E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
Droodsty

My Ride: '05 AW/IR Vert M3
I need a torque wrench

So I want to be able to change my break pads myself and I would also like to paint my calipers. I've been reading around all the DIYs and the process seems simple enough, however I am pretty much a mechincal newb and have never done this before. The only thing I am unsure about is the torque wrench, Ive read around enough to see that people seem to prefer the Snap On. But I am unsure about how this type of wrench works and what size I would need for this project. Any advise would be appreciated.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
U need to start with a budget

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #3
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
paging Ken@bimmertools.

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
Droodsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
U need to start with a budget
Like I said...I need the wrench for a caliper. I dont need a gold plated diamond encrusted one. It will not get that much use
Old 06-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
pepboys. 20 dollars.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
Stormos

My Ride: Not alot!
i got a Teng Tools one, awesome and i highly recommend it. Lifetime guarantee too!
Stormos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #7
deadpass

My Ride: 01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2Bimmer View Post
pepboys. 20 dollars.
or harbor freight.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:35 PM   #8
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droodsty View Post
Like I said...I need the wrench for a caliper. I dont need a gold plated diamond encrusted one. It will not get that much use
Then definitely not snap on. Sears has one for $25. Or just buy it and return when done.

Oh no he didn't!

Quote:
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Old 06-09-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
Droodsty

What size is the most important part of this question
Old 06-09-2009, 06:54 PM   #10
deadpass

My Ride: 01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droodsty View Post
What size is the most important part of this question

I got mine in 1/2" because I find that the best size for wheel lugs and getting the oil filter housing cap off, however 3/8" is going to be more universal I'd guess.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #11
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

My Ride: E90
Hi!

Bimmertools is under new ownership! Please welcome Taylor@bimmertools.com.
Click Here to say hi.
ken@bimmertools is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #12
CWABimmer

My Ride: '01 AW on Black 325i
Get an SK one from Ken ^^^ (Bimmertools) like I did!

(Actually, that reminds me...email coming your way Ken!)

ChrisTKHarris's Official Apprentice

19" HM2s | H&R Cupkit & Sways | BMP RSMs | AFE Intake | UUC TSE3 | RE Underdrive Pulleys | Schroth QFPs | 20% Tint | OEM Clears | Tinted Tails | Umnitza 50w P46s w/ Orion V2s | Silvannia Mirrored Bulbs | Jlevi LED Reverse, Sidemarker, & License Plate Lights | Bimmian Blacked Out Roundels, Black Handbrake Handle, ACS-Style Pedals, & Xenon Interior Lights | Custom Boots
CWABimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #13
Cazz

My Ride: 2005 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpass View Post
or harbor freight.
Look for the Harbor Freight circular. They had a coupon for their 1/2 inch torque wrench for $8 (normally $20). I'm not sure if the coupon is still in effect.
Cazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #14
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

$8.00? Seriously? You'd trust an $8.00 torque wrench on your car?

If HF can afford sell that for $8.00, imagine how much it cost them. Then, imagine the company that manufactured them being able to make a profit from that wholesale cost. We're talking about an instrument that is designed to accurately measure rotational force with reliable precision - not a barbecue spatula.

I don't care if you don't buy tools from me. Go to Sears before buying an $8.00 torque wrench.

Click Here to say hi.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:27 AM   #15
Cazz

My Ride: 2005 BMW M3
I had it backwards. It is $12 ($8 off).
Since it is on the front of the flyer, HF is probably using it as a "loss leader" to drive traffic.
Yes, I agree it probably isn't the highest grade tool, but it will torque lug bolts.
Cazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:33 AM   #16
kai-

My Ride: three two slow
and break them
kai- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:48 AM   #17
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

Well - $12 is a different story...

Click Here to say hi.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:39 AM   #18
frogg320

My Ride: 2000 323i
DO NOT buy a Sears torque wrench (at least, not the click-type. A beam type would be okay, but you don't want one of those anyway). Let me say that again--DO NOT BUY A SEARS TORQUE WRENCH. I've read a lot about torque wrenches, and these are terrible--they seem to break on a whole lot of people after very few uses, and are not covered by a lifetime warranty. Bad!

If you can find one, it sounds like the best money is spent on Husky. Lifetime warranty, not too expensive to begin with, great calibration out of the box and great holding of calibration if you treat it right. I got one for my racing team on ebay, new in its box. Works like a charm.

I have a harbor freight wrench, and while I don't have recalibration tools to constantly check accuracy (as the guy where I get lots of my info did; he was testing tools for the air force for several years, and learned a lot about what wrenches work and which don't), it has served me well for about 3 years now. Can't beat the price.

For brakes, I would not hesitate to use it. If I were rebuilding an engine and needed very careful settings to do things like head bolts, I might look into getting a nice new Husky wrench (from what I've read, it beat even Snap-on in terms of out-of-the-box accuracy...Snap-on held very well after it was sent for recalibration, but it may not come perfect from the factory. Oh, and they're crazy expensive.)...but really, you'll get very close to the right setting using a less expensive wrench. I don't mean buy a total POS, and they're out there--but Husky and Harbor Freight seem to be good choices. Obviously, so is everything Ken sells, depending on your budget.

While you do get what you pay for to some extent, I don't think that getting a good deal means you're getting trash, and I don't think paying a lot means you're getting the best there is. Go with experience, find out what people actually use and their experiences with it. Oh, and for the love of pete, don't buy a Sears torque wrench, please!

Last edited by frogg320; 06-10-2009 at 07:50 AM. Reason: had to make it bolder!
frogg320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #19
Born Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken@bimmertools View Post
Well - $12 is a different story...
Ken agreed there isn't much life in these cheap torque wrenches. Sears has a very limited waranty on these tools. Funny as most of their other craftsman tools carry a lifetime garantee.

Quote:
Old 06-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #20
Born Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogg320 View Post
DO NOT buy a Sears torque wrench (at least, not the click-type. A beam type would be okay, but you don't want one of those anyway). Let me say that again--DO NOT BUY A SEARS TORQUE WRENCH. I've read a lot about torque wrenches, and these are terrible--they seem to break on a whole lot of people after very few uses, and are not covered by a lifetime warranty. Bad!

If you can find one, it sounds like the best money is spent on Husky. Lifetime warranty, not too expensive to begin with, great calibration out of the box and great holding of calibration if you treat it right. I got one for my racing team on ebay, new in its box. Works like a charm.

I have a harbor freight wrench, and while I don't have recalibration tools to constantly check accuracy (as the guy where I get lots of my info did; he was testing tools for the air force for several years, and learned a lot about what wrenches work and which don't), it has served me well for about 3 years now. Can't beat the price.

For brakes, I would not hesitate to use it. If I were rebuilding an engine and needed very careful settings to do things like head bolts, I might look into getting a nice new Husky wrench (from what I've read, it beat even Snap-on in terms of out-of-the-box accuracy...Snap-on held very well after it was sent for recalibration, but it may not come perfect from the factory. Oh, and they're crazy expensive.)...but really, you'll get very close to the right setting using a less expensive wrench. I don't mean buy a total POS, and they're out there--but Husky and Harbor Freight seem to be good choices. Obviously, so is everything Ken sells, depending on your budget.

While you do get what you pay for to some extent, I don't think that getting a good deal means you're getting trash, and I don't think paying a lot means you're getting the best there is. Go with experience, find out what people actually use and their experiences with it. Oh, and for the love of pete, don't buy a Sears torque wrench, please!
+1. Even on the sears website; worst reviews ever.

Do they carry the tool u got at home depot?

Quote: