E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
magnusbaron

My Ride: BMW E46 and you ?
1999 323i New Hood and Grille $1500?

HI guys,
I have a dent in my hood apparently they can't fix. I've been told and double checked myself that hoods are around $450-500 (even carbon fiber ones).
The guys wants to charge $450 for the hood and $42/hr and he said it would take 3 days. To a total of: $1500.
He told me the hood and grill would be brand new from a BMW dealer.
Do you guys know of a better cheaper way to get the hood on?
Would a BMW dealer be cheaper as they would do it in less hours as they have more man power.
Any advice?

If anyone works at BMW and can give me an average idea of what it would cost.

I live in Brentwood, Los Angeles, CA so if you know a good repair spot around here let me know

Thank you for your help in advance!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
So you need a replacement hood installed and painted? That sounds about right for insurance work. But you should be able to get an indy shop to work with you. My shop is over by the Anaheim Pond and can do that job cheaper. Either get a used hood from someone in the area that has gone CF. Or get a CF hood and have it painted. I'm sure others have shops in your L.A. area. I think member Painterdude likely can help you out too. If you get a slightly flawed CF hood from one of the sponsors in your area, it might be a good idea since it'll be painted over anyway.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
To add, I think the dealership would be more expensive in every circumstance. $120 hr and book time would be over $2000.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
CoconutPete

My Ride: E90 330i
Is the grill broken? If it isn't then there's no need to replace it.

Buy a used hood off eBay and have it painted. BING I just saved you $1000.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.” “They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”
-----------
Extra Credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3"
not "I'm looking for a M3".
-----------
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Another option, if you are into the CF look, is to go with the Vorsteiner Hood and leave it unpainted. The part would run a bit less and you would not need to paint it.

Vorsteiner E46 Sedan Vented Race Hood
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
neil1138

isn't that a little much for a hood? I thought hoods were $400 plus paint...
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
enelson325

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick@jlevi sw View Post
another option, if you are into the cf look, is to go with the vorsteiner hood and leave it unpainted. The part would run a bit less and you would not need to paint it.

vorsteiner e46 sedan vented race hood
+1
enelson325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #8
///Flash
Banned

My Ride: a donkey
Hey Jlevi street works....On your website for the e46 sedan I saw that there is a "sealed vent" option. Is this a website error or is this true? Please let me know because I might cancel my order with another place and buy yours instead. I want sealed vent
///Flash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
323i, bmw, grill, hood