E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #21
danielkspencer

My Ride: 2006 Mustang GT
I agree Totally with what you say above. . .
But with us building the boxes that are already tuned to a 330i or 330ci/M3 we take all the guess work out. They are perfectly matched right out of the box when they arrive. You don't need a friend who knows what he is doing to help all you need is to hook up the pos/ground/remote and splice into the speaker wires. Done. We've already done all the R and D and he gets a setup that will blow 3 times more costly setups out of the water. Even ones that claim they are "designed for the specific car"
We didn't intentionally start selling these but once people started hearing them and seeing the posts in a couple of places they started wanting them. Now it's on. lol Just sent one to Hawaii Today.
With our setup they don't even need a LOC or anything. The amp works perfect with the Balanced Diff signals. There's no Guesswork for the consumer.

BTW. I didn't take anything YOU said badly. Scotty was my target with my replies. He's giving "expert advice" telling this dude to spend 700 on a system that form what he is telling him is not even matching the sub with the correct recommend enclosure if he goes with the Diamond (look up the specs) he recommends and he'll have a system that costs more and doesn't sound nearly as good in his car for more money. That's BestBuy advice. Sure it's descent components but not what is best for his application. And the enclosure recommended is WRONG, Period, to get the most out of that sub.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #22
scottys209

My Ride: 02 330Ci
Sorry man but you have no clue what you are talking about... Amateur is tuning a setup to what somebody listens to?? Wow! That's actually the dumbest thing I've ever heard! Yes, if someone listens to a certain type of music, the system should definately be customized that way. You are obviously not educated on the subject, and are trying to push your product. BTW, you can run subs in different boxes, I know exactly what the specs on the custom Diamond Audio baffled vented box are, I've built them, but you can also run them in a sealed box, the output db's are lower, but you can actually use your trunk and the frequency response is greater with less emphasis on certain frequencies giving a much more acoustically accurate listening experience for a broader range of music. If you actually speak with Diamond Audio directly they will give you specs for sealed enclosures, you obviously jumped on the website for 30 seconds and don't really know from first hand experience dealing with Diamond Audio. You take the usual half-assed homeboy hookup shop approach that deals with people that want "dat slap" and don't take into account accuracy, sure vented boxed get "the most" volume from a sub, not necessarily "the most" accuracy. Yes, I do give expert advise as I am educated in acoustic engineering, and have worked in professional recording studios (no not basement pro-tools setups) with equipment such as euphonix mixing boards and such, and have been a professional installer.... You listen to your homeboy who is biased to something he built..... and something you have in your car, so you think it's the best. I haven't even recommended anything I personally have in my car and am biased to no specific product, just the fact that you are assuming that your setup will work for everyone, every time, and is the best with almost every genre of music, which is simply not true. If you look at really expensive home subs, when they are ported or vented the company will employ "active servo" technology to bring the driver back to dead center quickly because of the accuracy loss in running a ported or vented enclosure, they don't need to in sealed setups, which is why I recommended sealed enclosures because it will give the best response.... Unless you engineered a perfectly matched amplifier with active servo technology it simply is not for every type of music. Bring some kind of facts as to why yours is an "out of the box perfectly matched solution" or go home son!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkspencer View Post
I agree Totally with what you say above. . .
But with us building the boxes that are already tuned to a 330i or 330ci/M3 we take all the guess work out. They are perfectly matched right out of the box when they arrive. You don't need a friend who knows what he is doing to help all you need is to hook up the pos/ground/remote and splice into the speaker wires. Done. We've already done all the R and D and he gets a setup that will blow 3 times more costly setups out of the water. Even ones that claim they are "designed for the specific car"
We didn't intentionally start selling these but once people started hearing them and seeing the posts in a couple of places they started wanting them. Now it's on. lol Just sent one to Hawaii Today.
With our setup they don't even need a LOC or anything. The amp works perfect with the Balanced Diff signals. There's no Guesswork for the consumer.

BTW. I didn't take anything YOU said badly. Scotty was my target with my replies. He's giving "expert advice" telling this dude to spend 700 on a system that form what he is telling him is not even matching the sub with the correct recommend enclosure if he goes with the Diamond (look up the specs) he recommends and he'll have a system that costs more and doesn't sound nearly as good in his car for more money. That's BestBuy advice. Sure it's descent components but not what is best for his application. And the enclosure recommended is WRONG, Period, to get the most out of that sub.

Last edited by scottys209; 06-12-2009 at 05:35 PM.
scottys209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:58 PM   #23
danielkspencer

Ok, so the dumbest thing you've ever heard is that a system should accurately replicate the recorded sound and not be made to order to the type of music you listen to?????????
Any idiot can figure out that it would be better to have a system that will accurately reproduce the music just as it was recorded no matter what type of music it is vs a sound system that is custom made to play one type of music.

Do you go buy a TV and say I mostly watch love stories so don't give me something that plays action movies well?????

Really??? You are so full of yourself it's crazy. I just gave dude my opinion from the start and you started knocking me. So I knocked back. I'm not saying my system is the best. It's not the best, but it's pretty awesome for the money. If everyone including myself listened to most of you guys on here we'd spend hundreds of dollars more than we need to on crap that has no need.

EX: Everyone swears you have to have a LOC to convert the Balanced Diff signal on these cars. We still haven't found an amp that won't work with them. So theres 50+ dollars that wasn't necessary.

Dude wanted something cheap to help out his system. I didn't try to sell him one like mine. He asked me!!!!! And I believe for the money you can't get any better, PERIOD. It's already matched to his car because we have the same car!!!!! Have you metered a 330 with the setups you mentioned and taken into account all the aspects we did and come up with a designed system like we did. No, You just say throw one of these in a box about this big and hook one of these or one of these to it. Spend a little money you don't need to spend on one of these and you have a completely generic system that will work just as good in a prius as in a 330i and you've spent a couple hundred more on it.

I don't give a crap if we sell these boxes or not. People keep asking for them. We make about 50.00 of of them when you take into the shipping and everthing. He builds boxes all day long for competition teams and shipps them all over the country. Neither of us need the money or business, just trying to help people out that want great sound at a good price. YOU CANNOT GO INTO A STEREO SHOP AND SPEND THAT MUCH MONEY AND COME OUT WITH A SYSTEM THAT WILL TOUCH THIS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
That's all I'm saying.
Sorry I don't agree with the Best Buy Circut City method of "what kind of music do you listen to" "oh you need a____________"

So will a recording studio that records Jazz not work to record Country or Rock????

Do home stereo systems like you mentioned above require the consumer to tell the salesperson what type of Music/Movies he will be listening to in order to determine which ones to get. No, a good home entertainment system sounds good with anything you play in it. A good Car audio system does, too.

I know I don't have a SQ system in my car, but for what dude wants to spend he can't either. Why not get the best bang for the buck??????

You got your pantys in a wad and started saying this and that about my "boy" who has a room full of awards for not only his SPL but his SQL systems.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #24
scottys209

Quote:
My system Has super tight bass dude. It's not a a clunky SPL sounding system by any means. And I didn't mean it wouldn't play the tight bass in classical I was refering to the Crappy highs of the h/k speakers when I said that, btw.

Thinking back, asking what type of music someone listens to is about as ameteur as it gets. So, you're going to design dude an expensive system that only sounds good with one type of music. What if he likes rap and country or rock and Jazz or everything like me?????

The actual first thing to do is find the transfer function of the vehicle interior and design the enclosure to compensate the peak and troughs in the response. The type of music a person plays is actually less important than how accurate the signal form the head unit is. The bimmer box is designed to correspond with the resonances and losses and balance it out, as well as reach levels of sound pressure high enough to blend with the interiors no matter how much ambient noise there may be. and this puts my system in the middle of SPL and SQ for a range called SQL, a system that can play any media and play it at near reference levels of clarity and output. lol. My boy uses an RTA with the TermLab metering system and can accurately predict the output of a system to within 1dB average. He not only does car-audio Hi-Fi, but also Home theater HI-Fi. And he uses both computer based tech and in-field experience.

We could put it on the RTA and video a sweep or just show it's transient abilities if you want to!

We put a lot more thought into customizing it to the specific car that just saying "I like JL subs and this box is about the right size so it should rock in your car" Our setup is matched to every aspect of the application, period.

I think you're underestimating us because we don't have a showroom. He doesn't just build Loud SPL systems. And a True Bass speaker blows any JL sub on the market out of the water. No offense 98mustang!! JL rocks I'm just defending my point with scotty.
You said it was amateur to customize a setup, I said calling that amateur is the dumbest thing I have heard!
Old 06-12-2009, 06:14 PM   #25
scottys209

Soooo, by your way of thinking, recording studios do nothing to change the setup when different genres come in to record.... They do, sorry do burst your bubble. My point IS that a sealed enclosure is a better all around solution, and I backed that with reasoning.... There is no system that will play accurately no matter what you listen to. You keep talking about db's in the 330, which is pursuant to caring more about spl than accuracy, you still haven't brought anything that supports your arguement, and you still sound ignorant.... In all of my arguments I've included reasoning and explanations, your just getting mad and defending your setup... I'm sure your buddy has awards, but for SQL??? They don't rate "SQL" as it is technically a compromise between SQ, and SPL, those two are judged, but SQL is a middle ground with no Real judging basis... You have obviously never been to a real home audio shop, because, yes, they do ask what you will be using the system for. If you take your car to a performance shop, they will ask you what you are expecting, massive power, track only use, or daily driver weekend warrior setup, drag strip e/t, or maybe auto-x...... If you just dropped it off and said "make it fast" you probably won't be happy, same applies for audio, or anything else for that matter. My grandma doesn't need a nokia N97 as a cell phone, it does everything well, a one answer solution for everybody is not feasible, that's why speaker manufactures have different line-up's, car companies have different models, ect..... Wow man you should visit the doctor because you are delusional! Tv's, as you mentioned earlier, yes, I would buy a less expensive model with a different refresh rate if I only watched love flicks, whereas action, I would want 1080p and a high refresh rate for fast-paced scenes, thanks for an example that proves my point!

Quote:
Ok, so the dumbest thing you've ever heard is that a system should accurately replicate the recorded sound and not be made to order to the type of music you listen to?????????
Any idiot can figure out that it would be better to have a system that will accurately reproduce the music just as it was recorded no matter what type of music it is vs a sound system that is custom made to play one type of music.

Do you go buy a TV and say I mostly watch love stories so don't give me something that plays action movies well?????

Really??? You are so full of yourself it's crazy. I just gave dude my opinion from the start and you started knocking me. So I knocked back. I'm not saying my system is the best. It's not the best, but it's pretty awesome for the money. If everyone including myself listened to most of you guys on here we'd spend hundreds of dollars more than we need to on crap that has no need.

EX: Everyone swears you have to have a LOC to convert the Balanced Diff signal on these cars. We still haven't found an amp that won't work with them. So theres 50+ dollars that wasn't necessary.

Dude wanted something cheap to help out his system. I didn't try to sell him one like mine. He asked me!!!!! And I believe for the money you can't get any better, PERIOD. It's already matched to his car because we have the same car!!!!! Have you metered a 330 with the setups you mentioned and taken into account all the aspects we did and come up with a designed system like we did. No, You just say throw one of these in a box about this big and hook one of these or one of these to it. Spend a little money you don't need to spend on one of these and you have a completely generic system that will work just as good in a prius as in a 330i and you've spent a couple hundred more on it.

I don't give a crap if we sell these boxes or not. People keep asking for them. We make about 50.00 of of them when you take into the shipping and everthing. He builds boxes all day long for competition teams and shipps them all over the country. Neither of us need the money or business, just trying to help people out that want great sound at a good price. YOU CANNOT GO INTO A STEREO SHOP AND SPEND THAT MUCH MONEY AND COME OUT WITH A SYSTEM THAT WILL TOUCH THIS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
That's all I'm saying.
Sorry I don't agree with the Best Buy Circut City method of "what kind of music do you listen to" "oh you need a____________"

So will a recording studio that records Jazz not work to record Country or Rock????

Do home stereo systems like you mentioned above require the consumer to tell the salesperson what type of Music/Movies he will be listening to in order to determine which ones to get. No, a good home entertainment system sounds good with anything you play in it. A good Car audio system does, too.

I know I don't have a SQ system in my car, but for what dude wants to spend he can't either. Why not get the best bang for the buck??????

You got your pantys in a wad and started saying this and that about my "boy" who has a room full of awards for not only his SPL but his SQL systems.

Last edited by scottys209; 06-12-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #26
325CI2004

My Ride: 09 335I
Old 06-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #27
danielkspencer

I did say awards in SPL and SQL and I appologize I meand SPL and SQ Much like you meant "sorry to burst your bubble" instead of "Sorry do Burst your bubble" But anyway. I don't have to defend my system. I love it and I'm not out a bunch of money to have it. You're not throwing out any more, if even as many, hard facts in this argument as I am. For me to offer a solution to the guys car without even asking him what he listens to. . . What about you suggesting systems that you haven't matched to his application?????

Where is your Big Expertise comming into play. Is the stuff you recommended set up for his specific car????

Yeah, you mentioned some pretty good stuff, but didn't say anything about tuning the box to his cars needs. Airspace, resonance, etc. We build to the .00 cf of tolerance to perfectly match the sub to the enclosure. Not to mention tuning the box/port to the perfect hz to get the most out of the sub. You think you're going to get someone to do that for him at a stereo shop for how much????

BTW on the diamond I'm not going by looking on the website dude. I'm going by what we found out trying it in different enclosures and then testing the thing in 3 different vehicles. Your way works, but is far inferior to our end result. But you probably wouldn't know that because you probably don't even use any of the instruments we do to test the subs/applications/etc.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:21 PM   #28
danielkspencer

[QUOTE=scottys209;10119683]Daniel, not to pick on you or your reply, but your setup shows the cheap way for a person who only really cares about adding lots of bass, and not balancing the system

I Think this is what started this argument and got me set off to start with. . . . I think I have explained exactly how much we took into consideration in balancing the sub to the car and the factory system that would be used for the highs/mids.

Again I say, dude didn't want a 5000.00 solution

And for the money I challenge you to put together a better system, that IS more matched to the application and that doesn't require gutting the factory speakers/amp which would cost too much anyway for what dude wants to spend.

And only and Idiot would buy a TV that has less resolution because he watches only love stories. No that doesn't prove your point unless you're an Idiot.
And you change the settings on the board of a recording studio, just like you would the settings of your car's eq for different music but you don't change the entire setup. Just like at a concert with different types of musicians on one stage you don't have to stop the show and switch out to different speakers between acts. And I was in the Music industry long enough to know that.

Thanks

Last edited by danielkspencer; 06-12-2009 at 08:47 PM.
danielkspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #29
danielkspencer

Oh, let me address your analogy of the making a car faster crap. Yeah, you don't just drop a car off and say make it faster. But what about adding mods like intake and exhaust that just gives free HP. They are the cheapest and most bang for the buck. And guess what. . . Everybody does it first before they do anything else. So adding a filter/intake or exhaust is like adding a good matched sub/enclosure. It's a good first step and it's cheap if you let the right guys do it. and it's not something that you're going to say "hey, I don't like this kind of Horsepower increase"

You can always go and add interior speakers if you want to improve the mids/highs. Our sub is going to be loud enough to keep up if you do and can be cut back to match what the car has stock if you don't.

But it's a great first step. Like that first step you should take. . . .

Oh since you're such a pro and Asked him what type of music he listens to do you even know what the response of the speakers you recommended are once they are in a generic box and do you know the specs of his car to know which ones he should go with to match the ambien levels, the cars resonance, etc.

Just curious, if you ask him the magic question that makes me an idiot for not asking, how does that lead you to his choice. Just the difference between ported or sealed or 12 vs 8s. Wow, thats high tech. Glad you asked him that. That is the least thing you need to know to design a system for a car. There are sooooo many more things to take into consideration than what music he likes, dude.
A GOOD SYSTEM PLAYS EVERY TYPE OF MUSIC JUST AS IT WAS RECORDED, so it doesn't matter what music you choose to listen to that day.

Last edited by danielkspencer; 06-12-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #30
scottys209

Your right, I don't use lots of meters and computers when I put a system together, and, I honestly doubt you did either. Your really going to sit there and say you put hours and hours of R&D with tons of information gathered, compiled, and interpreted to tune an enclosure for use with a car that has a factory stereo, and a factory HU, and the best solution you came up with for clarity and accuracy costs about $400???

Dude, don't try and mask not knowing that there aren't SQL competitions as a type-o, you've said SQL competitions quite a few times, but I'm glad you are reaching for grammar to bash on, that is pretty desperate!

Also, you contradict yourself quite a bit..... First you say subs need to be matched "to get the most out" to a box tuned specifically for that sub, now, you talk about the box being matched perfectly to the car.... Well which one did you do bro? And how exactly do you tune a box for both?... Anyone who builds enclosures knows first and foremost you build the cabinet for the driver. You can't go to monitor audio for your home speakers and say, great, your gold series looks like a winner for me, just tune the enclosures for my house, if you want to see the most blank look of someone ever, do that! You greatly criticize my suggestion on a D6 in a sealed box as not getting bang for your buck, and it's the totally wrong setup for that sub, blah blah blah.....but the difference between the recommended vented and a sealed peaks at an 8db difference at 68hz over the sealed, however, there is a negative difference of 6hz at 80hz, the the db level octave per octave is actually tighter in terms of variance through the entire frequency range of the sub in a sealed box.... Furthermore, the sealed enclosure provides a quicker response in octave changes in music, therefore it matches music with more accuracy by having less delay between what comes from you mids and highs, and what the sub is doing!

Last but not least, you say that I would be an idiot by choosing a TV with a lower refresh rate if I don't need it for action films, to save money since I will never use the TV for it's full advantage?!?!?!?! This thread was also about value, which my point is that you keep pushing your product, as an end all solution for every music and situation, that simply can not be true at any price point! I gave a solution within what the op posted as his budget from about 500-1K. I also gave him a solution that, say later down the line, he could build off of as a foundation, which is way better "value" as he doesn't have to buy another sub and amp. I don't work with **** that cheap, $400 for a custom box, sub, and amp?? I don't know what garbage amp you are running, but unless they are refurbs, a good D-Class Monoblock shouldn't be that cheap... Must be a "fugigawa with sony guts" lol. A whole amp, sub, and "tuned box" for $400, something just not quite right about that, for the amp and sub driver itself. It scares the **** out of me that people are out there trying to push **** that cheap, and say it's "tuned to the car's cabin perfectly" and yadda yadda yadda, because some people believe it and get sucked into buying some flea market components with a decent box. It's obvious that you are as dumb as your are butt-hurt that I "knocked you" for being ignorant and not finding out the details of the application. I'm taking a dead assumption HOPING it is a class-D amp, as they are more efficient. If you are using an A/B amp on a sub, then you aren't running an efficient setup, the amp will get hotter, it is going to put more stress on your charging system, and you will have more problems with the charging system and battery because of it, so hopefully it is a Class-D, but then the question of why that class-D amp is so cheap comes up again!

[QUOTE=danielkspencer;10126333]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottys209 View Post
Daniel, not to pick on you or your reply, but your setup shows the cheap way for a person who only really cares about adding lots of bass, and not balancing the system

I Think this is what started this argument and got me set off to start with. . . . I think I have explained exactly how much we took into consideration in balancing the sub to the car and the factory system that would be used for the highs/mids.

Again I say, dude didn't want a 5000.00 solution

And for the money I challenge you to put together a better system, that IS more matched to the application and that doesn't require gutting the factory speakers/amp which would cost too much anyway for what dude wants to spend.

And only and Idiot would buy a TV that has less resolution because he watches only love stories. No that doesn't prove your point unless you're an Idiot.

Thanks
Old 06-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #31
scottys209

The most bang for your buck is not intake and exhaust... A good program from someone who knows how to do it is.... Intake and exhaust give a great illusion by making the car sound racier, the actual difference you will see will be between 5 and 15hp at the wheels, and for good setups on both together your looking at $700-$1000 for the combination, if you use quality products. Truely, there are people who wouldn't like certain HP increase parts because of the downsides, intake and exahust for example, exhaust decreases back-pressure, so you feel it up top of the RPM range, but suffer a loss at the bottom end, which is why you can tune exhaust systems per application for what people want by changing pipe diameters, see a trend here? That's why you find out what people are looking for. Some people hate turbo's because of turbo lag... ect.

Quote:
Oh, let me address your analogy of the making a car faster crap. Yeah, you don't just drop a car off and say make it faster. But what about adding mods like intake and exhaust that just gives free HP. They are the cheapest and most bang for the buck. And guess what. . . Everybody does it first before they do anything else. So adding a filter/intake or exhaust is like adding a good matched sub/enclosure. It's a good first step and it's cheap if you let the right guys do it. and it's not something that you're going to say "hey, I don't like this kind of Horsepower increase"

You can always go and add interior speakers if you want to improve the mids/highs. Our sub is going to be loud enough to keep up if you do and can be cut back to match what the car has stock if you don't.

But it's a great first step. Like that first step you should take. . . .

Oh since you're such a pro and Asked him what type of music he listens to do you even know what the response of the speakers you recommended are once they are in a generic box and do you know the specs of his car to know which ones he should go with to match the ambien levels, the cars resonance, etc.

Just curious, if you ask him the magic question that makes me an idiot for not asking, how does that lead you to his choice. Just the difference between ported or sealed or 12 vs 8s. Wow, thats high tech. Glad you asked him that. That is the least thing you need to know to design a system for a car. There are sooooo many more things to take into consideration than what music he likes, dude.
A GOOD SYSTEM PLAYS EVERY TYPE OF MUSIC JUST AS IT WAS RECORDED, so it doesn't matter what music you choose to listen to that day.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:55 PM   #32
danielkspencer

Yes we did all the R and D, and the best solution for the amount of money I wanted to spend was what we came up with.
Actually, since I kept the factory system I really did more on the bass than I even need to for 400.00, smart ass. But I wanted to have enough bass to cover it if I wanted to change my interiors to something better.
Why wouldn't we use all the equipment on my car. If you best friend uses this stuff every day to test and build systems for comps and we had nothing to do but pull it in and start testing, wouldn't you when it's just sitting right there for the using?? If you could figure out what the data meant, anyway.

Oh my God dude. I didn't contradict myself at all. We matched the car the sub and the box. We tuned the box to make it produce the sound using the sub we chose to match the car we were putting it in. My God is that too science fiction for a professional like you to understand???????? We used the net volume of the box to match the sub, then tuned the box to correspond to the transfer function of the cabin of the 330

Wait Wait Wait. You're telling me you cannot tune a sub box differently, that it has to be tuned only one way for whatever speaker you choose. That's what you said. Ok, I don't even need to carry on this conversation, dude. Because anyone reading this that has ever done any stereo work knows that what you said is crazy. Just changing the port size and shape alone changes the tuning of the box even if the cf of the box is right for the sub. I think you have shown your knowledge base enough.

Last edited by danielkspencer; 06-12-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #33
98mustangguy

My Ride: 04-325i, 00-s4
Ok, this thread has gotten a lil bit side tracked into a grudge match. Lets all take a deep breath and let the OP get back into here before this gets ugly in here please. Ive given my opinion now im gonna grab my pocorn as well. BTW, if either of you guys are IASCA members, soundstream has a giveaway going on for the re introduction of their reference line amps. Which of course(personal opinion) i would very highly reccomend for a mid/high amp line for the OP to look at for an affordable, accurate, comp ready style amp if they are builing them as well as their old school ones.
98mustangguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:09 PM   #34
scottys209

Exactly how did you match it to the car and the sub is what I'm getting at? I really think your idea of sq and my idea of sq must be VASTLY different because that is horribly under-priced for quality components, and reaks of the flea market. It has nothing to do with Sci-Fi, everything to do with you saying things like "it'll play every kind of music as it was recorded" when talking about a factory H/K with your little magic package sub and amp setup, automobiles do not come close having the acoustics necessary to set the stage for imaging necessary to "play every kind of music as it was recorded" and for that reason aren't a good base to start with. But to say that ANY speaker can do that, is completely wrong, and shows your lack of knowledge for acoustics.

Quote:
Yes we did all the R and D, and the best solution for the amount of money I wanted to spend was what we came up with.
Actually, since I kept the factory system I really did more on the bass than I even need to for 400.00, smart ass. But I wanted to have enough bass to cover it if I wanted to change my interiors to something better.
Why wouldn't we use all the equipment on my car. If you best friend uses this stuff every day to test and build systems for comps and we had nothing to do but pull it in and start testing, wouldn't you when it's just sitting right there for the using?? If you could figure out what the data meant, anyway.

Oh my God dude. I didn't contradict myself at all. We matched the car the sub and the box. We tuned the box to make it produce the sound using the sub we chose to match the car we were putting it in. My God is that too science fiction for a professional like you to understand????????

Wait Wait Wait. You're telling me you cannot tune a sub box differently, that it has to be tuned only one way for whatever speaker you choose. That's what you said. Ok, I don't even need to carry on this conversation, dude. Because anyone reading this that has ever done any stereo work knows that what you said is crazy. Just changing the port size and shape alone changes the tuning of the box even if the cf of the box is right for the sub. I think you have shown your knowledge base enough.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #35
danielkspencer

I've come to the conclusion that you are only doing this to piss me off and that no one is this stupid that has a background in acoustics. So you are either an idiot or a liar. And either way I'm done with this crap. Piss off. Get to sleep you have a busy day at Best Buy tomorrow.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:15 PM   #36
danielkspencer

I just told you that, what you want a detailed lesson, My boy does car audio clinics for MECA if you want me to sign you up.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:17 PM   #37
scottys209

Dude, I'm with ya! I just have conviction, and I love acoustics.... I really get annoyed when people like this dude heard some stuff from a "homeboy" who probably told him all of this BS to make it sound like he was getting a "super dope boy fresh" setup, and the kid heard a few reference points for car audio now he thinks he's an expert and knows more than people who have actually been in the field, first hand, or just a sound enthusiast who has done the all-nighters, blood, sweat, and tears to build great systems. I know you know what's up, and I've seen you ask the same kinds of questions in other threads, so it's all gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98mustangguy View Post
Ok, this thread has gotten a lil bit side tracked into a grudge match. Lets all take a deep breath and let the OP get back into here before this gets ugly in here please. Ive given my opinion now im gonna grab my pocorn as well. BTW, if either of you guys are IASCA members, soundstream has a giveaway going on for the re introduction of their reference line amps. Which of course(personal opinion) i would very highly reccomend for a mid/high amp line for the OP to look at for an affordable, accurate, comp ready style amp if they are builing them as well as their old school ones.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #38
danielkspencer

SQ is flat response from 20hz - 20k hz through the audible bandwidth.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:23 PM   #39
325CI2004

My Ride: 09 335I
FWIW, i had a DA D6 10 in my truck. DA makes good equipment.

I wont get into this argument, but i see it as tuning a box/sub to a car completely negates everything about SQ. And for what its worth, hitting 135 with a 10 isnt very impressive.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #40
scottys209

Whatev man! Changing anything changes everything, your "lesson" on changing port sizes, changes the tuning of the box to the sub, decreasing the match for the sub, increasing it to match the car, which is why I said you can't perfectly match both! I think if you are getting this kind of knowledge from your friend, he probably doesn't teach anything, except maybe 17 year old "installers" in the back of a crappy audio shop in the bad part of town. I'm not doing this to "piss you off" it's just that you are soooooo wrong I can't let it go, you run some cheap ass **** you are trying to peddle on a forum, to people who have great cars and deserve a quality setup. I don't work at best buy man, and you probably use that company alot as an example because your pissed that they wouldn't hire your dumb ass.

Peace, hope you enjoy your super acoustically tuned, matched, plays everything perfectly $400 setup

Oh, and I think you meant to say that your buddy teaches classes for MECP, not MECA (sounds like an '80's latin disco)

Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that you are only doing this to piss me off and that no one is this stupid that has a background in acoustics. So you are either an idiot or a liar. And either way I'm done with this crap. Piss off. Get to sleep you have a busy day at Best Buy tomorrow.

Last edited by scottys209; 06-12-2009 at 10:36 PM.