E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.44 average. Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 11:32 PM   #201
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Anybody else notice that the age of a lot of the cars posting SMG issues, is similar to the age the Vanos issues occur?

Has anybody tried to add external cooling to the hydraulic pump?
Most failures in any hydraulic systems are internal heat related.

Has anybody tried adding a fan and duct to cool the hydraulic system area?
(Think break duct... ) This would help your sensors as well.

I really believe there is almost no way to over-cool hydraulics. All the automatic
trans cars I've owned have gotten a setrab cooler to replace the lame factory ones.
Usually close to the size of the car radiator. Now I know the hydraulics on the SMG
trans are a fairly small closed system. This means heat is going to happen quickly.
Its possible the on actuation in high heat conditions your actually getting bubbles in the fluid.

Anybody ever put a gauge on the system to watch the hydro temps? Most hydraulic
fluid is going to have issues above 250 degrees.

CHeers
Dave

Last edited by dwtaylorpdx; 08-31-2012 at 11:33 PM.
dwtaylorpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #202
bryosb

My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
96k - Yeah, you know the deal hot weather cog lights up but goes off once it cools off. Or when you turn the key to the start position and it takes a while for the starter to engage. Any of that sound familiar to any of you SMG owners. My AutoEnginuity was pretty useless other than to give me the codes. Sure I tried to bleed it using the steps I found of this and other forums but imo 6 90s engagements of the gears does not equal the 30-45mins bleed cycle my GT1 performs. I was able to watch the pressure build after 30-40 seconds of the key being turned on showing me the accumulator was not holding pressure also causing my delay with the starter.

Anyway picked up my new pump over the weekend from Shawn over at Irvine BMW and threw it in the next day wow what a difference. It feels like a completely different car, shifts are crisp and clean with no hesitation on downshifts. And it starts soon as I turn the key without delay.

***///M3 04 SMG Xenon, NAV,Cold Weather Pkg,HK Sound, CD Changer***
bryosb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #203
M3ANMACHINE

My Ride: 2004 E46 ///M3
Well looks like my SMG pump is now dead...

E90 ///M3 - AW - 6MT - Volk - Akrapovic - Dinan
2004 E46 M3 : SOLD
M3ANMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #204
philenator4000

My Ride: 330Ci M Sport
my first post! I was a very proud owner of a 2004 BMW 330ci ZHP with the smg / ssg transmission. I purchased the car in the summer of 2009 in Toronto, Canada. The first night i purchased the car the engine turned off while turning left in the middle of an intersection...it must have been sitting for a while on the lot and stalled because of that....no other problems until a month ago. while on the off ramp of the highway the car beeped....i figured it was below 3c...but then it beeped again. I didnt know why until i looked down at the gear display....i was at a stoplight at the car was in fourth gear? The light turned green....i gave it very light gas and the car started rolling in 4th gear....half way through the intersection the car automatically went into neutral and i was stuck. A very nice gentleman in a 135 stopped and helped me push it to the side of the road. The engine was running fine, but there was a very bad burning smell (im assuming was the clutch). While I was waiting for a tow, 20 min after this problem happened i tried to put it in gear again and it worked! I was able to drive the car home. I took it to the shop the next day...SMG unit failure. It was $8500 for parts and labour. I knew i could buy a similar 330ci with a manual for about the same price so i declined the repair. The car worked fine until i eventually sold it. I drove it for another month...no problems at all. Im not too sure how long i could have gone with the SMG gearbox until repeated failures started to happen. Great car overall but just like all the other members seem to say...the SMG is a ticking time bomb. Honestly, if you are in a position to do so, (and I know it hurts to say this) but try to sell your smg M3 or 330ci, or trade it for a manual or auto car.

Last edited by philenator4000; 02-26-2013 at 02:45 PM.
philenator4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #205
lemieux2281

My Ride: 2004 330ci SMG
I have a 2004 330ci smg with 113k that recently broke and had codes read and was pump failure. I took it to dealership and cost me total of 1094 for new pump and labor shifts awesome now.
lemieux2281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #206
lpm

My Ride: 05 M3 SMG
05 coupe SMG 70k miles. It was drivable but pump would frequently drop gears for 5 sec to sometimes even 2 mins. Brought it to the dealer and they charged me $4100 to get it replaced. Works perfectly now, but I'm only at 73k.
lpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #207
Westrace

My Ride: 06 G35, 04 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpm View Post
05 coupe SMG 70k miles. It was drivable but pump would frequently drop gears for 5 sec to sometimes even 2 mins. Brought it to the dealer and they charged me $4100 to get it replaced. Works perfectly now, but I'm only at 73k.
A new pump from Tischer is about $2000.00. Labor cost from a good independent shop is probably about $700.00. Replacing the pump is relatively not very labor intensive.
Westrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #208
lemieux2281

My Ride: 2004 330ci SMG
My pump from BMW was only 550 and labor was 500 not sure why yours are so expensive. Mine works perfect now with the new one installed.
lemieux2281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #209
John 3:16

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianAshbee View Post
Hey guys....My SMG Pump just bit the dust at 50234 miles.... My local Indy shop has a genius mechanic and we are going to take the old pump out and vigorously inspect various components to see if there is any way to tell what exactly failed and if it can be repaired. I will keep the fellow SMG lovers/haters updated with the progress. Please let me know if its worth my time and energy to document the autopsy. Hopefully we can figure out a less expensive fix for this FU*k up by BMW.

Cheers,
Julian
Hi Julian, its 3 years since your post, what happened to the autopsy of your SMG pump. Do you still own the M3? It seems mine is on its way out at 60k bawling:
John 3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #210
kevine46m3

My Ride: 2004 e46 m3
i have a 2002 e46 m3 vert daily driven and ive had an issue where when i turn my car and put it in reverse or first my smg pump would just give out and wont go into gear...but ive niticed if i turn it off and allow the smg light to go away and turn it back on it drives normally . ive had it happen a couple of times on dead stop and having to mess around by putting it in first and natural back and forth so i can get to a safe location , but never giving up while driving ..i know i need to get this repaired because i hate having to deal with turning my car off and on waiting for the light to come off also its something that needs to be replaced in the first place.
kevine46m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #211
White135i

My Ride: 2010 135i AW/CR
SMG NOISE PLZ HELP only from 3-4 shift

After washing my car today, about 30 minutes after leaving the wash my car revved up in 3-4 change as if it didn't catch gear and just kept blinking and revving i thought it was going to leave me on the side of the road. but it started working fine but now i hear a noise from 3-4 shift under load while shifting at 4k rpm @ about 50percent throttle it makes a clank like metal on metal sound. weird thing is 1st 2nd 3rd i can rev it out and it feels fine and even 5-6 feels fine underload its just 3-4 makes that nasty sound that was never there before. i cannot pinpoint where its coming from and its bugging the hell outta me. Very worried...........best way i can explain the sound is like a metal on metal clank/ not the normal clunk it makes usually. Sounds ugly, but i can't understand why only 3-4 and every other gear is able to be revved and shifted under load. I really hope someone can chime in with a similar issue and fix for it???? Thanks in advance. Car specs are 2004 M3 just hit 65k miles inspection 2 was done @ 45k and i did an Inspection Kit right after buying it @ 61k.

Thanks,
Jacob
White135i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #212
John 3:16

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3
smg swop to manual

See my answer Ive just posted under SMG swop to manual .
John 3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #213
turbo_f22_pilot

My Ride: 2 pedals - 2 paddles
Quote:
Originally Posted by White135i View Post
After washing my car today, about 30 minutes after leaving the wash my car revved up in 3-4 change as if it didn't catch gear and just kept blinking and revving i thought it was going to leave me on the side of the road. but it started working fine but now i hear a noise from 3-4 shift under load while shifting at 4k rpm @ about 50percent throttle it makes a clank like metal on metal sound. weird thing is 1st 2nd 3rd i can rev it out and it feels fine and even 5-6 feels fine underload its just 3-4 makes that nasty sound that was never there before. i cannot pinpoint where its coming from and its bugging the hell outta me. Very worried...........best way i can explain the sound is like a metal on metal clank/ not the normal clunk it makes usually. Sounds ugly, but i can't understand why only 3-4 and every other gear is able to be revved and shifted under load. I really hope someone can chime in with a similar issue and fix for it???? Thanks in advance. Car specs are 2004 M3 just hit 65k miles inspection 2 was done @ 45k and i did an Inspection Kit right after buying it @ 61k.

Thanks,
Jacob
Compression spring.

Joy is future proof
Get your "M" on . . .
Reading is FundaM3ntal

CAR:
2003 TIAG Coupe / Blk Interior / SMG / HK Premium
MODS:
EU-CSL Coded / Macht Schnell intake / OEM CSL Wheels / OEM CSL Diffuser / Dinan Exhaust
Full LED Conversion / HID fog / Aurora AE / RE RTAB FCAB

BMWCCA NCC
turbo_f22_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #214
Westrace

My Ride: 06 G35, 04 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_f22_pilot View Post
Compression spring.
Happened to me. Cost about $550.00 to get it fixed.
Westrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #215
caprinski

My Ride: bmw M3 2002
Smg pump trouble

I got a 02 M3 and in the last month got back to the shop 4 times.
The first time that i got the problem the car would not **** to 0 so i couldn't start the car, after a jump cable the it shift to 0 and start. Almost getting home the car shift to 0 and would not shift anymore. Took to the shop they said that i need a new battery after less than a week the car had the same problem i took back to the shop and they did a rewire and change the salmon relay.
The car was great for a week until the transmission light went on again so before it stops on the road again i took back to the shop and now they said that for 41 times on the scan the code P1717 -fault code and i need a new smg pump.
Besides the money im afraid to change the pump and the problem persist.
I love this car and i have it for 4 years but this transmission problems are a pain!
Any thoughts e46 fanatics?
Im looking for a smg pump to buy it and cant pay the $2900.36 that the stealirship is asking.
caprinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #216
M3/805

My Ride: 2003-M3
oh man!!

Wll,new on here and just starting reading all this post.Very interesting,I have an -M3 with SMG,went down south for the weekend,weather was 115 degrees,coming back from my friends house,car would not shift!! went into neutral!!! so I baby the car back doing manual shifts,parked it at my inlaws and left town at night!!!! It was fine all the way home,300 trip each way!! and is been in the garage,drove it yesterday,OK!!! I hope it stays this way,got my relay coming with a new thermostat!!!! good luck to me!!!!!
And Hello to everybody here!!!!
Very well documented thread!!!!!
By the way! It has 122k miles and never had a shifting issue!
M3/805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #217
M3/805

My Ride: 2003-M3
I see it does not like heat,perhaps Im gonna custom install a motorcycle fan close to it with a manual switch and relay,location of the pump is a very hot engine area,if I can dissipate heat away maybe it will go a longer mile,just my observation!!!
M3/805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #218
Moosecakes

My Ride: 02' SMG M3
If you guys are getting the drop gear in heat issues, check out the resistor fix over on m3f. It's simple, add a 680ohm resister into the white wire for the SMG and bam, no more gear dropping unless a serious issue is going on. If anyone needs a resistor PM me I have a ton of them lol.

I haven't had any issues other than a couple of times my SMG cog lights up and turns off when Im in stop and go traffic and it's 90* out.

As to those of you getting pumps for sub 1k$ I am noticing that you all seem to have 330ci's and ZHP SSG trans, is your pump different than our M SMG pump? Or are we being hoodwinked into paying 4x more for the same part?
Old 07-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #219
EM3NiGHTMARES

My Ride: M3

I just bought a beautiful 03' coupe blueish/black ext black int 123k on the clock as soon as i signed the finance paperwork and left the lot i had the dropping out of gear and thought to myself oh no smg pump failure!
so i get the car scan p1717 bought the new relay will be installing it tommorow but need to know if i need to do the resister fix or not? temps here are usually 80-90s my car has no lights shifts fine cold but when heats up problems!

Last edited by EM3NiGHTMARES; 07-22-2013 at 11:50 PM.
EM3NiGHTMARES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:53 AM   #220
Moosecakes

My Ride: 02' SMG M3
Just change your relay I threw the same code. But the car drove perfectly fine. If you get the light or drop gears then do the mod, my car will get pissed at 80* if I'm driving in town for a good while. I did my resistor mod and no issues so far!

Here's a quick pic of the mod.

Obviously shrink wrap it when you're done, I did just didn't get any pics..

Last edited by Moosecakes; 07-23-2013 at 01:55 AM.
Moosecakes is offline   Reply With Quote