E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 07:09 AM   #21
dreadh4sh

My Ride: 2002 M3 Coupe
My hydraulic pump failed about 3 months ago, and it was about $3k part and labor to replace it. My M3 is an '02 coupe, and the mileage was about 15k at the time of failure.

Best regards,

Matt

dreadh4sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:07 AM   #22
fordpwns

My Ride: GR STi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcf View Post
WOW, that is impressive since your car was not availible with SMG. You have an automatic, and do not have an SMG pump.
Do research before you make yourself look like an idiot

-Dr. F. Pwns

"bro a real university is a little bit harder than community college. let me know if you get into haas, then you'll see"
fordpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #23
zen_racer

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadh4sh View Post
... and the mileage was about 15k at the time of failure.
wow, that seems like really low miles. Obviously sounding more like age than wear.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #24
JulianAshbee

My Ride: E46 M3 SMG VERT
I have ordered my pump and will be installing it next week..... Some time next weekend I will take a closer look at the broken pump and let you guys know asap what the exact weak point was.

Cheers,
Julian
JulianAshbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:55 PM   #25
Bonziii82

My Ride: G35 (M3 soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianAshbee View Post
I have ordered my pump and will be installing it next week..... Some time next weekend I will take a closer look at the broken pump and let you guys know asap what the exact weak point was.

Cheers,
Julian
Where can you buy pumps outside of a dealer?
Bonziii82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:39 AM   #26
ramz415

My Ride: 2003 bmw m3 e46
i was at a red light and didnt even notice i put my foot on the gas and went no where fast got it towed to the house than towed to bmw and they said it was the pump. FML but **** we got to do something about this cause theres a bunch of us here and im not feelin this whole 3500 dollar thing

Last edited by ramz415; 07-09-2009 at 02:31 AM.
ramz415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #27
scottymon

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
I am thinking of buying an 2005 M with SMG - is there any way to catch impending failure when car is being inspected?
scottymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #28
hyperdyne

My Ride: m3
My SMG pump took a dump on me roughly 1.5 years ago when I was at ~65k miles. Initially I was getting the overheating and kicking out of gear in traffic symptoms. Then entering freeway one day heading home from work I down shifted to get up to speed, car bucked and felt like something blew up, car goes into limp mode. Ended up being the pump and a bad relay. It was under warranty still, if not it would have cost me $4200 :O I simultaneously love/hate this car...
hyperdyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:47 PM   #29
IFX
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: AW //M
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottymon View Post
I am thinking of buying an 2005 M with SMG - is there any way to catch impending failure when car is being inspected?

Nope, that's the gamble you take. I'm currently looking for an M as well.
People have had failures at 15k, and some are going strong with 60k plus with no problems.
IFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:52 PM   #30
2003 bmw m3

My Ride: 2003 M3 tiag vert
i have 88k miles on my 2003 m3 and never had a problem with anything, but i know its coming so i just want to try to get my pump replaced anyway cuz i still have it under warranty
2003 bmw m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #31
xxunknownxx

My Ride: E46 M3
I have 108k miles and still with the original smg/pump. im kinda scared about all this talk. i guess im one of the lucky ones that hasent had this problem yet. ive also tracked the car 2 times, and done plenty on launch controls(at 75k miles, havent done any launches since then). please keep us updated in you guys find any info, cause im preety sure mine is past due to fail lol....
xxunknownxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:26 PM   #32
M3 Baddie

My Ride: 05 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianAshbee View Post

Cheers,
Julian
have you figure out what the weak point was yet ? If you had a chance to look at it yet that is.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #33
guest1205
Banned User

My Ride: A car
My SMG Pump failed in my M3. Took the dealer forever to fix it, too. My coils also went bad. Oh, and one of my hood sensors broke. So did my e-brake sensor. Man...
guest1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:47 AM   #34
6spzhp

My Ride: 2003 M3
I did the same thing. I was looking for M3s and I seen all the crap on here and other places about smg failures an what not. The way I see it is, if you want it, get it. You can't live scared always thinking something is going to happen. I bought mine and haven't looked back. Am I scared of it failing? No. Will it fail? I don't think it ever will. Stay positive and have fun!!!
6spzhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #35
grkm3

My Ride: Money Pit
Send a message via AIM to grkm3
My original pump is still going strong, knock on wood. If and when it does go bad, the repair will hopefully be covered by my aftermarket warranty.

Coming Soon: Open to suggestions

grkm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #36
Simann

My Ride: 2006 E46 M3 SMG ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spzhp View Post
I did the same thing. I was looking for M3s and I seen all the crap on here and other places about smg failures an what not. The way I see it is, if you want it, get it. You can't live scared always thinking something is going to happen. I bought mine and haven't looked back. Am I scared of it failing? No. Will it fail? I don't think it ever will. Stay positive and have fun!!!
Amen!

More than likely the SMG failures are due to corroded o-rings or seals. Hence the reason for the failure diagnostic reading "high pressure/low pressure". Probably bits of eroded rubber grommets find their way into the system and plug it up....which would give the car the "bucking bronco" ride as it partly engages and disengages the clutch. Just like if you were pressing a clutch pedal in and out while driving in traffic.

Or it could simply be the pump motor unable to prime the system to full pressure, therefore the inadequate pressure would cause the same effect.
Unfortunately BMW does not sell just the motor separately, just the accumulator.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...74&hg=21&fg=10

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...75&hg=21&fg=10

Since there is probably not that many actual moving parts in the SMG hydraulic pump unit, it has to be something that takes the "pressure". Revert to the Challenger space shuttle accident. Something very inexpensive and cheap to repair caused a catastrophic failure.

-JM
Old 08-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #37
bimmer07
Banned

My Ride: //////////M
Send a message via AIM to bimmer07
if anyone would like to donate a bad pump i'll gladly play around with one to see what i can find. Since the pump can only be replaced as a unit it might not help much but it has alot of advanced pieces to it.

The hydraulic unit is filled with .45 L Pentosin CHF 11S fluid and operates at a working pressure
of 45-80 Bar.
The hydraulic units consists of the following components:
Aluminum Housing
Electro-Hydraulic pump with filter
18 pin electrical connector
Pressure accumulator and non-return valve
Pressure relief valve
Oil pressure sensor
Oil temperature sensor
Fluid Expansion tank
Proportional directional valve for clutch control
Proportional directional valve for selector shaft angle control
Pressure control valve for shift travel cylinder actuation

Hydraulic Pump
The Hydraulic Pump, installed in the Hydraulic unit, generates the pressure required to
operate the clutch and perform gear changes.
The pump is a piston pump driven by an electric motor, actuated by the SMG control unit
via a relay so that oil pressure is always between 45 and 80 bar. Power consumption of the
electric motor is 20 amps.
When the fluid pressure in the hydraulic unit drops below 45 bar, the SMG II control unit
activates the relay and supplies the electric motor with B+. At a hydraulic pressure of 80
bar, the SMG II control unit deactivates the relay.
To ensure there is sufficient pressure when the engine is started, the hydraulic pump is activated
below an accumulator pressure of 45 bar when the door is opened or the vehicle is
unlocked with the key or the remote.
In the event of a hydraulic system failure the gearbox warning lamp is turned on in the IKE
and if hydraulic pressure fails to build, no further gearshifts are allowed. This allows the
reserve pressure in the accumulator to be used to place the gearbox in the Neutral position
when the vehicle comes to a stop.
Pressure Accumulator and Non-Return Valve
The Pressure Accumulator in the hydraulic unit ensures that pressure generated by the
pump is stored in the system for a certain amount of time. The accumulator is divided into
two chambers by a piston, with nitrogen at 39 bar filling one chamber and fluid delivered
by the hydraulic pump filling the other chamber. The volume of the accumulator is 150ccm.
The Non-Return Valve at the pump outlet prevents the hydraulic oil pressure from dropping
when the pump is not running.
Pressure Relief Valve
The Pressure Relief Valve opens if the hydraulic oil pressure reaches 100 bar, creating a circuit
between the suction and pressure sides of the pump, thus preventing further increase
in pressure.
Hydraulic Oil Pressure Sensor
Mounted on the hydraulic unit the Oil Pressure Sensor informs the SMG II control unit of the
current hydraulic pressure. At 0 bar pressure a voltage signal of .5 volts is sent to the SMG
II with the voltage increasing linearly to 4.58 volts at 100 bar of pressure.
Failure of the pressure sensor whether shorted or open will result in the hydraulic unit being
activated for a fixed amount of time at predetermined intervals and after each gearshift to
maintain system pressure.
Hydraulic Oil Temperature Sensor
Temperature of the hydraulic oil is monitored by the SMG II control unit via a NTC temperature
sensor located in the hydraulic unit.
bimmer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:24 PM   #38
FutureMD32

My Ride: 2004 M3
04, 89k miles pump failure
1998 Nissan S14 240sx, powered by RB26
1990 Nissan S13 240sx, 630 whp SR20DET
1995 Subaru Legacy, EJ20R, 410 whp
Soon to have 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0
FutureMD32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #39
silva_m3

My Ride: 2006 m3 TiAg IR
Just bought my first M...06 with 48k. i think it runs good. I did a couple of launches just to see what it had. Now I cant get the car to launch any more. Is this a sign of a bad pump? Also I think it shifts too hard. Its my first M so i dont have anything to compare it to.
silva_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #40
M3 Baddie

My Ride: 05 M3 SMG
someone posted a thread that one of the springs that acctually depresslocated in the unit(forget if it was for gear secection or not) was broken it was a $2 dollar part but it was a ***** to get to. Ill see if i can find the thread, it was recent.