E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
sebumd

My Ride: 2005 Carbon Black M3
Amp Install - car doesnt start...

I got my amp + sub installed professionally today. I drove the car home fine, went out earlier about an hour after I got home.

I just tried to go out again and the car doesn't start. It "clicks" one time and doesn't do anything else. The battery isnt dead, lights, nav, windows, everything works fine.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Help would be much appreciated as I need to go somewhere ASAP!!

Thanks,

-Scott
sebumd is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
JK1150

My Ride: 2004 325CI
Lights and everything else take a lot less power than starting your car. It is VERY common that lights and even high beams work when your battery is too weak to start a car. Charge the battery and try again, and check to see if your amp is staying on after you shut off your car.
JK1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
///BMW5

My Ride: 330ci
Most likely your remote wire wasn't installed correctly or the audio shop connected it to a constant 12v not switched which is draining your battery when your car is off. As JK1150 said ^ many things can still operate while the engine takes a lot more cranking amperage to start the car.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
Attaus

My Ride: '03 330Ci
If everything works and the ignition only clicks something tripped the security system/immobilizer.

If the lights dim when you turn the key (not turn off) then it's the battery. Otherwise only hearing a click is the security system. Is it aftermarket or stock?

'03 330Ci 5spd PP
Alpine Type R, MRP 500
Attaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
packrat555

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebumd View Post
I got my amp + sub installed professionally today. I drove the car home fine, went out earlier about an hour after I got home.

I just tried to go out again and the car doesn't start. It "clicks" one time and doesn't do anything else. The battery isnt dead, lights, nav, windows, everything works fine.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Help would be much appreciated as I need to go somewhere ASAP!!

Thanks,

-Scott
Everytime I read post like this I have to laugh. I can't believe how many people have never experience a dead battery and how much the overact when it happens.
packrat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:56 PM   #6
sebumd

Packrat: I've experienced a dead battery, but everything else works.

Attaus: It's the stock security system...ideas?

The amp is shutting off correctly. I'm assuming it's a dead battery, though. I'm getting it checked out tomorrow.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #7
teleopti

My Ride: BMW 330i
your battery is dead. your amp is drawing too much power and draining the battery since the alternator can't keep up. you are putting a lot of stress on the alternator to supply enough power so you will need to replace a battery and alternator if you continue down the path you are. I've been there done that. Make sure the install is correct and you might need to get a cap since you prob bumped all the way home
Old 06-20-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
scottys209

My Ride: 02 330Ci
Haven't dug into the E46 too much, is there a breaker or fuse between the batter at the back and the alternator at the front? May be the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleopti View Post
your battery is dead. your amp is drawing too much power and draining the battery since the alternator can't keep up. you are putting a lot of stress on the alternator to supply enough power so you will need to replace a battery and alternator if you continue down the path you are. I've been there done that. Make sure the install is correct and you might need to get a cap since you prob bumped all the way home
scottys209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
sebumd

Telopti, that sounds about right. I'm gonna replace the battery and hope all goes well without a cap. I tried messing around w/ it last week and probably f'd the battery up for good. Its been working for a week, but the install today and playin beats all the way home probably drained it too much anyway.

Thanks for the help..
Old 06-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #10
benjamin1

My Ride: 350z track edition
You're probably going to need a capacitor. A simple 1 farad capacitor will probably be enough to keep your battery from dying. With my system (1000w amp and 2 12's), if I sat idle at a stoplight too long my car would lose power and go into limp mode. My transmission control module (I have steptronic) would be the first thing to fail when this occured. It turns out that if your car is using too much power through accessories, your car will actually systematically shut off certain components until your power consumption is back on the same level as your power output. I would have to turn my audio off and let the car "recharge" itself for about a minute, turn the car off, then turn it back on in order for everything to work again.

I would recommend recharging your battery, however if you ran an output test on your battery you would probably find that you're somewhere around 7v-10v. After a certain ammount of power loss, your car will not start. However - many of your accessories can still run on the remaining power, which is why everything else works, you just can't start the car.

Another option would be to get a supplementary battery. http://www.kinetikaudio.com/2009/default.asp - Kinetik HC600 is a good, cheap battery.

benjamin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
sebumd

I just took my battery to advanced. It has 220 CCA out of 640. They said this was most likely the issue, trying to recharge it, if not I'll have to buy a new.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
sebumd

So the battery charged, they re-tested and it was full charge...I put it in, still not starting...New Battery?
Old 06-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #13
sebumd

If anyone has any ideas, let me know as I'm ready to try anything at this point. Waiting on a ride to go to buy a battery, though and try that.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:11 PM   #14
sebumd

My Battery is 100% fine. Is there some security system issue that this could be? That's what I'm hoping. I'm new to the E46 so any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:49 PM   #15
sebumd

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=610306 The positive terminal under the hood was loose. Car just started, hopefully that was the issue!

Thanks guys, hopefully it starts tomorrow for work!