E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #41
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
You must be forgetting how successful guerrilla warfare is, even against our own troops in the sandbox at this very moment.
Trust me, I'm not forgetting. Fact of the matter is or policy does not want "needless" deaths by civilians, that's what's 'limiting' our success. If we employed WWII style carpet bombing and whatever else, that conflict would have been over long ago. Unfortunately millions of innocents would die, thus those tactics cannot be used. But I think it's silly for anyone to think that their rag-tag forces are really holding the might of the United States at bay. We're trying to not kill anyone that shouldn't be killed, that's what's keeping us at bay.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #42
hotcarl01

My Ride: facelifted
Every single thread based around guns in any way turns into a mess, not just this site but any other I have ever been a part of.

Just a few examples of stupid comments either already made or soon to be made are as follows.....

-Guns are for pvssies/wimps/losers etc
-Protect our FREEDOM!!!!
-My first amendment rights say I can so I do
-If you don't like it move to Canada
-If you like it move to America
-I like to protect my family and possessions

And on and on,

Personally I could care less, I live in Canada where we have no rights, live in igloos, drive ski doos and can't carry a concealed weapon.

I'm kinda weird when it comes to guns, like most guys I like them a lot but I personally don't like hunting. I especially hate the losers who call hiding in the top of a tree, waiting for a deer to walk by so they can shoot it and then call it hunting. Please, that's called fat and lazy you jerks.
hotcarl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #43
LoveMyBMW

My Ride: 2004 330i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
There will be nothing you can/could do. Sure you can kill a few service members that are following the orders of their Commander in Chief, but you're not going to stop an Abrams tank.

Tom Hanks could stop an Abrams tank with a sticky bomb....
And Patrick Swayze and the Wolverines could stop one with a cheerleader on a bike and some Molotov cocktails....

Last edited by LoveMyBMW; 06-01-2009 at 05:51 PM.
LoveMyBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #44
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

My Ride: 2011 Tundra Crewmax
We don't need to ban guns. 30 thousand people die a year because of guns. How many people die a year because of cigarettes? 500,000? Let's focus our energy on something more important. Guns don't kill people. People kill people and so do cigarettes.

SQ sound system
Seas Nextel Mids, Focal Utopia Mids, Focal BE tweeters, JL Audio 13tw5, Alpine PDX-4.150, Alpine PDX-1.600, Audison Bit One processor, Pioneer z150 hu

Last edited by learthworml; 06-01-2009 at 05:53 PM.
learthworml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:51 PM   #45
Goughie

My Ride: 330d Sport Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
A gun has never, in the history of the world, killed a single person
Seriously, it's comments like this that does a massive dis-service to your cause JJ. No right minded person could really see this comment as anything other than massively blinkered. I'll bet you $100 that you're not this literal in most other aspects of your life.

Do you not comprehend that the gun cannot function without a human and by extrapolation the two (when used to kill) are simply two parts of the same device? By their very nature, relative ease of use and most importantly their primary function, people are simply more likely to kill with them when guns are in the hands of a populace than in populations where they are (generally) not.

Your point about your constitutional right to bear arms is a bit of a red herring in this argument. If your reading of the constitution is so formed, then that is your perogative - it does not affect the basic premise of what I am saying.

Whilst I understand your arguments regarding the safe use of guns by the majority of law abiding owners, you simply cannot ignore the fact that, despite the assertions of the gun lobby about guns being safe, you have over 10,000 people killed each year in the US by firearms who would no doubt see things very differently.

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010

Last edited by Goughie; 06-01-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Goughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #46
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post

At the moment, I don't have time to type out the hundreds of restrictions and bans that have been made with regard to guns or how many more hundred are on the table, but I will mention one for now (more to follow later).

Assault Weapons Ban, NY State. I have a house there, it affects my right to possess almost any of my firearms on my own property in that state, the very property I and my family have paid tax on for over 30 years.
I guess I just take a bit of 'offense' (not really the word I'm looking for as that sounds too strong) to the insinuation (maybe I'm just perceiving that) that now all of a sudden the amount of restrictions is shooting through the roof as though the current POTUS has done much of anything concerning guns.

Quote:
Yea, alot of Americans died. Not something to be proud of quite frankly, but it also wasn't solely about a provision and right granted by the Constitution. Where as "all men are created equal" was the argument the North touted, gun owners point to "the right to keep and bear arms." The South was doomed to lose and their position was one not supported by the Constitution, just as the argument anti-gun people make is not supported by that document.
You stated that there'd be a civil war in 50 years, I'm pointing out the last time a bunch of states banded together to start their on Confederation of states it didn't turn out good for them (or the North, i.e. dead folks).

Quote:
This government continues to restrict the sale and possession of firearms by all but the military. At the current rate restrictions and bans are imposed, gun ownership will be non-existent in a few decades.
And they should continue to restrict sales and types of weapons available to civilians. Am I saying folks shouldn't be able to purchase handguns, rifles, shotguns and the like? Nope. But you also shouldn't be able to get Stinger missiles or 50 cal sniper riffles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyBMW View Post
Tom Hanks could stop an Abrams tank with a sticky bomb....
And Patrick Swayze and the Wolverines could stop one with a cheerleader on a bike and some Molotov cocktails....
Touché my friend, Touché.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:58 PM   #47
brew

My Ride: F150 X5 MR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcarl01 View Post
I'm kinda weird when it comes to guns, like most guys I like them a lot but I personally don't like hunting. I especially hate the losers who call hiding in the top of a tree, waiting for a deer to walk by so they can shoot it and then call it hunting. Please, that's called fat and lazy you jerks.
Hunting for most hunters I know is about harvesting cheap protein from the woods so they can feed their families. It's not about some kind of crazy spirit quest battle with nature. I don't have a problem with tree stands or the like and I don't consider those people lazy.

Back on point to the gun question:

You should point out to your brother that in the US, the police do not have an obligation to help you. If someone is breaking into your house and you call the cops - they don't have to come. There's no liability for cops for ignoring calls. That means that you are ultimately responsible for defending you and your family.

Also, what does your brother think about people who live in the sticks - where coyote and cougar are very real problems? And where it might take cops 30 minutes to respond to an emergency call? Should they be allowed to own guns? If not, why? If they are upstanding law abiding people who won't shoot unless it's necessary?
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:58 PM   #48
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcarl01 View Post
I was fine with your post until this portion. Have you ever been hunting? You obviously have no clue at all what you're talking about with regards to hunting.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #49
LoveMyBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goughie View Post
Seriously, it's comments like this that does a massive dis-service to your cause JJ. No right minded person could really see this comment as anything other than massively blinkered. I'll bet you $100 that you're not this literal in most other aspects of your life.

Do you not comprehend that the gun cannot function without a human and by extrapolation the two (when used to kill) are simply two parts of the same device? By their very nature, relative ease of use and most importantly their primary function, people are simply more likely to kill with them when guns are in the hands of a populace than in populations where they are (generally) not.

Your point about your constitutional right to bear arms is a bit of a red herring in this argument. If your reading of the constitution is so formed, then that is your perogative - it does not affect the basic premise of what I am saying.

Whilst I understand your arguments regarding the safe use of guns by the majority of law abiding owners, you simply cannot ignore the fact that, despite the assertions of the gun lobby about guns being safe, you have over 10,000 people killed each year in the US by firearms who would no doubt see things very differently.
Gun deaths = 10,000 per year = .003 percent, or 3 thousandths of one percent (population 300,000,000)

You have not specified how many of these are suicides, accidents, or homicides. This additional data, I surmise, would serve to make this percentage even more insignificant.

Auto accident deaths are 5 times greater = approx. 50,000 per year = 0.016 percent, or 16 thousandths of one percent, and nobody suggest banning cars.

In short: PERSPECTIVE! Use it or lose it.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #50
Goughie

Quote:
Gun deaths = 10,000 per year = .003 percent, or 3 thousandths of one percent (population 300,000,000)

You have not specified how many of these are suicides, accidents, or homicides. This additional data, I surmise, would serve to make this percentage even more insignificant.

Auto accident deaths are 5 times greater = approx. 50,000 per year = 0.016 percent, or 16 thousandths of one percent, and nobody suggest banning cars.

In short: PERSPECTIVE! Use it or lose it.
You're missing my point. It matters not if gun crimes are suicides or homicides. In both cases the desired result was death. Just as the majority of fatal RTA's are just that - accidents. It's the intent of usage of the gun or car that's key to my argument. Guns are designed to be used to kill, cars are not.

In short - design function - understand it or step away from the car...

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010
Old 06-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #51
LoveMyBMW

Quote:
You're missing my point. It matters not if gun crimes are suicides or homicides. In both cases the desired result was death. Just as the majority of fatal RTA's are just that - accidents. It's the intent of usage of the gun or car that's key to my argument. Guns are designed to be used to kill, cars are not.

In short - design function - understand it or step away from the car...
Nah, not buying it.

design function of gun = shoot projectile long distances at high velocity
design function of knives = hard cutting edge cleaves softer materials
design function of explosives = pressure wave due to expanding gasses

All three can be used, and are usually used, for the benefit of mankind, and yet all three can be misused to kill people.

I can also use things not designed for killing to kill people. Anything with enough mass can crush if accelerated into someone's head or body, many otherwise useful substances can be used to poison people.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #52
Goughie

Quote:
Nah, not buying it.

design function of gun = shoot projectile long distances at high velocity
design function of knives = hard cutting edge cleaves softer materials
design function of explosives = pressure wave due to expanding gasses

All three can be used, and are usually used, for the benefit of mankind, and yet all three can be misused to kill people.

I can also use things not designed for killing to kill people. Anything with enough mass can crush if accelerated into someone's head or body, many otherwise useful substances can be used to poison people.
You think guns are primarily used for the benefit of mankind? This is where I take the high road and you the low...

Old 06-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #53
NicB.

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
Your brother is a sheep. BAAAAAAAH...BAAAAAAAH. Guns are bad...BAAAAAAAH...guns kill people...BAAAAAAAH...guns are scary...BAAAAAAAH.

I love guns. Constitutional rights FTW!
Old 06-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #54
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Feel free to post up the arguments worthy of being discussed.
So I can be called a sheep and an idiot by the pro gun rights people? Or so that I can be called a barbaric Bible hugging redneck by the pro gun control people?

No thanks.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #55
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
you have over 10,000 people killed each year in the US by firearms who would no doubt see things very differently.
More people are killed every year while engaging in rough sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #56
hotcarl01

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
I was fine with your post until this portion. Have you ever been hunting? You obviously have no clue at all what you're talking about with regards to hunting.
I'll be honest I haven't hunted since I was about 16 with my Dad. He was a pretty big hunter, at the time I was cool with it. Now there is something about it I don't like, and by that I mean for myself, not others. I never said I have a problem with hunters, just the lazy one's who sit in those perch things a top a tree and wait for their prey to walk by as opposed to them hunting it down themselves.

I eat a **** load of meat so I wouldn't even pretend to be bothered by the act of the kill, just not for me personally.

Plus all hunters (that I know) do it for the sport, not specifically to feed their families, they keep the meat yes but they don't rely on it to avoid starvation or anything. I could show you pictures of my girl friends dads hunting garage that would blow your mind, so much stuff dedicated to hunting everything under the sun. ( I like to go in there and handle the guns)

I didn't mean to get off topic, sorry.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:07 PM   #57
hotcarl01

oh and I forgot to add this to my original post, shoot, its the most obvious one.

-guns don't kill people, people kill people
Old 06-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #58
Satanachia

My Ride: 323CI 323I
Me haha

I carry mine 24/7. In case some thug tries to take my sh!t, or break in my house or f**k with me!!!!!!!!!! Security... Better than ADT, Brinks, ect, ect.. Imo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m up.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	317557  
Satanachia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #59
DME46

My Ride: has free candy.
95% of the people who oppose legal gun ownership have never even fired one.

Pvssies.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #60
Allure
Banned

My Ride: Is Slower Than Yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by DME46 View Post
95% of the people who oppose legal gun ownership have never even fired one.

Pvssies.
No you are the ***** because you can't defend yourself without a gun
Allure is offline   Reply With Quote