E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #41
SpeedDemon

My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
Wow, that steering wheel looks incredible... is that entirely OEM? I've never seen one with the M stitching and the perforation. I wonder if that is what my wheel looked like when it was brand-new.

Your perfect one:

This is what mine looks like:

Last edited by SpeedDemon; 06-16-2009 at 01:48 PM.
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #42
dinac

My Ride: 330i
nope it is not oem
dinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:53 AM   #43
Richy_Boy

My Ride: Alpina B3S
I run LPG on my car also... I'm in the UK. It costs about 1/2 the price of Super Unleaded (97RON) over here... i.e. 52.9p/l vs. 107p/l

My install is a bit neater than the OP though, but I'm a perfectionist!

Engine:

Vapouriser and ECU:

Refiller nozzle (behind square cap level with reverse sensors)

Boot tank sat low in spare tyre well:

boot cover on top:

In the UK, LPG is 110RON as it's pure Propane (like you have for your BBQ probably!), however in most of Europe it's less as they mix Propane with Butane. It burns cleaner and tends to not put deposits into your oil like petrol does.

As for power loss, I don't agree you loose ZERO when running LPG... I haven't rolling roaded this car, but my last Nissan 200sx S14a (2.0 Turbo) ran LPG also and has 300bhp on both 99RON suer unleaded and on LPG. However, the torque dropped from 310ftlb to 300ftlb when on LPG.

Rich

Last edited by Richy_Boy; 06-17-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Richy_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #44
lucas_pln

My Ride: 330I '05
2 downsides - no trunk space or no spare tire AND no warranty from BMW if car is under warranty of course.

Besides that LPG is the way to go when petrol is $7 per gallon.

btw. OP, really nice car !!

Last edited by lucas_pln; 06-17-2009 at 12:13 PM.
lucas_pln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #45
spikester550

My Ride: 330ci, 86.5 hardbody
Send a message via AIM to spikester550
Quote:
Originally Posted by braymond141 View Post
Liquid Petroleum Gas conversion.

He's saying that it will pay itself off in 15,000km of travel, IF LPG stays the same. The consumption rate of LPG is higher, but the costs are significantly less.
i fvcking love your e36 m3
CF CSL Trunk, Black Kidney Grills, Smoked Corners,
Painted Reflectors, M3 Steering Wheel,
ZHP Shift Knob, Clutch Stop, Shark Injector,
15mm Spacers, 3k DDM HID Fogs, OEM M3 Hood,
Coilovers, UUC Sways, and many more..
spikester550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #46
Richy_Boy

No trunk space? Can you see my picture above? I've lost zero trunk space... however, I carry 'tyre weld' rather than a spare wheel...

Rich

Old 06-17-2009, 12:27 PM   #47
deadpass

My Ride: 01 330i
too bad LPG isn't popular in the states at all for cars, this would be something I would be interested in.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:56 PM   #48
Renboy

My Ride: 04 330Ci '08 Daytona
dinac or Richy Boy, did both of you pay to have the conversion installed? And if you did it yourself, where did you find the parts needed? All I can find is companies that will do the conversion for you, which I don't need.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #49
lucas_pln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy_Boy View Post
No trunk space? Can you see my picture above? I've lost zero trunk space... however, I carry 'tyre weld' rather than a spare wheel...

Rich
Read carefully, I wrote "no trunk space OR spare wheel". So which one you are missing, ... huh?
Old 06-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #50
Richy_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_pln View Post
Read carefully, I wrote "no trunk space OR spare wheel". So which one you are missing, ... huh?
Hmm a bit like saying you have no "bananas OR apples"? i.e. neither!

I paid to have my kit installed, there's an outfit (as in mafia ) called the LPGA in the UK which sets standards of installation and insurance companies tend like to see certified cars - some don't care.

You can buy certain 'fringe' kits from all over in the UK and some people do fit them themselves, however, like anything which requires even the slightest bit of skill, the LPGA scares people into thinking it's FAR too dangerous to DIY.

The LPGA also actively stops major brand importers of kits from selling to non LPGA registered installers...! i.e. I can't even buy an LPG filter or a ECU mapping kit. In the UK the best kits are BRC and Prins, neither can be bought on the open market.

Rich

Old 06-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #51
lucas_pln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy_Boy View Post
Hmm a bit like saying you have no "bananas OR apples"? i.e. neither!

I paid to have my kit installed, there's an outfit (as in mafia ) called the LPGA in the UK which sets standards of installation and insurance companies tend like to see certified cars - some don't care.

You can buy certain 'fringe' kits from all over in the UK and some people do fit them themselves, however, like anything which requires even the slightest bit of skill, the LPGA scares people into thinking it's FAR too dangerous to DIY.

The LPGA also actively stops major brand importers of kits from selling to non LPGA registered installers...! i.e. I can't even buy an LPG filter or a ECU mapping kit. In the UK the best kits are BRC and Prins, neither can be bought on the open market.

Rich
Ok, maybe I confused it lil. bit, but you got my point; you loose either trunk space or spare wheel (depends on where they put your tank).

For anyone interested, here is small faq:
http://www.lpgautoconversions.co.uk/questions.php
Old 06-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #52
Richy_Boy

Ok, fair enough

As for choice of where the tank goes.. there isn't one really with the E46.. put it in the boot in a 'cylinder' tank and it'll be too high up and effect handling horribly in my opinion. At least in the spare wheel well, it's very low down and right in the middle of the car, which, if anything offers a touch more rear end grip!

Rich

Old 06-17-2009, 05:09 PM   #53
bohem4e

My Ride: E46
OK
I have read lot in this post about the LPG
I come from Europe, now i am in the states getting my education.
Let me introduce you to the concept of the LPG, since I have a car back home that runs on LPG.
LPG = much cheaper than the Regular Gas
LPG System = for those types of cars probably at the high end in cost
Loss in trunk Space = you will lose trunk space, because you have to install the tank
Power = you will lose power
Engine = after about some milage two of my pistons had wholes in them becase of the LPG
Smell = no matter how well is installed you will smell it

BMW Driver pulling up ot a LPG Gas Station = Pricess look on everyones face

If you want to drive cheap please sell the bimmer, buy a cheap a** car put the LPG system and enjoy the life of the cheap a** drivers.

Driving a BMW and not having money to pay for gas = THIS CAR IS NOT FOR YOU!!!
bohem4e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #54
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohem4e View Post
If you want to drive cheap please sell the bimmer, buy a cheap a** car put the LPG system and enjoy the life of the cheap a** drivers.

That's
Whoever paid for E46 LPG conversion obviously has more than enough money for gas.

As long as one can afford to maintain his car properly, he can do whatever he likes with it- supercherging or LPG conversion, nice or stupid mods, whatever pleases him, if it's not illegal of course.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:25 PM   #55
Richy_Boy

Bohem, you're talking rubbish..

I have read lot in this post about the LPG
- Not understood it though, I guess?

I come from Europe, now i am in the states getting my education.
- Figures...

Let me introduce you to the concept of the LPG, since I have a car back home that runs on LPG.
- Can't wait...

LPG = much cheaper than the Regular Gas
- Yes, we've already said, half price..

LPG System = for those types of cars probably at the high end in cost
- Yes, mine cost me 2000 to have supplied and installed. However, this is a top-wack price as I specified that no non-removable parts could be drilled or cut. I had custom injector mounts made up, which bolt on using the manifold bolts. You can get a kit installed for 1500 easily, possibly less if you don't want it LPGA certified.

Loss in trunk Space = you will lose trunk space, because you have to install the tank
- No, I haven't lost trunk space, I don't carry a spare wheel so use 'temporary' repair cans... just like some modern BMWs do...

Power = you will lose power
- A touch a torque, nothing noticeable day to day... i.e. on a 300bhp car it lost ZERO bhp and 10ftlb running on LPG compared to 99RON fuel! As mentioned before (which I'm sure you read), LPG in the UK is pure propane, in the rest of europe they mix this with BUTANE which lowers the RON value, so will give you a slightly higher power loss.

Engine = after about some milage two of my pistons had wholes in them becase of the LPG
- NO, I think that because you went cheap with the installer and they didn't map the car right. How can LPG put a hole in your piston? Your knock sensor should have retarded your ignition if you were getting DET. I ran LPG on a 300bhp turbo'd car perfectly well.. for over 40,000 miles! ..even on a track day!

Smell = no matter how well is installed you will smell it
- No, my car doesn't smell at all, except when filling up and you detach the filler (it releases a bit of Propane). As LPG burns cleaner (more thoroughly) no propane comes out the back. If you smell propane, you have a leak somewhere!

BMW Driver pulling up ot a LPG Gas Station = Pricess look on everyones face
- Yes, they're thinking.. "wouldn't it be nice to enjoy a 300+bhp BMW and have the running costs of a diesel!" or "Damn petrol is expensive.."

- Enjoy the rest of your education, muppet.

- This thread is not for you obviously as you clearly know nothing about the technology! I have the money to fill my car with 70+ a week with fuel, but why would I want to when I can save ~2000 ($3280) in fuel costs a year?

Rich

Last edited by Richy_Boy; 06-17-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #56
bohem4e

My Ride: E46
"wouldn't it be nice to enjoy a 300+bhp BMW and have the running costs of a diesel!" - IF YOU WANT TO HAVE THE RUNNING COST OF A DIESEL THEN BUY DIESEL!!! BMW MAKES SOME PRETTY GOOD DIESELS!!!

"I have the money to fill my car with 70+ a week with fuel, but why would I want to when I can save ~2000 ($3280) in fuel costs a year?" - SO YOU WANT TO DRIVE A BMW, BUT YOU DON'T WANT TO PAY THE PRICE OF DRIVING BMW, ENJOY THE REST OF YOUR FUEL SAVINGS, MUPPET

All I am saying is that this thing destroys you car slowly and painfully on the long run, but everyone ignores it because they can save some cash at the pump on the short run.
bohem4e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:05 AM   #57
Renboy

My Ride: 04 330Ci '08 Daytona
Hold on. If you're European, you get a free education, that's better than just about any education you could get in the States. So you're giving up a good, free education for a mediocre one that you have to pay a lot of money for? And others here are supposed to heed your advice?

Not to mention, broke people can afford $50 or $60 a week, what they can't afford is over $2000 to invest into something that will save them in the long run. This is why they are broke. And the reason people can afford a BMW is because they don't give money away pointlessly. In short, wealthy people earn interest, poor people pay interest...a financial paradox.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:05 AM   #58
dinac

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renboy View Post
dinac or Richy Boy, did both of you pay to have the conversion installed? And if you did it yourself, where did you find the parts needed? All I can find is companies that will do the conversion for you, which I don't need.
no, it cant be done by it self ... unless u r LPG installer
i pay it only $1300 on 40% sconto, and "Atest" is around $200
Thats is one of the best systems on market
dinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:57 AM   #59
Richy_Boy

Here we go again... I think it's time you relised that whatever kit you had installed was pretty rubbish as you seem very keen to give a very different opinion on the technology.

IF YOU WANT TO HAVE THE RUNNING COST OF A DIESEL THEN BUY DIESEL!!! BMW MAKES SOME PRETTY GOOD DIESELS!!!

Find me a diesel that has over 300bhp, revs to 7200rpm, a 167mph top end and will get to 62mph in under 6 seconds for the price I paid for this car and the LPG conversion... no? exactly...

SO YOU WANT TO DRIVE A BMW, BUT YOU DON'T WANT TO PAY THE PRICE OF DRIVING BMW, ENJOY THE REST OF YOUR FUEL SAVINGS, MUPPET

You've got it! I want to drive a fast, cool car and not have to pay the stupid amounts of fuel the car uses to have fun in it. We agree on something!

All I am saying is that this thing destroys you car slowly and painfully on the long run, but everyone ignores it because they can save some cash at the pump on the short run.

..and this is simply incorrect. I know people who have covered well over 150,000+ miles on LPG without any engine faults I have honestly never heard of any car engines going pop in the UK from running on LPG - and I hang around a lot of the forums out there..

Rich

Old 06-18-2009, 04:02 AM   #60
Acarder

My Ride: 69' M3
Bohem4e or whatever stop arguing your point of view, your making the people who sort of agree with you it look stupid.

I still believe in my original points. If you guys want to use your engines as test mules then i'm not complaining but don't be shocked if you eventually run into valve wear problems. There is a significant difference between your other car's engine and the M54 engine you have in your E46. They both work on the same principle of converting chemical potential energy into kinetic energy heat and sound and that's where the similarities stop
Acarder is offline   Reply With Quote