E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 08:31 AM   #21
BMWespresso

My Ride: 2005 325CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek142 View Post
Fixed.
Yeap tranny is much happier with the grape juice
Old 06-08-2009, 08:33 AM   #22
BMWespresso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BMW5 View Post
this one is making me nervous...haha could possibly be a $3k+ ATF change
Dude no, do not change the fluid is lifetime .......using a bit of reverse psycho
Old 06-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #23
///BMW5

My Ride: 330ci
well i think i'm going for it...i'll report back soon...pray for me haha
Old 06-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #24
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Good luck! I think this thread contains a lot of good info that you might consider:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=680644

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #25
///BMW5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cngzsn View Post
Good luck! I think this thread contains a lot of good info that you might consider:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=680644
Literally just read that before I went back to my post! My only concerns are 1) getting the EXACT fluid and 2) getting the right level of fluid
Old 06-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #26
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Not sure why getting the exact fluid is a problem. It should be on your manual, if not it is stamped on your tranny. Just crawl under there. Bavauto has OEM Esso fluid in case your dealer wants an arm and a leg for it.

Getting the right level of fluid is more of a concern, but check your manual on that. Here is what it'll possibly say:

http://www.europeantransmissions.com...ansService.pdf

You might also want to read this following DIY, which is very detailed and informative:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...Fluid_Auto.htm

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #27
BMWespresso

Quote:
well i think i'm going for it...i'll report back soon...pray for me haha
No need for praying, make sure you clean your hands, cloth and shoes are clean when you go inside car, the fluid smell is hard to remove from inside car, maybe have some else not working on the car start the engine and run thru the gears
Old 06-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #28
BMWespresso

Quote:
Literally just read that before I went back to my post! My only concerns are 1) getting the EXACT fluid and 2) getting the right level of fluid
no biggy, just make sure car is as high as possible and leveled
Old 06-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #29
///BMW5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cngzsn View Post
Not sure why getting the exact fluid is a problem. It should be on your manual, if not it is stamped on your tranny. Just crawl under there. Bavauto has OEM Esso fluid in case your dealer wants an arm and a leg for it.

Getting the right level of fluid is more of a concern, but check your manual on that. Here is what it'll possibly say:

http://www.europeantransmissions.com...ansService.pdf

You might also want to read this following DIY, which is very detailed and informative:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...Fluid_Auto.htm

Thanks!! I'm gonna read up
Old 06-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #30
///BMW5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWespresso View Post
No need for praying, make sure you clean your hands, cloth and shoes are clean when you go inside car, the fluid smell is hard to remove from inside car, maybe have some else not working on the car start the engine and run thru the gears
Thanks for all of your advice! We will be using a lift for the change
Old 06-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #31
BMWespresso

Quote:
Thanks for all of your advice! We will be using a lift for the change
oh man easy, the worst part was working on the floor with limited space, you lucky
Old 06-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #32
radaddict

My Ride: 325Xi
If you have a GM tranny, just use Dexron VI. It's cheap, it's available and it's what BMW (and GM) says to use (check Tischer's site). I have an '04 330Ci with a GM tranny. I changed the fluid and filter at 66k. I'm now just shy of 70k miles and all is well.
radaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:39 PM   #33
jayton

My Ride: 01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbun View Post
Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this..."

Doctor: "Stop doing that".
Seriously. Are you downshifting from 2 to 1 for the purpose of slowing the car down? That is never a good idea. Just slow it down by downshifting to 2nd gear and then put it back in first once the vehicle has completely stopped.

As far as changing the transmission fluid, YES it is recommended. The only thing that is not recommended is getting the transmission fluid flushed by one of those big fancy machines at the dealers or repair shops. You should drop the pan and change transmission filter at the same time. I'm about to do this myself on my 2001 steptronic with 137k miles.
jayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #34
i_ween

My Ride: '02 330Ci Vert
I have 93,000 miles on my '02 330Ci (steptronic, not sure but I think GM), and I *will* change the transmission fluid within a year. I am not afraid. I am afraid of not changing the fluid.

Do it.

check out my astrophotography:
www.gil-galad.com
i_ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #35
Jano4

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Recently changed fluid and filter at 84,000. So far so good.
Jano4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #36
mickey513

My Ride: e46
Quote:
I have the GM transmission with the green sticker with "lifetime" oil in it.
If you have a 330ci, it might be the ESSO fluid even though the transmission sticker is green. I have the green sticker on my 02 330i and thought it was the Texaco Fluid but after I jacked up the car and went down to look, it has the part number for the ESSO fluid even though the sticker was green.

The ESSO Fluid can be found at Bavauto.com, make sure you use a OEM transmission filter and OEM tranny pan gasket.
mickey513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:19 AM   #37
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
OEM gasket all the way for the tranny pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey513 View Post
The ESSO Fluid can be found at Bavauto.com, make sure you use a OEM transmission filter and OEM tranny pan gasket.
I will second the OEM tranny pan gasket. The Elring-Klinger (rubber) replacement can be cut when the pan is torqued against the transmission body. The edge of the tranny's mating surface is sharp, and will cut the gasket where the pan isn't shaped exactly as the body. Tough to explain, but take my word for it. Unless you risk doing it twice, which I did. Oh well, cleaner fluid if anything.

I wouldn't fear getting the fill to the proper level, as the others have already said. If you follow some of the great DIY's already available, I don't think you will be off by much.

Regards,
Paolo
cvx5832 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:33 AM   #38
Rickljc

My Ride: 2003 330 ci
I done this job by my own at 100000mile on my 2003 330ci, it was a pain when you take out the oil pan replace oil filter, it will drip also when you refill the oil need keep engine running and at the very end the oil will spill out. And if you purchase from Palican wach out the fill plug, the plug was come with filter it is a package BUT LET ME TELL YOU, FOR MY CAR THE PLUG DOES NOT FIT . when I finished try to put on the new fill plug then I was stock over there , end up I use the old one , I call Palican they just say it come with this way from manufacture.
now after 3000mile every thing is fine~~~for your information
oil - Bavarian auto
filter set - Palican
Rickljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:47 AM   #39
GTUnit

My Ride: short bus
Send a message via AIM to GTUnit
Changing fluid is important because the life of the fluid depends completely on HOW HARD THE CAR IS DRIVEN.
The notion of "Lifetime" fluid is stupid. Lifetime of what? The transmission and not the car. The cars "life" ends when the transmission dies.
Lifetime fluid tells me the transmission life is less then the fluid life. NOT a good deal.

Anyway.. important point. I would NOT change the fluid type to redline or anything else in an Auto.
Put in exactly the same type that was in there before. "Better" lubrication is not necessarily better for an Auto tranny.
It is designed for a certain amount of friction in the fluid. If you change specification that there can be problems.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:57 AM   #40
///BMW5

Thanks for all of the great info guys...im slowly gathering the necessary info to do this properly, the first time. I will drop the protective metal covering tomorrow and read what the sticker says on it. BMW wanted $45 PER liter for Esso (7l required) so definitely not buying it from the stealership