E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 03:27 AM   #1
rovert

My Ride: Zaps Horse Poo!!
Send a message via ICQ to rovert Send a message via AIM to rovert Send a message via MSN to rovert Send a message via Yahoo to rovert
Where's my oil going?

Hey guys,

My car is a 2003 330 with about 170,000 miles on her. I just did an oil change exactly 1,000 miles ago and she's complaining with a yellow oil light which means I'm down a quart. I'm using Mobil1 0w-40.

I've always had to top up frequently with my car for years and just wondering if it is normal to lose that much oil in 1,000 miles. I have no leaks on the ground, nor do I see or hear complaints about blue smoke out the exhaust under WOT. I do drive spiritedly 5% of my driving and I am known to hit redline most of the times I go out at least once.

I always let the car warm up when cold and never beat on her until she's been in the middle coolant zone for at least 5-10 minutes.

Other than that she runs like a champ and even my good friend who's a BMW tech says my car feels quicker than other ZHP's he's driven. Is there anything I should be looking for?
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:45 AM   #2
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
I use 0w40 without any oil consumption. Any signs of an oil leak either spots on the driveway or engine bay leaks?
Old 05-31-2009, 03:58 AM   #3
rovert

Send a message via ICQ to rovert Send a message via AIM to rovert Send a message via MSN to rovert Send a message via Yahoo to rovert
None of that. I have access to a hoist just about anytime I want and every couple months we check over everything to make sure nothing is wearing or leaking. Everything is clean! That's the only issue with my car, she likes to eat oil.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:59 AM   #4
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Try adding another quart and seeing if the same thing happens again. If so THEN we've got problems.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:00 AM   #5
rovert

My car's always been going through a quart of oil faster than I think...ever since I bought her. I just never recorded it until my friend told me to document everything.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:04 AM   #6
SHOF

My Ride: has a turbo
Might check around the Valve cover gasket or oil retention gasket
Old 05-31-2009, 04:16 AM   #7
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
That's not too surprising for a high mileage engine that's driven hard. You said it still runs well so it's probably not the piston rings, but you could get it compression tested to be sure. Sounds more like a leaky valve guide to me.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:59 AM   #8
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Maybe check the dipstick first? You might have a faulty oil level sensor
Old 06-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
rovert

My BMW tech friend said that oil burning in our cars isn't viewed as excessive until you go through one quart per 600 miles. Oh and I was wrong about my mileage. My car has 112,700 miles on her.

I average about 25MPG when I'm driving around town so I'm relatively light on the throttle until it's time to pretend I just stole my car from the stealership once and a while. The highway I get from 28-34 depending on my mood and traffic.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #10
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
When it`s time to change your oil (and when it`s a quart low), add a quart of ATF, and run the engine at fast idle (around 2000-2500 RPMs) for 15 or 20 minutes. Drain oil, install a new filter, and some good dino oil like Castrol GTX 10W-40. Run this oil for 3000 miles, and during this period, drive it *agressively*, running it up to redline frequently. After 3000 miles, change oil & filter, switching back to your normal synthetic oil, and see if you note any improvement.

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #11
rovert

What does that do/help for the internals?

I'm ignorant at that as I look at filling a spray bottle with regular water versus thicker water for example. Once I return to regular water it's still going to shoot the same.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
SeanC

It might help to read thread below (which is where I copied and pasted the above info). You might be suffering from a bad break-in early in your car's life.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=4192913

Old 06-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #13
rovert

Wow thanks for that link. It's very informative and amazing to learn what a company can do to it's users/workers/cars because of money/politics. I will be looking into this further.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #14
silv3rstr3ak

My Ride: 01 TiAg 330i
i'm having the same issue... what are you planning on doing?
Old 06-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #15
iamhydrogen

My Ride: '01 330ci ZSP
OP - any updates regarding your increased consumption issue?
Old 06-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #16
rovert

Still using the same oil right now. This won't be an overnight solve for sure. I haven't had to top up yet so I'm just recording my top up intervals throughout this oil change then I will do the ATF flush method when it's time to change. I'll let you guys know when it happens.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:49 AM   #17
Many330i

My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
When it`s time to change your oil (and when it`s a quart low), add a quart of ATF, and run the engine at fast idle (around 2000-2500 RPMs) for 15 or 20 minutes. Drain oil, install a new filter, and some good dino oil like Castrol GTX 10W-40. Run this oil for 3000 miles, and during this period, drive it *agressively*, running it up to redline frequently. After 3000 miles, change oil & filter, switching back to your normal synthetic oil, and see if you note any improvement.
I'm currently running this regimen. Over the weekend I added a quart of ATF and ran the engine with no load for 20mins reving the engine across. Afterwards, I added 7q of Castrol 10W-40 and drove from 300miles. I'll keep you posted of progress as well, needless to say the car sort of feel weird, like too smooth or something...
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:02 AM   #18
Many330i

My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
I'm currently running this regimen. Over the weekend I added a quart of ATF and ran the engine with no load for 20mins reving the engine across. Afterwards, I added 7q of Castrol 10W-40 and drove from 300miles. I'll keep you posted of progress as well, needless to say the car sort of feel weird, like too smooth or something...
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:12 AM   #19
rovert

^

I'm glad you able to give it a shot before me! What kind of oil consumption have you been getting? And how long do you think it will take to get to the 3,000 mile interval? Thanks for posting and I look forward to your findings. What year is your car and what's your current odometer reading?
Old 06-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #20
SeanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Many330i View Post
Glad to hear the progress. There's nothing to about it now, is there? Smoothness indicates that you have gotten rid of a lot of dirt from your crankcase and burning chamber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovert View Post
^

I'm glad you able to give it a shot before me! What kind of oil consumption have you been getting? And how long do you think it will take to get to the 3,000 mile interval? Thanks for posting and I look forward to your findings. What year is your car and what's your current odometer reading?
Before trying this (since you have some time to do so), do yourself a favor and dump one of these in your fuel tank and fill it up:

I was getting a little bit of consumption on the 5er myself but this seems to have the problem go away (I reset the trip counter everytime I top off the oil and the oil message hasn't come back for 600 miles, usually I'd need to add about 1/3 qt every 200-300 miles). I thought you might want to give it a try.

I will of course do the ATF routine when it's time for an oil change.