E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #241
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
No I meant what solly was referring to, but after reading your guys responses I'm definitely overestimating the difference. A couple seconds may add up over time, but with the less sets you are correct. Splitting hairs is my conclusion! Was curious anyways... I did more reading on TUT and heavy lifting for strength, and considering my goals are to add size over strength at the moment... maximizing TUT is what I have to do.

I also realize that I don't have a problem doing tons of sets, but where I start to want to go home from gym is when I'm finished an exercise and realize I still have 4 more exercises to do... regardless of sets.

So I think for me minimizing exercises and increasing sets is the way to go
this is what I've been doing and it's been fun so far. Only finishing week 4 tonight but I do feel like my muscles are getting more of a workout since the time under tension probably doubled.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #242
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Quote:
No I meant what solly was referring to, but after reading your guys responses I'm definitely overestimating the difference. A couple seconds may add up over time, but with the less sets you are correct. Splitting hairs is my conclusion! Was curious anyways... I did more reading on TUT and heavy lifting for strength, and considering my goals are to add size over strength at the moment... maximizing TUT is what I have to do.

I also realize that I don't have a problem doing tons of sets, but where I start to want to go home from gym is when I'm finished an exercise and realize I still have 4 more exercises to do... regardless of sets.

So I think for me minimizing exercises and increasing sets is the way to go
Oh okay. Just remember.....technique, technique, technique. If you're benching "with your arms", you're doing it wrong. If you're squatting "with your knees", you're doing it wrong. If you're dead lifting "with your lower back", you're doing it wrong. Etc...

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-07-2013 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360267593
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #243
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
One of my strengths is definitely my muscle/mind connection (I was able to figure it out early). I've finally gotten 100% comfortable with my form too (Deadlifts were the last to join).

Care to critique my planned bench workout for TUT?

This is last weeks (I'm going up in weight)

Bench Press

warmup
45 x 5
95 x 5
115 x 5

workset
170 x 5
160 x 5
150 x 6

Incline Press
135 x 4
115 x 6
100 x 10 (had even more in me... I'll be keeping weight around the 120-135 region)

Dips
0 x 20
0 x 10

Replacing dips with pushups for a burnout, I'll do as many as I can for 2 sets.

Maybe add in a 135 x however many i get set or two at the end of bench?

Last edited by dabears; 02-07-2013 at 03:34 PM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #244
DonaldE

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Do you know what caused it directly? I've tweaked my lower back before doing deadlifts (my form is 200% better now) and the scare of a hernia is always there as I continuously move up in weight.

Hopefully you stick around the H&F forum Donald, you know your stuff / have the results.
Thanks man.
No, I don't know what caused it. It was a Spigelian Hernia so it was a defect that I could have had from birth.
Not your traditional hernia, which has it's good and bads. Recovery is a bitch though.
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #245
M3Inline6

Quote:
One of my strengths is definitely my muscle/mind connection (I was able to figure it out early). I've finally gotten 100% comfortable with my form too (Deadlifts were the last to join).

Bench Press

warmup
45 x 5
95 x 5
115 x 5

workset
170 x 5
160 x 5
150 x 6

Incline Press
135 x 4
115 x 6
100 x 10 (had even more in me... I'll be keeping weight around the 120-135 region)

Dips
0 x 20
0 x 10

We could critique the workouts until we're blue in the face (..and I'm sure my approach is different than Donald's whose will be different than Dave's, whose will be different than....), but....

I'd drop the warm-up sets down from 3 to 2, increase the reps for those 2 sets to 10 or 12 and keep the weight the same. I'd perform 4 moderate rep work sets in the 10-rep range and 1 heavy set in the 2-3 rep range (..usually in the middle of my 4 work sets; see example below of a 50 rep scheme I did a few weeks ago after heavy dead lifts) for a total of 5 sets with 40+ total reps. For incline I'd perform 4 sets of 125 x 8 to 10.

Warm-up: 135 lbs. (..2 x 10)

Work sets:

225 lbs. (..2 x 10)
355 lbs. (..1 x 2)
275 lbs. (..1 x 8)
225 lbs (..2 x 10)

...then I moved to incline dumbbells:

70 lbs. (4 x 8-10)

...and then cable flies

...then weighted pull-ups, yada, yada...

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-07-2013 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360271235
Old 02-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #246
DylloS

Quote:

Bench Press

warmup
45 x 5
95 x 5
115 x 5

workset
170 x 5
160 x 5
150 x 6

Incline Press
135 x 4
115 x 6

Dips
0 x 20
0 x 10

Cant you do another burn out set? Or maybe some negatives at the end. That definitely puts a lot of time under tension.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #247
DonaldE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I think you may be over estimating the time on the heavy lifts. I know I've rarely ever seen anyone take 8-10 seconds for a single rep. That's almost a minute of benching at 5 reps. I know 8 seconds doesnt sound like a lot but I just counted in my head and it seems like there is no way my regular heavy sets are that long. If they were they'd have to be negatives. It is slower but it's not nearly that slow. But I do see what you're saying. It may be similar in terms of TUT.

This is my max Press and it's still only 2.5-3 seconds long.

Same as my front squat

If these took me 8 seconds I'd definitely fail.
Those are incredibly odd lifts to do 1RM with
Old 02-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #248
DonaldE

Quote:

Bench Press

warmup
45 x 5
95 x 5
115 x 5

workset
170 x 5
160 x 5
150 x 6

Incline Press
135 x 4
115 x 6

Dips
0 x 20
0 x 10

Is this your entire workout?
There needs to be some sort of fly movement
And I personally always start with incline in order to tire it out prior to flat bench. That's a personal preference as I do not like working sets of 315 and 365; However I do do them sometimes when I have a workout partner.
So, overall I would add some sort of fly movement whether it be cable or dumbell and I would also start with incline movements in order to build a better shelf
Old 02-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #249
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldE View Post
I do 1RM all versions of the squats that I perform. What are you squatting right now Don? If I'm over the 400 range, I know you are.

Quote:
Is this your entire workout?
There needs to be some sort of fly movement
And I personally always start with incline in order to tire it out prior to flat bench. That's a personal preference as I do not like working sets of 315 and 365; However I do do them sometimes when I have a workout partner.
So, overall I would add some sort of fly movement whether it be cable or dumbell and I would also start with incline movements in order to build a better shelf

Another good example to work with dabears. Prime example of different approaches depending on goals. Either way, you can't go wrong with either suggestion. Both of us look the part, we just look the part differently.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-08-2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360356141
Old 02-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #250
DylloS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I do 1RM all versions of the squats that I perform. What are you squatting right now Don? If I'm over the 400 range, I know you are.
why is it odd? Maybe I'm missing something but if I want to know how much I can possibly lift with all lifts why wouldn't I do everything.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-08-2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360356158
Old 02-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #251
DonaldE

That's pretty cool
I actually quit doing any heavy leg movement as my legs severely outgrew the rest of my body very quickly
I had 28' legs pre-contest diet which was about 26ish on stage. So I don't really squat anymore. I've moved in excess 495 but don't really like it cuz my squat stance is VERY narrow and my ass to calve version of squatting is very hard on my knees
But I could do it I suppose if need be
I do regularly Straight Leg Deadlift 315 though. Just cuz I love a good hammy hang
Old 02-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #252
M3Inline6

Quote:
why is it odd? Maybe I'm missing something but if I want to know how much I can possibly lift with all lifts why wouldn't I do everything.
It's just not a lift that is traditionally maxed for one-rep.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #253
DonaldE

Quote:
Just a very dangerous move on your joints.
Knowing how much you can lift is cool right up until you can't ever do it again because you've blown out your should or torn your ACL/MCL from deep heavy squats.
1RM's should be few and far between and VERY carefully executed.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #254
DylloS

Quote:
It's just not a lift that is traditionally maxed for one-rep.
Traditionally all people care about is their bench press number to brag to friends. Maybe I'm crazy lol. I see nothing wrong with maxing a very popular lift.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #255
dabears

Quote:
We could critique the workouts until we're blue in the face (..and I'm sure my approach is different than Donald's whose will be different than Dave's, whose will be different than....), but....

I'd drop the warm-up sets down from 3 to 2, increase the reps for those 2 sets to 10 or 12 and keep the weight the same. I'd perform 4 moderate rep work sets in the 10-rep range and 1 heavy set in the 2-3 rep range for a total of 5 sets with 40+ total reps. For incline I'd perform 4 sets of 125 x 8 to 10.
agreed, just wanted some more TUT. I'm on board, for some reason I discarded the logic behind TUT and muscle growth thinking I'd get same results lifting heavy for less.

5 sets of bench
4 sets of incline
2 sets of pushups,

Quote:
Cant you do another burn out set? Or maybe some negatives at the end. That definitely puts a lot of time under tension.
if I'm able to do 15 pushups on 2nd set or more I'll add a third set solly

I'm smart enough (hopefully) to apply this to my leg day as well.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #256
M3Inline6

Quote:
That's pretty cool
I actually quit doing any heavy leg movement as my legs severely outgrew the rest of my body very quickly
I had 28' legs pre-contest diet which was about 26ish on stage. So I don't really squat anymore. I've moved in excess 495 but don't really like it cuz my squat stance is VERY narrow and my ass to calve version of squatting is very hard on my knees
But I could do it I suppose if need be
I do regularly Straight Leg Deadlift 315 though. Just cuz I love a good hammy hang
I'm running into that to some degree. My ass/legs are large, and my upper body grows at a slower rate. The most that I've ever moved is about 470, but I can't do that today. I probably couldn't do more than 440-450 today, and to accomplish that I'd need to really eat like a madman throughout the day. It feels good to be at 405+ again though. I've been working on some external hip rotation techniques that I've been learning from a few power lifter buddies (..which has helped my power clean quite a bit), so I vary my squat depending on how much weight I need to move.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-07-2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360271692
Old 02-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #257
DonaldE

Pic showing legs being way to big for my body

Last edited by DonaldE; 02-07-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #258
DonaldE

And as you can see, that was some time ago
Old 02-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #259
dabears

Maybe I should ditch the pushups and replace with cable crossovers for 12-15 reps? I don't want total exercises over 3.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #260
DonaldE

Quote:
Traditionally all people care about is their bench press number to brag to friends. Maybe I'm crazy lol. I see nothing wrong with maxing a very popular lift.
The only number I'll ever brag about is DeadLift numbers.
And I can incline 315 for multiple sets of 12
Deadlift is was better when comparing strength