E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
Generix

My Ride: 330Ci Convertible 02
Vert install

Hi all - I'm currently doing an install on my 330 vert.

I have installed a kicker L5 10" solobaric (dual 2ohm voicecoil) in the ski pass.
I am running it with a directed D2400, I was unhappy with the bass produced when I tested it free air (using trunk as enclosure), so have sealed it (as best I could), however I have a concern re the way I have wired it.

The outputs on the D2400 are [+] [+] [-] [-] and I have wired the sub in parallel connecting the + on the sub to the + on the far left of the amp and the - of the sub to the - on the far right of the amp (leaving the two middle output terminals of the amp + & - not connected to anything).

I did this so that the amp would run the subs at 1ohm, however to get any output I have to switch the setting on the amp to 'slave' rather than 'master' - My issue is that I thought it should only be set to slave when amp strapping - which I am not doing, the manual is rubbish and does not make it clear how to correctly wire this, can anyone confirm if this sounds right?

(pics will follow of install once I have carpeted the sealed enclosure and installed the amps in the permanent positions.)

I am also installing two sets of infinity reference 5010cs for front and rear and will be running them off a directed a404 amp.

(anyone know if the speakers will install easy (am worried about clearance!))

Many thanks

Last edited by Generix; 06-17-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Generix is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
e46vert

My Ride: 330ci
i would like to see the pics....
Old 06-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
BillyJoelR

My Ride: Velvy B.
+1

BillyJoelR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
98mustangguy

My Ride: 04-325i, 00-s4
ok just taking a quick look at spec not even looking at wiring or slave/master you running as you say at 1ohm this give a 1200watt rms amp output according to directed, into a 10" sub rated for 450watt rms, ummmm i would rewire now before you blow everything. running 3 times a subs rating is not a good thing. try wiring the sub so the - connects to the amp neg then take the + from that coil and run it to the - on coil 2 take that + and run to amp. this will give you a series 4 ohm load which the amp outputs 450 watts rms at 4 ohm a perfect match-up for your sub.
98mustangguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
radarcontact

My Ride: 2006 330CiC/ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98mustangguy View Post
ok just taking a quick look at spec not even looking at wiring or slave/master you running as you say at 1ohm this give a 1200watt rms amp output according to directed, into a 10" sub rated for 450watt rms, ummmm i would rewire now before you blow everything. running 3 times a subs rating is not a good thing. try wiring the sub so the - connects to the amp neg then take the + from that coil and run it to the - on coil 2 take that + and run to amp. this will give you a series 4 ohm load which the amp outputs 450 watts rms at 4 ohm a perfect match-up for your sub.
98 has it EXACTLY RIGHT. In addition, be careful going overboard with the ohms reduction trick -- you'll reduce the life of your amp, you will make a lot of heat, and you halve your damping factor everytime you halve the ohms.
radarcontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
Generix

Thumbs Up

Ok advice taken - will rewire amp; I always thought it was better to go with low amps and use less gain as it worked the amp less - guess that was a mistake!

Also I installed a cheap ass ripspeed DV720 because (a) I wanted to install the head unit asap and could afford it; and (b) because I wanted to see if it was good value for money...

Now am thinking I shouldn't have bothered - not sure what the issue is but I assume it is head unit related - I'm getting a constant buzzing/whining sound from speakers - have tried a ground loop isolator to resolve between head unit and rca but to no avail...

Would it make any difference do you think if I instead try it between the rca and amp? Other alternative is to reground the head unit as I have it via a scotch clip connected to oem loom at the moment...

Any thoughts? Would be much appreciated.

Also infinities didn't fit in the rear =( so just installed the XO and tweeters. (At least I have spare mids for the front if anything should happen I guess!) - anyone recommend any decent coaxials with a shallow mounting depth (around 5cm I think) that I could use instead?

Have to dissassemble the custom box for rewiring and then carpet the amp fixings and box and then will get some pics up. =D

Last edited by Generix; 06-20-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
Generix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98mustangguy View Post
Not sure of I misread your explanation of how to wire up into series - but I thought to wire it in series you wired:
+ coil 1 on sub to + on amp
- coil 2 on sub to - on amp
+ coil 2 on sub to - coil 1 on sub

If thats what you meant then apologies! Otherwise please let me know if I'm way off!!

Last edited by Generix; 06-20-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
98mustangguy

My Ride: 04-325i, 00-s4
check all grounds, you most likely have a bad ground. try to ground all together with shortest run possible. amp i always ground to neg battery i never ground to body. check your gains. bad grounds, too high gains, rca run by high power components, low quality non shielded cables, cheap components can all contribute to noise. and yes for wiring.
98mustangguy is offline   Reply With Quote