E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT

NY / NJ / CT
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
NY NJ CT

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 07:54 AM   #1
hennessy_r24

My Ride: E46 M3
excessive car volume summon In NY. help

Any one have any experience with excessive car volume in NY. A cop gave me this summon couple of weaks ago I went to court and plea not quilty. The hearing officer gave to choices pay $125 to drop the summon or have another appearance with the Cop If I loose, I have to pay 500. I pick another appearance since I didn't have My music loud, I could barely hear it inside the car. I was on my way to take the GW bridge coming up from 173rd street and the cop was coming down from 179th street, I stop in a red light in one 178th street the cop was on the other lane behind a few cars, the light turns green I get going I pass the cop doing like 10mph he waits more than 10second turn his sirens on and turn around and pull me over to white cop come off the car one didn't say nothing and really rude one star yelling at me stating that I had excessive volume in 175th street that could be heard one block away.I told the guy sorry officer thats impossible my car stereo does not go up that high and that it was really low. All I have is my H/K stereo system and he still gave a summon without any proof or a db meter. Any one experience with this type of summon?

Euro-techniks
hennessy_r24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
J08M3

My Ride: E92 M3
hmmm... file a complaint against the officer and report your story to Fox 5 news haha.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with this. But NYC cops have been handing out tickets for anything imaginable to try and raise revenue for the city. There's already been stories on the news about them making up tickets to hand out.
J08M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
///A

My Ride: e92 335is JB4
This is getting so ****** pathetic... NYPD handing out tickets like it's candy. I've been pulled over twice for no front plate within a month, while I've been driving around without it for nearly 3 years. I have no clue on what is the law regarding these tickets, but I would have to assume that the police officer would've need to provide evidence that it was that loud? Morevover, if the cop starts to tell the judge that it was excessively loud, then you can tell the judge that the officer is committing perjury, which is a felony, and see where the officer takes it from there.

Another thing, I'll have to assume that you're black, since you mentioned "white cop." I am willing to bet that the white cop thought he could easily get away with a BS ticket by saying that "the black man was blasting his music too loudly" since it's a stereotype we see on a day to day basis.

- Retired -
///A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
bigpaulie69

My Ride: 1997 BMW M3
^ lol at kens comment....make sense but still very funny...my friend recently got a ticket for the same thing in brooklyn. They started giving out these tickets ALOT recently i dont know why. As long as you have a stock system in your car i hear these cases are usually relatively easy to win. Best of luck

1997 E36 M3
MODS: AA Diff. Support, UUC SSK, Euro headlights, UUC headers, UUC exhaust, ACS TYPE III replica Rims. Porsche "meteor Gray" paintjob, smoked lights, UUC RTAB, UUC RSM's
Soon: Suede headliner, Alcantara euro steering wheel, ACS interior, Supercharger.
bigpaulie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///A View Post
This is getting so ****** pathetic... NYPD handing out tickets like it's candy. I've been pulled over twice for no front plate within a month, while I've been driving around without it for nearly 3 years. I have no clue on what is the law regarding these tickets, but I would have to assume that the police officer would've need to provide evidence that it was that loud? Morevover, if the cop starts to tell the judge that it was excessively loud, then you can tell the judge that the officer is committing perjury, which is a felony, and see where the officer takes it from there.

Another thing, I'll have to assume that you're black, since you mentioned "white cop." I am willing to bet that the white cop thought he could easily get away with a BS ticket by saying that "the black man was blasting his music too loudly" since it's a stereotype we see on a day to day basis.

hold on, its the law to have a front plate(i think this is gay), and the law in the city to keep the volume at a reasonale level. because of the already redic nise pollution. Take your ticket like a big boy. ps your not gonna win, its the cops word vs. yours and the cop is a sworn law enforcement officer and you are not. pleading not guilty was 18 shades of stupid.

grow up boys.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
Topaz330

My Ride: 08MGT,12CLS63 Launch
i know its a principle thing but i would of just paid the 125. at the end of the day the law is never fair and if its your word against the cops mostly likely the cops word will win.

edit: damnit someone posted the samething before i finished!

Last edited by Topaz330; 06-04-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Topaz330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #7
easyman

My Ride: MKV GTI 4 Door
lol ken. I never understood my luck with the front plate. I drove through the bridges and tunnels constantly and never once got pulled over.

I know that there are laws in place for noise pollution etc going to be pretty hard to prove you didn't have the volume up.

2007 GTI 4 Door (MKV)- Current
2010 Acura TSX (cu2) - Retired
1987 BMW 325i (e30) Vert - Burned Down
2002 330i (e46) - Retired
ZPP - ZCW - ZSP - Nav - Bi-Xenon/85122+ - Mtech - 18" CSL - FSD's - 4300k Fogs-
Sig courtesy of fskarboe
easyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #8
mrx733

My Ride: E46, W201
Send a message via AIM to mrx733
stupid ticket, should have just paid it and been done. imo if its not a speeding ticket or something " bad" then just pay it. get a lawyer to beat it if you really want

Last edited by mrx733; 06-04-2009 at 10:37 AM.
mrx733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
J08M3

My Ride: E92 M3
it's unfair cause it cost more to fight... doesn't matter what the cop says your screwed. there's no real checks and balances system for any traffic tickets.
J08M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
hennessy_r24

My Ride: E46 M3
I'm latino and I have a stock audio system I think he stop me for having a nice car because he look at my car from the front to the back and few seconds later he turned around and stop me asking me questions like if I had ever be to Jail and If I wanted to go to Jail. what proof can I take to court to show that I have a stock stereo system. and what up with the law that states that DB meter is require as proof of excessive volume

Cars with Excessively Loud Radio Devices
The operator of a motor vehicle playing a radio or other device at an excessive volume (i,e. a "boom box car***8221 may be charged with Penal Law Section 240.20, Disorderly Conduct, a violation of administrative code section 24-210,Unresonable Noise, a misdemeanor. Because of the difficulty in determining what level of sound is excessive, whenever possible, an officer who has been trained in sound enforcement and has the use of a sound meter should be assigned to this enforcement. With a proper sound level reading, the vehicle may be seized pending disposition of the case pursuant to Vehicle and Traffic Law Section 375 (47) (a).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///A View Post

Euro-techniks

Last edited by hennessy_r24; 06-04-2009 at 12:44 PM.
hennessy_r24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #11
Fatal Flash

My Ride: '12 RRS, '12 Evoque
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
hold on, its the law to have a front plate(i think this is gay), and the law in the city to keep the volume at a reasonale level. because of the already redic nise pollution. Take your ticket like a big boy. ps your not gonna win, its the cops word vs. yours and the cop is a sworn law enforcement officer and you are not. pleading not guilty was 18 shades of stupid.

grow up boys.
worst advice ever.

--if you aren't working, go to court and try to fight it. argue that you have a stock radio system that came equipped with the car (did you have your windows up?), tell the judge the questions the officer was asking you, and make him look the way he really treated you. Also argue that you don't have an aftermarket subwoofer and that you treble would not be heard by those cops from a block away, and that they primarily only would have heard the bass (which you obviously don't have), and that it was the car next to you (could have been) but he singled you out cus of your car. I honestly think you could fight this if you argue it in the right manner

Fatal Flash is offline   Reply With Quote