E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
maxm50

My Ride: 1999 Steel Blue 328i
JL Audio A1200 amp hooked up before factory amp - High or Low-level inputs?

Hey all,
I just finished installing a JL A1200 amp with a 10" Alpine Type S subwoofer in the ski pass (I'll post pics later...)

Quick question: I tapped into the factory wires (Blue-Black and Yellow-Black w/ corresponding grounds) and used those as inputs to the JL. It accepts balanced differential inputs. These wires are in between the stock head unit and power amplifier, right?

Should I use the High (2v-8v) or Low (200mV-2V) input setting on my JL A1200?

Thanks!
-Max
maxm50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
high. signal is either 6 or 8 volts, if I recall correctly. Fine tune with the gain
Old 04-25-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
maxm50

My Ride: 1999 Steel Blue 328i
Excellent - I tried that out and it sounds great. I'll have to fine tune the crossover point and levels, but it's awesome so far! Thanks!

-Max
maxm50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:17 AM   #4
Many330i

My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxm50 View Post
Hey all,
I just finished installing a JL A1200 amp with a 10" Alpine Type S subwoofer in the ski pass (I'll post pics later...)

Quick question: I tapped into the factory wires (Blue-Black and Yellow-Black w/ corresponding grounds) and used those as inputs to the JL. It accepts balanced differential inputs. These wires are in between the stock head unit and power amplifier, right?

Should I use the High (2v-8v) or Low (200mV-2V) input setting on my JL A1200?

Thanks!
-Max
pics?
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
danielkspencer

My Ride: 2006 Mustang GT
I used the same tap in technique on my install. When I tested my wires I only got 1v at best from these. I just spliced them into RCA's and used as a low level input since it's under 2v.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
ca1242

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkspencer View Post
I used the same tap in technique on my install. When I tested my wires I only got 1v at best from these. I just spliced them into RCA's and used as a low level input since it's under 2v.
They are 6-8 volts. The reason why you get a low voltage is that on a balanced differential system, the signal wires are out of phase, so the signals cancel each other. If you measure each lead to ground, you would get the proper voltage.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
danielkspencer

My current system was using these wires as speaker level inputs to the amp and it worked ok, but I was planning on hooking them to my new amp as RCA inputs. I already took a couple of RCA's and wired them up for the install. Just waiting on the new amp to arrive. I had heard of people doing this, is it bad??????? I figured it was ok since the reading was low on my meter.
The new amp I'm using is a Pioneer Premier PRS-D2100T

Should I go back to using speaker level input on this amp too????

Last edited by danielkspencer; 06-06-2009 at 09:54 AM.
danielkspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:09 PM   #8
ca1242

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkspencer View Post
My current system was using these wires as speaker level inputs to the amp and it worked ok, but I was planning on hooking them to my new amp as RCA inputs. I already took a couple of RCA's and wired them up for the install. Just waiting on the new amp to arrive. I had heard of people doing this, is it bad??????? I figured it was ok since the reading was low on my meter.
The new amp I'm using is a Pioneer Premier PRS-D2100T

Should I go back to using speaker level input on this amp too????
As long as your amp can take balanced-differential signals, this is the best way to do it.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:00 AM   #9
danielkspencer

I can't find anything about my amp that says it can but its a new Pioneer Premiere. I saw a guy on the forum with an Alpine that says his works fine hooked straight up too. I looked up his amp and didn't see anything listed in the specs that said it would take Balanced either. Is it common for aftermarket amps to take balanced diff signal now??
My friend who is a MECA boy says if we hook it up and it doesn't work we can add this to fix the problem http://www.roadgiant.com/pacoem-2uni...interface.aspx
Old 06-07-2009, 09:20 AM   #10
ca1242

Most likely the Pioneer can't take balanced diff. signals. Try it first, if doesn't work, get an adaptor. I have never used the OEM2, but you can try a peripheral sven 2. It is a lot simpler.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
danielkspencer

I looked up the SVENR and the one I posted the link about. Neither one mentions "balanced differential" They both seem to just be converters for speaker level to RCA. Is that Correct???? And if so why not just use the Speaker level inputs of the Amp?????

Also, if the amp doesn't take balanced differential signal will it harm the amp or the car system to try it with the balanced signal????????

Last edited by danielkspencer; 06-07-2009 at 11:45 AM.
danielkspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:12 AM   #12
danielkspencer

Ok, just to let you know. The system worked fine with the Pioneer Amp without a LOC or anything. Just hooked it straight in. Also, we tested it with some other amps just for the heck of it. Didn't find a single one that wouldn't work!!!!! We even tried the Bazooa tube hooked up to the RCA inputs and it worked great. Hi-Fonics Worked. Sony worked. Even an old Boss piece of crap worked. Oh, and MTX. So I'm thinking this Balanced crap is irrelevent.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:08 AM   #13
gspogies

My Ride: '04 325i Sedan
I have a JL Audio 250/1v1 splash amp...does anyone know if this amp take balanced diff. signals?

If yes, is it better to use an LOC or not?
gspogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #14
ca1242

Are you sure you tapped into the correct wires? Should be the ones with the brown/orange grounds...

JL amps can take balanced-differential signals just fine.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:16 PM   #15
danielkspencer

I'm 100% sure. It's the rear right and rear left channels pre hqk amp. I'm ODC as can be. I quadruple verified wiring diagrams before I spliced. It sounds great and I know what great sounds like My best friend builds SPL boxes professionally. I've put in several 145+ db systems.
I suggest anyone do it this way and try it before they waste money on a line out converter.