E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 06:53 AM   #1
jshort74

My Ride: 2004 325i
Sluggish 325i with P0411 code

Hello, I have a 2004 325i with 72,000 miles that has SES light on. The SES light stays on all of the time, not just in the cold weather. I scanned it and pulled the P0411 code, Secondary Air Injection System Incorrect Flow Detected. I have tried re-setting, but it keeps coming back. This car has also seemed pretty sluggish recently. I understand that there is an air pump, solenoid valve, and O2 sensors in this system. I know that I can listen for the pump running when I start the car. Does the engine need to be just cold (not running recently) or does it have to be wintertime temperature for the system to try to operate? Also, is there a way I can test the O2 sensor? Is there anything else I am missing? I have read about a carbon build-up issue causing this problem in M5 engines? Your help is appreciated!
jshort74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
jshort74

Can anyone help? I have searched the forum and I can't find any treads that talk about the same combination of issues I am having.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:26 AM   #3
Sparrow

My Ride: 2002 330i 1993 525iT
You're on the right track. Sounds like the SLV is stuck. Check all hoses and the valve.

Secondary Air System:
The M54 secondary air pump has a high output supply rate (45 kg/hour).
1. Air filter
2. Secondary air pump (SLP)
3. Secondary air valve (SLV)
The electrically driven secondary air pump is mounted to the body in the engine compart-
ment. To draw in secondary air, the SLP has an
integrated air filter element. The air filter element is maintenance-free during the service life
of the vehicle.
After the engine is started, the ECM activates the secondary air pump relay to provide
power to the secondary air pump. It remains on until the engine has taken in a certain
amount of air. The ON period may be a maximum of 90 seconds and depends on the fol-
lowing engine operating conditions:
Coolant temperature (from -10 C to approximately 60 C)
Air mass
Engine speed
The secondary air valve is mounted to the side of the cylinder head. The SLV is opened by
the pressure generated by the secondary air pump. The secondary air is led through a pipe
to the secondary air ducts. The SLV closes as soon as the secondary air pump switches
off, preventing emission "back flow" to the secondary air pump.

Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
jshort74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
You're on the right track. Sounds like the SLV is stuck. Check all hoses and the valve.

Secondary Air System:
The M54 secondary air pump has a high output supply rate (45 kg/hour).
1. Air filter
2. Secondary air pump (SLP)
3. Secondary air valve (SLV)
The electrically driven secondary air pump is mounted to the body in the engine compart-
ment. To draw in secondary air, the SLP has an
integrated air filter element. The air filter element is maintenance-free during the service life
of the vehicle.
After the engine is started, the ECM activates the secondary air pump relay to provide
power to the secondary air pump. It remains on until the engine has taken in a certain
amount of air. The ON period may be a maximum of 90 seconds and depends on the fol-
lowing engine operating conditions:
Coolant temperature (from -10 C to approximately 60 C)
Air mass
Engine speed
The secondary air valve is mounted to the side of the cylinder head. The SLV is opened by
the pressure generated by the secondary air pump. The secondary air is led through a pipe
to the secondary air ducts. The SLV closes as soon as the secondary air pump switches
off, preventing emission "back flow" to the secondary air pump.

Would this cause the light to stay on constantly? Could it cause the car to be sluggish?
Old 06-04-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
Sparrow

My Ride: 2002 330i 1993 525iT
Yes because it is related to the emission control system. When the CEL comes on for emissions related problems it puts the car into open loop or 'limp' mode so yes your car would feel sluggish.

Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #6
jshort74

Thanks!