E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
XscoreX

My Ride: the dirt devil
Send a message via AIM to XscoreX
Tire experts need advice (bad sale)

Ok i sold a used general uhp tire to a board member. I thought everything was fine until this morning when i got a pm telling me the tire I sold him wouldnt hold air. I was running this tire with no problems until I took it off to sell the rims. The buyer said he stretched the 235-35-19 to fit 19/9.5. Im assuming the his tire place put on the tire, then it deflated. he says they told him there was a "gash on the bead" and that it wouldnt seal right.

Heres my dliemma. I want to do whats right. But I never had a problem with the tire and as far as i know when i sold it , it was in good condition. Im wondering what the tire experts on this board think? the only way the damage could have occured on my end was when the tire was being dismounted. Wouldnt his tire people have seen the damage? Could it have happened when trying to stretch it on the rim? What do you think is the fair thing to do? he said he would send me pics of it. Since it was running fine on my rim, Im leaning to the idea that the stretching onto a rim its doesnt really go on is more of the issue than the tire.

XscoreX is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
if its being stretched, your 'warranty' ended at that point.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
lol 235 on an 9.5'' rim... Just tell him to f off.

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
XscoreX

My Ride: the dirt devil
Send a message via AIM to XscoreX
well, is a 235-35-19 on a 19/9.5 stretched enough to do it? he said tire rack says thats an acceptable size to run on that rim, thats why im asking tire experts

XscoreX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
ikonmark

My Ride: x3 and 330i
ive stretched 225 on a 19x10 stretching will not tear it. your culprit will most likely be the dismounting or mounting of the tire.

depending on the quality of the tire shop will depend on if they inspect the tire before attempting to mount the tire, since the tire wasnt bought from them there really is no reason for them to look at it thoroughly. best bet would come to a mutual agreement for a partial refund and if you want the tire then have him send it back to you
Old 06-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
Gary@Tirerack

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3
9.5" is within the recommended rim width range that is given by General Tire itself on this tire in the 235/35R19 size. Assuming it was fine before unless *you* or *your* shop damaged the tire when dismounting it or shipping it, the responsibilty lies with the buyer due to incorrect installation or other error that is not your fault.

Click sig! -->

Gary@Tirerack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #7
ikonmark

My Ride: x3 and 330i
did you thoroughly inspect the tire right before shipping?