E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 04:03 AM   #1
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
100 Octane Gas

There's some 100 octane gas at a 76 station near my friend's house. At $9 a gallon he put a few gallons in and said it was noticeably faster (e36 M3).

Will my car benefit at all from it or not? It would just be to try a little...

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:18 AM   #2
Acarder

My Ride: 69' M3
Probably not. He has a high compression ratio so he can benefit from higher octane gas, unless you have a FI'ed M52tu/M54, 91-93 should be the most you put in. It's like if you have a car made to run on 87 and you put 93 in nothing changes.

It might make your car run a little better i.e. whatever gas you have in now might not be fully reaching the cars potential but thats a trade off you make for the increased price and 91 is more then reasonable. Even if you did put it in, the car would only run like it was on the top usable fuel (for example, 95) so you'd be wasting a lot of money. From memory we have a 10.2:1 compression ratio and the E36 M3 has a 11.2:1, so it can harness a higher octane.

Last edited by Acarder; 06-11-2009 at 04:24 AM.
Acarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
TX_Bullet

My Ride: 2001 325Xi
From my experience I found it will make a slight difference. When running a higher octane like 100 really what happens is that the fuel combust more rapidly and hotter creating a slight bit of HP. My father and I have a oval race car that runs 112.

One day at the track I figured I'd put a splash of 105 Sunoco race fuel in my car and I must say she was running a bit more SPIRITED!!!!!

You have to be careful running high.....I'm mean really high octane because you can combust the fuel to HOT
Number of Destroyed Newb Destroyers- 1
The Mods

Power Flex FCAB
Much more coming.....
TX_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
Renboy

My Ride: 04 330Ci '08 Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Bullet View Post
From my experience I found it will make a slight difference. When running a higher octane like 100 really what happens is that the fuel combust more rapidly and hotter creating a slight bit of HP. My father and I have a oval race car that runs 112.

One day at the track I figured I'd put a splash of 105 Sunoco race fuel in my car and I must say she was running a bit more SPIRITED!!!!!

You have to be careful running high.....I'm mean really high octane because you can combust the fuel to HOT
Wrong. Completely wrong. High octane burns SLOWER and as a result COLDER than low octane.

OP, it won't do a thing. Unless it's leaded, then it'll just plug your cats in a couple of minutes.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:34 AM   #5
Acarder

My Ride: 69' M3
Higher octane fuel just takes more energy to detonate, so when you have a high compression engine (ie, S52/S54) using a higher octane means that the fuel wont prematurely detonate due to the higher compression and cause the engine to "knock" while the piston is going down.

Last edited by Acarder; 06-11-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Acarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:37 AM   #6
altink

My Ride: 99 328i
From wat i remember about high octane is the higher the engine compression more octane it needs, so it doesn't pre-detonate, like turbos, chargers and high compression race or sport cars, just my 2 cent
altink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:39 AM   #7
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
My 325 ran better on Shell V-Power Racing 100 RON but no longer available. 98 RON the best available now unfortunately.
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:50 AM   #8
enelson325

My Ride: 2002 325i
you can def feel the difference in the performance of the car
enelson325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:24 AM   #9
Freeflow

My Ride: 330zhp ; E30/325is
If you get a shark injector or some kind of performance software it states it allows you to benefit from changes in octane 87-93 pump fuels... I don't see why this software wouldn't help you benefit from race fuel...
Freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #10
matterhorn

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acarder View Post
using a higher octane means that the fuel wont prematurely detonate due to the higher compression and cause the engine to "knock" while the piston is going down.
Engine knock is premature ignition on the UP stroke of the engine otherwise known as the compression stroke...
matterhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:30 AM   #11
matterhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeflow View Post
If you get a shark injector or some kind of performance software it states it allows you to benefit from changes in octane 87-93 pump fuels... I don't see why this software wouldn't help you benefit from race fuel...
unless you are increasing the compression ratio of the engine, i.e. milling the head, new pistons, supercharger, or turbo charger, etc. there is absolutely NOOO benefit to using higher octane fuels... you'd be wasting money. Software does not increase compression.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:37 AM   #12
nathancarter

My Ride: 02 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by matterhorn View Post
unless you are increasing the compression ratio of the engine, i.e. milling the head, new pistons, supercharger, or turbo charger, etc. there is absolutely NOOO benefit to using higher octane fuels... you'd be wasting money. Software does not increase compression.
To my understanding, changing the valve timing - which can be accomplished through the VANOS, which is controlled by software - CAN change the compression. Same way the compression is backed off a bit when the anti-knock sensors start to detect knock.

Can't believe I'm replying to an octane thread.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #13
matterhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
To my understanding, changing the valve timing - which can be accomplished through the VANOS, which is controlled by software - CAN change the compression. Same way the compression is backed off a bit when the anti-knock sensors start to detect knock.

THAT I didn't know - most engines that I'm accustomed to working with use Ignition Timing to control knock, not compression ... with that said, I REALLY doubt software could change valve timing so much that you'd need anything higher than 91-92 octance ... okay I'm done ...
Old 06-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #14
todd92

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP
Quote:

LOL. Valve timing has nothing to do with compression. Knock sensors retard ignition timing, they cannot and do not change compression.
todd92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #15
SteveX82

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:

Valve timing is varied with RPM to assist with cylinder filling (and therefore cylinder pressures) and broaden the peak of the torque curve, as cylinder heads have different airflow characteristics as RPM (and therefore air velocity) changes. It has nothing to do with compression ratio.

Similarly, the knock sensors are used to retard ignition timing (and therefore the timing of the increase in cylinder pressures due to combustion) and have nothing to do with compression ratio.

Matterhorn's point remains that unless you are doing something to either a) increase cylinder pressures or b) advance the timing of said cylinder pressures beyond what BMW has designed, you will not benefit from using fuel that is ultimately less prone to ignition than 91 octane.
SteveX82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #16
nathancarter

My Ride: 02 330i
Thanks for the clarification about the ignition timing, though it doesn't really make sense. If "knocking" happens when the fuel detonates before the spark, how does retarding the spark prevent knocking? Can't find a clear answer with searching; everything that I find just says that the software "changes the running conditions" to prevent knock - how vague.

Also, though the compression ratio doesn't change, the "cylinder pressure" can change if you change the valve timing - pardon my semantics in the previous post, perhaps I should have used the words "cylinder pressure" instead of the word "compression" which I didn't mean to be the same as "compression ratio." So, then, how does the Shark injector - widely regarded to be good and reliable software - claim to improve power and fuel economy with the use of higher-octane fuel? It changes the valve timing to increase cylinder pressure, correct?

Last edited by nathancarter; 06-11-2009 at 11:05 AM.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:17 AM   #17
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Haha, yes I understand how octane works, and that our cars adapt to the type of fuel we put in using sensors. You're supposed to use 91 or higher, but 87 works and it just changes the timing. I thought maybe it would be able to advance the timing (more so than with 91) and maybe put out a little more power.

Probably little to no difference practically though...

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #18
SteveX82

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
If "knocking" happens when the fuel detonates before the spark, how does retarding the spark prevent knocking? ........

So, then, how does the Shark injector - widely regarded to be good and reliable software - claim to improve power and fuel economy with the use of higher-octane fuel? It changes the valve timing to increase cylinder pressure, correct?
"Knocking" happens when you have too much ignition advance and the spark plug ignites the a/f mixture before the piston has reached TDC and begins traveling downwards. "Pre-detonation", on the other hand, occurs when the mixture auto-ignites (ie, without a purposeful ignition source) due to hot spots on the cylinder head, lean a/f mixtures, or the heat generated by compression.

I'm not familiar with the shark injector, but it's much more likely that it advances ignition timing instead of cam timing.
SteveX82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #19
Bondga

My Ride: 328Ci
Retarding ignition timing stops detonation becasue of when it ignites the fuel. As gasoline is compressed it becomes more easily ignitable and under enough pressure it will ignite on it's own (this is becasue of the heat caused when it is compressed). Because of the velocity that the piston moves at, your timing is ALWAYS advanced of TDC. The spark is fired well before (compared to the speed of the piston) the piston ever reaches the top. As the combustability of the fuel increases it takes less spark and less time to ignite it, therefore the spark needs to be released at a later time so that it will iginte at TDC.

Increasing your Octane past it's recomended level, without any modifications to the ignition system, can actually decrease performance. If the combustability of the fuel is to low it will ignite after TDC thus wasting power.

Considering your engine runs only about a 15-25% percent efficientcy, I wouldn't figit with it if you don't know what your doing. (A.K.A. adding unrecomended fuel)
Old 06-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #20
Bondga

My Ride: 328Ci
One of the strokes is the compression stroke, where the engine compresses a cylinder-full of air and gas into a much smaller volume before igniting it with a spark plug. The amount of compression is called the compression ratio of the engine. A typical engine might have a compression ratio of 8-to-1. (See How Car Engines Work for details.)

The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.

The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher horsepower rating for a given engine weight -- that is what makes the engine "high performance." The disadvantage is that the gasoline for your engine costs more.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/gasoline4.htm