E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #21
mav909

My Ride: Rx8 231
Send a message via MSN to mav909
teng tools ones arnt bad, 3/8" is usually big enough, or you could get a 1/2" with an adaptor, this will alow you to get more leverage.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #22
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
yep...or autozone...got mine for $30 and its very accurate...i did a side by side comparison with my dads snap on torque wrench...same thing.
from what i have read, after a while the accuracy isnt as accurate on a cheaper torque wrench...but thats after years of use and improper use...dropping it...using it to take out bolts...etc etc....i think this is were the more expensive torque wrench benifit...there accuracy probably will last longer.

so if your job isnt fixing cars for a living...stick with a cheaper wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2Bimmer View Post
pepboys. 20 dollars.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:00 PM   #23
2kwiq

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2Bimmer View Post
pepboys. 20 dollars.
don't they have loaners? even autozone and advanced auto...ask...pretty sure you just put a deposit on it.
2kwiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #24
Droodsty

My Ride: '05 AW/IR Vert M3
I think the $100 one from bimmer tools looks decent. anyone have it? It doenst look like theyre in stock.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #25
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

My Ride: E90
Our SK wrenches are very reliable, and the new designs come with a traceable certificate of calibration. The SK torque wrenches shown on our site are the previous generation. Our supplier has been switching over to the new design, but stock seems to be thin for some reason. I hope that these will be more readily available very soon, at which time I plan on doing more promotion.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Bimmertools is under new ownership! Please welcome Taylor@bimmertools.com.
Click Here to say hi.
ken@bimmertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:13 PM   #26
BodyMan

My Ride: 2002 325i
Money spent on a torque wrench is money well spent. Not only look for accuracy but reliability and repeatability. It makes zero sense to guy a 20 precision measuring tool.
I own a 1/2" drive 50-250 lb, and a 3/8" 20-100lb Snap-On torque wrenches. I payed $199 for the 1/2" drive and $150 for the 3/8" drive. And make sure to get them calibrated every 3 or 4 years. I have had mine for about 8 years and I use the crap out of the 1/2" drive, and I could sell as new (lug nuts).Last time I had the 1/2" calibrated, it was still dead nuts on after 4 years. Keep in mind torque wrenches are the most accurate on a certain percentage of their rating. Usually within the middle 50%. Say on my 50-250, it would most accurate from around 70-175 or close to that. That's why I have a 3/8" drive that overlaps the 1/2" drive. Personally, I would get a SK from Ken. Harbor Freight tools are good to use once and then put in the trash. I have bought air body saws there and it lasts 2 years ($50) that one took a crap, and got another ($50) and it lasted a month. I then got a Snap-On $275 and have had this one 4 years no issues. You can buy a Harbor Freight tool one day, go buy the same tool a week later, and have two different quality of tools. And I prefer the micrometer click type of torque wrench.
BodyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #27
Rog323

My Ride: 135I, 06 Treg V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyMan View Post
Money spent on a torque wrench is money well spent. Not only look for accuracy but reliability and repeatability.

When idle time is expoentially increased the result is stupidity on a massive scale.
Rog323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:05 AM   #28
frogg320

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
+1. Even on the sears website; worst reviews ever.

Do they carry the tool u got at home depot?
Ah, the Husky? Funny story. I was looking at them online a few months ago, and then when I went to buy one, poof! I guess they stopped selling them? Though I can't imagine why...I went on ebay and bought one that was still new in its packaging (for a nice discount, too!) Easily the best money I've spent on a tool, all in all...besides maybe that $15 harbor freight wrench
frogg320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:16 AM   #29
lkstaack

My Ride: 04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken@bimmertools View Post
Our SK wrenches are very reliable, and the new designs come with a traceable certificate of calibration. The SK torque wrenches shown on our site are the previous generation. Our supplier has been switching over to the new design, but stock seems to be thin for some reason. I hope that these will be more readily available very soon, at which time I plan on doing more promotion.

I apologize for the inconvenience.
Ken

Are the SK torque wrenches on your site now the latest generation? How do they differ from what you sold in the past? Any specials on new generation wrenches?
Old 10-17-2009, 02:38 PM   #30
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
This type are inexpensive on eBay. The dial is good, but there is a version with a second needle that shows max torque.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #31
lkstaack

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
This type are inexpensive on eBay. The dial is good, but there is a version with a second needle that shows max torque.
Cheap torque wrenches are dime a dozen at Harbor Freight too. What I'm looking for is a quality wrench at a reasonable price.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #32
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
Cheap torque wrenches are dime a dozen at Harbor Freight too. What I'm looking for is a quality wrench at a reasonable price.
I wouldn't buy a cheap one either. These are industrial quality made in the US in the 50s 60s and 70s. Totally non destructible, accurate and no electronic gadgetry.
To see what I mean check this listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Catep...motiveQ5fTools
Old 10-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #33
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

My Ride: E90
Quote:
Ken

Are the SK torque wrenches on your site now the latest generation? How do they differ from what you sold in the past? Any specials on new generation wrenches?
The tools now listed on our site are the latest versions. There are a couple primary differences:

1. Ergonomic nylon handle
2. Easier to read dial for torque settings
3. Includes a traceable certificate of calibration

Also, though not a document-able trait, they just feel nicer! I have the previous generation, and I'm having a hard time not keeping one for myself.

As for specials, I'm afraid that our margins are so unbelievably thin that there is no way we can discount them at the moment. Demand was ridiculously high for SK, and they only recently came out of a nation-wide back order. As a result, our supplier is not discounting them nearly as much as we'd like. In fact, I came very close to not listing these tools due to the razor thin profit margin. However, I've promised many patient Fanatics and customers that these were on the way, so they're listed... for now! I really hope pricing settles down as supply builds up across the country.

Ken

Bimmertools is under new ownership! Please welcome Taylor@bimmertools.com.
Click Here to say hi.
ken@bimmertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #34
vsyucla

My Ride: 3251
You guys are too anal about your torque settings. When was the last time you seen even a mechanic use one on your car at a Professional shop. The only time I've seen them use it is on the engine internal or at a Ferrari repair shop.

But for newbies I can understand why you would use one. They are not familar with what torque values are by feel and can be assure that they are doing it correctly.

Just get a cheap torque wrench. Your not doing it for a living.

Get one 3/8" drive and one 1/2" drive. A 1/4" is pretty useless.

The tolerances for these nuts are bolts are not +/_ 0.01 Nm. They are much higher than that.
vsyucla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #35
siava1018

My Ride: 03 330cic
i got a gear wrench one from my matco dealer came with a 3/8 mini ratchet and a pair ag gloves(i had him switch them for matco nitril ones) and the 1/2in torque wrench for $150. H how do you calibrate them? is there a precision gauge i can buy to test *** accurate the dial is?
siava1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:34 PM   #36
lkstaack

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsyucla View Post
The only time I've seen them use it is on the engine internal or at a Ferrari repair shop.
You should try taking your bimmer to other shops besides Pep Boys. All respectable mechanics use torque wrenches.

Quote:
Just get a cheap torque wrench. Your not doing it for a living.
What kind of awesome experience do you have to make such a recommendation?

Quote:
But for newbies I can understand why you would use one. They are not familar with what torque values are by feel and can be assure that they are doing it correctly.
I've probably been turning wrenches before you were born
Old 10-18-2009, 11:07 PM   #37
vsyucla

My Ride: 3251
Quote:
You should try taking your bimmer to other shops besides Pep Boys. All respectable mechanics use torque wrenches.
Do you really think your BMW dealer looks up every torque value, set the values for the torque wrench, switch sockets, put down their air wrench, and torque each bolt/nut accordingly? Do you realize how much time this would take for each bolt/nut.

I have several friends that own repair shops and works on very high end cars. Many of them have worked at dealerships before.

I had this concern when I first started working on my own cars and asked them about it.

Quote:
What kind of awesome experience do you have to make such a recommendation?
None. Just a weekend mechanic.

Quote:
I've probably been turning wrenches before you were born
I'm sure you have. But fixing covered wagons and Model T's might have different tolerances than todays cars.
vsyucla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:10 PM   #38
Define ///M3

My Ride: Dream 2 B Suprchrgd
i just wish i had a garage to work on my car!

AKA Huggy1989
"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there can be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."- WP
Define ///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:17 AM   #39
lkstaack

Quote:
Do you really think your BMW dealer looks up every torque value, set the values for the torque wrench, switch sockets, put down their air wrench, and torque each bolt/nut accordingly? Do you realize how much time this would take for each bolt/nut.

I have several friends that own repair shops and works on very high end cars. Many of them have worked at dealerships before.

I had this concern when I first started working on my own cars and asked them about it.

None. Just a weekend mechanic.

I'm sure you have. But fixing covered wagons and Model T's might have different tolerances than todays cars.
Good mechanics will use air tools to remove fasteners and to start them; they will, however, use a torque wrench to finish tightening key fasteners. I'm under no illusions that many mechanics don't do this; even factory mechanics (though I don't consider them the pinnicle of automotive excellence). The fact that many mechanics cut corners is a significant reason that I work on my own cars (for non-warranty issues).

I understand the temptation to use cheaper tools; I've been using a Harbor Freight torque wrench for years. Many people, including my wife, will not understand why I've purchased a new torque wrench when I already have a perfectly good one. However, after reading different threads here and internet posts concerning torque wrenchs, I've come to the conclusion that Bimmertools solution is a good compromise for piece of mind.

Oh, and by the way; torque specs were important when I learned how to turn a wrench in shop class, and probably even more important now. I remember torqueing the hub retainer on the 'ol Conestoga with a gaigantic dial wrench. I'd hook up a team of eight horses and that baby would fly.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:26 PM   #40
Black107

My Ride: 2002 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpass View Post
I got mine in 1/2" because I find that the best size for wheel lugs and getting the oil filter housing cap off, however 3/8" is going to be more universal I'd guess.
Whoa whoa whoa, please tell me you're not using your torque wrench to REMOVE fasteners...

OP: Look into CDI and Precision Instruments. They are the manufacturers for Snap-On click and split-beam type wrenches respectively. I have a Precision Instruments split-beam 3/8" thats accurate from 10-50ftlbs and a CDI ring type clicker in 1/2" thats accurate from 25-250ftlbs. The reason I got two and not one is because I dont trust the low end accuracy of wrenches that go from say 0 or 10ftlbs to 100, because if you read the details, they say the wrench is only accurate from 20%-100% of the rating. So basically if you buy a 10-100 wrench and want to tighten a bolt to 11 or 14ftlbs, the wrench will only measure accurately down to 20.

I got the PI new for $150 from an online store and the CDI for $40 in like-new condition on ebay.