E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #121
ramitos

My Ride: 1991 E30 and 2003E46
I will do what what SOKOl989 did is the best way for the price, when I had that problem I did not what to do but fortunately i still was under warranty, but now I'm not and if that happens again I think I will do the conversion, on the radiator you mention that it cover by a lifetime warranty? on the SULEV cars i appreciate your info on that, thanks and good luck
ramitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:42 PM   #122
TonyNY

My Ride: 325i M56
Hello, everyone.
Yes I have the M56 also, with 65k
I always fill her up when it gets bellow half a tank . Always shell or moble .
I also threw in some moly lub gas treatments lol
The purpose of preserving the tank is to keep it cool.
If im not mistaken warranty is 15 year or 150k
TonyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #123
SoCaLe39

My Ride: 06 M5 & 03 325i
For the radiator, if you are out of warranty just replace with a standard e46 radiator as it will fit perfectly fine. The only difference between the two I'd that our original radiators came with a special coating aside from that they are the exact same.
SoCaLe39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #124
golf_234

My Ride: E46, E90, E82, F22
Such a beyond ridiculous design
Old 04-04-2014, 12:37 PM   #125
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Apparently the SULEVs run a 5 bar fuel system like the M3. So if I had a sulev and wanted to convert tanks, I would install the M3 fuel pump and fuel regulator.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #126
vengefulgod

My Ride: 325i
I just got my fuel pump and tank done under warranty. I had a misfire around 70 mph on the freeway and I took it in to the dealership and they took care of me no problem. I had a sweet loaner car for 4 days then got my car back and now she runs like a champ!!
vengefulgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:41 PM   #127
TonyNY

[QUOTE=vengefulgod;16088886]I just got my fuel pump and tank done under warranty. I had a misfire around 70 mph on the freeway and I took it in to the dealership and they took care of me no problem. I had a sweet loaner car for 4 days then got my car back and now she runs like a champ!![/QUOT

Dude how did u get away with murder lol
But thats awesome news,

Last edited by TonyNY; 04-04-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:24 AM   #128
vengefulgod

California emissions warranty. I feel a bit lucky it happened before the 150k. Im at about 111k so Im happy as a clam. 6,800 dollars worth of parts and 2 and half days of labor. Im scared to know the total cost. all that work done 100% free. I did not pay 1 dollar. Life can be nice to us some times
vengefulgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:32 AM   #129
MMMGP

My Ride: 325iT, 1997 M3 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMGP View Post
I have the same problem, but a little higher up in the rev range. Some of the members on here believe it's a transmission issue. Wagon's at 109K miles now.

Shoot, forgot to update this thread. The idle surging issue is gone. I replaced the OFHG, VANOS seals + anti-rattle bearings, VCG, and a new VANOS oil line.

Upon removing the VANOS oil line, I noticed someone had doubled up on the washers on each side of the banjo bolt. I corrected the issue, but am wondering if the extra thickness of the washers placed the hole in the banjo bolt in a position which starved the VANOS of oil possibly causing the idle surge.

Wagon is at 128K now and running like a champ. Need to find a reason to bring it to the dealer and have 'em swap out the tank before 150K rolls around.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:41 AM   #130
TonyNY

I called up local dealer for parts, asked for price on Expansion Tank thermostat for trans and a Cap, thay asked for my last 7 vin and phone number obviously thay know whats up since i was there before. My question is if i attempt to pull out radiator, do i void warranty from radiator?
Old 04-05-2014, 02:47 AM   #131
TonyNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMGP View Post
Shoot, forgot to update this thread. The idle surging issue is gone. I replaced the OFHG, VANOS seals + anti-rattle bearings, VCG, and a new VANOS oil line.

Upon removing the VANOS oil line, I noticed someone had doubled up on the washers on each side of the banjo bolt. I corrected the issue, but am wondering if the extra thickness of the washers placed the hole in the banjo bolt in a position which starved the VANOS of oil possibly causing the idle surge.

Wagon is at 128K now and running like a champ. Need to find a reason to bring it to the dealer and have 'em swap out the tank before 150K rolls around.
Crack up. If there isn't a problem with the tank then theres no reason to attempt to replace it.
My advise is just be honest, Pay the hour rate and have them check it.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #132
ramitos

My Ride: 1991 E30 and 2003E46
There's nothing to check on the tank, they will replace it under warranty after a diagnostic is being conducted by their technicians, also first they will read the car key to check the history and milage of the car when they find out the the car won't start or low pressure they will replace it.
ramitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #133
TonyNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramitos View Post
There's nothing to check on the tank, they will replace it under warranty after a diagnostic is being conducted by their technicians, also first they will read the car key to check the history and milage of the car when they find out the the car won't start or low pressure they will replace it.
Makes sense, sorry for misleading.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #134
Gepetto

My Ride: 2004 325i
After having found out about the SULEV issue, it really does trouble me. If I had known about this when I bought the car (2004 325i) when new, I would have insisted on either a manual or just coughed up the $ for a 330 automatic. That being said, so far, so good at 129,800 miles (mostly highway). But I'm already dreading the day 5 years + 1 happens, or 150,001 miles, and the fuel pump hasn't died yet...

Last edited by Gepetto; 04-09-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Gepetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:15 PM   #135
roblivingstone

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Mine didn't die but I replaced it with a tested 100$ used one when I had symptoms. Later found it to be my intake cam sensor wires frayed. But, I now have a spare fp for that day it fails and I also found out my pf appears newer then my used one. So good to go. Maybe you should grab a second one for that day, ahead of time.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
roblivingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #136
Gepetto

[QUOTE=roblivingstone;16096941]Mine didn't die but I replaced it with a tested 100$ used one when I had symptoms. Later found it to be my intake cam sensor wires frayed. But, I now have a spare fp for that day it fails and I also found out my pf appears newer then my used one. So good to go. Maybe you should grab a second one for that day, ahead of time.

Where did you find yours? Junk yard? That might not be a bad idea, especially if it dies during warranty. Then you can keep the spare indefinitely...
Old 04-09-2014, 10:10 PM   #137
roblivingstone

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
[QUOTE=Gepetto;16097022]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roblivingstone View Post
Mine didn't die but I replaced it with a tested 100$ used one when I had symptoms. Later found it to be my intake cam sensor wires frayed. But, I now have a spare fp for that day it fails and I also found out my pf appears newer then my used one. So good to go. Maybe you should grab a second one for that day, ahead of time.

Where did you find yours? Junk yard? That might not be a bad idea, especially if it dies during warranty. Then you can keep the spare indefinitely...

Yup, junkyard it was. I also plan on getting a few other parts for my e46 that are known to be curb kickers as we load the tow. Lol. But ya, a junkyard for that just in case moment

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
roblivingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:14 PM   #138
Gepetto

I'll start looking then. If you should happen upon one, feel free to PM me. Though you're in Canada maybe there's a way to get it to NYC (I'd pay all expenses + time, of course...).

It might also not be a bad idea to start a thread just for this. That way, if folks find spare tanks we can create a directory so we can all help each other out.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #139
c28vette

Just Replaced M56 Fuel Tank

Had a fuel pump failing, mainly occasionally making a very loud noise and high level of vibration you could feel at the underside of the fuel tank. Figured I would simply install a new $175 fuel pump over the weekend and THEN discovered the sad story regarding the Fricking M56 "hermetic" fuel module, with tank, filter, transfer pump, and fuel pump all one piece and serviced only as a $7500 assembly. At 161,000 miles I was SOL on the 15 year 150,000 warranty (which hopefully everyone knows about now) yes, it does cover it 100% regardless of what state you live in so don't let the dealer BS you on that.

At any rate I got a very low mileage M56 salvage tank and a lifetime warranty for a total with tax of about $2,000.

Was going to have our local independent replace it, but they were a little cranky about putting used parts in a car, so I ended up spending 2 days and doing it myself.

I work slowly and methodically, and could probably do it again in half the time, but it is done now. Worst part was maneuvering the filler pipe up into position and ended up pulling the diff and rear suspension to give enough clearance. I was up on 4 jackstands, and if you are on a full lift with standing room under the car you might not need to do this. If you are going to tackle it, pull off the RR wheel and the access covers, then look at what you are faced with prior to proceeding. Everything else is relatively easy, just time consuming. Don't forget new bolts for driveshaft (both ends) and half shafts to do it by the book. Also diff fluid.

Car seems to run smoother now too, so might have been a side benefit. Last service dealer could not find anything wrong though and of course the pump was quiet while it was there.

Might want to buy that salvage tank now, I have a feeling low mileage M56 fuel tanks will start getting more difficult to find in the future.

cheers

Last edited by c28vette; 08-04-2014 at 10:18 PM. Reason: spelling
c28vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:54 PM   #140
c28vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Apparently the SULEVs run a 5 bar fuel system like the M3. So if I had a sulev and wanted to convert tanks, I would install the M3 fuel pump and fuel regulator.
(aside from the emissions legality question) That could be extremely important information for anyone considering replacing the M56 fuel tank with a plastic tank and serviceable pump, filter, etc. I had considered doing that before finding a good low mileage M56 tank, and would have not known about the need to use an M3 or equivalent fuel pump. There are a whole lot of odd M56 unique components is what I am slowly discovering. Including (I think) cylinder head, exhaust (for sure) and other parts. Have to say the car has been great otherwise, but the sealed tank is complete BS to get a Fed and CA credit for something that ultimately is not "green" by any common sense definition.
c28vette is offline   Reply With Quote