E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #341
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Did hot yoga for second time yesterday... I was the only guy in the class. Every girl was my age, and fit. Definite eye candy... I'm taking the positives out of the experience lol.

This was the most grueling "pose" I had to do. I was nowhere near this straight.

Oh and being surrounded by this was pretty awesome not going to lie (yeah I creeped )

Old 02-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #342
dabears

Todays workout...

Bench Press
95 x 10 warmup
135 x 7 warmup

180 x 4 (spotted, didn't help)
165 x 3
155 x 4

Incline DB press (db combined)
130 x 4
120 x 6
120 x 5

Pushups (Tyson 15 style)
3 into Round 8 (31 total)

I did 175 x 5 bench last week, but it was spotted and I gave it everything. I really ran out of gas after 180 x 4 this week, so I think I will go back to 175 x 5 next week and try it unspotted, and work on getting my 2nd and 3rd set up until I am comfortable with 175.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #343
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
Hey man, not sure if you're doing your presses in a squat rack and unracking to press... but you should give this a try: Power clean and press the first one off the floor and do as many as possible. Snatching off the floor works MUCH better for me. After you get the first one up, the rest are strict and controlled. For me, the bar just seems 20 pounds lighter.. mental stuff ye know?!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #344
dabears

Yeah i'm unracking, there actually wouldn't be room to try what you are saying in my current gym. When I start back up in the fall for strength training I'm going to sign up at a gym with rubber weights so I can learn and perform the olympic lifts.. I've never done a clean

Makes sense, my first rep is usually not the best then I get in a groove
Old 02-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #345
sweetbro858

Word.

Can you post up your 3 day workout again?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #346
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Yeah i'm unracking, there actually wouldn't be room to try what you are saying in my current gym. When I start back up in the fall for strength training I'm going to sign up at a gym with rubber weights so I can learn and perform the olympic lifts.. I've never done a clean

Makes sense, my first rep is usually not the best then I get in a groove
If you've never Cleaned before, work on your Hang Clean until you have the form correct. Then move to the Power Clean!
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #347
dabears

This works me for currently... you may or may not need more volume (especially on chest, one of my weaker lifts)

I warmup by foam rolling, and then some higher rep light sets around 60% of workset. It's very important, because I go heaviest upfront (more fresh, I really like it).

Monday

Back Squat

do your 5 rep max
take 10% weight off, go for 6
take 10% weight off, go for 7
take 10% weight off, go for 8

Romanian Deadlifts

3 sets of 10

Standing calf raises

3 sets of 15

Wednesday

Bench Press

do your 5 rep max

I'm pretty done after 3 sets... I'm sure most would need at least 4.

Incline Bench / DB Bench (alternate weeks)

For barbell:
do your 5 rep max

For DB:
3 x 8

Then I finish with tyson 15 style pushups for as many "rounds" as I can

Do a pushup, get up, touch wall in front of you, do two pushups, touch wall, do three etc.. right now I get to middle of round 8 and collapse.

I know I'm burned out because I can get to round 11 fresh.

You are supposed to finish 15 rounds (120 pushups with limited rest). I'll be pretty stoked when I get there.

Friday

Deadlifts

this is glights rep scheme he made for me based on my current weight... hard to explain like i did above but you get the idea

warmup
135 x 5
185 x 4
225 x 3

worksets
275 x 3 reps
295 x 2 reps x 5 sets (essentially your 3 rep max, after 5 sets you'll be down to a 2RM)
225 x 5 x 5 (burnout, performed with decent speed)

that'll leave you dead... then

Overhead Press

do your 5 rep max

Chinups

I just do bodyweight since at this point i can only get 8 or less.

3 sets of 8

if you use weighted vest, do your 6 rep max /w added weight then
take 10% weight off, go for 8

Bent over barbell rows

3 x 8
Old 02-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #348
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
If you've never Cleaned before, work on your Hang Clean until you have the form correct. Then move to the Power Clean!
Don't worry I'll probably be asking a ton of questions on here!

Going to try and get someone to film one of my 2 rep sets, as that is heavy and will show any weakness in form
Old 02-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #349
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
I will agree with this. I did it back wards and I think it made it harder on me. Lifting the bar is easy, the other parts are where everyone gets hung up.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #350
sweetbro858

That looks nice. So Mondays you do Back Squat? Is that just the deadlift, and then you do deadlifts again on Friday?

Chin ups are tough for me, they feel so fkn awkward, I can do a lot more pull ups than chin ups. I've been workin on them tho!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #351
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbro858 View Post
That looks nice. So Mondays you do Back Squat? Is that just the deadlift, and then you do deadlifts again on Friday?

Chin ups are tough for me, they feel so fkn awkward, I can do a lot more pull ups than chin ups. I've been workin on them tho!
romanian or "stiff legged" deadlifts are where you don't touch the weight to the floor... so you deadlift the bar up and lock out, then bend at the hips to get a nice stretch in the hamstrings (load should be placed on them not lower back lol) then come back up and repeat for 10 reps.

chinups will kill your biceps
Old 02-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #352
dabears

I said bent over barbell rows, but I'm comfortable with that movement so I am using pendlay rows... they hit your rear delts better, and the exercises I listed hit pretty much every body part well except those.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #353
DonaldE

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
romanian or "stiff legged" deadlifts are where you don't touch the weight to the floor... so you deadlift the bar up and lock out, then bend at the hips to get a nice stretch in the hamstrings (load should be placed on them not lower back lol) then come back up and repeat for 10 reps.

chinups will kill your biceps
The load should not be brought to lockout. In fact, the ROM of the bar should stay between ankles and knees. Get on a platform in order for the bar to go all the way down without the weight touching the floor

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Swapped M3 Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Locked/Loaded/Loud

DonaldE
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #354
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldE View Post
The load should not be brought to lockout. In fact, the ROM of the bar should stay between ankles and knees. Get on a platform in order for the bar to go all the way down without the weight touching the floor
I meant when you first bring it up, I mean you can do whatever but to avoid injury I conventionally deadlift it up then get in position and stiff leg it. This wrong?

I'm tall / not flexible enough so that I get a good stretch in the hamstrings without bar ever having to touch the floor... I'm sure for others its different
Old 02-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #355
M3Inline6

Quote:
Don't worry I'll probably be asking a ton of questions on here!

Going to try and get someone to film one of my 2 rep sets, as that is heavy and will show any weakness in form
2 rep PC sets? Why? I'd rather watch a video of you doing more reps at a lighter weight. That's sufficient enough to expose issues with your form. Bad heavy sets only increase the potential that you're going to hurt yourself.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #356
dabears

Quote:
2 rep PC sets? Why? I'd rather watch a video of you doing more reps at a lighter weight. That's sufficient enough to expose issues with your form. Bad heavy sets only increase the potential that you're going to hurt yourself.
I figured form starts to break down when lifting extremely heavy. I'll get him to film my 230 x 5 then
Old 02-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #357
M3Inline6

Quote:
I'm tall / not flexible enough so that I get a good stretch in the hamstrings without bar ever having to touch the floor... I'm sure for others its different
My body type allows me to achieve good ROM and not touch the floor either. Donald must have short legs.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #358
M3Inline6

Quote:
I figured form starts to break down when lifting extremely heavy. I'll get him to film my 230 x 5 then
Not necessarily! When I first began working Hang Cleans, my bad form was exposed with weight as light as 135 lbs. WAIT, what are we talking about here? You're not Cleaning 230 lbs.!!

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-15-2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360956831
Old 02-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #359
dabears

Quote:
Not necessarily! When I first began working Hang Cleans, my bad form was exposed with weight as light as 135 lbs. WAIT, what are we talking about here? You're not Cleaning 230 lbs.!!
I had to re-read what I wrote, my bad for causing obvious confusion haha

forgot to mention I was referring to my deadlift that we were discussing the other day you'd like to see a video of (after discussing shin rubbing)

Last edited by dabears; 02-15-2013 at 02:36 PM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #360
M3Inline6

Quote:
I had to re-read what I wrote, my bad for causing obvious confusion haha

forgot to mention I was referring to my deadlift that we were discussing the other day you'd like to see a video of (after discussing shin rubbing)

Ohhhh! Now it makes sense. LOL!