E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #41
dcf

My Ride: 02 e46 M3 SMG - LSB
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Baddie View Post
someone posted a thread that one of the springs that acctually depresslocated in the unit(forget if it was for gear secection or not) was broken it was a $2 dollar part but it was a ***** to get to. Ill see if i can find the thread, it was recent.
That spring is in the trans itself (and there are two of them) not the pump assem. One of the springs is behind a "blind plug" which means, in order to get at the spring you need to drill out the plug! In order to check these, the trans basically needs to come out, as they are located near the top of the rear of the housing way up in the tunnel. I know, I was under there yesterday with my car on a lift trying to sort out my own SMG problem!
dcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:09 AM   #42
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
My car is an 03.5 with 28500 miles on the clock and it is EURO spec. No issues yet! Replaced the salmon relay under recall and software is up to date.
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #43
M3 Baddie

My Ride: 05 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcf View Post
That spring is in the trans itself (and there are two of them) not the pump assem. One of the springs is behind a "blind plug" which means, in order to get at the spring you need to drill out the plug! In order to check these, the trans basically needs to come out, as they are located near the top of the rear of the housing way up in the tunnel. I know, I was under there yesterday with my car on a lift trying to sort out my own SMG problem!

yeahhh that the one! Did you sort it out or it wasn't the spring? What were the symptoms?

what a headache, whats scary is i think im having symptoms of a spring failure
Old 08-10-2009, 11:07 AM   #44
dcf

My Ride: 02 e46 M3 SMG - LSB
Not sure what is causing my car's problem. It is a track car, and the problem only shows up at very high speed, usually in 3-4 and 4-3 shifts, the trans will grind and then not engage the gear unless I try selecting it again. Low speed works fine. Pump primes and operates normally (yes, I changed the relay already and had the recall done a while ago).

I flushed the trans fluid out and saw nothing out of the ordinary (no chunks of metal, just normal minor metal wear particles). I did put in the LT2 as mine still had LT1 in it, as far as I can tell. Maybe that will help.

I do not want to drop the trans now if I do not have to, as that is a big undertaking, and would probably mean the end to my track season (as I do not have another spare $10k trans just lying around, so it would mean fixing this one). We will see if the new fluid helps, but can't tell until I have another track day!
dcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #45
urban_hermit

My Ride: M3
The SMG II hydraulic unit on my 2002 E46 M3 just failed at 84k. Bought the car in Sep/07 and have used it as our daily driver and have tracked the car in about 17 HPDE's over the past 3 years with no launches and the shift speed set at 3 or 4. About 2 years ago the salmon colored relay failed while on the interstate in the middle of nowhere at 61k+ mi. Luckily, on the advice of the previous owner I carried an extra relay. Unfortunately, I didn't have the proper sized metric Allen wrench to remove the cover off electronics box and the screws were so tight the pliers in the repair kit wouldn't work. Fortunately the tow truck operator AAA sent had a large set of pliers and was able to get the cover off. The moral of the story being, buy the relay (PN 12 63 1 742 690) and the 6M hex wrench and don't leave home without them.

The hydraulic unit which includes the pump and accumulator (PN 21532229715) began to fail about 3 weeks ago on a 2 hour drive to the Outer Banks when it started refusing to go into 5th gear and the yellow gear warning light came on. I completed the trip there without 5th. When I started the car to come home, it shifted correctly for about an hour and then again refused to go into 5th gear and again the yellow gear warning light came on. The next day I took it to my local independent shop where they pulled the fault codes FC 094 for a bad pump and FC 096 for a bad accumulator and did a reset. Rather than taking the car in to the dealer and pay $100+ for a more complete diagnosis on their more sophisticated diagnostic machine they recommended I drive around for a few days to see if the SMG would malfunction again or if perhaps the fault codes might have been just an electronic hiccup. Seven hundred miles later the SMG was still functioning normally, so I took the car to the track for an HPDE. As soon as I got on the track the SMG started to periodically refuse to shift into either 4th or 6th gear, but no yellow gear warning appeared on the insrtument cluster. I drove 3 sessions on VIR (Full course) Saturday. As soon as we left the track, the SMG began functioning normally and functioned normally until we got back to the track Sunday morning. I decided to keep particating in the HPDE, but short shift at or below 3k rpms as I do on the road. I didn't even make it to turn one in the first track session when the problem again reared its ugly head, but I kept driving as it seemed no different than Saturday. On the 7th or 8th lap, though, I lost the rest of the gears in quick succession and ended up sitting out the rest of the session off the side of the track until I was towed into the pits. I replaced the relay, checked the fuses in the glovebox and pulled the battery terminals, let them sit for 10 minutes and then held them together to reboot all the systems, however nothing worked. The car was towed to the closest BMW dealer where I've been quoted a repair price of $4050. parts and labor. If I tow the car back, my local independent shop will remove and replace the hydraulic unit for $737 labor and allow me to buy the part from Tischer BMW for $1986 vs the $2900 the BMW shop wants. I'm waiting for an estimate from an independent shop near the BMW dealer to quote me an estimate which if it's around $3000, I'll do to avoid the aggrevation of locating a trailer and towing the car back.
urban_hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #46
IFX

My Ride: AW //M
Sorry to hear^^

Does the 1986 price from Tischer include every componet of the SMG needed?
What exactly is included?
Old 05-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #47
mirob

My Ride: E46 M3
03, 95k miles, pump failure along with other things regarding the SMG, pump was shipped to another member for evaluation...after disassembling most of it, he said that it looks almost brand new, all the seals were good, he's taking the accumulator off next...
mirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:17 PM   #48
IFX

The accumulator could very well be the problem.
As this is the unit that actually holds the pressure.

(Correct me If I'am wrong) Keep us posted!
Old 05-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #49
mirob

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
The accumulator could very well be the problem.
As this is the unit that actually holds the pressure.

(Correct me If I'am wrong) Keep us posted!
For sure...

replaced the pump with a used one, same symptoms, so the actuator will be replaced hopefully this week...if the problem persists, I replaced a bad pump with a bad pump...if the problem is solved I replaced a good pump due to an bad actuator...this is killing me lol...

...maybe knowing how to use AutoEnginuity software would have solved my problems a long time ago...
Old 05-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #50
IFX

To be honest, if my pump went out, I'd probably buy a used one and ride it out.

Does BMW offer any warranty if they do the whole overhaul of the SMG unit anyway?
Old 05-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #51
mirob

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
To be honest, if my pump went out, I'd probably buy a used one and ride it out.

Does BMW offer any warranty if they do the whole overhaul of the SMG unit anyway?
I think there may be a 2-year warranty on parts (don't know if this includes the SMG Pump), but even if they honored something like that, I doubt they would honor the labor portion...they'll get your money either way...lol
Old 05-25-2010, 09:36 PM   #52
IFX

Very true.

Well, good luck on your install dude. Post back!
Old 06-20-2010, 11:14 PM   #53
DjSyco

My Ride: 02 Carbon Schwarz M3
Red face Car left em at work, 56 miles from home

Man, this whole thread is creeping me out, I drove my car to work yesterday since my trucks clutch gave out a week ago, been driving the girls Jetta all week. lol! anywho, on my way out the door heading home, I went to start the car, I throw it in neutral, turn the key and nothing...no accessory lights just my service counter blinks, the numbers on the shift display didnt even blink like usual, no zero, nada, I load tested he battery, nothing, checked the micro switch for the hood, nothing, called Mert, the guys with the sick ass M5, he tells me it could be the key, I had the car towed to the shop, thanks to my coworkers Premium AAA service, I got towed for free, if not 50+ miles at $10 bucks a mile?? **** all that.. anywho, Mike form Garage works said it could be the shifter, I sure as **** hope its nothing too serious, I got enough issues with debt, don't need anymore, but I will keep you posted, if it is the pump.
DjSyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #54
Supergoji

My Ride: Nissan 300zx
i want to buy an M3 with SMG soon but this is detering me. i am mechanically able i just want to be able to move to a reliable sports car.
Supergoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:21 PM   #55
icaci

My Ride: 2005 M3, Comp Pack.
Send a message via AIM to icaci
how much does it cost to convert from SMG II to a manual... it may be worth the investment given that the SMG pump fails every 50,000 miles and the car can last upwards of 200,000 miles if maintained correctly..
icaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #56
IFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icaci View Post
how much does it cost to convert from SMG II to a manual... it may be worth the investment given that the SMG pump fails every 50,000 miles and the car can last upwards of 200,000 miles if maintained correctly..

sell the car and buy a 6mt, the conversion is not worth it.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:51 PM   #57
Mike Ngo

My Ride: e46 m3
Send a message via AIM to Mike Ngo
has anyone seen an smg pump cause issues only with down shifting into 2nd gear?
Old 06-22-2010, 02:08 AM   #58
Tonester

My Ride: 01 LSB M3
Send a message via AIM to Tonester
I had 3 dead SMG cars at the shop last week, 2 left with new pumps... one customer is sourcing a used pump.

I can tell you the accumulator is nothing more than a tank, I've taken pumps apart and reassembled them in hopes of saving my client some money... nothing worked, all of the cars ended up with new pumps.

Platte Forme A.G.
ESS Tuning | Akrapovic | JRZ Suspension
Brembo | Volk Racing | Voltex

Tonester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:00 AM   #59
GoldenM3

My Ride: 04 M3
My 2004 SMG M3 downshifted roughly into 2nd gear specifically. While it was under factory warranty the dealership mechanic told me "it's not as bad as some I've driven. That's just how it is." Typical dealership response, huh? Now, at 67,250 miles, my SMG pump has failed. Luckily it was a slow bug that got worse and not an instant crippling event on the freeway at high speeds like some have reported here. As the pressure dropped too low in the accumulator, it got harder to get the car into neutral for start up. Once started though, it seemed to shift ok. The SMG light came on once the week before the failure, but went off the next time it was driven, so I dismissed it. Same with the "service engine soon" light. Then, when it took my boyfriend and I 5 minutes of messing with it to get it into neutral to start, I decided it had to get into the shop. I was hoping the whole trans needed to be replaced since I have an extended warranty. Nope, just the ridiculously expensive hydraulic pump.

My extended warranty won't cover it (of course!) because they say it's a manual trans and this is part of the clutch. At least I tried. Gino at German Import Service in Simi Valley, CA quoted $3,300 for the new part (only oem available and about $2,400), labor, and computer reprogramming. I did some research and found there are some that rebuild these pumps. I let him know and he thought to call one of his buddies in the M3 racing circuit who, sure enough, rebuilds the pumps since they all end up failing eventually. Now the bill will only be $1,200. It super sucks either way, but I'd rather save $2,100!! The car is due to be done this week, so we'll see how the rebuild works. If you have an SMG, by the sounds of this thread and many others out there, start an SMG pump piggy bank (even if you have an extended warranty), cuz it's bound to go.
GoldenM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #60
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Cab you hook us up with the contact details of the guy who rebuilds the pumps?
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote