E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Exclamation HPF Turbo Kit Owners Please Read - Methanol Additive to Save your Pump!

Hey everyone,

A few of our customers have had their methanol pumps fail. This appears to be customer specific. (e.g. some customers "never" have a problem, some customers have the problem repeat itself over and over again). As a result, we believe this is related to the methanol that customers are using. Not all brands of methanol have the additives in them that protect the pump and seals. Since our turbo systems use 100% methanol instead of a 50-50 mix of meth and water, the pump needs this additive added to the methanol.

I recommend everyone that is running our stage 2 and above turbo systems to purchase the Redline Alcohol Fuel Lubricant. Please add 2 teaspoons of the Redline Lubricant with every 1.25 gallons you add to the HPF methanol tank. This will save your methanol pump. This is cheap insurance and one bottle will last a long long time.

You can buy it from us on the link below, or pick it up at your local automotive store.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...hol_Fuel/15941

Thanks,
Chris.

HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
mtran850

My Ride: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
Hey everyone,

A few of our customers have had their methanol pumps fail. This appears to be customer specific. (e.g. some customers "never" have a problem, some customers have the problem repeat itself over and over again). As a result, we believe this is related to the methanol that customers are using. Not all brands of methanol have the additives in them that protect the pump and seals. Since our turbo systems use 100% methanol instead of a 50-50 mix of meth and water, the pump needs this additive added to the methanol.

I recommend everyone that is running our stage 2 and above turbo systems to purchase the Redline Alcohol Fuel Lubricant. Please add 2 teaspoons of the Redline Lubricant with every 1.25 gallons you add to the HPF methanol tank. This will save your methanol pump. This is cheap insurance and one bottle will last a long long time.

You can buy it from us on the link below, or pick it up at your local automotive store.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...hol_Fuel/15941

Thanks,
Chris.

Chris, please +1 can in my trunk thanks
mtran850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
bluejeansonfire
ninja editor

My Ride: shaken, not stirred
Send a message via AIM to bluejeansonfire
FJO does not recommend that their pumps ever, under any circumstance use 100% methanol with anything short of a straight fuel pump. They claim that the soft seals in their pump will be quickly broken down by the corrosive nature of meth. Behind that seal is a sparking motor. They claim that they have tested some pumps with 100% meth and some fail, some dont, in the short term. You do run an FJO pump right?

....maybe this will do the trick

2001 330ci TT turbo
1992 240sx coupe

Last edited by bluejeansonfire; 06-03-2009 at 08:58 PM.
bluejeansonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
sy0296

My Ride: '02 M3
thanks for the info

throw a couple bottles in my car also!!
Old 06-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
KamPow3r

My Ride: ....
A little off-topic, but what methanol are the Stg II and above cars running? Has anybody been able to find the "best bang for the buck" or is everyone purchasing from Home Depot, etc. Thanks!
Old 06-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire View Post
FJO does not recommend that their pumps ever, under any circumstance use 100% methanol with anything short of a straight fuel pump. They claim that the soft seals in their pump will be quickly broken down by the corrosive nature of meth. Behind that seal is a sparking motor. They claim that they have tested some pumps with 100% meth and some fail, some dont, in the short term. You do run an FJO pump right?

....maybe this will do the trick
Yes, they learned this from us. Originally they said their pumps were 100% methanol compliant. We have never had a pump fail with the methanol that we use, so it was always odd to see a few select customers have problems with theirs. I've had methanol in my pump for 2 years now, and the seals are just fine. So we now believe it's because some methanol comes with additives, others don't. We tested this additive on My Tran's M3 when it made 1022rwhp. Works like a champ!

Chris.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #7
yellowssm

My Ride: 2005 M3
Hey chris, for the owners whos pumps failed, what brand meth were they using? I am using VP racing and no problems so far but i will start using the redline additive from now on.

And btw the link to the redline stuff on your website, you spelled teaspoon wrong
Use 2 "teaspons" for every 1.25 gallons (full HPF methanol tank)
Old 06-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #8
yellowssm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamPow3r View Post
A little off-topic, but what methanol are the Stg II and above cars running? Has anybody been able to find the "best bang for the buck" or is everyone purchasing from Home Depot, etc. Thanks!
i run vp racing meth and its $35 for a 5 gallon jug here in vegas
Old 06-04-2009, 02:14 PM   #9
bluejeansonfire
ninja editor

My Ride: shaken, not stirred
Send a message via AIM to bluejeansonfire
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowssm View Post
i run vp racing meth and its $35 for a 5 gallon jug here in vegas
same here in florida...
What brand Meth do you get up there, Chris?

2001 330ci TT turbo
1992 240sx coupe
bluejeansonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #10
sy0296

My Ride: '02 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire View Post
same here in florida...
What brand Meth do you get up there, Chris?
would like to know also!
Old 06-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #11
funkboy316

My Ride: 2003 M3 vert
I have not had a problem with my methanol pump leaking yet, just the fittings, the old white fittings. I will also start using the additive but for other ppls reference this is the methanol i use, its not as cheap as the VP meth but i believe it does have the additive. about 63.00 for 5gals.

http://buyracegas.com/catalog.aspx?s...93318&detail=1

2003 TiAg HPF stage 2.5 SMG M3 vert
funkboy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #12
frankieb96

My Ride: 2004 M3
speaking of VP, i'm going to add my 2 cents in here also. i picked up a bottle of this today, VP M2 additive. . .it will do the same thing as the redline product but since i'm partial to VP products(call me a brand ***** if you like), and it was locally available i took it. we'll see if it works.

RAC | Brembo | HPF | TC Kline | www.precision-sport.com
frankieb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #13
yellowssm

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieb96 View Post
speaking of VP, i'm going to add my 2 cents in here also. i picked up a bottle of this today, VP M2 additive. . .it will do the same thing as the redline product but since i'm partial to VP products(call me a brand ***** if you like), and it was locally available i took it. we'll see if it works.

Hey chris will this stuff work too? I mean since im using vp meth I would like to use vp additive, at least it makes more sense in my head anyways since they are made for each other
Old 06-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #14
yellowssm

this is from vp racing's site about the m2 additive:

Also available in a "candy" scent

" M2 UPPER LUBE "

M2 was specifically designed to solve the problem of extra engine wear associated with the use of alcohol fuels. M2 protects valves, guides, cylinder walls and aluminum fuel systems for methanol powered engines. It also has a special scavenger which wards off additional problems such as lead-fouled spark plugs. In short, M2 offers unique engine protection that pays for itself. M2 is the only fuel additive that adds to methanol engine life without subtracting from performance.

Last edited by yellowssm; 06-04-2009 at 05:50 PM.
yellowssm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:59 AM   #15
pastE36prsntE46

My Ride: HPF STG 3; 95 FI M3
Here is a question that may be off topic.....car shipped to me with meth in it from HPF.....I ran with meth for a little bit but the tank still had plenty of meth in it. A week later I checked it as I was about to race a 750cc bike (wasnt sure if I would need it or not) and the tank was bone dry. Possible I didnt screw the top on right and it evaporated? Or a leak somewhere? Anyone anything?
pastE36prsntE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #16
Estoril-E46

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastE36prsntE46 View Post
Here is a question that may be off topic.....car shipped to me with meth in it from HPF.....I ran with meth for a little bit but the tank still had plenty of meth in it. A week later I checked it as I was about to race a 750cc bike (wasnt sure if I would need it or not) and the tank was bone dry. Possible I didnt screw the top on right and it evaporated? Or a leak somewhere? Anyone anything?
The horsepower gods deemed you didn't need it since you were not using it and gave it to me.

www.Precision-Sport.com
Estoril-E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #17
ballsdeepm3

My Ride: 2004 m3 HPF 2 smg
ive been running that cheap stuff from lowes. de natured alcahol. seems to work fine. its like 10 bucks.
ballsdeepm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:19 PM   #18
yellowssm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballsdeepm3 View Post
ive been running that cheap stuff from lowes. de natured alcahol. seems to work fine. its like 10 bucks.

Theres 2 things wrong with the denatured alcohol:

1. its ALOT more expensive (actually $15 a gallon here in vegas compared to $7 for the real stuff)
2. HPF said it makes 25rwhp LESS than the real stuff.

but i guess it is readily available if you run out of the real stuff since you can get it at lowes or home depot.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #19
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastE36prsntE46 View Post
That's most likely a leak. Check to see if you have the white methanol fittings or the gray ones. If you have the white ones, let us know and we'll send you the new gray ones. If you have the gray ones, look for any white residue on the lines. This will show you where the leak is. Then just remove the orange clip, press in the slider on the fitting and pull the line out. Look at the line for any wear and if necessary trim it back and push it back in securely. This will seal it up.

Chris.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #20
pastE36prsntE46

My Ride: HPF STG 3; 95 FI M3
Thanks Chris, I will let LutzPerformance know as my car will be in their showroom until I get home.
pastE36prsntE46 is offline   Reply With Quote