E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
danielkspencer

My Ride: 2006 Mustang GT
Factory Nav to Single Din. . . Trouble, too????

Thinking of getting rid of my factory nav and going to a single din aftermarket deck. Is it much trouble to do. I see the Double din switch is killer. . .

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
mit

My Ride: 00 325Ci Convertible
Double din is not *that* hard. Probably less effort than switching your nav to single DIN and getting the climate control relocated etc.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
danielkspencer

Why would I have to relocate my climate control, it's way below the nav unit. Wouldn't the single din just go in the nav hole with a face plate kit???
Old 05-31-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
you're crazy to ditch the factory Nav. Update the software first, get new maps. You can do so much with an MKIV system.

Order this from your local dealer or at www.getbmwparts.com

version 32 Nav update CD.

Part # 01590141891
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...01&fg=70&hl=12

Here's the install instructions:

SIB 652102

SI B65 21 02
Audio, Navigation, Monitors, Alarms, SRSJune 2008
Technical Service
This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B65 21 02 dated March 2008.
designates changes to this revision
SUBJECT
Navigation System Operating Software

MODEL
E38 (7 Series)
E39 (5 Series)
E46 (3 Series)
E53 (X5)
E83 (X3)
E85, E86 (Z4)
E65, E66 (7 Series)

INFORMATION
With the introduction of the navigation system operating software V32, there are currently 2 valid versions of navigation software:

1. Navigation system operating software V17.1 is used on MK III systems without the "split screen".
2. Navigation system operating software V32 is used on MK I, MK II, MK III navigation systems with split screen, DVD-Top navigation systems (MK IV) on I-Bus vehicles and NAVI01, NAVI02, NAVI03 on E65/E66 vehicles.

CORRECTION
Navigation system operating software should be updated under the following circumstances:

* There are no corrections or new data for the US market included.
* The navigation computer has been replaced.
* Progman prompts the navigation software to be updated during programming/coding.
* If instructed by a Service Information bulletin or the Regional Technical Engineer (RTE).

CORRECTIONS INTRODUCED WITH PRIOR NAVIGATION SOFTWARE V31
NAVI03 and DVD-Top NAV system-improved software for:

* Reading dual layer DVDs
* Loading voice files

CORRECTIONS INTRODUCED WITH PRIOR NAVIGATION SOFTWARE V30

* E65 and E66: Navigation system is inoperative after arrival at destination
* E65 and E66: Incorrect address book

NEW FEATURES INTRODUCED WITH NAVIGATION SOFTWARE V32
No new features
FEATURES INTRODUCED WITH PRIOR NAVIGATION SOFTWARE V31 AND V30
No new features
FEATURES INTRODUCED WITH PRIOR NAVIGATION SOFTWARE V29
Destination input screen text changes:

* "State/Province" instead of "Country"
* "City/Postal Code" instead of "City/ZIP"
* "Town/City" instead of "City" (only in conjunction with road maps before 2006-2)

FEATURES INTRODUCED WITH PRIOR NAVIGATION SOFTWARE V28
E83, E85, and E86 - software fix for the following display/flap issues:

* Display turns back on after switching "Monitor off".
* Flap opens/closes by itself.
* Flap doesn't open.

FEATURES INTRODUCED WITH PRIOR NAVIGATION SOFTWARE V27
Only E46 (3 Series), E53 (X5), E83 (X3), E85 (Z4) with the DVD-Top navigation system:

* Disclaimer screen disappears automatically after 8 seconds.
* City/Town names displayed in the map.

E46 (3 Series), E53 (X5), E83 (X3), E85 (Z4) with the DVD-Top navigation system;
E65, E66 (7 Series) DVD NAVI03 (from 03/05):
Destination input when "Country" (United States or Canada) is selected via:

* ZIP code (only for the United States)
* City name

Destination input when a US state or a Canadian province is selected via:

* Street name
* City name
* ZIP code (only for the United States)

Note - Only in conjunction with NAVTEQ DVD road Map 2006-2 or a more recent version:

* POI (Point of Interest) icons and "City center" icons are displayed together.
* Travel Information (TMC) is no longer displayed (is inactive and not selectable).
* Entries in "Address Book/Last Destination" displayed as:
o City name, street name (destination entry via city name)
o ZIP code, city name, street name (destination entry via ZIP code)
* Product information
* Legal disclaimer for usage of the navigation system and the data on the NAVTEQ road maps
* How to report missing or incorrect data feedback to NAVTEQ:

Phone: 1-888-navteq9 (628-8379)
Email: bmwmaps@navteq.com
FEATURES INTRODUCED WITH PRIOR NAVIGATION SOFTWARE V26

* The actual location is shown as an arrow in a circle.
* The destination is marked with a checkered flag.
* Map positioning in "travel direction" can now be selected in scales up to 100 mi.
* Disabled POI icons are now selectable on I-Bus DVD NAV systems in:
o General Destinations
o Travel Information
* The following functions are now selectable on the E65 and E66 with NAVI03 (from 03/2005):
o Hide Map icons
o General destinations and travel information

After loading NAVI SW V32, the vehicle must be driven to ensure the proper functioning of the navigation system and the correct display of road number icons (e.g., interstate icons).

CHECKING THE SOFTWARE VERSION

DVD-Top navigation system for I-Bus vehicles (MKIV)
The software version is shown in the top right corner of the "setting" screen. The software/hardware version is displayed as "4-1/00". The numbers have the following meanings: the first digit, 4, is a 4th generation navigation system (DVD); the second digit, 1, is a 1st device variant (top navigation - DVD color screen); the last two digits, 00, are the software version of the graphic component (10.0).

Current Software Versions
Software version
Application
DVD-Top Navigation

LOADING SOFTWARE (ALL EXCEPT THE E65 AND E66)
For MK I, MK II, MK III, and DVD-Top NAV systems (except for the E65 and E66), use the following software loading instructions:

1. Turn the ignition to position 1 (terminal R).

Do not cycle the key or perform diagnosis while installing the new software. Make sure that the power supply is stable, i.e., do not switch on any electrical loads.

1. Activate "GPS-Navigation" and acknowledge the screen disclaimer by pushing the rotary knob on the board monitor.
2. Remove the map CD from the navigation computer by pressing the "Eject" button.
3. Insert the navigation software CD (V17.1 P/N 01 59 9 789 299 index "x" for Mk III without the split screen; V32 P/N 01 59 0 141 891 index "y" for all other versions).
4. Mark I System (up to 9/97 production):

After a few seconds, the BMW roundel will appear on the board monitor and will be "filled in" clockwise to show the progress of loading (approx. 4-6 minutes).
Mark II System (from 9/97 production)
Mark III System (E46 from 06/00 and E38, E39, and E52 from 09/00 production)
DVD-Top navigation system (E46, E39, E52 from 09/02 and E53, E85 from 10/02 production):
After a few seconds, a menu of notes on the loading procedure and the "Progress" bar appear on the board monitor.
When the loading process has been completed, the message "Software has been successfully loaded" is displayed.

1. Remove the navigation system operating software CD and confirm the end of the loading process by pressing the rotary knob on the board monitor. "OK" appears in the display.
2. Drive the vehicle before delivering it to the customer to ensure that the navigation system is functioning and displaying (interstate icons) correctly.

Last edited by sna77; 05-31-2009 at 11:06 PM.
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:48 PM   #5
danielkspencer

I can do so much? ? ? ? other than the Navigation the deck sucks. Poor sound quality, 2 band EQ, No separate sub control, Poor frequency response . . . Not even in the ball park with what a good Pioneer head unit can do or sound like. What is the So Much it can do? ? ? I'm probably going to keep it because of the amount of trouble to change it and the cost, but please, make me feel better about it.

I don't think the Update will make me a bit happier, I have no prob with the Nav ( never even use it ) I'm just used to much much much better systems than this and it's hard to upgrade with a factory unit, not to mention this maze of electrionics and components.

Last edited by danielkspencer; 05-31-2009 at 11:51 PM.
danielkspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:02 AM   #6
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkspencer View Post
I can do so much? ? ? ? other than the Navigation the deck sucks. Poor sound quality, 2 band EQ, No separate sub control, Poor frequency response . . . Not even in the ball park with what a good Pioneer head unit can do or sound like. What is the So Much it can do? ? ? I'm probably going to keep it because of the amount of trouble to change it and the cost, but please, make me feel better about it.

I don't think the Update will make me a bit happier, I have no prob with the Nav ( never even use it ) I'm just used to much much much better systems than this and it's hard to upgrade with a factory unit, not to mention this maze of electrionics and components.
Updates the operating system of the DVD drive, which powers the entire screen, including Nav. It is cheap, and makes a noticeable difference.

With the stock Nav system, you can integrate OEM Bluetooth, voice-recognition, TV, reverse camera, DVD, Sirius, iPod (with the Intravee II). You can pick up a cheap program called NavCoder and reprogram your car via the iBus... SO yeah, there is a ton you can do--all stock too.

As for sound, as someone mentioned above, you can upgrade speakers, amps etc, and keep the stock interface.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #7
danielkspencer

Ok now you got my attention!!!!!! I already have the DVD/Backup Cam kit installed with the FM modulator. Works ok. I don't really care about the Bluetooth or Voice Recognition either. But an Mp3 hookup would be great. Does it have to be an iPod???? And what do you mean reprogram the car???? Like change multiple settings or just stuff to do with the deck/nav etc.??????
Old 06-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #8
xJustin

My Ride: '04 330ci
Send a message via AIM to xJustin
has anyone tried this update?

xJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #9
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Ok now you got my attention!!!!!! I already have the DVD/Backup Cam kit installed with the FM modulator. Works ok. I don't really care about the Bluetooth or Voice Recognition either. But an Mp3 hookup would be great. Does it have to be an iPod???? And what do you mean reprogram the car???? Like change multiple settings or just stuff to do with the deck/nav etc.??????

Start checking out x5world's Navigation site, tons of good info on there... The device I was referring to is NavCoder... I used it to program a Bluetooth ULF and also to change my voice to a UK lady...
http://www.xoutpost.com/electronics/navigation-system/

All ibus BMW's use the same system, so e38, e39, x3, old x5's all use the same system... You have an MKIV system, which is the newest, DVD based system. With the software upgrade I linked you can have the same functionality that the 2009's X3's had (the last of the ibus vehicles).

You have a few options for MP3 integration.

There is an OEM Aux adapter for cars with Nav ($30 at dealer). Thats's the standard headphone jack that you can install anywhere.
http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catal...1845f5dfc0666f

With OEM Nav and an iPod and an Intravee 2, you can have full control of an ipod and search etc. Its worth buying a used 5th generation ipod and just sticking it in the trunk. Check out the youtube video in the link below, and skip to halfway through when they start discussing the Intarvee II.
http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catal...e7a0f4c70fc8b4

If you have a DVD / backup camera installed already, ditch the FM modulator, run the audio to the AUX input adapter I listed above, and pickup a Nav-TV BMWV+ module. Its plug and play and supports 2 video inputs and auto switching for the reverse module.
http://www.navtv.com/product/12/bmwv-.html
Old 06-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
danielkspencer

so the upgrade is only $7??? Wow. Sounds easy. I really want the AUX Jack. That would help out. Is it an easy instally? Since it's a Nav car does it have to run to the trunk to the "Brain" or just to the back of the Deck??
Thanks for all the help, I'm thinking I may give it a chance and keep it. Sometimes it flickers a little bit. Just dims and brightens for a few minutes and quits. I've been a little worried about that and didn't want to spend much on it if it was just going to crash soon. But for under 40 bucks I can at least do the upgrade and the Aux input and not be out much.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #11
Rog323

My Ride: 135I, 06 Treg V8
Quote:
Thinking of getting rid of my factory nav and going to a single din aftermarket deck. Is it much trouble to do. I see the Double din switch is killer. . .
Sell it to me, I will give you all the dash kit and relocation parts for a single din.

When idle time is expoentially increased the result is stupidity on a massive scale.
Rog323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:21 AM   #12
danielkspencer

Let me do a little more research first, SNA77 has got me interested now and my OCD will make me explore every option for a couple of weeks before I decide anything.

How much does the nav setup go for?? I'm sure it's up there for the entire package since the dash module is like 600 ish.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #13
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Let me do a little more research first, SNA77 has got me interested now and my OCD will make me explore every option for a couple of weeks before I decide anything.

How much does the nav setup go for?? I'm sure it's up there for the entire package since the dash module is like 600 ish.

I bought a complete Nav setup used for $1200 a month ago. Only ones from 03/04+ will fetch that much.

There are essentially 3 main components:

- widescreen CD (or tape)
- MKIV DVD drive in trunk
- BM53 radio module.

All components can individually be updated. The BM53 radio needs to be a certain software level to support AUX etc.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:45 PM   #14
danielkspencer

Ok SNA77 You convinced me. I'm keeping the Factory Nav System. Thanks again. I have the upgrade CD ordered. Not bad for just over $7.00!!!!! Next step is the Aux for sure. It should work in my MKIV, right???? I have been running a 10" Bazooka tube 200w internal amp. But I'm installing a custom 10" TrueBass hand made Sub with a 600w Pioneer amp this week. I think that will help a lot since I'll be able to cut the bass level down to neutral and let the sub do the work. Give me more power to the interiors. If not I'll be doing that amp and speakers too. SOON!!!!! Glad my bro is a MECCA builder. lol
Old 06-02-2009, 04:27 AM   #15
BmwAudio32

My Ride: 2004 Imola 330i ZHP
I would also support keeping the factory nav. I'm not sure why you think there is poor frequency response, it is the full 20 hz to 20 khz like any other cd player. The sound quality of both the nav and business cd are amongst the best i've seen in stock headunits, and if proper amps and speakers are added, nothing more than the 2 band EQ will be needed anyhow. What you want is a flat signal out of a headunit and the bmw ones are pretty good at doing just that. More than likely, you are blaming the overall sound of the system on the cd player, when it is really the factory amp's weak power output, poor speakers, and poor factory mounting locations causing the appparent lack of frequency response. I had multiple aftermarket headunits installed in my previous e46 including top end pioneers and I am still able to acheive the same or better sound in my current e46 with the stock headunit and an audiocontrol LC6 with aftermarket amps, and also I had zero noise from the beginning due to the differntial electronics.

Last edited by BmwAudio32; 06-02-2009 at 04:31 AM.
BmwAudio32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:28 AM   #16
danielkspencer

But I'm not used to stock Head Units!!!!!! And actually for it to be a BMW I would expect more. My Jeep sounds WAY better than my BMW and it's older and a lot cheaper. (I mean when it was stock, now it really thumps) But I'm keeping the Nav and seeing what I can do with it soundwise. But anybody with and stereo experience knows that even a cheap aftermarket headunit will USUALLY improve the overall sound of the car by itself. Not to mention the ease of upgraging an aftermarket unit vs. a factory.

I'm really concerned that my nav unit is going to crash anyway. It keeps flickering from time to time. Nothing serious just enough to notice. Is that common??????
Old 06-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #17
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
But I'm not used to stock Head Units!!!!!! And actually for it to be a BMW I would expect more. My Jeep sounds WAY better than my BMW and it's older and a lot cheaper. (I mean when it was stock, now it really thumps) But I'm keeping the Nav and seeing what I can do with it soundwise. But anybody with and stereo experience knows that even a cheap aftermarket headunit will USUALLY improve the overall sound of the car by itself. Not to mention the ease of upgraging an aftermarket unit vs. a factory.

I'm really concerned that my nav unit is going to crash anyway. It keeps flickering from time to time. Nothing serious just enough to notice. Is that common??????
All the parts of the Nav system are easily replaceable... Your DVD laser probably just needs to be replaced... Before you do though, UPDATE it. The software link contains more than 100 bug fixes since the version your running was released.

Also, are you using a legit maps DVD or burnt copy? The BMW laser has a hard time with burnt DVDs.

If the laser is toast, you just need to replace the reader in the DVD drive:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BMW-MK4-GPS-Navi...3%3A1|294%3A50
Old 06-02-2009, 08:49 AM   #18
BmwAudio32

My Ride: 2004 Imola 330i ZHP
Quote:

I know what you mean man, yes most other factory car stereos sound better than the BMW one, and its sort of sad when your girlfriend's 99 pontiac grand prix sounds better than your beamer does. Yes, the typical thing to do is to ugprade the headunit to an aftermarket headunit, and in most cases I'd agree with this because a lot of chryslyer/dodge/jeep/ford/gm headunits have these horrible built in EQ's not to mention they usually have garbage integrated amps that make it much more difficult if not impossible to get a good sound, hence getting a new HU is always the first step in those cars to better sound.

However, in the BMW's cases, the factory head puts out a really good flat signal with no "stock EQ", and on top of that it was meant to supply an amplifier from the beginning, so it functions more like a CD transport + pre-amp. It does just as good of a job as this as most aftermarket headunits would if they were set with all EQ turned off. And, to boot, it outputs a differntial balanced signal, which most aftermarket headunits do not do, and this makes it infinitely easier to eliminate noise and get a good signal to your amps. A seperate EQ unit would be much cheaper than a "comparable" headunit and could be added easily to the factory headunit, but would be much more tweakable than the built in EQ's of aftermarket decks.

I guess the short answer is that, yes, the BMW stereo is garbage sounding, however it is not due to the headunit, its due to the factory amp and poor speakers/speaker mounting locations.
BmwAudio32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:10 AM   #19
danielkspencer

SNA77 . . . It's the Factory DVD that's in it now, but I ordered the $7.00 upgrade you told me about from the dealer you sent me the link to. $18.00 shipping by the way. lol
I dont' think it's the laser because the screen flickers when I'm not even using the NAV at all. Sound right??

I had just heard that the flicker was the first sign it was going bad, but after some research today I'm seeing that it seems to be a pretty common thing and is either a bad battery cell, a bad fuse connection, or something the upgrade will fix.

I figure I'll just keep it and milk it as long as I can and then go aftermarket if it dies. No way I'd pay what it costs to replace it. I'll keep you guys posted as to how it sounds when I put the comp sub in it in a few days. I think that will help the sound a lot.

I removed my ski hole metal (two hard punches and it came out) to open up into the trunk for extra sound from the sub, too.

Last edited by danielkspencer; 06-02-2009 at 09:12 AM.
danielkspencer is offline   Reply With Quote