E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:36 AM   #21
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushy View Post
hey nice pics but what about a shot of your legs
maybe a full body shot
with
no
clothes
oh
my
gawd

sweetbro858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:38 AM   #22
sweetbro858

Have you considered doing RPT (Reverse Pyramid Training)? I started a few weeks ago and I'm hitting weight I've never tried before, some weights I haven't even tried lifting in over a year. If you been doing the stardard pyramid training for a while you could prob benefit A LOT from it.

But either way, whatever you stick to for 10 weeks you'll def see some gains.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #23
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbro858 View Post
Have you considered doing RPT (Reverse Pyramid Training)? I started a few weeks ago and I'm hitting weight I've never tried before, some weights I haven't even tried lifting in over a year. If you been doing the stardard pyramid training for a while you could prob benefit A LOT from it.

But either way, whatever you stick to for 10 weeks you'll def see some gains.
I've never tried it actually, do you have an example routine? I'll assume you go heavy to start and go lighter as sets progress?

I'm going to be doing this for ~2-3 months starting in september.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...out-split.html
Old 08-19-2012, 01:13 AM   #24
sweetbro858

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I've never tried it actually, do you have an example routine? I'll assume you go heavy to start and go lighter as sets progress?

I'm going to be doing this for ~2-3 months starting in september.

That looks like a much better one to follow. The routine in your OP was kinda overboard IMO. I think for bulking you should just do the basic movements and go heavy, no need to do four different variations of rowing or chest ect ect...

For the Reverse Pyramid Training, something I just started lastweek, is something like this:

Basically do X # of reps for Z weight. Next set, do (Z-10%) weight for X+1 reps. Next set, do (Z-20%) for X+2 reps. Alternatively, you can do (Z-5%) weight for X reps.

An example to elucidate:

Bench Press: 4 reps of 300 pounds (10% = 30)
Next set, drop 30 lb (now at 270) and do 5 reps
Next set, drop 30 lb (now at 240) and do 6 reps.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:26 AM   #25
sweetbro858

I'm just doing the basic movements right now, I'm not too strict to sticking with it, but I'm always sure to do deadlift, beach, squat.

1. deadlifts, chins, pendlay rows, ab work

2. flat bench, incline or decline bench, military press

3.squats, leg curls, calves, ab work

Rest day falls between each workout. Rest days I'll just do light cardio.

Last edited by sweetbro858; 08-19-2012 at 01:27 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #26
s3th

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP
^ So your not really working your arms or shoulders much at all?

500px
s3th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #27
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbro858 View Post
I'm just doing the basic movements right now, I'm not too strict to sticking with it, but I'm always sure to do deadlift, beach, squat.

1. deadlifts, chins, pendlay rows, ab work

2. flat bench, incline or decline bench, military press

3.squats, leg curls, calves, ab work

Rest day falls between each workout. Rest days I'll just do light cardio.
Why is it so popular to not do arms these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #28
sweetbro858

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3th View Post
^ So your not really working your arms or shoulders much at all?
shoulders I go heavy with military presses, sometimes do a set or two of seated dumbbell presses. Sure I've dedicated a full day to shoulers but as of now I'm just trying to go heavy as possible, move up in weight, and maybe in a few/weeks I'll throw in some bushwackers or forward laterals.

I'll do shrugs 1-2 a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post

I think some of the StartingStregth programs might not do a lot of arms, and they believe the chins, presses and bench tackle the triceps.

When I do back I'll do 3 sets biceps and 3 sets triceps.

I'm just experimenting with things right now.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #29
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
A lot of programs say you don't need it but I disagree to a point. I'm hoping with 3sets to failure of pull ups once a week 3 sets on chins once a week, and curls will help my bis and bench, ring dips, push ups, and close grip bench will help y tris. I just started doing this since last week so I'll see how it goes. I can always add in some more.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #30
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Don't know, nothing works out your arms like working out your arms.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #31
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Your nipples could be frostier. Work on that.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #32
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Personally I dont care if I dont have big arms and I dont feel my lack of doing arms is keeping me from accomplishing my goals. If they are toothpicks, then yeah, for sure, but with my limited amount of time to train, I dont have a need or want to focus on stuff that isnt taking me towards my end goal.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #33
dwass325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Personally I dont care if I dont have big arms and I dont feel my lack of doing arms is keeping me from accomplishing my goals. If they are toothpicks, then yeah, for sure, but with my limited amount of time to train, I dont have a need or want to focus on stuff that isnt taking me towards my end goal.
Are you competitive in CF? If so, I get it in your case, as you are specifically training for something. I wouldn't criticize a WSM competitor for not having big arms either.

But I don't get why an average guy who's lifting for health and looks would neglect doing arms. It seems like some sort of misplaced GTL backlash to me. "I'm a purpose built athlete! Nevermind that I don't compete in anything..."

Quote:
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

Old 08-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #34
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Are you competitive in CF? If so, I get it in your case, as you are specifically training for something. I wouldn't criticize a WSM competitor for not having big arms either.

But I don't get why an average guy who's lifting for health and looks would neglect doing arms. It seems like some sort of misplaced GTL backlash to me. "I'm a purpose built athlete! Nevermind that I don't compete in anything..."
I dont know how competitive I am, but I do compete. What's "GTL"?
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #35
DylloS

Quote:

To me it seems like there are people that go way too hard on hards and people that don't do anything besides pull ups. I was the later but now want to increase my arm size a bit.

a lot of people seem to do arms more than they work their quads and I think that's why a lot of people get annoyed lol.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #36
dwass325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
I dont know how competitive I am, but I do compete. What's "GTL"?
Gym Tan Laundry, ie Jersey Shore pretty boys.

Quote:

Old 08-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #37
dabears

to me, I feel isolation for triceps is important, as this muscle can grow quite a bit. However biceps usually get trained hard enough on compound back exercises, and don't grow very much in a year compared to other growth you could achieve by spending that exercise time on another muscle group.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:16 AM   #38
xcar360
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: BMW 318i
nice pics and firm muscles
xcar360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #39
dabears

Little update...

Did Stronglifts throughout July-> End of August. Definitely went up in weight on squats/deadlift/bench/overhead press, but I attest much of that to muscle memory after a 6 month cut. Feeling pretty good regardless.

Now to put on some real muscle. Little background, both this past winter and the winter before it, I had the same goal right around this time... pack muscle on my frame when its cold. However, I threw all my diet out the window completely, without learning my lesson after the first year. I also wasn't religious in my training, and missed gym often. Going into year 3 of this, it's time to mature.

This is the workout, I love its theory and barring any plateaus / no results I will continue to use it as long as possible... switching up exercises as I feel the need to. Started yesterday.

As far as nutrition, I'm going to do multiple things I have never done before while "bulking"... A)track my food initially, B) strategize food intake, C) time my carb intake. I've worked hard to get my body fat down two years in a row, and I refuse to shoot back up to 190+ again (currently 171).

Tracking food is simple, I use myfitnesspal iPhone app which has a bar code scanner and huge food database... its convenient enough to allow food tracking over an extended period of time.

I plan to do numerous things when it comes to diet. First, rest days are rest days from workout AND excess calories. No carbs, eat to maintenance. Simple. My plan (with obvious leeway to live) is to limit my carb intake to post workout only... about 100-150g. If I need to cheat, it will hopefully be after a intense weightlifting session, inhibiting the effects.

Also, I will cycle a bulk/cut within my muscle gaining period to minimize fat gain. 3 weeks of 500-750 excess calories on workout days, 1-2 weeks of 500 calorie deficit (depending on how rapid/slow fat loss is going). Workouts will remain constant. The ideology behind this is that your metabolism is high from the bulk diet, and you can shave a pound or two of fat every month without slowing your metabolism / HGH / testosterone production, and go right back into hypertrophy for another 3 weeks.

This is sort of an experiment on myself, if it works this could be a year round thing... finally break free from the bulk/cut cycle that I personally cannot stand. I can't even enjoy eating lots of food because I understand the immense hard work to come in the future to cut it back.

Crossing fingers I look back on this in 4-6 months and it worked!
Old 09-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #40
DylloS

Kushy does this I believe. I'm not a fan of splits usually because for me they never worked well but again, I was never consistent enough. Maybe over a 2 month period this winter I will try this out.