E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
gupta_amit

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Front brake sensor light...

My front brake light indicator on the dashboard came on some time back. During a visit to the dealer they said that the front brake sensor cable was spliced (but they would not jut patch it up, had to be replaced). So, today I removed the front left wheel and noticed the spliced cable. There were 2 (copper?) strands inside the cable but they were not separated in anyway.

So, I simply removed the insulation on both ends and twisted them together tight and put some electric tape around it to seal it. However, upon restarting the car, the brake light indicator on the dash did not go away. My brakes are only 6 months old, so Im pretty sure its not the state of the brake pad/rotors.

Any ideas what maybe causing the brake light to come on and how to get rid of it?

I also noted that there is a junction box behind the wheel, inside which there are 2 sensors. However, when I removed the right side wheel, the junction box on that side only had one sensor inside itis that by design?
gupta_amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:09 AM   #2
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
I'm not sure if your jerry-rig will work, but given the fact that the sensor is working properly you will need to reset it as with any brake sensor change. To do this put the key in the ignition and turn it to position 2 and let the car sit with all the dash lights illuminated. Given that the sensor is still working properly it SHOULD cause the light to go out after about 1 minute.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:09 AM   #3
gupta_amit

Ok, I'll give that a shot in the morning

Thanks
Old 06-11-2009, 02:26 AM   #4
D4rkkn1ght

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_amit View Post
I also noted that there is a junction box behind the wheel, inside which there are 2 sensors. However, when I removed the right side wheel, the junction box on that side only had one sensor inside itis that by design?
Just to answer this, the 2 sensors are the brake pad sensor and the ABS sensor. The brake pad sensors are only on the driverside front and the passenger side rear. ABS sensors on all 4 ends though.
D4rkkn1ght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:18 AM   #5
skang330

My Ride: 2005 E46 330ci
Send a message via AIM to skang330
If that doesn't work, just get a new sensor. I think its like 15 bucks or so from the dealer.
skang330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
gupta_amit

Thanks all. I have another question.

When I removed the front right side wheel, I noticed that there was a wire/cable with a round plastic thing (2 inches in diameter) attached to it via a connector, that was simply dangling behind the wheel area. I traced the wire and it was originating from the front bumper side and went somewhere up there. It's kind hard to explain this, so I'm posting some pocs of how it looked (dangling) and then some close-ups with the plastic thing removed.

Any idea what this thing is and where it should really be?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Old 06-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
rabbitw00t

My Ride: 99 328i
lol owned? did some rats get under your car and go to town?
rabbitw00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
nathancarter

My Ride: 02 330i
That's the external temperature sensor for the washer fluid heater (as opposed to the external temperature sensor for the OBC and HVAC, which is in the left front). It's supposed to be clipped into the lower/horizontal part of your wheel well liner, but it looks like your wheel well liner was torn out when the previous owner ran over that hobo - probably the same incident that damaged the brake pad wear sensor. No idea why the temperature sensor is dangling out the brake duct. The wiring shouldn't be visible at all; it's all supposed to be contained and protected in the space between the wheel well liner and the bumper.

A proper repair will probably entail a new wheel well liner. For now, I'd probably just tuck it inside the wheel well liner. Remove the wheel well liner, make sure the brake duct is lined up properly, and maybe tape the wire to the inside of the (damaged) wheel well liner. It's also probably a good idea to jerry-rig some plastic or duct tape or something to cover the big torn-out hole in your wheel well liner, to keep excess water and mud and grime from getting up inside the bumper where your fog lights live.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote