E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #321
glovesoff

My Ride: 1999 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugg_dawg View Post
My local stealer claims I need the "letter" for them to take a look at my M3. Is this true? If so how do I go about getting a copy of this letter. The person I purchased the car from hasn't gotten back to me.

John
no, you don't need the letter. but if you want to obtain a copy I would email:

claims@E46subframeclassactionsettlement.com
Old 09-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #322
insaneollie

My Ride: 2000 328ci
This is gonna suck but at least it will hopefully get repair. I'll find out later today. Anyone else had a repair done in seattle?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 001.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	331231   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 002.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	331232   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 003.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	331233  
insaneollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #323
zeobia

My Ride: BMW 328ci
Were you asked to sign a release before they would make repairs? Did they say how long it would take to make repairs? Did they offer a loaner or rental?
zeobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:00 AM   #324
insaneollie

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeobia View Post
Were you asked to sign a release before they would make repairs? Did they say how long it would take to make repairs? Did they offer a loaner or rental?
I did not sign anything yet. I made an appointment for next week. And he didn't know how long it would take because he didn't know what he had to do. They did offer a loaner.
insaneollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #325
drifting328ci

My Ride: 2000 328CI
Settlement Claim

Hi Guys,

Just got me 328ci inspected and looks like there is a 6 inch tear in the subframe.

As my 2000 bimmer has pretty high miles (180k), I was wondering if any fellow owners here did find out if we choose not to get it repaired but collect an '$X' dollar value amounting to perhaps a certain percentage of the total repair cost.

By the way, how long does it take for the repair anyway?

Thanks for sharing any info.
drifting328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #326
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
thats not part of the settlement. You can try but good luck.

Some folks are saying they've had the car for over a week to do the repair. Seems excessive. TMS can do a subframe reinforcement in 1.5 days, granted a repair should take longer but.... just sayin... over a week?

rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:19 PM   #327
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
For NON-US owners Girard Gibbs LLP cannot provide any advice as they only represent US owners. I would suggest NON-US owners contact BMW customer service in their respective countries to see what BMW will do for them using the US case as an example of what a reasonable resolution might look like. It seems likely that BMW service in other countries has been made aware of the settlement and would be open to resolution for members that have had sub-frame issues.

If you're a non-US resident post up your responses from BMW!

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #328
sarconi11

My Ride: 2002 Black 325i
So i spoke with the guy working at the BMW dealership I got my car from, and I told him that I heard if your within a year out of your warenty you are able to get a free inspection and repair. What he informed me on was that no mater when your warenty goes out, you can still get a free check up and repair (if needed). Just thought I would share what i heard.
sarconi11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:53 AM   #329
Mark M

My Ride: e30 M3 / e90 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifting328ci View Post
Hi Guys,

Just got me 328ci inspected and looks like there is a 6 inch tear in the subframe.

As my 2000 bimmer has pretty high miles (180k), I was wondering if any fellow owners here did find out if we choose not to get it repaired but collect an '$X' dollar value amounting to perhaps a certain percentage of the total repair cost.

Doubt you could collect the $$ for that, however, you could likely leverage that dollar amount as a discount towards a new BMW with your dealer.
Mark M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:22 PM   #330
1sick bimmer

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323 ci coup
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifting328ci View Post
Hi Guys,

i am in st.louis i work at plaza motors body shop it should take no longer than a week to a new subframe in and have the car back to you , so far i think have done a total of 7 cars so far let me know if you need any more information thanks
1sick bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:08 AM   #331
PeterGunz50

My Ride: In my garage
I had the repair done about two weeks ago. I have a copy of my incoice that listed $4517 for all the repairs. There were 4 part numbers listed and the rest was labor. They took about 9 days to do the work. They offered me a loaner. I didn't have any letter from BMW. I took it in for an oil change and asked them to look at the rear suspension. They called me back and told me about the courtesy check and that everything would be covered under warrenty.
PeterGunz50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:16 AM   #332
marenda

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
For NON-US owners Girard Gibbs LLP cannot provide any advice as they only represent US owners. I would suggest NON-US owners contact BMW customer service in their respective countries to see what BMW will do for them using the US case as an example of what a reasonable resolution might look like. It seems likely that BMW service in other countries has been made aware of the settlement and would be open to resolution for members that have had sub-frame issues.

If you're a non-US resident post up your responses from BMW!

Tim
Hi. I'm from Philadelphia area. It looks like sub-frame on my 2000 328i is cracked as well. I just found out about it few days ago when I took my car to the shop to check this strange squeaking noise that I've been hearing for some time now. It would all be good if I've found out about this three months ago, but in July I shipped my car from US to Europe and have no plans on bringing the car back. Since I am a US owner with current car location in Europe what do you think my chances are to get this fixed here in Europe for free? I doubt they'll do it, but what do you guys think? Is there anyone here who was in the similar situation like myself? I'll call local BMW first thing tomorrow but would be nice to hear your thoughts...
Thanks
Thanks
marenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #333
glovesoff

You should still be covered. Are you still a U.S. resident? The settlement doesn't say anything about being excluded for your car being in another country. It says any U.S. resident. It has no disqualifications listed because of location.

I would call BMW North America and explain your situation. Tell them what dealership you plan on taking the car to. Then ask them to contact the dealership to let them know the situation, so when you take your car in you aren't given the runaround.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #334
glovesoff

Also, I just thought it was funny... my car is being repaired right now (still after two weeks) and they called me to tell me that they noticed my rear shocks are bad, and that they could replace them for $500.

So if I would've had the shocks replaced BEFORE the subframe repair, I would probably have been disqualified for having "modified suspension components". yet obviously they were bad.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #335
marenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesoff View Post
You should still be covered. Are you still a U.S. resident? The settlement doesn't say anything about being excluded for your car being in another country. It says any U.S. resident. It has no disqualifications listed because of location.

I would call BMW North America and explain your situation. Tell them what dealership you plan on taking the car to. Then ask them to contact the dealership to let them know the situation, so when you take your car in you aren't given the runaround.
Thanks for your advice. I'm U.S. citizen. Will contact BMW North America asap.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #336
drifting328ci

My Ride: 2000 328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sick bimmer View Post
i am in st.louis i work at plaza motors body shop it should take no longer than a week to a new subframe in and have the car back to you , so far i think have done a total of 7 cars so far let me know if you need any more information thanks
Thanks for sharing the info. Been following the thread and I must say I am surprised that Plaza could for that repair in a week when others are saying 8-9 working days and upwards (2 weeks). Could the dollar value on the repair be subjective too?
drifting328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:54 PM   #337
DBT

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
I just got the car checked by the dealer. 2002 330Ci (1/02 build date), auto, 95k on the odometer, OEM suspension with 17" M wheel option. No sub-frame cracks.

I didn't have the letter. I called Bob Smith BMW (Calabasas, CA) and they set up an appointment with no hassle at all.

Thanks to all who run the site and to those who contribute.
DBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #338
marenda

Quote:

Just got of the phone with BMW North America. Unfortunately for me, European BMW dealerships are not the part of this settlement so I guess I'll have to pay for this out of my pocket :-(.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #339
RichReg

My Ride: '00 323Ci & '06 330i
Quote:
So if I would've had the shocks replaced BEFORE the subframe repair, I would probably have been disqualified for having "modified suspension components". yet obviously they were bad.
Well, unless the new shocks they were substantially different from stock, I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. I had my shocks replaced in 2006, but they were OEM (Sachs). My wheels were aftermarket though, and they didn't seem to mind....
RichReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #340
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
Ok guys i got a question Could some one help me with it, i got a 2001 330i US model, but i live in Canada, Have The Red Koni Coil over suspension, If i have a tear in the sub frame do you think they will fix it cause of this?
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote