E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2011, 12:18 AM   #81
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) anti-tampering enforcement policy is covered under the provisions of Mobile Source Enforcement Memorandum No. 1AExit TNRCC site. This policy states that the EPA will not consider any modification to a certified configuration to be a violation of federal law if there is a reasonable basis that emissions are not adversely affected. A certified configuration is an engine or engine-chassis design that has been certified or approved by the EPA to meet certain emission standards prior to the production of vehicles with that specific design. Evidence of federally approved testing must be available upon request.

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/complaints/index.html Nice little form filled it out a few times
That bold line should give quite a bit of wiggle room for those who do want to do the cheaper alternatives for SULEV repairs. Also, California emissions standards != EPA emissions. SULEV and ULEV are California emissions standards. The EPA standards are different, and both the M56 and M54 are considered to be a part of the EPA's "BIN 5" standard.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:11 AM   #82
Cmpmeridian

My Ride: 2003 325i
Mine has 146,000, no issues yet. Will convert mine to the plastic tank if it goes.
Cmpmeridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:42 AM   #83
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Kilroy was here
Old 07-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #84
dublus

My Ride: 325i
Has anybody heard of anyone actually accomplishing the M56-M54 fuel tank swap?

I've searched for a couple days now and can't find a single example of someone doing it.

I'm in California so the warranty should be ok for me... except for that pesky salvaged title on the car. (note to self - never buy SULEV with salvage title)
dublus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #85
rizwan1377

My Ride: 04 M56,LC 100,RX300
Send a message via AIM to rizwan1377 Send a message via MSN to rizwan1377 Send a message via Yahoo to rizwan1377
$7k!?!? thats fvcking crazy... My 04 325i SULEV has 152k miles and has no problems.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:49 AM   #86
dublus

Finally got around to swapping out my tank today. A friend who owns a wrecking yard found a tank for $800 so I decided it would be better to do it that way than to try to get "creative".

If you do this job yourself you have to remove the drive shaft and exhaust, remove both rear wheels, remove the right rear spring, shock and break fluid line and loosen both emergency brake lines so you can slip them out of the way. In my case I had filled up with gas the night before the car wouldn't start so I had to deal with a full tank with no real way to empty it until it was removed.

Not a fun job.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #87
rizwan1377

Send a message via AIM to rizwan1377 Send a message via MSN to rizwan1377 Send a message via Yahoo to rizwan1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by dublus View Post
Finally got around to swapping out my tank today. A friend who owns a wrecking yard found a tank for $800 so I decided it would be better to do it that way than to try to get "creative".

If you do this job yourself you have to remove the drive shaft and exhaust, remove both rear wheels, remove the right rear spring, shock and break fluid line and loosen both emergency brake lines so you can slip them out of the way. In my case I had filled up with gas the night before the car wouldn't start so I had to deal with a full tank with no real way to empty it until it was removed.

Not a fun job.
Thanks for all the info. How many miles did the car have(your and the wrecked)?
Old 08-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #88
dublus

The car has only 60k on it but I'm sure the pump went bad because my daughter, who does most of the driving in that car, would routinely let the tank run near-empty before filling up.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #89
golf_234

My Ride: E46, E90, E82, F22
Quote:
The car has only 60k on it but I'm sure the pump went bad because my daughter, who does most of the driving in that car, would routinely let the tank run near-empty before filling up.
lol, you just cant get mad at them can you.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #90
rizwan1377

Quote:
lol. the fuel light never came on since I bought my car, it has 152k miles and still running good. I am kinda worried about the fuel pump. Did you talk to the dealer about the warranty stuff?
Old 08-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #91
dublus

I'm in a different boat than just about everyone else.

This car was totaled out by the insurance company which voids everything except recalls.

I knew I was either going to do it myself or scrap the car and part it out. I'm glad it "only" cost $800.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #92
ramitos

My Ride: 1991 E30 and 2003E46
question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
technically that tampering with federal emissions and is a fine..... Not that I wouldn't do the same but........
I apressiate the answer, Have a same car w/sulev and had a code p1352 misfire at 6 at staring and find out the secondary pump was not working and trying to see if i had power with a tester at the moment to start the engine it ran and then it shut off and could not get it to start anymore, the bentley book has a limit information about this motors, would like to know if there's another book for this particular engine, this engine has not fuel pump relay it does have a module but anyone know how to check if the pump stil good? or something? thanks all of you guys for the help. when try to start the engine I don't hear any pump noise, any advise, thanks again
ramitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #93
txmbr

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
WOW...old thread. I'm at 99K and no fuel system issues. That SAP is a part of the emmissions stream and you may want to check with BMWNA or dealer for replacement under warranty.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #94
ramitos

My Ride: 1991 E30 and 2003E46
No no this one, this is out of waranty already, but im trying to diagnostic the problem but the book says no much about this engine thanks for the reply hoping somone help me regards guy thanks again
ramitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #95
Andreas1000

My Ride: E46 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramitos View Post
No no this one, this is out of waranty already, but im trying to diagnostic the problem but the book says no much about this engine thanks for the reply hoping somone help me regards guy thanks again
Find out if the car was originally sold in California. In California SULEV vehicles have a 15 Years warranty on ALL emission components INCLUDING the entire gastank incl. pump and all. If the vehicle was originally sold in California, BMW should honor the 15 Years warranty.

BTW: to answer the original question of this thread. The transfer pump in our car started to make noises around 6000 miles and was replaced under warranty. I told my wife to try not to run the tank below half.

Last edited by Andreas1000; 04-24-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: add
Andreas1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #96
txmbr

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
That 15 year/150 K warranty applies to all SULEV vehicles sold in the United States. Does not have to be originally sold in CA.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #97
e46crooser

My Ride: 99 328 5spd
You have to make the service adviser at the dealership understand you know about the 15/150 warranty as they do not seem to understand this. I had a problem with a friends LDP and they told him it was going to be $xxx.xx to replace and I had to talk to the dealership and get to the service manager who finally said, oh yeah that is a covered item. So they play dumb
e46crooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:07 AM   #98
Rob_in_LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46crooser View Post
You have to make the service adviser at the dealership understand you know about the 15/150 warranty as they do not seem to understand this. I had a problem with a friends LDP and they told him it was going to be $xxx.xx to replace and I had to talk to the dealership and get to the service manager who finally said, oh yeah that is a covered item. So they play dumb
This is very much worth knowing. I am California based, so I am taking a keen interest in this discussion. If the car fuel pump fails on the interstate, it seems that I have it towed to ANY reliable dealer, and they will do the necessary.

I wonder what there is in the small print of the warranty. I have been having a local independent BMW shop do some of the maintenance; oil changes, brake pads and disks, and that kind of thing I do myself.
Rob_in_LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:02 AM   #99
Rob_in_LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas1000 View Post
Find out if the car was originally sold in California. In California SULEV vehicles have a 15 Years warranty on ALL emission components INCLUDING the entire gastank incl. pump and all. If the vehicle was originally sold in California, BMW should honor the 15 Years warranty.
This link connects (as of this posting) to a BMW internal memo confirming the 15 year / 150,000 mile warranty on the tank-pump-filter assembly (BMW Part No. 16116763569, for 325i, SULEV, M56 cars)

http://www.ge39.com/files/M56sulev.pdf

There were so few of these made that your deal may know nothing about this, and apparently North American BMW is not very helpful either, but this document strong implies that the warranty is *real* and that both the 6,500 USD part and the installation are covered under warranty.

Personally I am going to print out this memo and put it in my glove box.

Last edited by Rob_in_LA; 05-01-2012 at 05:08 AM.
Rob_in_LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #100
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas1000 View Post

BTW: to answer the original question of this thread. The transfer pump in our car started to make noises around 6000 miles and was replaced under warranty. I told my wife to try not to run the tank below half.
Whoa this interesting since my wife's M56 SULEV's fuel pump is failing. So BMW is responsible for repairing any problems with the fuel pump/regulator, which inside the sealed gas tank? I can just go up to the dealer or do I have to prove that it's failing first? (failed smog etc?).