E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #61
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
Fuel lines are different I believe I would have to check. Not to mention you would be breaking the law and liable when you sold the car. Unless sold as a "race car "
LOL, I know....and you keep saying that. Prove me it will not work. You are the mechanic.

SS fuel lines can work with a hose.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #62
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcus View Post
LOL, I know....and you keep saying that. Prove me it will not work. You are the mechanic.

SS fuel lines can work with a hose.
Exactly we repair things to FACTORY specs Hacks or Bubba's do things like put the wrongs part on cars ask them......

Tampering of Vehicle Emission Controls

Defines "tampering" and what kinds of vehicle repairs can be made to correct tampering. law prohibits selling or leasing tampered vehicles.

* Definition of "Tampering"
* Vehicle Repairs
* Vehicle Sales
* Alternative Fuel Conversions
* More Information
* Rules

Definition of "Tampering"

Tampering is removing or making inoperable any system or device used to control emissions from a motor vehicle engine. The motor vehicle is defined as any self-propelled vehicle designed for transporting persons or property on a street or highway. The only exception to the tampering rule is the need to install a new certified emission control system or device that is equally effective in reducing vehicle emissions.

Tampering may include, but is not limited to:

* Removing the catalytic converter, air pump, and exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve, or doing anything to keep them from working properly, such as disconnecting vacuum lines and electrical or mechanical parts of the pollution control system.

* Adjusting any element of a car or truck's emission control design so that it no longer meets the manufacturer's specifications.

* Installing a replacement part that is not the same in design and function as the part that was originally on the vehicle.

* Adding a part that was not originally certified on the car, such as installing a turbocharger.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) anti-tampering enforcement policy is covered under the provisions of Mobile Source Enforcement Memorandum No. 1AExit TNRCC site. This policy states that the EPA will not consider any modification to a certified configuration to be a violation of federal law if there is a reasonable basis that emissions are not adversely affected. A certified configuration is an engine or engine-chassis design that has been certified or approved by the EPA to meet certain emission standards prior to the production of vehicles with that specific design. Evidence of federally approved testing must be available upon request.

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/complaints/index.html Nice little form filled it out a few times

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Last edited by jbeurotech; 10-20-2010 at 06:09 PM.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #63
SiLVeR_E46

My Ride: 2003 325i sedan
JBeurotech Ima plug in the computer again one of this days to make sure the DMTL is bad and not something else. FYI I use the computer BMW uses and I run a few tests
SiLVeR_E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #64
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiLVeR_E46 View Post
JBeurotech Ima plug in the computer again one of this days to make sure the DMTL is bad and not something else. FYI I use the computer BMW uses and I run a few tests
You bought an Issis or are you using the passthru with BMW's site?

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #65
SiLVeR_E46

My Ride: 2003 325i sedan
Quote:
You bought an Issis or are you using the passthru with BMW's site?
My bother works for BMW of NA and one of his friends that's a tech there borrows the computer from them. He does all my work on my car he knows his stuff he used to work on McLarens.
SiLVeR_E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #66
rifraf

My Ride: 05 325ci
Hey guys, sorry for being late to the show here, but I just wanted to add my recent experience. A few months back I blew my fuel pump fuse headed down to Tucson. At my last service, I had asked the techs to do a diagnostic and they found out that my fuel pump's voltage was a bit high. The tech stated that it could be caused by bad gas or a faulty fuel pump. That's also when I found out that it cost 6500 out of warranty to replace. My jaw dropped like everyone else. Luckily though there is the 15/150k warranty. So most of us will not be paying for our fuel pump if it goes out anytime soon. One caveat though that could ruin your warranty is alcohol percentage in your gas. If it's anything over 10%, it voids your warrant!

So make sure you keep clean fuel in your tanks! (Or drain the mother before you haul it into the shop )
rifraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #67
Technik Dynamik

My Ride: 2004 325i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
Hey guys, sorry for being late to the show here, but I just wanted to add my recent experience. [...] One caveat though that could ruin your warranty is alcohol percentage in your gas. If it's anything over 10%, it voids your warrant!

So make sure you keep clean fuel in your tanks! (Or drain the mother before you haul it into the shop )
Thank you for sharing your experience! Hearing others' repair experiences -- and the tips learned along with them -- helps to put us SULEV owners at greater ease, and more empowered by the info.

To ask a relatively newb question: How do I monitor/control the amount of alcohol in my gas? Does CA law require it to be posted at the pump? Can I or my mechanic do a simple test?

I'm already peeved that CA limits us to 91 octane; Now I have to worry about another aspect of my E46's "diet".

Thanks again for telling us about your experience. Every story really does put me more at ease. Anyone know the best way to handle the alcohol content issue?

TD
Technik Dynamik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #68
rifraf

My Ride: 05 325ci
I asked the same question to my tech, by law gas is not allowed to have more that 10 percent but some 'cheaper' gas stations/companies I guess dilute with alcohol to get more money out of their gas. He said to stay away from them and stick with better quality stations like Shell and Chevron. He also stated that Quicktrip (an Arizona convenient store) has quality gas as well - which for us is usually about 10 cents cheaper that the other two.

As for checking the quality yourself, I found out it's actually easy. Not sure if the link will work, but you can just google 'How to test fuels for alcohol content' if not.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2143193_test...l-content.html
rifraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:58 AM   #69
Technik Dynamik

My Ride: 2004 325i Sport
Great info. Thanks!
Technik Dynamik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #70
Andreas1000

My Ride: E46 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcus View Post
I still say after the emissions warranty goes out on the SULEV, a normal plastic tank and filler tube will work. No reason it would not.
I compared some fuel system schematics on RealOEM.com of M56 vs M54. Looks like M56 uses a returneless fuel injection. It is a completely different system.
Andreas1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #71
BMW_325i

My Ride: BMW 2005 325i M56
i got an M56 got 129k on it no problems i heard that it was 150k for emissions parts im not sure just from what i heard
Old 05-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #72
Cmpmeridian

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Exactly we repair things to FACTORY specs Hacks or Bubba's do things like put the wrongs part on cars ask them......

Tampering of Vehicle Emission Controls

Defines "tampering" and what kinds of vehicle repairs can be made to correct tampering. law prohibits selling or leasing tampered vehicles.

* Definition of "Tampering"
* Vehicle Repairs
* Vehicle Sales
* Alternative Fuel Conversions
* More Information
* Rules

Definition of "Tampering"

Tampering is removing or making inoperable any system or device used to control emissions from a motor vehicle engine. The motor vehicle is defined as any self-propelled vehicle designed for transporting persons or property on a street or highway. The only exception to the tampering rule is the need to install a new certified emission control system or device that is equally effective in reducing vehicle emissions.

Tampering may include, but is not limited to:

* Removing the catalytic converter, air pump, and exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve, or doing anything to keep them from working properly, such as disconnecting vacuum lines and electrical or mechanical parts of the pollution control system.

* Adjusting any element of a car or truck's emission control design so that it no longer meets the manufacturer's specifications.

* Installing a replacement part that is not the same in design and function as the part that was originally on the vehicle.

* Adding a part that was not originally certified on the car, such as installing a turbocharger.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) anti-tampering enforcement policy is covered under the provisions of Mobile Source Enforcement Memorandum No. 1AExit TNRCC site. This policy states that the EPA will not consider any modification to a certified configuration to be a violation of federal law if there is a reasonable basis that emissions are not adversely affected. A certified configuration is an engine or engine-chassis design that has been certified or approved by the EPA to meet certain emission standards prior to the production of vehicles with that specific design. Evidence of federally approved testing must be available upon request.

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/complaints/index.html Nice little form filled it out a few times
I found an independent who will convert my tank to the M54 setup if the pump goes out of warranty. The post above is why people find honest independent technicians to do work for them. The m54 fuel system is sealed just like the M56, the M56 fuel system would give any liberal a wet dream. It is the most absurd design, BMW should have to warranty it for the life of the engine. If someonw sued them, I bet you they would win. Do not call something lifetime unless it last the life of the powertrain.
Cmpmeridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:20 AM   #73
crazzy88ss

My Ride: 05 330 ZHP auto
Anybody with higher mileage (120k-149,999) have any more results on their fuel systems? I'm looking at buying an 04 325 M56 with 86k in perfect condition for $5,000 (buying it from my dad at a "college graduation gift" price). A $6500 fuel tank + labor will be worth more than the car is worth by the time I get it over 150,000 miles in a few years, assuming the tank/pump last that long.

Also, is the FILTER considered part of that "life time warranty?" In other words, is it possible to change the filter with out replacing the entire tank?

Last edited by crazzy88ss; 05-18-2011 at 01:24 AM.
crazzy88ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:48 AM   #74
Cmpmeridian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzy88ss View Post
Anybody with higher mileage (120k-149,999) have any more results on their fuel systems? I'm looking at buying an 04 325 M56 with 86k in perfect condition for $5,000 (buying it from my dad at a "college graduation gift" price). A $6500 fuel tank + labor will be worth more than the car is worth by the time I get it over 150,000 miles in a few years, assuming the tank/pump last that long.

Also, is the FILTER considered part of that "life time warranty?" In other words, is it possible to change the filter with out replacing the entire tank?
Do not question it, purchase the vehicle.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:09 AM   #75
crazzy88ss

My Ride: 05 330 ZHP auto
is that because I'm getting a good deal on it, or because the fuel system isn't an issue?
crazzy88ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:19 AM   #76
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
It should be able to retrofit a normal plastic gas tank and fuel filter. The mechanic who posted it was illegal was a chode. He never got back to the conversion issue either. My M56 never gave me ANY issues...and I modded it just the same as a normal BMW. I have the pics and parts to prove it. Do not be scared of the M56. Programming, exhaust, intake, STB will work. Been there, done that.................

PM me if you need any input on the M56.............

But hell.....guess some of the people who have a non M56 engine know more about it than me.........
Old 05-18-2011, 02:22 AM   #77
Cmpmeridian

For 5k you have a BMW for 60,000 miles you dont have to worry about the issue. Mine has 144,000 miles and the original setup is still working. I use only the best gas and do not run the tank low. You can always purchase a used tank for $2 grand and pay someone $800 to install it. I have never had a fuel pump go bad on any car in 26 years and several hundred thousand miles of driving. That being said, this fuel tank setup is the worst thing BMW has ever designed.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #78
g6

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzy88ss View Post

Pump and filter are both sealed in the tank. I would honestly probably buy it, but sell before 150k. Also be prepared to heavily present your case because nobody is going to know about the fuel system, anywhere you go. You could be like "change the fuel filter" and the idiot at the shop will get it up on the lift and be like uhhhhh it isnt there !!! these cars are all going to eventually become paperweights. how do i know? i had one. its not that it is a bad car don't get me wrong, just what the hell are you going to do when your fuel pump dies. emphasis on when. Also these $6500 quotes are very generous. it is more like 9500 after all is said and done.

Last edited by g6; 05-18-2011 at 09:15 AM.
g6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #79
g6

My Ride: BMW
Well, Maybe not $9500 but it will be expensive.

01 Fuel tank, metal with filler pipe 1 16116763569 $6,471.83

And the actual price from tischer:
Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
16116763569 $6,558.69 $0.00 $5,246.95
Fuel system - Fuel supply - Fuel tank
Fuel tank, 325i, ci, 330i, ci, w/sulev 2004
Old 06-17-2011, 11:05 PM   #80
fReShe46

My Ride: 04 325ci
Mine just went out at 82k..the dealer is waiting on a back order from Germany..the ETA on it is end of October of this year due to supplier issues..WOW! But at least its cover and I will have a loaner to drive in the mean time. i will keep you guys updated.