E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 82 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #241
RichReg

My Ride: '00 323Ci & '06 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by grafiksguy View Post
My understanding from the guy at the body shop (this particular dealer has their own body shop) is that they cut out the whole area around the sub frame mounts and replace them with reinforced pieces which are welded back in. It's then sealed and repainted.
+1. That's my understanding as well, per the service manager @ my dealer. I'm still going to have my mechanic take a look-see anyway to see what was done...

Would they replace the subframe mounts if they were damaged?
RichReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:30 AM   #242
WFRFitness

My Ride: 2000 328CI E46
Thanks, that makes me feel better! Will have to contact the dealer and get an appointment set up don't look forward to loosing my car for a week or more though....
WFRFitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #243
jessief29812

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330xi
Hmmmm so are they inspecting subframes for free? We have 3 E46s...
Old 08-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #244
timothyfuqua

My Ride: 03 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessief29812 View Post
Hmmmm so are they inspecting subframes for free? We have 3 E46s...
Just had mine inspected by BMW Nashville for free. I would call the dealer and schedule appointments ASAP. They should be well aware of the sub frame issue by now ...
Old 08-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #245
WFRFitness

Just talked to my dealer today... I would advise everyone to take a look under there personally, inspect it yourself or have a mechanic not associated with BMW look at it. The service dept told me when I made my appointment they have only seen one E46 which "needed" repaired. Thus you should know before you go in there if your mount is tore or not, that way when they say "it will be fine" you can say bull *%^# fix it now!
Old 08-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #246
timothyfuqua

My Ride: 03 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFRFitness View Post
Just talked to my dealer today... I would advise everyone to take a look under there personally, inspect it yourself or have a mechanic not associated with BMW look at it. The service dept told me when I made my appointment they have only seen one E46 which "needed" repaired. Thus you should know before you go in there if your mount is tore or not, that way when they say "it will be fine" you can say bull *%^# fix it now!
The dealer pretty much told me the same thing ("99 percent of the cars we've inspected have been fine"). +1 on checking it out yourself or by an indie mechanic. BTW, once BMW inspects and declares the car OK, does that relieve them of any liability for fixing subframe damage in the future? My guess is that any E46 with subframe damage (stock wheels, suspension, etc. intact) should be fixed free of charge at any time under any circumstance, within reason, even if the car had been inspected previously. Just checking ....
Old 08-09-2009, 12:51 AM   #247
WFRFitness

My understanding is once it is declared OK, your turn is up end of story. Also, if you don't have it checked out within the allotted year you are SOL. I second the thought that they should fix if for free at any time, however by they way the lawsuit reads after the year is up you will have to pay to have it fixed yourself. shitty deal really.... I would assume you have to sign something if they say your car is OK removing them from further liability, I can tell you though (since I know mine is tore) If they tell me it is fine I will protest to BMWNA or I will call the lawyer doing the class action suite himself. That is why I say you should know before you go in there!
Old 08-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #248
FathomGH

My Ride: 1999 328i
i had mine inspected thursday at bmw of hyannis. they said that they hadn't had any fail so far so i was skeptical and wished i had checked it myself before i took it there. but it worked out fine, they called me later that day and informed me that i had a large crack and would need to take it to a bmw certified collision repair center to have it repaired. now im taking it to a bmw ccrc in worcester to have if it fixed (fo free) which they say should take atleast a week and they are providing me with a rental car during the mean time.
FathomGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #249
monochrom3

My Ride: e46 M3
Has anyone submitted documents for potential reimbursement and heard back? I sent in some stuff, but waiting to hear. (Sorry if this has been covered, but I haven't read all the pages yet :-)
monochrom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #250
firefirefire90
Banned

My Ride: suce ma bite
Send a message via AIM to firefirefire90
my car is done!

firefirefire90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #251
RichReg

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefirefire90 View Post
my car is done!

Congrats!

Does it feel any different?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:06 PM   #252
firefirefire90
Banned

My Ride: suce ma bite
Send a message via AIM to firefirefire90
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg View Post
Congrats!

Does it feel any different?

I wouldn't know because apparently they have lost my car. Fvcking unbelievable.
firefirefire90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #253
RichReg

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefirefire90 View Post
I wouldn't know because apparently they have lost my car. Fvcking unbelievable.
WTF???

Maybe the body shop screwed up? I know that I had to call the body shop directly just to check status, and they said they had been getting a LOT of E46s there for the subframe.

That sucks man...but it'll turn up.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #254
Itzed

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg View Post
WTF???

Maybe the body shop screwed up? I know that I had to call the body shop directly just to check status, and they said they had been getting a LOT of E46s there for the subframe.

That sucks man...but it'll turn up.
Friend of mine had his car missing from a shop, and it was eventually reported as stolen from the lot, and so the shop owner was not responsible. In reality, it was found that the owner of the shop had sold it to be parted-out. Apparently this is a fairly common thing. Not to worry you, I doubt that's what happened to you, just thought I'd mention it as an incidental story.
Itzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #255
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
The settlement has been approved! Information direct from Girard Gibbs llp - Co-lead Class Counsel!

BMW Sub-Frame Settlement Approved

We are pleased to report that the BMW 3 Series (E46) Sub-Frame Settlement has been granted final court approval. In response to allegations that 1999-2006 BMW 3 Series vehicles can suffer from sub-frame cracking that enlarges over time, BMW has agreed to provide the following benefits:

(1) If you paid for a sub-frame repair to your 1999-2006 BMW 3 Series vehicle, you can obtain reimbursement from BMW by submitting a completed claim form and proof of expenditure to the Claims Administrator. Claim forms can be downloaded from http://www.e46subframeclassactionsettlement.com and should be mailed to the address listed on the claim form. The deadline to postmark you claim is September 9, 2010.

(2) If you currently own or lease a 1999-2006 BMW 3 Series vehicle, you can contact an authorized BMW dealer and make an appointment to receive a free sub-frame inspection. If the inspection reveals any sub-frame cracking, the dealer will provide a free repair as well. The deadline for free sub-frame inspections is September 9, 2010, for vehicles no longer under warranty. If your vehicle remains under warranty, you will have one year from the expiration of your warranty to receive a free sub-frame inspection.

To learn more about the BMW Sub-Frame Settlement, please visit http://www.e46subframeclassactionsettlement.com, where you can download a claim form and read answers to frequently asked questions. Any extensions of the deadlines listed above will be posted on the website as well.

Many thanks to all of the BMW 3 Series owners and lessees who contacted us over the last few years to share their experiences. The relief provided through the BMW Sub-Frame litigation and settlement would not have been possible without the level of consumer involvement and concern that this issue received.

Girard Gibbs llp
601 California Street, Suite 1400
San Francisco, CA 94108
Phone: (415) 981-4800
Fax: (415) 981-4846
www.girardgibbs.com
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #256
eco10530

My Ride: 2002 Silver 330ci
sweet! I just received the same email!!!! Off to the dealer tomorrow!
Make sure you check your subframe on your on before you go to the dealer!

2002 330ci
Titanium Silver
Mods: LED Tail lights, Khoalty LED Angel Eyes,
Keyhole Delete, DICE Silverline PRO iPhone Integration

Last edited by eco10530; 08-12-2009 at 10:17 PM.
eco10530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #257
glovesoff

My Ride: 1999 328i
Can we have it inspected more than once? Can I go to the dealer this week, but then go again before the Sept. 2010 deadline?
Old 08-13-2009, 11:39 AM   #258
jettin_u

My Ride: 323ci
OK so the 2 dealers in my area are saying that if i dont have the letter from the mailer then i cant bring my car in so where would i get another letter as i seem to have lost it at the moment....
jettin_u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:01 PM   #259
jetskier88

My Ride: 330i ZHP S/C TS2+
Send a message via AIM to jetskier88
WOOOO WHOOOOOOOO... fukkk i hope i get my money back... this was honestly the one thing i was really butt hurt about spending money into my car
ESS TS2+ - OEM M3 LSD rear end swap - Meth Injection - Recaros PP - Defi Guages - Dinan TB - Headers&M3 Custom Quad Exhaust - UUC LTW Flywhl - UUC SegKev Clutch - Rogue SSK - KW V2 Coils - H&R Sways - TMS Subfrme&Sway Reinfrcmnt - VMR V710 & M PS2's - Brembo X Rotors - USC plate ;-) - and more....

BMW Modding DONE
jetskier88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #260
srbija 328i

My Ride: has 262k miles
got the same email, how long should take them to fix it?
srbija 328i is offline   Reply With Quote