E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #221
DBeemerphileWnaB

My Ride: 04 325i & 00 323Ci
Synthetic Oils do not break down like dino' oil. The cylinder blow-by and dirt in the oil is what causes engine wear. The blow-by is different for every car, depending on how well the tolerances are to perfect to begin with, and over time. Some cars may actually improve with age as things settle in (it took my Prius 12,000 miles). The filter is what makes the difference. If it can get the little particles out, then the oil is good for 45,000+ miles. If it can't, then it just needs to be changed very often, say every 3,000-5,000 miles.

Oil Filters are another thread. I just wonder why the BMW ones cost so much when the manufacturer (such as Fram) has the same filter material as the other brands of cars, and the BMW's doesn't even have the steel shell. I always feel like I am being ripped off!
DBeemerphileWnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #222
immigrant

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330CI
Send a message via MSN to immigrant
I was searching to find out what research shows regarding this matter and i found a product developed by the army:
http://www.intellistick.com/purchase.php I wonder if anyone has it and can tell us around what mileage recomends oil change on e46.
immigrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #223
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by immigrant View Post
I was searching to find out what research shows regarding this matter and i found a product developed by the army:
http://www.intellistick.com/purchase.php I wonder if anyone has it and can tell us around what mileage recomends oil change on e46.
I was searching on your search and found oils were good for 30k-40k miles as long as contaminants were kept out. So one notch towards my 45k change interval.

http://www.cbs12.com/news/filter-471...icrogreen.html
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #224
bmwbun
Banned

My Ride: Pre-facelift Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cngzsn View Post
Huh? Link please. Either way, are you his advocate?
I'm an advocate of discussion, especially on discussion boards.
bmwbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:32 PM   #225
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46sixspdZHP View Post
1) even though your data is inconclusive (and even if was conclusive), it's based on m1 0w-40, running in a car with twice the mileage as mine, and running where ever in the US you are at. so basically, if you live next to jeffro and have a MY2000 328 with 120k+ on the clock and are running mobil 1 0w-40, you can then follow jeffro's recommendations. (i would if this was the case).
Then what do you have to say about this:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...562&highlight=

Your car uses the exact same algorithm to determine oil interval as every other M54 car.

I think the service indicator is an excellent tool to determine exactly how much wear your oil is experiencing, i just have my doubts about whether or not it is designed to actually coincide with the performance lifespan of the oil.

I'm simply trying to find the number at which the oil really needs changing. If that means letting it count all the way to 0, then props to BMW. If it seems that the oil consistently needs changing when the SI has reached 6k remaining instead of 0, then i would have to assume that the remaining 6k were added for economic reasons.

That's all i'm trying to do: Find the correct (or as close as i can manage) number to change oil at on the SI.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #226
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeemerphileWnaB View Post
Synthetic Oils do not break down like dino' oil. The cylinder blow-by and dirt in the oil is what causes engine wear.
Cylinder blow by (fuel dilution) and dirt are 2 of many things degrading the oil. Synthetic oils do break down. Some more than others, but they all do.

At 5400 miles, my oil had sheared from a 14 cst@100C to a 12.13. The TBN also dropped from 11.3 to 4.8

Fuel dilution, silica, and insolubles were all very low.

I believe i've posted the chart in this thread already, but its in another thread as well. just search "used oil analysis"
Old 06-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #227
mkodama

Alright, second try:

bmwbun: BMW High Performance Synthetic 5w-30 and individually determining service interval based on how hard the engine is working and mileage
cngzsn: Any LL-01 approved oil and 7500 mile service interval
GoingNuts: BMW High Performance Synthetic 5w-30 and 45,000 mile service interval
jeffro3000: Any LL-01 approved oil and currently going for 10k service interval
mkodama: Any LL-01 or LL-04 approved oil and follow service interval timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Miles here's the advertisement that goingnuts has based his entire argument on:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...1&d=1241210919
Now let's drop this whole 30k thing unless anyone has any real world, non-advertisement, information on it.

"Free flowing and run cooler"
Thank you

I thought it was going to be a more technical data sheet, not a advertisement.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #228
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
jeffro3000: Any LL-01 approved oil and currently going for 10k service interval
I'm actually not going for any interval in particular yet. Not until i have an idea of the condition of the oil. I'll send in another sample around 8.5k and see where the oil is. If it's already shot, then i went too far and i'll adjust on the next fill. If it's still good then i'll leave it in longer, depending on how much life is likely left in it.

Since it seems that mobil 1 0w-40 is the most popularly used LL-01 oil, i'd like to have accurate information on it, even though i'll be using GC next.

Last edited by jeffro3000; 06-07-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #229
mkodama

Ok, third try:

bmwbun: BMW High Performance Synthetic 5w-30 and individually determining service interval based on how hard the engine is working and mileage
GoingNuts: BMW High Performance Synthetic 5w-30 and 45,000 mile service interval
jeffro3000: Any LL-01 approved oil and currently determining oil change interval
mkodama: Any LL-01 or LL-04 approved oil and follow service interval timer

Old 06-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #230
mkodama

What are the thoughts on the 12 month or 24 month oil change intervals if mileage is kept low? Purely for making money or is there any detrimental effects?

Old 06-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #231
Back2Basics

My Ride: is an instigator
Worst thread ever

Ban everyone
Back2Basics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:18 PM   #232
jeffro3000

There is one thing that i do know for sure. Unless there is something wrong with your engine (excessive blow-by, wear metals, antifreeze, etc.), the 5k OCI is not the optimum interval. There is plenty of life left in the oil, and tribo films. Changing the oil at this point would start the filming over again, wasting what protection you still had in the last fill.

If you want to see the results, search "used oil analysis" in general forum.

Also, the next sample may or may not indicate the same thing about 7.5k, which seems to be the most widely accepted for some reason.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #233
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2Basics View Post
Best thread ever

Quote:
What are the thoughts on the 12 month or 24 month oil change intervals if mileage is kept low? Purely for making money or is there any detrimental effects?
Me? I have no idea lol. I dont really see how age in itself would affect anything, as long as there are enough acidity reducers still active in the oil to keep it from eating things... lol

shortyb probably knows something though.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #234
bmwbun
Banned

Quote:
Ok, third try:

It seems that everyone but Miles understands that that is what your car's computer calculates.

Sniffn' the model glue.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #235
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbun View Post
It seems that everyone but Miles understands that that is what your car's computer calculates.

Sniffn' the model glue.

Dude, I asked you, and that was your response. Not "I think the car's computer interval is best". You need to work on making your sentences more concise and removing a bunch of the BS.

I find it funny how much we argue bmwbun for believe in pretty much the same thing.

Last edited by mkodama; 06-07-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #236
mkodama

4th attempt.

bmwbun: BMW High Performance Synthetic 5w-30 and follow BMW's service interval timer
jeffro3000: Any LL-01 approved oil and currently determining oil change interval
mkodama: Any LL-01 or LL-04 approved oil and follow BMW's service interval timer

Old 06-08-2009, 06:19 AM   #237
bmwbun
Banned

Quote:
4th attempt.

bmwbun: BMW High Performance Synthetic 5w-30 and follow BMW's service interval timer
Still not completely correct.

BMW has an additional criterion for oil change. If after the earth travels completely around the sun one time, and your car's computer does not yet indicate the need for an oil change, you should change it anyway. I agree with their added criterion.

Last edited by bmwbun; 06-08-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:06 AM   #238
zhp pilot
Falling from 14k ft.

My Ride: is totaled :(
Quote:
Then what do you have to say about this:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...562&highlight=

Your car uses the exact same algorithm to determine oil interval as every other M54 car.

I think the service indicator is an excellent tool to determine exactly how much wear your oil is experiencing, i just have my doubts about whether or not it is designed to actually coincide with the performance lifespan of the oil.

I'm simply trying to find the number at which the oil really needs changing. If that means letting it count all the way to 0, then props to BMW. If it seems that the oil consistently needs changing when the SI has reached 6k remaining instead of 0, then i would have to assume that the remaining 6k were added for economic reasons.

That's all i'm trying to do: Find the correct (or as close as i can manage) number to change oil at on the SI.
that can not be used as a counter to my statement. basically the service indicator is based on fuel consumption only. fuel consumption can not be used alone to determine when an oil change is needed. there's more to the story than that and you know it.

let's bring back the scenario that cngzsn brought up (which i noticed you never had any input on except for the first statement...you were too busy telling goingnuts to "prove it"):

Quote:
This is why the service indicator counts mileage based on fuel consumption, not actual mileage. Harder driving = less mpg = more frequent oil changes.

BMW may not be a perfect car company, but they're way ahead of you on this.
Quote:
But then the question is, since the countdown timer only depends on the # of gallons of fuel consumed, what is the difference between consuming more fuel via driving hard (affecting oil life) and doing the same because of, say, a bad O2 sensor (not affecting oil life)?
Quote:
I'm having a hard time visualizing that comparison, mainly because the oxygen sensors are only able to adjust fuel maps by a small amount. I'm pretty sure the limit of fuel adjustment is under 10% of the preset values. Anything higher causes a CEL.

The way I see it, the the way to get the lowest mpg is 100% throttle and at high RPMs, like at a track event. There are some of the highest loads on the engine and highest temperatures during these conditions, which are things that break oil down(to my knowledge). On the other hand, traveling 65 on the freeway is the best way to get the best mpg and conveniently, these conditions have some of the lowest loads and, by my guess, would be easiest on the oil. Lots of city driving with stop and go makes bad mpg so the countdown timer would run out faster as well, just like in the first track event scenario.

I'm having a much harder time finding a flaw basing oil changes off gas consumption than miles on the odometer.
Quote:
Oxygen sensor is just one example of getting a low mpg. Combine one with other factors that might result in a low mpg, and you might get close to comparing it with "hard" or "city" driving. What I am trying to say is:

1. You drive hard in the city, you get 15 mpg.

2. You have a bad O2 sensor (say you don't care about that CEL light), your tires are at 20psi, etc. and you still get 15mpg.

Both will result in your counter going to zero at 7500 miles, but in the second one, your oil might still be good for another few thousand miles. How would the counter know the difference in terms of oil life?

That's my point

zhp pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #239
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46sixspdZHP View Post
that can not be used as a counter to my statement. basically the service indicator is based on fuel consumption only. fuel consumption can not be used alone to determine when an oil change is needed. there's more to the story than that and you know it.

let's bring back the scenario that cngzsn brought up (which i noticed you never had any input on except for the first statement...you were too busy telling goingnuts to "prove it"):
You forgot one quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyb View Post
In this scenario, it wouldn't. But the SI would "err" on the side of safety.
Using the service indicator is a MUCH better means of determining oil change intervals than anything else available, hence why BMW uses it in every car. Mileage alone isn't anywhere near reliable, and there's no other alternative so far. The only doubt i have is the interval that it's pre set to count down from. I believe it may need to be shorter. Like i said earlier, just letting it count down to a different number other than 0 may be better. It's only a basic change. The principle is the same as BMW intended, just a different number. It seems like you're disagreeing with BMW's system more than you are with me.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:24 AM   #240
shortyb

My Ride: Has blue lights
Quote:
Miles here's the advertisement that goingnuts has based his entire argument on:

Now let's drop this whole 30k thing unless anyone has any real world, non-advertisement, information on it.

"Free flowing and run cooler"
The problem with the Edge product GoingNuts has based his change interval (and beyond)on, is that its not available in the US. We get 5W-30 and 10W-30 Edge. Neither of these is LL-01, ACEA-A3, and with viscosities in the 9.8 cSt @100C range, neither would be suitable in our cars if following recommended guidelines.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp...strol_EDGE.pdf

Read the fine print and we can only go "up to" 15K or one year, whichever comes first .

Guess when we argue drain intervals based on manufacturer's claims (Castrol) we need to compare apples to nuts .
shortyb is offline   Reply With Quote