E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
pnickisson

My Ride: 330i 100k
Audio options help

Hi all.

I have the BM54 radio amp. Noticed that i'm not getting any sound out of the passenger side rear speakers (but am getting it everywhere else). Having tested the speakers are OK, and the wiring is OK then it must be the BM54 amp that has become faulty on that circuit.

bearing in mind that I wish to retain the head unit as its radio/sat nav/bluetooth/computer/TV monitor + CD Changer and also want to put in a sub in the ski pass would you be able to suggest my best option.

As I see it from my limited knowledge of this area they are as follows

a) get a new BM54 amp (not cheap) and then cut into the rear speaker wires and wire it to a new amp that powers the new sub.

b)get a new amp and sub and run the sub from the signal on the rear right (would the one circuit be powerfull enough to power the sub) and this option still leaves me with no sound on the left.

c)as above but also take the signal from right rears be able to power the left rears and new sub as well????

d) get a new 5 channel amp and run all signals from new amp to all the speakers both front and rear and the new sub (but would this mean I lose radio mute facilities when answering phone) etc.

Thanks for any help offered as this is a totally new area to me and so all help and adice is gratefully appreciated.
pnickisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
325CI2004

My Ride: 09 335I
heres what i would do.

1. Buy a bm54 amp from the classifieds. Buy amp and sub for the trunk.

or.

2. Buy a 5 channel amp, new interior speakers, and a low wattage sub/box.

If you run a 5 channel amp to stock speakers, chances are they will blow rather quickly.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
pnickisson

Thanks for advice.

Prefer the sound of the 5 channel amp option (as it saves me 300 on BM54 radio amp).

Only thing not sure about would be which wires are which on the connector to the BM54 amp. I know which are the output speaker wires but not sure which are the input speaker wires.

and does the muting of the phone etc still occur if I get a 5 channel amp.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
packrat555

My Ride: 2001 325i
it seems unlikely that the amp would loose only the right rear. usually when amps fail it is the final output stage and fuses blow.

are you sure you have a good right rear signal going into the amp from the head unit?
packrat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
pnickisson

I have checked the headunit and the connectors are firmly located in their connecting holders. What I cant seem to workout though is which wires are the input signal to the amplifier from the headunit.

I have found 2 diagrams of the pinout of the amplifier

here is a wiring diagram for the BM54 - its the diagram titled '2002 and newer Radio Module - w/Nav'.

http://www.xoutpost.com/articles/x5/...formation.html

here is another diagram

http://www.bmwfaq.com/f17/conector-40-pins-bm54-246561/

Is it apparent to you?

Tags
amplifier, audio, newbie, subwoofer