E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #181
roadtrip1098

My Ride: 04 M3 SMG LSB
Unfortunately I don't think we'll see any type of recall or class action on this. If we do that would be great, but the reality as I posted earlier is that the SMG system is a sum of a bunch of tiny parts. There isn't one specific part that is faulty in the system or even a high failure rate of any one part. For instance if 1 in 100 Gear position sensors are bad, and 1 in 100 hydraulic pumps are bad, and springs, and salmon relays, and speed sensors, and accumulators, and so on... before long you are having a SMG system failure of over 10% (assuming the 1 in 100 parts are all installed on different transmissions).
Because the SMGII is still a relatively new concept for veteran mechanics they do not know how to accurately troubleshoot it (or they want big$$ to put in more parts), they say the whole system needs to be replaced.
roadtrip1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #182
papalobo

My Ride: 03 m3
mine just went and it is a hit of 4000 to fix , car is well mantained and has 73k on it. breaks my heart to think BMW with all the money they make off these cars ,will not step up and fix the problem ...John
papalobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #183
heitor.oliveira

My Ride: Campinas, São Paulo
I have a german 330i Motorsport with SMG transmission. The pump broke with 45k miles. Really frustrating because i live in Brazil and here it costs not $ 4k, it costs $12 K. I know. The price of another car of that in America. I guess it's the same pump as the ones they use on the M3's, since the price people have been talking here for the pump is around $ 4K which was what i paid for in the U.S. To make it worse, my SMG UNIT CONTROL MODULE also broke and it costs $ 1250.00. All that at the Santa Monica BMW dealership. Really frustrating. Now i have to pray to pass on the border of Brazil without getting caught by the customs, because i'm not declaring those parts. I'm risking it. Otherwise if i did, i would have to pay 60% of importation taxes. I don't wanna do that. It's already expensive as it is. If i get caught, i will have to pay the importation tax and a fine of 40%, so it comes up to 100%, then i'm screwed. Pray for me guys! lol
heitor.oliveira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #184
Ballstowalls

My Ride: 05 e46 m3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by heitor.oliveira View Post
I have a german 330i Motorsport with SMG transmission. The pump broke with 45k miles. Really frustrating because i live in Brazil and here it costs not $ 4k, it costs $12 K. I know. The price of another car of that in America. I guess it's the same pump as the ones they use on the M3's, since the price people have been talking here for the pump is around $ 4K which was what i paid for in the U.S. To make it worse, my SMG UNIT CONTROL MODULE also broke and it costs $ 1250.00. All that at the Santa Monica BMW dealership. Really frustrating. Now i have to pray to pass on the border of Brazil without getting caught by the customs, because i'm not declaring those parts. I'm risking it. Otherwise if i did, i would have to pay 60% of importation taxes. I don't wanna do that. It's already expensive as it is. If i get caught, i will have to pay the importation tax and a fine of 40%, so it comes up to 100%, then i'm screwed. Pray for me guys! lol
You can get a clean 330i for 12grand here
Ballstowalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:50 AM   #185
heitor.oliveira

I know my brother. But my reality is that i live in Brazil.

There, the government wants to increase the national industry production, increasing the GDP. So they make protectionist measures for it by increasing the importation taxes to an extraordinary stupid rate, which is around 100%. So if something costs $ 5K here (US), then same thing costs $ 10K in Brazil.
It's sad, but true. And that's not the worst part. Our national products that are being protect, don't have equal quality comparing to the imported products coming from 1st world countries, that is because only protectionism measures are not enough. There are other matters involved. Thus, the government is corrupt so all the tax money are converted to not improvement of the Country itself, but improvement of the president's bathroom, the president's wife $20k purse, or his new boat. Hope you understand now why a 2004 330i Motorsport SMG, costs $ 32k. Be glad to be American! Oh say can you see, by the dawns early light, what so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming..... I mean, not really, you guys got issues too. Besides that and crime, i love Brazil, great economy, which is growing each day. And, big asses. The problem about economy, is that one thing leads to another. Yeap.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #186
roadtrip1098

My Ride: 04 M3 SMG LSB
Quote:
Thus, the government is corrupt so all the tax money are converted to not improvement of the Country itself, but improvement of the president's bathroom, the president's wife $20k purse, or his new boat. Hope you understand now why a 2004 330i Motorsport SMG, costs $ 32k. Be glad to be American!
Just think, the Presidents wife's $20,000 purse may have only cost $10,000 if there wasn't an import tax.

I digress, back on topic - for anyone out there, when you first unlock the car in the morning and the SMG pump starts to prime, how long does yours run for? Mine is 7-8 seconds every time its sat overnight and everything seems to function flawlessly.
roadtrip1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #187
heitor.oliveira

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip1098 View Post
Just think, the Presidents wife's $20,000 purse may have only cost $10,000 if there wasn't an import tax.

I digress, back on topic - for anyone out there, when you first unlock the car in the morning and the SMG pump starts to prime, how long does yours run for? Mine is 7-8 seconds every time its sat overnight and everything seems to function flawlessly.

He prolly never paid tax.

My next car is definitely a manual M3 !
Old 08-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #188
kjsgadh

My Ride: 2001 330i
Hi all,

I have been reading various threads on various topics here on e46f for a long time, and was well aware of the issues with the pump on the SMG. But recently I found a 2004 M3 with 27K miles on it with an SMG with a decent price. I was contemplating upgrading to this from my 01 330i. I got a quote from CarChex for extended warranty for an agreeable price as well. With all the people who have suffered from SMG failure, did any of you have an extended warranty? If so, did it cover the pump failure?

Also, do you think it is a good idea to get an SMG car plus warranty? Opinions appreciated.

--Kiran.
kjsgadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:24 AM   #189
heitor.oliveira

I think you should forget about SMG and get a manual. So much more fun and auto are for girls. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsgadh View Post
Hi all,

I have been reading various threads on various topics here on e46f for a long time, and was well aware of the issues with the pump on the SMG. But recently I found a 2004 M3 with 27K miles on it with an SMG with a decent price. I was contemplating upgrading to this from my 01 330i. I got a quote from CarChex for extended warranty for an agreeable price as well. With all the people who have suffered from SMG failure, did any of you have an extended warranty? If so, did it cover the pump failure?

Also, do you think it is a good idea to get an SMG car plus warranty? Opinions appreciated.

--Kiran.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #190
kjsgadh

SMG isn't an auto. And you cannot possibly shift quicker than it manually, even if you're an expert and kicking the clutch perfectly every single time.

Plus I need to use my car as a daily driver. My daily commute is about 80 miles in DC traffic. A manual just does not suit my needs.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #191
heitor.oliveira

nough said bro!!!

Quote:
SMG isn't an auto. And you cannot possibly shift quicker than it manually, even if you're an expert and kicking the clutch perfectly every single time.

Plus I need to use my car as a daily driver. My daily commute is about 80 miles in DC traffic. A manual just does not suit my needs.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #192
heitor.oliveira

I just don't see the point on buying an M car and having it auto. In this case, "auto". But yeah, you definitely have some other things to consider.

I'm planning on buying an Manual M3 til the end of the year for DD. I think i will be fine. I mean, pleasure driving at all times. lol

In your case, i would go for a 335i though. Awesome car for DD. Plus, that SMG pump is eventually gonna break down. Sorry ! =/

But about the M3 manual, i mean, that's just my opinion you know, don't be mad. I love racing and i'm kinda into what looks and feels the most like racing.

Take it easy pal!!

Quote:

Old 08-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #193
kjsgadh

I hear you on the 335i, I've been looking for those as well, but the ones with low miles are too expensive, and the ones that I can afford do not have enough warranty left. I am ok with DIYing and have done a decent amount of work on my 330i, but the newer 335s are quite DIY unfriendly, they don't even have dipsticks. Plus with the turbos and HPFP issues, added money, etc, its a turn off.

The only reason I am even considering the M3 with an SMG is because it has really low mileage, and decent price.

Plus, I most certainly prefer the e46 styling over e90. If my 330 wasn't so beat up (needs about $3000+ in suspension and other parts) I would rock it till the wheels fall off.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #194
kjsgadh

Update:

I have been doing a lot research on warranties and also on the frequency and possible causes of pump failures. Just to be sure I contacted my quote agent at Carchex to ask specifically about the Pump, because it should be covered as a non wearing, internal lubricated part of the transmission and he told me that no warranty would cover that. Hopefully, I can try and cut a deal with him on it.

--Kiran.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #195
Westrace

My Ride: 06 G35, 04 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip1098 View Post
Unfortunately I don't think we'll see any type of recall or class action on this. If we do that would be great, but the reality as I posted earlier is that the SMG system is a sum of a bunch of tiny parts. There isn't one specific part that is faulty in the system or even a high failure rate of any one part. For instance if 1 in 100 Gear position sensors are bad, and 1 in 100 hydraulic pumps are bad, and springs, and salmon relays, and speed sensors, and accumulators, and so on... before long you are having a SMG system failure of over 10% (assuming the 1 in 100 parts are all installed on different transmissions).
Because the SMGII is still a relatively new concept for veteran mechanics they do not know how to accurately troubleshoot it (or they want big$$ to put in more parts), they say the whole system needs to be replaced.
I am not asking for a recall but at least they should make the parts less expensive to replace.
Westrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:28 AM   #196
DJsTiSil03M3CIC

My Ride: 2004 M3 CIC LSB
Send a message via AIM to DJsTiSil03M3CIC
Guys,

I have to make a decision by Monday on buying a 2005 M3cic with 84k miles, no smg pump replaced yet. My shop foreman tells me I shouldn't buy the car because of the pump issue, but the car is awesome and very well cared for. White/blue top/gray leather. What should I do?

DJ
Old 08-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #197
heitor.oliveira

If you really like the car, i think you should buy it.

But you must be willing to spend $ 4k when the pump breaks. After you replace it, you will be fine for quite a while. Remember your clutch must be always good, if it's slipping, it affects the pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJsTiSil03M3CIC View Post
Guys,

I have to make a decision by Monday on buying a 2005 M3cic with 84k miles, no smg pump replaced yet. My shop foreman tells me I shouldn't buy the car because of the pump issue, but the car is awesome and very well cared for. White/blue top/gray leather. What should I do?

DJ
Old 08-30-2012, 03:25 AM   #198
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
Hi guys, really interesting thread.

From what I can tell reading it as a prospective owner, the switches, relays and sensors seem to be causing the majority of issues here.

I don't think one person has actually shown a conclusively failed pump or accumulator. No blown seals, scored rods, melted armatures or cracked casings so far.

Sure a lot of pumps have been replaced, but these have all been 'diagnosed' at a dealer, who half the time is either using a computer (that is only as good as the fault finding software within) or guesswork based on what they've heard about the SMG.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:37 PM   #199
fast1727

My Ride: 2004 BMW M3
Whoa is me. So It looks like I need to replace my smg pump, and if the repair shop is to be believed I also need to replace my clutch, fly wheel, and various other sensors and relays. It's only $7,800 so I guess what's the big deal.

My car had issues starting for the past month, I would stick the key in and it wouldn't shift to neutral. I went along with it until it started happening more and more. Then suddenly one day as I was backing out it shifted from reverse to neutral. So I got it back to first finally and drove it to the shop where I got the quote.

My poor car has almost 90000 miles on it so I guess it was due. I dont know what the hell to do with it now.
fast1727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:46 PM   #200
Westrace

My Ride: 06 G35, 04 M3 Coupe
Quote:
I know my brother. But my reality is that i live in Brazil.

There, the government wants to increase the national industry production, increasing the GDP. So they make protectionist measures for it by increasing the importation taxes to an extraordinary stupid rate, which is around 100%. So if something costs $ 5K here (US), then same thing costs $ 10K in Brazil.
It's sad, but true. And that's not the worst part. Our national products that are being protect, don't have equal quality comparing to the imported products coming from 1st world countries, that is because only protectionism measures are not enough. There are other matters involved. Thus, the government is corrupt so all the tax money are converted to not improvement of the Country itself, but improvement of the president's bathroom, the president's wife $20k purse, or his new boat. Hope you understand now why a 2004 330i Motorsport SMG, costs $ 32k. Be glad to be American! Oh say can you see, by the dawns early light, what so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming..... I mean, not really, you guys got issues too. Besides that and crime, i love Brazil, great economy, which is growing each day. And, big asses. The problem about economy, is that one thing leads to another. Yeap.
Protectionism might actually work if Brazilians can prove they can make a M3 equivalence.
Westrace is offline   Reply With Quote