E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 07:28 AM   #21
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by profM3 View Post
I use the advanced search menu, it works pretty well.
I don't have Sirius, though I am thinking of adding HD radio with an Alpine TUA-T550HD. I requires Intravee firmware V6 which isn't out yet, so I'm waiting.
Have you used HD radio? I wasn't too impressed when I've used it... I'd rather pay $10/month to not listen to commercials. Once the MLB package is moved over to Sirius, I'll never go back to radio...
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #22
e46addicted

My Ride: E46 320CI 2000
Hi Sna77

Very well done and very clean install !!! Congrats on the IVII choice, after suffering like me for many years of the inconsistence and bugs of other setups

I started with the same setup as you two months ago, 30gb 5g Video ($90 new from eBay), IV2 ($100 new from eBay), and KCA-420i ($80 new from eBay). I installed the IV2 on top of storage tray as you did, but left the serial cable connected and tucked in the spare wheel tray area for esay access. I mounted the KCA-420i to the left of the CD changer/NAV bracket, as i have a TV module mounted where your Sirrus is. I used a 6ft dock extension cable from CableJive to locate the iPod in the little glovebox under light switch (euro models only), and also ran a camcoder cable (3.5mm to L+R+Video RCAs) from iPod to TV module, with the L and R connected to the AUX, so i can watch videos in stereo on my 16:9 nav screen.

I have only one thing to say about IV2 : CLOSE TO PERFECTION !!!!!!

Cheers

- '99 323CI Euro Spec - Tit. Silver - K&N CAI - VMR CSL 18s - MTech II Side/Rear - CSL rep fr bumper - CF Door Handles & Trunk Handle - Predator Chromiums 6K - Xenoflo 6K HID - EE LED Tail Lights - OEM Clear Sidemarkers & fronts - UUC RK6BL Shift Knob & E-Brake handle - Autolumination Interior LEDs - UUC Clutch Stop - Parrot CK3K Evo - IV2 - JBL 300W bridged amp - Sony 500W Sub in custom enclosure - OEM 16:9 NAv Retrofit - Rev Camera
e46addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #23
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46addicted View Post
Hi Sna77

Very well done and very clean install !!! Congrats on the IVII choice, after suffering like me for many years of the inconsistence and bugs of other setups

I started with the same setup as you two months ago, 30gb 5g Video ($90 new from eBay), IV2 ($100 new from eBay), and KCA-420i ($80 new from eBay). I installed the IV2 on top of storage tray as you did, but left the serial cable connected and tucked in the spare wheel tray area for esay access. I mounted the KCA-420i to the left of the CD changer/NAV bracket, as i have a TV module mounted where your Sirrus is. I used a 6ft dock extension cable from CableJive to locate the iPod in the little glovebox under light switch (euro models only), and also ran a camcoder cable (3.5mm to L+R+Video RCAs) from iPod to TV module, with the L and R connected to the AUX, so i can watch videos in stereo on my 16:9 nav screen.

I have only one thing to say about IV2 : CLOSE TO PERFECTION !!!!!!

Cheers

The Intravee II is truly amazing! I couldn't be happier with it.

Also, I am quite jealous of your TV module! I am thinking of adding an aftermarket one to my car and feeding the audio through the AUX cable as well and using a DVD player as source.

How do you find the sound quality is with the dock extension cable? I was debating doing that, then realized that the IV2 was so good that there was no need to have it in the glove box (although with video, you'd definitely need access to it).

ipod dock extension cable:
Old 06-05-2009, 03:37 AM   #24
e46addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
The Intravee II is truly amazing! I couldn't be happier with it.

Also, I am quite jealous of your TV module! I am thinking of adding an aftermarket one to my car and feeding the audio through the AUX cable as well and using a DVD player as source.

How do you find the sound quality is with the dock extension cable? I was debating doing that, then realized that the IV2 was so good that there was no need to have it in the glove box (although with video, you'd definitely need access to it).

ipod dock extension cable:

Well, to be honest, i had the same fears before going the dock extension cable route, first because the IV2 was so good that it would be stupid to ruin its sound quality with a dock extension cable, and second because there were so many dock extensions available that it was hard to choose. After two weeks of seraching and gathering info; i decided to give the CableJive one a try. I did not regret it, the quality is top notch. Although the connectors at both ends were big and the cable thick, i easily removed the plug casing to be able to feed the cable through the hole i made in the rear of the glove box.
As for the Video, i am still waiting for Simon @ Intravention to release a new firmwarehat supports the Alpine DHA-S690 DVD Player, so i can add an Alpine KCA-400c, KCA-410c, or an Intravee Switch, and use the DVD player and control it from the monitor/steering wheel (I HATE REMOTES)
I also installed a NavTV advanced interface, and i can now view a slideshow (Pictures of my car) while listening to the radio, cd, or a playlist on the iPod

- '99 323CI Euro Spec - Tit. Silver - K&N CAI - VMR CSL 18s - MTech II Side/Rear - CSL rep fr bumper - CF Door Handles & Trunk Handle - Predator Chromiums 6K - Xenoflo 6K HID - EE LED Tail Lights - OEM Clear Sidemarkers & fronts - UUC RK6BL Shift Knob & E-Brake handle - Autolumination Interior LEDs - UUC Clutch Stop - Parrot CK3K Evo - IV2 - JBL 300W bridged amp - Sony 500W Sub in custom enclosure - OEM 16:9 NAv Retrofit - Rev Camera

Last edited by e46addicted; 06-05-2009 at 03:40 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:56 AM   #25
sna77
OEM ///Member

Nice! Have you been happy with the NavTV module? I am debating using it for my reverse camera module. There is an OEM switching unit thats about the same price but have heard good things about the NavTV module. EAS sells siomething called the Dietz 1250, which uses the clock button to switch video inputs--I think this may be a bad thing though when using the IV2--too many devices trying to take over the ibus...

Is there an eta on the v6 release?
Old 06-05-2009, 08:40 AM   #26
e46addicted

Quote:
Nice! Have you been happy with the NavTV module? I am debating using it for my reverse camera module. There is an OEM switching unit thats about the same price but have heard good things about the NavTV module. EAS sells siomething called the Dietz 1250, which uses the clock button to switch video inputs--I think this may be a bad thing though when using the IV2--too many devices trying to take over the ibus...

Is there an eta on the v6 release?
Just to clear things up, the NavTV module i am talking about is a cable containing an interface. This cable can only be used in conjunction with the OEM TV/Video module, so the NavTV module is not a video source module like the Dietz 1250, it's an interface that allows TV in motion, plus the ability to listen to any other audio source (other than the TV/AV sound) while watching TV. I just have to press the **** (tape reverse) button to listen to the audio source (AUX, CD, RADIO, Intravee) i was listening to before i switch to TV. So yes, i am very happy with it.
As for the reverse camera, i think my setup is different from yours. With the OEM TV Module, i have the following in/out RCAs :

1/ Composite Video input
2/ Mono Audio input
Those two are accessible when selecting the AV channel on TV instead of a TV channel.

3/ Composite Video output
4/ Mono Audio output
These can be used to drive headrest monitors.

5/ Reverse Camera Compsite Video input
This can not be accessed via the menu or monitor. In fact, when i go into reverse, a relay feeds the camera with 12v, and Pin 17 of the white connector on OEM video module is shorted to ground. As long as Pin 17 is grounded, the video signal of the camera overrides anything on the screen (Intravee, TV, OBC, ....

Sorry Sna, hope my post was not too long

Old 06-05-2009, 08:42 AM   #27
e46addicted

And no eta i am aware of as for the v6 release

Old 06-05-2009, 09:04 AM   #28
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Very informative thread, added to forum sticky.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #29
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
Very informative thread, added to forum sticky.
Thanks Russ! Who'd have thought my first sticky (after a dozen DIYs) would be an iPod review. haa

I'm writing a more detailed review of this for a car publication at some point in the near future. Will link the full article here when completed.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #30
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Just to clear things up, the NavTV module i am talking about is a cable containing an interface. This cable can only be used in conjunction with the OEM TV/Video module, so the NavTV module is not a video source module like the Dietz 1250, it's an interface that allows TV in motion, plus the ability to listen to any other audio source (other than the TV/AV sound) while watching TV. I just have to press the **** (tape reverse) button to listen to the audio source (AUX, CD, RADIO, Intravee) i was listening to before i switch to TV. So yes, i am very happy with it.
As for the reverse camera, i think my setup is different from yours. With the OEM TV Module, i have the following in/out RCAs :

1/ Composite Video input
2/ Mono Audio input
Those two are accessible when selecting the AV channel on TV instead of a TV channel.

3/ Composite Video output
4/ Mono Audio output
These can be used to drive headrest monitors.

5/ Reverse Camera Compsite Video input
This can not be accessed via the menu or monitor. In fact, when i go into reverse, a relay feeds the camera with 12v, and Pin 17 of the white connector on OEM video module is shorted to ground. As long as Pin 17 is grounded, the video signal of the camera overrides anything on the screen (Intravee, TV, OBC, ....

Sorry Sna, hope my post was not too long

No perfect, thanks!

I am trying to decide if I should buy an OEM TV module (because it can do both video and reverse camera--but no TV in the states anymore) or the Nav-TV BMWV+ module: http://www.navtv.com/product/12/bmwv-.html

That module is $300 vs. the $600 or so that the OEM TV module would be...

Do you have a link / picture to the NavTv module that you are using? Does it plug straight into the TV harness w/o cutting?

Last edited by sna77; 06-05-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:47 PM   #31
e46addicted

Quote:
No perfect, thanks!

I am trying to decide if I should buy an OEM TV module (because it can do both video and reverse camera--but no TV in the states anymore) or the Nav-TV BMWV+ module: http://www.navtv.com/product/12/bmwv-.html

That module is $300 vs. the $600 or so that the OEM TV module would be...

Do you have a link / picture to the NavTv module that you are using? Does it plug straight into the TV harness w/o cutting?
Here is a link. No cutting at all. Plug & Play
I had my TV module on eBay for $210, it came from a 2004 X5, it is 16:9 and in mint condition. I bought all my Nav retrofit parts from eBay,except the harness.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300303601507

Old 06-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #32
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Here is a link. No cutting at all. Plug & Play
I had my TV module on eBay for $210, it came from a 2004 X5, it is 16:9 and in mint condition. I bought all my Nav retrofit parts from eBay,except the harness.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300303601507
so I see where it lugs into your TV module:

where is the end with RCA inputs though?
Old 06-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #33
e46addicted

Quote:
so I see where it lugs into your TV module:

where is the end with RCA inputs though?
The OEM TV Module has 2 18pin sockets, one white and one blue. The TV module cable that comes from the Nav harness has 2 18pin plugs, one white and one blue. The NavTV cable connects between the OEM TV Module socket and the OEM TV module cable blue connector. The RCA in/outs are on the white plug of the TV Module cable that comes from the Nav harness. Take a look here :
http://www.bimmernav.com/BMW_TV_Navg...tructions.html

Old 06-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #34
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
The OEM TV Module has 2 18pin sockets, one white and one blue. The TV module cable that comes from the Nav harness has 2 18pin plugs, one white and one blue. The NavTV cable connects between the OEM TV Module socket and the OEM TV module cable blue connector. The RCA in/outs are on the white plug of the TV Module cable that comes from the Nav harness. Take a look here :
http://www.bimmernav.com/BMW_TV_Navg...tructions.html
I've seen that link before... they don't have any pics of the RCA plus though.

The only thing with RCA inputs Bimmernav lists is this:
http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catal...s-item-39.html
Old 06-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #35
e46addicted

Quote:
I've seen that link before... they don't have any pics of the RCA plus though.

The only thing with RCA inputs Bimmernav lists is this:
http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catal...s-item-39.html
Here it is (the RCA inputs are optional) :

http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catal...-item-107.html

Old 06-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #36
sna77
OEM ///Member

thx
Old 06-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #37
e46addicted

Quote:
thx
You're welcome, Sna

Old 06-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #38
sna77
OEM ///Member

I organized my thoughts a bit and wrote a full article on this... Just got published here:
http://www.carguydad.com/
Old 06-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #39
06zHp

My Ride: 330ci
couldn't have put it better myself, nice job!
06zHp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #40
e46addicted

Quote:
I organized my thoughts a bit and wrote a full article on this... Just got published here:
http://www.carguydad.com/
Great writeup, my friend, congrats