E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 82 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #481
jinxie

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by srtlat View Post
Anyone in St Louis on here that has taken there car in, where did you go??????

THanks
I took mine to Plaza BMW this past Saturday. I didn't have a letter or anything. They called me later and said it was indeed cracked and they were sending it to be repaired. Must have been a pretty decent sized one too since they are replacing the entire subframe instead of the fix (epoxy + welding?) Was told it may take about a week, so we'll see.

No loaner though... i'm pretty sure they were reserved for customers who bought their vehicles from them.

Since i was there, i decided to test drive a 2007 3series sports coupe with a 6-speed ...needless to say, me likey
jinxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #482
bvz

My Ride: 2000 e46 Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by SydeSho View Post
I called Sun Motors BMW, gave them my VIN# and they said my 2001 325i is not covered.

WTF
That sounds fishy to me. I don't know the details, but I just got my 2000 323 Touring checked for free at Weatherford BMW in Berkeley (no cracks btw)
bvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #483
Miko_10

My Ride: 330i 5 Spd
I just had mine checked. I just called and made an appointment, i dropped off my car and even got a complimentary loaner. No sub-frame damage for me - 2001 330i
Old 04-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #484
myster325

My Ride: '01 325I
If I have aftermarket wheels and suspension can I take it to an indie shop to inspect and if needed have them fix it then I'll just send a claim to BMWNA? See any problems with doing it this way?
myster325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:40 AM   #485
m3collins

My Ride: 2002 Carbon Black M3
So is the inspection for sub frame damage free? Can I get BMW to check it while the car is on the lift when I get my alignment in the next few weeks for no charge?
m3collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #486
nughaud

My Ride: '01 330CI / '11 335i
Yes it's free if you have a E46 '99-06 model.

Just call them up and tell them you want your sub-frame looked at for cracks, rips, tears due to the E46 Class Action Settlement. If they don't know what the hell that is they are lying, but no matter just bring in the 15 page settlement document and you can highlight the sections about it being free.

If they try and charge you anything such as diagnostics it's also in the document and says BMW NA will within 60 days refund the money, but there should be no issues. Just say let's call BMW NA about this issue if they give you any B.S.

Mine was actually checked today and I was told there was no damage. I'll check for myself sometime before Sept just in case there are any issues and I'll photograph or record it to show them. Mine has over 180k miles, so either I'm lucky or I haven't driven it hard enough.

Here is what my Invoice says:
A Rear Sub-Frame Inspection
Cause: Requested
NT Warranty Time - To Be Booked
Parts: $0.00 - Labor: $0.00 - Other: $0 - Total Line A: $0.0.0
184146 Requested Inspection Completed.

At the bottom of page 4, all of page 5 and the top of page 6 it talks about everything relating to getting your car looked at and if need be repaired and getting reimbursed if you were somehow charged for an inspection.
http://www.e46subframeclassactionset.../bmwn1sett.pdf

Last edited by nughaud; 04-22-2010 at 05:29 PM.
nughaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:39 PM   #487
m3collins

Thanks. I'll have them look mine over. Would it be worth it to get the Turner Motorsports reinforcement pieces that you weld in?
Old 04-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #488
nughaud

To me it seems pretty pointless to get a "fix" which is what I call welds and reinforcement plates.
If the sub-frame is weak at certain points and those are "fixed", then you simply move the weak points to other areas of the sub-frame.
The problem is you don't know which points are going to be the weak ones on your car. I'm sure certain areas are more susceptible than others.
As a last resort you could do that, but I wouldn't waste my time and money.

The only true fix in my opinion is a complete new sub-frame. I'm sure BMW sees it as a different situation as they simply want to control their bottom line which.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:00 AM   #489
m3collins

No entirely true. You spread the strength of the subframe and distribute the 'stretch' across a bigger and thicker surface.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #490
nughaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3collins View Post
No entirely true. You spread the strength of the subframe and distribute the 'stretch' across a bigger and thicker surface.
That would only be true if you put large plates over the whole sub-frame which one you can't do and two would be insane to do so.

When you take a weak structure and support part of it, it simply moves to the next weakest point on the structure.

The bottom line is you simply delay the onset of a sub-frame failure to another section.

A "fix" in this case is not a solution, it's just that a temporary fix to a ongoing issue.
Don't let BMW tell you different.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #491
m3collins

Well that's beside the point. Even if they replace it the issue is still there.....the new subframe isn't that much better.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:21 PM   #492
:. RaFFi .:

My Ride: MBZ SL55 ///AMG
I had the subframe on my M3 replaced a couple years ago with a 3rd party automotive body shop. I also received a letter about this settlement, and was wondering if it is too late to submit the claims form to be reimbursed?
Old 04-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #493
nughaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by :. RaFFi .: View Post
I had the subframe on my M3 replaced a couple years ago with a 3rd party automotive body shop. I also received a letter about this settlement, and was wondering if it is too late to submit the claims form to be reimbursed?
Nope you have until Sept/Oct time frame. I'm not sure of the actual date but you are good to go if you have your receipts etc.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:41 PM   #494
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nughaud View Post
That would only be true if you put large plates over the whole sub-frame which one you can't do and two would be insane to do so.

When you take a weak structure and support part of it, it simply moves to the next weakest point on the structure.

The bottom line is you simply delay the onset of a sub-frame failure to another section.

A "fix" in this case is not a solution, it's just that a temporary fix to a ongoing issue.
Don't let BMW tell you different.
I don't follow your logic, what do you think a new chassis pan does? Its the same, but thicker in the areas where it fail, hence moving the load from what was a weak area (thin as a result of stamping) to the strong areas. Welding in plates does the same thing. Or in the case of the simple BMW fix, its the same idea.

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:47 PM   #495
xJustin

My Ride: '04 330ci
Send a message via AIM to xJustin
so tim if my subframe fails in 2 years because i have an 04, what happens to me?

xJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #496
nughaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
I don't follow your logic, what do you think a new chassis pan does? Its the same, but thicker in the areas where it fail, hence moving the load from what was a weak area (thin as a result of stamping) to the strong areas. Welding in plates does the same thing. Or in the case of the simple BMW fix, its the same idea.

Tim
Tim,

I'm simply saying I would not settle for anything short of a new sub-frame.
Are the new sub-frames that some individuals are getting different from the originals? Does anyone even know?
The cheaper solution for BMW is the solution they will take unless the situation is so bad that a complete sub-frame is the only option.
If you are fine with someone welding in plates, then so be it, that's your opinion.

Last edited by nughaud; 04-25-2010 at 07:52 PM.
nughaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #497
nughaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJustin View Post
so tim if my subframe fails in 2 years because i have an 04, what happens to me?
If your sub-frame fails after the settlement time frame which is somewhere between Sept-Oct then you are sh!t out of luck and the repairs are on you unless you have an extended warranty of some kind. Of course the same goes for anyone who is not under some sort of warranty.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #498
tim330i
Owner/Admin

Quote:
Tim,

I'm simply saying I would not settle for anything short of a new sub-frame.
Are the new sub-frames that some individuals are getting different from the originals? Does anyone even know?
The cheaper solution for BMW is the solution they will take unless the situation is so bad that a complete sub-frame is the only option.
If you are fine with someone welding in plates, then so be it, that's your opinion.
You keep saying sub-frame, are you using that as a simple way to define the problem?

Tim
Old 04-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #499
tim330i
Owner/Admin

BMW's theory, right or wrong is that if you sub-frame mounting hasn't failed yet it isn't going to.

Tim
Old 04-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #500
:. RaFFi .:

My Ride: MBZ SL55 ///AMG
Quote:
Nope you have until Sept/Oct time frame. I'm not sure of the actual date but you are good to go if you have your receipts etc.
Sweet, I actually keep all my automotive repair receipts in one big file. So all I do is complete the form that was mailed to me along with the repair bill?