E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average. Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 12:27 AM   #21
ManUtd8

My Ride: '01 325i StahlGrau
Awesome write up, subscribed for future diy!
ManUtd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:02 PM   #22
alibusoul

My Ride: TiAg e46 Vert
this DIY is really not as bad as everyone says it is as long as you have that tool

But I bought the UUC polyurethane red bushings but they didnt fit in the carrier the metal rod in the middle was BARELY too long... is it ok if i bend the carrier and jam it in there? I was too afraid to do that so i just put the old bushings back in and called it a day... anyone have this experience??
Old 06-10-2009, 06:27 AM   #23
TiAg323ci

My Ride: 2000 323ci
I recently did the Meyle FCAB's and was planning on doing the RTAB's soon. Should I stay with the Meyle's on the RTAB's or use the Powerflex???
TiAg323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #24
bmwAlex

My Ride: '00 323i
Awesome DIY. I will definately be doing this in the near future.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:57 PM   #25
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
Thanks Alex......please post your review when you are done
Old 06-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #26
Polish_328Ci

My Ride: M3
My Powerflex bushings finally came in yesterday! They were on back order for 2 weeks from EAS
Just finished work not too long ago and I got a few things to take care of and then it's showtime! Hopefully I can get this done in under an hour haha
Old 06-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #27
Denlin68

My Ride: 335i -->330i
Send a message via AIM to Denlin68
FUDGE... The DIY seems like it doesnt mess up the alignment. I paid a local sponsor here to intsall UUC RTAB bushings and it messed up my alignment and I had to pay another private BMW shop for an alignment..... kinda piss.
2003 330i: Mtech front bumper - Orien V2 Angel Eyes - K&N Drop In Filter - AC Schnitzer Front Strut - TMS Front + Back Sways - UUC RTAB - M Sport Front Control Arm - Powerflex FCAB - Fuel Filter - Rogue RSM - KW V1 - Valve Gasket Cover

Last edited by Denlin68; 06-21-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Denlin68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #28
mr. vapor

My Ride: '06 Carbon Black ZCP
guys,
no matter how well you scribe the bracket before you do the install, 95% of you will need an alignment. there is just no way to keep everything "as it was"

the primary issue you'll be facing is the toe of the rear wheels. Just an FYI, do it right and figure a rear end alignment.

[Powerflex RTABs] [Black kidneys/grilles] [Depo corner lights] [Powdercoated 19" CSL ] [235/265 CSL spec Potenza Pole Positions] [Smoked reflectors] [30% tint]
mr. vapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:30 PM   #29
Denlin68

My Ride: 335i -->330i
Send a message via AIM to Denlin68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. vapor View Post
guys,
no matter how well you scribe the bracket before you do the install, 95% of you will need an alignment. there is just no way to keep everything "as it was"

the primary issue you'll be facing is the toe of the rear wheels. Just an FYI, do it right and figure a rear end alignment.
I feel abit better, But the shop installed UUC RTAB to more than 30 E46 before I did and I even messaged a 2 members asking once they got RTAB installed from that shop did they need an alignment, and they got back and said no. But i was unlucky i guess.
2003 330i: Mtech front bumper - Orien V2 Angel Eyes - K&N Drop In Filter - AC Schnitzer Front Strut - TMS Front + Back Sways - UUC RTAB - M Sport Front Control Arm - Powerflex FCAB - Fuel Filter - Rogue RSM - KW V1 - Valve Gasket Cover
Denlin68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:11 PM   #30
Polish_328Ci

My Ride: M3
I got a chance to install the powerflex bushings on saturday. All I have to say is these things are awesome! No more noise, no more bump steer and car handles a tad better. Very happy with the results

I'll be getting an alignment in the near future anyways, I just have to replace my siezed tierods first.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:22 AM   #31
Luky

My Ride: '08 335i RIP'03 330i
Thanks for the awesome DIY. Got my RTAB tool in the mail today and I will be changing to the powerflex RTABs and FCABs (with new Meyle HD control arms) tomorrow. 77k miles and I can tell it is pretty sloppy. I can't wait for it to drive like it was new again...

Here is a suggestion for all you fanatics, when you first get your car, go to Firestone and get a "life time" 4 wheel alignment. It was like $150 but after just 3 alignments it has paid for itself. (This time will be #5). You can get an alignment every time you get new tires if you want...
Luky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:21 AM   #32
fmzip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luky View Post
Here is a suggestion for all you fanatics, when you first get your car, go to Firestone and get a "life time" 4 wheel alignment. It was like $150 but after just 3 alignments it has paid for itself. (This time will be #5). You can get an alignment every time you get new tires if you want...
Great idea!
Old 07-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #33
Rooz

My Ride: 2003 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luky View Post
Thanks for the awesome DIY. Got my RTAB tool in the mail today and I will be changing to the powerflex RTABs and FCABs (with new Meyle HD control arms) tomorrow. 77k miles and I can tell it is pretty sloppy. I can't wait for it to drive like it was new again...

Yeah but how often can you go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
VIEW MOD LIST & PICS
Rooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:32 AM   #34
Luky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
Yeah but how often can you go?

As often as you need to... One is located only about 2-3 miles from my house, but I still wind up dropping the car off and having to wait half a day (or more) to get it back. If you bring it in every week they may look at you funny... Once a year or anytime you do suspension work is probably sufficient.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:47 PM   #35
Rooz

My Ride: 2003 M5
lol, was thinking more along the lines of every 6-8 months or so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
VIEW MOD LIST & PICS
Rooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:42 AM   #36
Luky

Finished the RTABs and FCAB/control arms today. The RTABs were even easier than I expected. Using an impact wrench and the RTAB tool I pulled the old bushings from the arms in just 12 seconds each (yes I timed it the 2nd time). Definitly the way to go. I would rate this between a oil change and swapping brake pads as far as difficulty. Gotta love them air tools... My wife bought me the air compressor for my birthday about 8 or 9 years ago and thought it was a stupid thing to want, but now she sees how it can be really useful.

Front lower control arms and FCABs were just as easy, but a little more time consuming getting the nuts off the inside ball joint with a box end wrench 1/16 turn at a time . Used a pickel fork and 3lb sledge to pop the ball joints. Putting it back together was a breeze. Again, gotta love them air tools!

Only major problem was I managed to misplace the wheel lock key (turned 42 today and I must be going senile ) after I finished the RTABs and went to lunch. I then had to drive 25min to San Diego BMW to use their master set to pull the wheel locks so I could do the fronts. Great guys in the parts department! Ordered a new "key" for about $7.50. That added about an hour to my job...

Originally I had called Brecht BMW in Escondido (about 10 min from my house) and asked if I could come up and use their master set and the guy told me sure, no problem, Minimum charge is $90. I said "$90??? Seriously??? Just to loosen the wheel locks so I can pull them out?" The guy got all defensive and said they would have to get out the set and find the right key, put it up on a rack(???), minimum charge, blah blah blah. Now thats "Customer Service" from a real Stealership! I swear I will NEVER go back to that place even though it is the BMW dealer closest to my house. Luckily there are 4 or 5 BMW dealers in the San Diego area so I can still get what I need when its urgent.

Now I just take it in for an alignment in the morning (Seems to be driving OK now anyway)...
Old 08-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #37
MysticBlueM3

My Ride: 2005 M3, MT6
Is the tool used to remove and install the RTABs the same you use to replace the FCABs? I'm trying to figure out what tools I have the have in order to replace both. Does that tools you linked to work for both? GREAT DIY by the way! ver yhelpful with all the pics too!
MysticBlueM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #38
NikolaiD

My Ride: 2002 M3C
Send a message via AIM to NikolaiD Send a message via MSN to NikolaiD Send a message via Yahoo to NikolaiD Send a message via Skype™ to NikolaiD
I had no trouble getting the RTABs out with a chisel and a hammer, just hit the metal frame from the outside and keep hitting it. It'll bend in and come out of the inside...
Maybe 30 secs a piece. In my opinion not worth spending the money for a special tool. Definitely helps though.

My Ride: 2002 M3C

NikolaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:17 PM   #39
fmzip

The tool I linked is for the RtAB's only....I think you need a three armed puller for the FCAB's
Old 08-02-2009, 12:38 AM   #40
MysticBlueM3

My Ride: 2005 M3, MT6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
The tool I linked is for the RtAB's only....I think you need a three armed puller for the FCAB's
OK. thanks for the info. I'm going to start working on getting more specific bearing/bushing pressing and pulling tools so I can do more on our cars. Once again, great write-up!

...and NikolaiDelov - I think I'll leave the chiseling up to you.

Last edited by MysticBlueM3; 08-02-2009 at 12:42 AM.
MysticBlueM3 is offline   Reply With Quote