E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2009, 03:18 PM   #21
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Cold, those FN SCAR's are brand new. There have been so many companies trying to offer the next rifle for the military. The SCAR has been one of the few that have actually made it into the hands of select special forces units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
Silencer is illegal. Flash suppressor should be ok.
Silencers aren't illegal...you just have to have the proper tax stamp/licensing to have one. Flash suppresors are "standard"
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #22
oofie

My Ride: 07 Fit
Send a message via AIM to oofie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post
Cold, those FN SCAR's are brand new. There have been so many companies trying to offer the next rifle for the military. The SCAR has been one of the few that have actually made it into the hands of select special forces units.

Silencers aren't illegal...you just have to have the proper tax stamp/licensing to have one. Flash suppresors are "standard"
In california they are. We also need a Bullet Button here so we can't use the normal mag release button, instead we use the tip of a bullet to release the magazine.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #23
Hobbes
Nonsense Generator

My Ride: 2006 X5 4.8is
Send a message via AIM to Hobbes
Quote:

You underestimate just how absurd our Cali gun laws are!
Old 06-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #24
JTLaz

My Ride: Can now offroad
Quote:
i love florida's gun laws.
JTLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:27 PM   #25
BeRzErKaS

My Ride: 330ciC; Boosted E36
Send a message via ICQ to BeRzErKaS
If this is your first carbine then get the AR.

As your only rifle, the AR is the more practical choice. It's accurate, reliable, proven, easy to operate, fun to shoot and has a very well established after-market for spare parts and accessories. The AR's performance well exceeds the capabilities of most recreational shooters right out of the box.

The aftermarket parts base is very important even if you're not interested in modding the rifle. You're in California, a very anti-gun state. As a New Yorker, I share your pain. What you should consider is that if they ever manage to finish banning semi-auto rifles you will want to be able to keep your pre-ban weapons system running despite whatever new restrictions they may put in place. Usually, spare parts that were manufactured before the ban are legal to own and swap into a preban rifle. You will be good for decades with the AR. You may not be as fortunate if you go with the SOCOM II, a newer and slightly more exotic weapon system.

The guys in free states may laugh but it's something we have to consider. They may also laugh at the prices you posted but they are actually pretty spot on as "ban state prices" go. $1500 is about what we pay for off the shelf AR's here as well.

And for the record, Springfield Armory is a top quality firearms manufacturer with an outstanding reputation. I haven't had a chance to fire the SOCOM II but I'm sure it's an outstanding weapon. What I'm unsure of is why you are weighing this particular rifle against the AR. If you want .308 then why not get an AR10? You haven't really mentioned what you want to do with your carbine. It sounded like modding and home defense were scratched off the list. Did you choose the SOCOM II based on looks?

Why does the SOCOM II appeal to you as an alternative to the AR?

BMW 3 Series - "Welcome to the club."

Supercharged E-dIrTy-6 325is 5sp
Drop Top E-sPorTy-6 330cic Step
BeRzErKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:42 PM   #26
Rush4theYehO

Quote:
Ack, I forgot to take your state's laws into effect. Absurd is an understatement.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #27
Coldintake
Registered OG User

My Ride: Mid-engine beast
Instead of quoting everyone i'm just going to try to take a stab and answer them all in one post..

I'm honestly looking at the Socom II and AR 15 because I initially was set on buying a .308 AR15, but was advised by some including the gun store that the .308 bullet wasn't 'made for' the AR15. Alternatively, the Socom II was relatively easy to pick up at this store, so it got pushed into my choices. I haven't really read up on the AR10, but when researching on the AR 15, I didn't find too many reasons why I'd get an AR10.

Rush, How much do the Fn SCARs run and do you know if they are CA legal? Anyone else know? Also is there a significant advantage of why I'd get a SCAR instead of the choices above?

Last edited by Coldintake; 06-22-2009 at 01:18 AM.
Coldintake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #28
3erdriver

My Ride: The Subway/NYC Taxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
Instead of quoting everyone i'm just going to try to take a stab and answer them all in one post..

I'm honestly looking at the Socom II and AR 15 because I initially was set on buying a .308 AR15, but was advised by some including the gun store that the .308 bullet wasn't 'made for' the AR15. Alternatively, the Socom II was relatively easy to pick up at this store, so it got pushed into my choices. I haven't really read up on the AR10, but when researching on the AR 15, I didn't find too many reasons why I'd get an AR10.
The AR platform is great. Anyone that says the 308 wasn't made for the AR platform is either an idiot or doesn't have an AR10 to sell you and instead has an AR15 and an M1A. Well technically the AR wasn't made for the 308, but it wasn't made for the 556 either. The system is proven to work on many different caliber's well. The US military uses versions of the AR that fire both 556 and 762 (308). The AR10 is a great option.

And being on the topic of AR Variants...at one point I owned 4 AR's in 556/223. I now own only one, and it's a 6.8SPC caliber. Like I said before I don't really like the 556/223 round. It doesn't fit for what I want in a gun. I want a gun I can use for self defense, hunt with, shoot long distance with, and just take to the range for fun. Unless I'm hunting varmints, or shooting inside 200 yards...the 223/556 doesn't really fit the bill. I LOVE my 6.8 AR, I can reach out to 3-400 yards...I can hunt anything I would actually be able to hunt (medium sized deer and smaller), it was designed as a replacement for the 556 round with more energy and damage potential, though it wasn't officially adopted, so it covers the self defense criteria. It's a little more expensive to plink with but there are some more reasonable ammo options coming about.

Anyway the point is the system is proven...what caliber you're shooting doesn't matter, the system works equally well on all calibers that the AR platform is made for.

If you like the AR platform go to www.ar15.com they have a great community and it's a great informative site for everything (including the M1A under the "Armory" section)
3erdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:54 PM   #29
Rush4theYehO

Quote:

Rush, How much do the Fn SCARs run and do you know if they are CA legal? Anyone else know? Also is there a significant advantage of why I'd get a SCAR instead of the choices above?

I really didn't want to get into the reasoning of why I want either of rifles. But lest to say, it is mainly to have a fun gun to take to the range and to have a strong enough weapon if s hit were to ever hit the fan. I know it's slim, but you never know and might as well pick up a hobby that can save your life one day.
From what I've seen, those SCARS are running around 2-2.5K. They're also pretty hard to find. For that much money you are gonna get a KICKASS AR though.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:00 PM   #30
Coldintake
Registered OG User

I'm so confused now.

So can someone please put out a pro/con list of the: AR10, AR15, Socom II and FN SCAR?
I don't want to sink money into two rifles at this point.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:31 PM   #31
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRzErKaS View Post
If this is your first carbine then get the AR.

As your only rifle, the AR is the more practical choice. It's accurate, reliable, proven, easy to operate, fun to shoot and has a very well established after-market for spare parts and accessories. The AR's performance well exceeds the capabilities of most recreational shooters right out of the box.

The aftermarket parts base is very important even if you're not interested in modding the rifle. You're in California, a very anti-gun state. As a New Yorker, I share your pain. What you should consider is that if they ever manage to finish banning semi-auto rifles you will want to be able to keep your pre-ban weapons system running despite whatever new restrictions they may put in place. Usually, spare parts that were manufactured before the ban are legal to own and swap into a preban rifle. You will be good for decades with the AR. You may not be as fortunate if you go with the SOCOM II, a newer and slightly more exotic weapon system.

The guys in free states may laugh but it's something we have to consider. They may also laugh at the prices you posted but they are actually pretty spot on as "ban state prices" go. $1500 is about what we pay for off the shelf AR's here as well.

And for the record, Springfield Armory is a top quality firearms manufacturer with an outstanding reputation. I haven't had a chance to fire the SOCOM II but I'm sure it's an outstanding weapon. What I'm unsure of is why you are weighing this particular rifle against the AR. If you want .308 then why not get an AR10? You haven't really mentioned what you want to do with your carbine. It sounded like modding and home defense were scratched off the list. Did you choose the SOCOM II based on looks?

Why does the SOCOM II appeal to you as an alternative to the AR?
Not to threadjack, but could you tell me what the current law is in NY about ARs? I've been searching around and some sites tell me the ban is in effect, some say it doesnt take effect til january, and I don't know what's restricted. I know high-cap mags made after '94 are illegal, but as far as the actual firearm, I don't know what teh deal is.

OP, get the AR. I've always wanted a .308 but I got the AR first because of its practicality and flexibility.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:41 AM   #32
Hobbes
Nonsense Generator

Quote:
I'm so confused now.

So can someone please put out a pro/con list of the: AR10, AR15, Socom II and FN SCAR?
I don't want to sink money into two rifles at this point.
The Socom II is the only one you will be able to own in California without having to neuter/lock the mag release.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #33
Coldintake
Registered OG User

Quote:
The Socom II is the only one you will be able to own in California without having to neuter/lock the mag release.
Good to know.. any other pros and cons?

Bump for the weekday work crew.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:34 PM   #34
Coldintake
Registered OG User

bump yet again... I want to decide sometime soon... Need more info/opinions.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:45 PM   #35
Rush4theYehO

Quote:
I'll let you Cali guys give him the advice. I have no idea how bad your gun laws go...
Old 06-22-2009, 11:45 PM   #36
Hobbes
Nonsense Generator

Quote:
Good to know.. any other pros and cons?

Bump for the weekday work crew.
Longer range.

Heavier/harder hitting rounds.

If you have pre-ban mags for it, you can use them (20-25 round)
Old 06-22-2009, 11:48 PM   #37
Hobbes
Nonsense Generator

Quote:
I'll let you Cali guys give him the advice. I have no idea how bad your gun laws go...
Yea we are pretty much up sh!ts creek here with the gun laws.

That's why I just try to acquire legal stuff and stockpile mags/ammo.

1 x USP .40sw with 12 mags

1 x USP .45 Custom Combat with 10 mags

1 x Benelli M1 Super 90 tactical with extension tube

3 x AR-15s Cali-Compliant..but ready for SHTF mode

mucho rounds for each in my closet.

Last edited by Hobbes; 06-22-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:51 PM   #38
Coldintake
Registered OG User

Quote:
Longer range.

Heavier/harder hitting rounds.

If you have pre-ban mags for it, you can use them (20-25 round)
Do I get the Hobbes stamp of approval for the socom vs the other guns?
Old 06-22-2009, 11:52 PM   #39
Hobbes
Nonsense Generator

Quote:
Do I get the Hobbes stamp of approval for the socom vs the other guns?

I'd rock the SOCOM for sure.

If you've got the cash, get it, and get a ton of mags for it.

You can always pick up an AR15 lower receiver (which is technically the "gun" for legal purposes) for around $150-200, and then build it up later.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #40
Coldintake
Registered OG User

Quote:
I'd rock the SOCOM for sure.

If you've got the cash, get it, and get a ton of mags for it.

You can always pick up an AR15 lower receiver (which is technically the "gun" for legal purposes) for around $150-200, and then build it up later.
Nice man.. that's what I hear esp from an AR owner. That's really good advice about the lower, I didn't know that was the case.

Now I'm pretty sure on the Socom II.... someone convince me otherwise.