E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #281
DonaldE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 650
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
You made an easily verifiable claim and refuse to verify it. If you want to prove me wrong, ignorant, etc, just post your BodPod (or similar measuring method) printout.

I'm not even trying to be a jerk. You're in great shape. Nobody's questioning that you were lean - I'm just saying that pulling numbers out of thin air is silly. If you claimed a 700 squat, you'd probably have something to prove it. This shouldn't be any different, especially if you're going to insult other people based on your (seemingly) baseless claim.
Wasn't pulled out of thin air. Calipers were used. And you are being ignorant
__________________

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Tan Leather Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Loaded

DonaldE
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #282
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldE View Post
Wasn't pulled out of thin air. Calipers were used. And you are being ignorant
Calipers are nonsense.

You looked good though. Congrats on your win.

If it makes you feel better (after shotgunning three posts, calling me ignorant several times, bringing in immaterial facts as evidence) you placed better than I ever did when I competed
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #283
DonaldE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 650
My Ride: 2002 330i
My gym didn't have a hydrostatic dunk tank. So calipers are the next best. You deserved what you we're called for calling me a liar. You would do the same if I did that to you
__________________

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Tan Leather Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Loaded

DonaldE
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #284
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
dwass would you consider a DEXA scan legit?
__________________
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #285
DonaldE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 650
My Ride: 2002 330i
Sorry. Didn't mean to argue on your thread. But isn't that's bone density took?
__________________

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Tan Leather Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Loaded

DonaldE
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #286
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldE View Post
My gym didn't have a hydrostatic dunk tank. So calipers are the next best. You deserved what you we're called for calling me a liar. You would do the same if I did that to you
No, I wouldn't. I just try to avoid citing specific, measurable number when I don't have hard evidence to prove them.

Besides, why even bother discussing bodyfat? It's not like it makes a first place finish any more legitimate... especially when 99% of bodyfat discussions are based on sketchy measurements and numbers pulled from thin air.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #287
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
dwass would you consider a DEXA scan legit?
I am not up on dexa...thought it was just for bone density? That would tell you what portion of your weight is bone, but wouldn't it then leave you with no guide as to how much is fat vs muscle?
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #288
Glight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 96
My Ride: 2003 325i
This is funny

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Glight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #289
DonaldE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 650
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
No, I wouldn't. I just try to avoid citing specific, measurable number when I don't have hard evidence to prove them.

Besides, why even bother discussing bodyfat? It's not like it makes a first place finish any more legitimate... especially when 99% of bodyfat discussions are based on sketchy measurements and numbers pulled from thin air.
I didn't. It was asked, and I answered
__________________

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Tan Leather Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Loaded

DonaldE
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #290
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldE View Post
Sorry. Didn't mean to argue on your thread. But isn't that's bone density took?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
I am not up on dexa...thought it was just for bone density? That would tell you what portion of your weight is bone, but wouldn't it then leave you with no guide as to how much is fat vs muscle?
I'm no expert on exactly how it determines BF% (you are right, it is a bone density test), but from I've read/heard its the next best thing after hydrostastic dunk tanks. There's still margin for error, but its a more accurate method than calipers etc.

I just made the comment on his relative BF level to see if my assumptions were correct (I've done a lot of reading on visually estimating BF, if you remember that thread awhile back).
__________________
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #291
DonaldE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 650
My Ride: 2002 330i
Why do you guys think calipers are so incorrect. First thing in the morning before any calories or water, calipers will be incredibly accurate.

2002 BMW 330i
__________________

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Tan Leather Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Loaded

DonaldE
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #292
BMW_Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,066
My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
He's lean, but that's not five percent via any of the scientific methods (not that details of bodyfat percentage really ever matters.)
I'm going to go ahead and agree with you. Probably 6%. Not a big difference, but certainly not the 4 he claimed. The 2% is a huge difference.

Congrats at your accomplishment though, hell of a body. To answer your question, different bodies store fats at different areas. 9 point test is accurate to a degree, but with a few % margin error.

Last edited by BMW_Matt; 02-07-2013 at 08:32 PM.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #293
DonaldE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 650
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
I'm going to go ahead and agree with you. Probably 6%. Not a big difference, but certainly not the 4 he claimed. The 2% is a huge difference.

Congrats at your accomplishment though, hell of a body. To answer your question, different bodies store fats at different areas. 9 point test is accurate to a degree, but with a few % margin error.
Which is why it's a good over all body average. I was holding extreme amounts of water in my abdomen because of immense sodium and water intake. But my quads were stripped and feathered. And I have striated glute pics if you guys want them lol.

2002 BMW 330i
__________________

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Tan Leather Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Loaded

DonaldE
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #294
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
haha keep the glute pics outta here at the very least

chest workout yesterday... I've only got less than two months less of muscle building so I'm going to stick with my routine, since I really like it and feel I'm still getting results

did have a question though... guy spotted me (and did a great job) and was questioning me on the way I perform my reps. I bring the weight down somewhat slowly in a controlled manner, just about touch chest and then push with all I've got.

He was saying I was tiring myself out bringing it down so slow, so I tried (with him spotting) bringing the weight down quicker and then pushing. I'd like to keep doing it my way, I feel I get better TUT etc with the slower reps.

Bench Press

95 x 10 warmup
135 x 7 warmup

175 x 5
165 x 5
155 x 6

Incline Press
135 x 5
125 x 4
115 x 6

Then for a burnout I did the "tyson 15" pushups... do a rep, get up touch the wall, back down, two reps, get up ... etc.

I got 7 rounds (28 pushups total) so I could tell I was gassed. I get 11 rounds (66 total) fresh.

Edit: every single bench rep (flat/incline) I couldn't have done anymore reps
__________________

Last edited by dabears; 02-08-2013 at 09:27 AM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #295
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
haha keep the glute pics outta here at the very least

chest workout yesterday... I've only got less than two months less of muscle building so I'm going to stick with my routine, since I really like it and feel I'm still getting results

did have a question though... guy spotted me (and did a great job) and was questioning me on the way I perform my reps. I bring the weight down somewhat slowly in a controlled manner, just about touch chest and then push with all I've got.

He was saying I was tiring myself out bringing it down so slow, so I tried (with him spotting) bringing the weight down quicker and then pushing. I'd like to keep doing it my way, I feel I get better TUT etc with the slower reps.

Bench Press

95 x 10 warmup
135 x 7 warmup

175 x 5
165 x 5
155 x 6

Incline Press
135 x 5
125 x 4
115 x 6

Then for a burnout I did the "tyson 15" pushups... do a rep, get up touch the wall, back down, two reps, get up ... etc.

I got 7 rounds (28 pushups total) so I could tell I was gassed. I get 11 rounds (66 total) fresh.
My goal when benching is get the weight up fast so I let it drop kind of quickly. He is right that you will tire yourself out faster but it may be better for muscle building.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #296
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Fast positives, slower negatives for muscle growth.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #297
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Fast positives, slower negatives for muscle growth.
thats what I thought. I do pretty much all my exercises like this (slow and controlled movements). If I happen to push less weight, so be it. It's all relative.
__________________
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #298
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
thats what I thought. I do pretty much all my exercises like this (slow and controlled movements). If I happen to push less weight, so be it. It's all relative.
that's it man. I need this outlook sometimes. I should definitely end my workout with some really good negatives.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #299
DonaldE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 650
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
that's it man. I need this outlook sometimes. I should definitely end my workout with some really good negatives.
Negative and any other eccentric motions are gonna be the king of muscle building routines. Working the muscle quickly like you mentioned before is great for "white fiber" training (speed, explosiveness, etc.) But as far as actual fascia stretch and fiber damage the prior will go much further. Letting the weight drop quickly when bench pressing will only end up hurting yourself in the long run. I'm not saying to do it excessively slow (Although there are firm believers in HIT), a controlled equal up and down movement will be your best bet. Also switching from thumb over and thumb (suicide grip) will really affect the area trained when benching.
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #300
DonaldE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 650
My Ride: 2002 330i
For your next chest workout do the incline sets first. Then alternate on a weekly basis (or however you design your workouts)
Also try doing biceps with your bench routine and triceps with your back routine, then have a separate arm day later in the week.
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use