E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
danielkspencer

My Ride: 2006 Mustang GT
Lots of Bass added to Factory Nav-H/K System

I decided to add some bass but I wanted to keep my factory Nav head unit. I didn't want to go all crazy on the cost either, and it had to be a DIY.

I researched and found the best way to tap into the factory signal is just prior to the H/K amp. I tapped into the Blue/Black and Yellow/Black wires with the Brown/Orange grounds. These are located in a harness going into the H/K amp. If you want specifics on this search I'm sorry but I didn't take pictures of this. I connected RCAs to these wires. . .

My friend is a System designer and builder for MECA competitions so I had him seclect a Sub. We went with a single 10" TrueBass. This sub is hand made and mine is one of a kind. I cannot say enough about these subs. They are simple amazing and bulletproof. Much better than store brand speakers I see in most installs. My friend is hitting almost 150db using 4 of these 10's

We speced the sub on the computer after we got it built and he designed a box to the exact specifications the speaker needed to hit the hardest and the clearest.

We Built the box and then I painted it with Valspar FleckStone paint.

I installed my Pioneer Premiere Series Amp to the back of the box. The sub handles 600w RMS and the Amp delivers 600w RMS at 4ohms. Perfect.

The amp sits perfect in the hole for the ski pass. I didnt' have the ski pass option but I knocked out the hole, which was easy. It works perfectly.

I didn't use a Line out converter at all. The amp had no problem taking the "Balanced Differential Signal" even though it didn't say it would.

Now The system sounds great. With the amount of bass I'm getting from the Sub I can cut the bass level on the factory deck way down and it gives the factory speakers more power for the highs. It's not perfect since the H/K speakers suck, but it's 500% better.

My only real problem is the staging of the factory speakers. They don't put the sound in fron of me as much as I would want.

Thanks for reading

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
DJ Reminisce

My Ride: Knows Dubstep SUCKS
Nice!

I have that same box (although not as nice looking) lol

Gotta love the way bandpass/ported boxes sound, way more heart pounding bass than sealed enclosures

How much to build a box like that for me?

Now just replace your door speakers with some Hertz or Focals and you'll be good to go!
Amber LED Corners/6k HID Fogs/LED Interior_Shadow Emblems
500W_RE Audio_Hertz Components

House Mixes:
DJ Reminisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
I bet that does create some bass!!!

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:13 AM   #4
danielkspencer

My Ride: 2006 Mustang GT
He said He'll do one for like it for 80.00 and match it perfectly to your sub. Mine is hitting 135+ db His boxes are super solid. He's a perfectionist and takes a lot of pride in his work.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:46 PM   #5
330is0

My Ride: 2001 330i Sport
My car has a pair of JL Audio Stealthboxes ( http://************/l8j3d2 )hanging from the package rack and an amp mounted to the backside of the rear seat.

I think it's perfect.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
radarcontact

My Ride: 2006 330CiC/ZHP
nice job

Looks very good, bro!
radarcontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
HYPA06

My Ride: 330i
Nice box, I have a similar setup in my sedan. Two 10" alpine type R subs and a Precision Power amp. I think the factory speakers suck as well and have been thinking about replacing them soon, not sure with what yet.
HYPA06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
lorenzeandmark

My Ride: loves me too!!!
Send a message via Yahoo to lorenzeandmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330is0 View Post
My car has a pair of JL Audio Stealthboxes ( http://************/l8j3d2 )hanging from the package rack and an amp mounted to the backside of the rear seat.

I think it's perfect.
What subs are you using in the stealthboxes? Not the original IB8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris
Now go my child and enter the light....
lorenzeandmark is offline   Reply With Quote