E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.71 average. Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #61
ciscokidZ

My Ride: 2003 M3 Cabrio
Send a message via AIM to ciscokidZ
My 2003 M3 started showing SMG fault at 17K, the relay was replaced under warranty. At 24K the SMG failed and had to be replaced as a whole unit (again under warranty) along with the pump (note that they would not put in a new clutch at the time as it had not "failed", so I popped an extra $300 for a new clutch plate and throwout, parts only since they had to put it back anyway in when replacing the trans so labor was covered). Now at 56K, no further problems (yet) but am told by the dealer that the rebuilt pumps "solved some of the issues", not sure if that's true, but just passing it on.

"And in the decades following the second Great world War, there shall emerge an evil such as the world has never seen, he shall target those who worship the Four Wheels. He will inhabit the land of Europa and be known by a name: Bernie Ecclestone" --Nostradamus
ciscokidZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #62
Matt0915

My Ride: BMW E46 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenM3 View Post
My 2004 SMG M3 downshifted roughly into 2nd gear specifically. While it was under factory warranty the dealership mechanic told me "it's not as bad as some I've driven. That's just how it is." Typical dealership response, huh? Now, at 67,250 miles, my SMG pump has failed. Luckily it was a slow bug that got worse and not an instant crippling event on the freeway at high speeds like some have reported here. As the pressure dropped too low in the accumulator, it got harder to get the car into neutral for start up. Once started though, it seemed to shift ok. The SMG light came on once the week before the failure, but went off the next time it was driven, so I dismissed it. Same with the "service engine soon" light. Then, when it took my boyfriend and I 5 minutes of messing with it to get it into neutral to start, I decided it had to get into the shop. I was hoping the whole trans needed to be replaced since I have an extended warranty. Nope, just the ridiculously expensive hydraulic pump.

My extended warranty won't cover it (of course!) because they say it's a manual trans and this is part of the clutch. At least I tried. Gino at German Import Service in Simi Valley, CA quoted $3,300 for the new part (only oem available and about $2,400), labor, and computer reprogramming. I did some research and found there are some that rebuild these pumps. I let him know and he thought to call one of his buddies in the M3 racing circuit who, sure enough, rebuilds the pumps since they all end up failing eventually. Now the bill will only be $1,200. It super sucks either way, but I'd rather save $2,100!! The car is due to be done this week, so we'll see how the rebuild works. If you have an SMG, by the sounds of this thread and many others out there, start an SMG pump piggy bank (even if you have an extended warranty), cuz it's bound to go.
Like others said, can you hook us up with the contact information of the person/company that rebuilds the pumps?

Also,

Has anyone called BMWNA to see where they stand with the SMG failure on our cars and what it would take for them to recognize this as a failed part on behalf of BMW? Just curious....

BTW, I have 04 M3 SMG W/ 88K miles and not a single sign of SMG problems. I replace the salmon relay every 20K miles just as preventitive measures since its so cheap anyways.

Mods - Highline Tuning CAI, Agency Power Exhaust W/Titanium Tips, Powerflex RTAB's & FCAB's, StopTech Stage 2 Brake Upgrade Kit W/Axxis Ultimate Pads & Slotted Rotors, CF Wipers, CSL Half-CF Rear Diffuser, Eibach Pro Spring Kit, BavAuto Ignition Coils, Depo Smoked Corners, Stealth Bulbs, Painted Reflectors, 30% Tint All Around, Blue LED Interior, Tennis Balls, 2009 BMW Wheel Emblems.
Matt0915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:05 AM   #63
DjSyco

My Ride: 02 Carbon Schwarz M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjSyco View Post
Man, this whole thread is creeping me out, I drove my car to work yesterday since my trucks clutch gave out a week ago, been driving the girls Jetta all week. lol! anywho, on my way out the door heading home, I went to start the car, I throw it in neutral, turn the key and nothing...no accessory lights just my service counter blinks, the numbers on the shift display didnt even blink like usual, no zero, nada, I load tested he battery, nothing, checked the micro switch for the hood, nothing, called Mert, the guys with the sick ass M5, he tells me it could be the key, I had the car towed to the shop, thanks to my coworkers Premium AAA service, I got towed for free, if not 50+ miles at $10 bucks a mile?? **** all that.. anywho, Mike form Garage works said it could be the shifter, I sure as **** hope its nothing too serious, I got enough issues with debt, don't need anymore, but I will keep you posted, if it is the pump.
hhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!1, I lucked out.. iT WAS ONLY THE IGNIION T HAT WAS ACTING UP, IT DIDN'T RECOGNIZE POSITION 2, SO IT GOT REPLACED, BUT STILL, WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS SMG failure, we need to get a class action suit going.
DjSyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:16 PM   #64
IFX

My Ride: AW //M
yea, it's easier said then done though.

We need reliable facts, and stats... ^
Old 06-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #65
GoldenM3

My Ride: 04 M3
Call Gino at German Import Service in Simi Valley, CA 805-527-6668
His buddy (sorry, don't have the direct contact) rebuilt my pump and Gino only charged me the $800 cost his buddy charged him and labor to install and calibrate/program. It was all done in 3 days too. From what he said, it is a lot to bleed it correctly (automated system takes 1 1/2 hours) and replace the pump, then reprogram and stuff and he wants me back in 3 weeks so he can check the fluid level and pressure to make sure it's all good and there were no air bubbles in there. The rebuilt pump is working great so far and improved on the car's feel from before there was ever a problem with the pump too. It shifts faster and smoother now and NO JERKING DOWNSHIFT into 2nd anymore, YAYYY!!

Gino is the ONLY one I trust with my M3! He's helped me with a lot over the past year. Inspections are only like $750 there too- beats the $1800 the stealerships out here are charging. I don't work for Gino, I swear, he's just a good guy, true racer himself (check out the car in his shop), and honest mechanic.
GoldenM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #66
IFX

What exactly does he do to the pump? ^
Old 07-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #67
46smg

My Ride: 2003 M3
[QUOTE=gav981;10210193]No more bickering or arguing on this thread please, that will not help it get stickied, I'm just looking for M3 owners with failed SMG pumps to tell us about their experience.

Another victim of the dreaded infamous SMG Pump failure here, 03 SMG (75.5K miles). My car is at the dealer as I write this. Going to go pick it up later today and leaving $3800 with them . I have had the 'relay' replaced in the past, but I knew sooner or later it would come down to replacing the SMG pump. After reading stories of fellow M3ers being stranded, I decided to have it replaced. Also the regulator in my passenger window has failed...and the damn window felt trim! Yes, we all need to start flooding BMWNA with phone calls/emails and let them know that we are not happy with this common defective part!
Old 07-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #68
rhiner

My Ride: 2003 M3 SMG ragtop
me too!

I have a 2003 M3 convertible with 55,000 miles.
Two weeks ago, amidst record setting heat, the SMG dropped out of gear waiting at a traffic light. Again 15 minutes later. Service engine light and gearbox light came on. Sent it to the dealer.. not sure what they did, but they assured me all was well (after $200 or so -- not sure exactly, I had a bunch of other stuff done too unrelated to this.)

Then, two days later, amidst another of record setting heat, the gearbox light came on. I dropped the car off a the dealer and asked them to fix it.

The email came this morning -- needs a new SMG pump at $3800.

ugh.
rhiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #69
ilsunnie

My Ride: 2004 m3
symtoms of smg failur

i have 2004 m3 with 117k miles on it. I recently replaced the gas pump n relay because car just stopped outta no where when i was coming back from work one day. dealer told me that it was the gas pump problem and also need to change the relay. $1,500.00 for parts n labor. that was about 4 months ago. few weeks ago, i was trying to start my car and.. wont start. all i hear is the clicking noise and smg light comes on. so i jumped it and it worked. smg light went away and drove fine. but every morning, i have hard time starting the car. i took it to local shop to check if it was battery problem or alternator but they said battery and alternators are fine. I'm thinking it my be the smg pump problem? or relay? need help. plzz..
ilsunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #70
mozm3

My Ride: LSB E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsunnie View Post
i have 2004 m3 with 117k miles on it. I recently replaced the gas pump n relay because car just stopped outta no where when i was coming back from work one day. dealer told me that it was the gas pump problem and also need to change the relay. $1,500.00 for parts n labor. that was about 4 months ago. few weeks ago, i was trying to start my car and.. wont start. all i hear is the clicking noise and smg light comes on. so i jumped it and it worked. smg light went away and drove fine. but every morning, i have hard time starting the car. i took it to local shop to check if it was battery problem or alternator but they said battery and alternators are fine. I'm thinking it my be the smg pump problem? or relay? need help. plzz..

sounds like a battery problem to me
Old 07-19-2010, 10:31 PM   #71
BradleyStuart

My Ride: 2003 M-3 Convertable
I have a 2003 M-3 Convertable that had +/- 44,000 miles on it when I purchased it. It supposidly was previously owned by Celine Dion's horn player, so I figured the dude at least had the money to maintain the car properly. The car has some sweet mods (forged aluminum wheels, tires, etc.), and only a K & N (FIPK) Cold Air Intake mod to the engine. Everything else appears to be stock with the engine, which I liked when I bought it. At around 49,000 miles the transmission started acting up e.g., missing gears, slipping, shifting from 1st to 4th, etc. I took it to the local thiefs at the BMW stealership and, after they put two, new/used (complete) transmissions in it, proclaimed the SMG Actuater was bad and that since the actuater is physically located on the exterior of the transmission case, it would not be covered under the "drive-train" warranty that I forked over several thousands of dollars for when I bought the car. Consequently, they wanted something like $5,800 to fix the problem, which I'm certain they really actually have no idea is? So I brought the car home, read up on the M-3 forums, replaced the salmon-colored SMG relay and the car worked fine. That is, until I attempted to do a little "Sport mode" driving up in the mountains. As soon as I put it in Sport mode and hit the gas, the tranny immediately went back to what to shifting from 1st to 4th, etc. I had a real interesting drive home shifting from 1st to 4th, or 5th. Nevertheless, I put another (salmon colored) relay in and now it feels like it's slipping the clutch, without a manuel clutch? To make a very long and incredibly frustrating story as short as possible, the car has been sitting in my garage for several months while I try just about everything I can possibly imagine to get it back on the road. It has actually been sitting in my garage longer than I got to drive it! The car went from dream car to total nightmare within 3-months of owning it! And I honestly find it unbelievable that BMW just tries to act like this issue does not exist, all while I still get to make rather substantial monthly payments on the pretty red paper weight in my garage! I agree, A class action lawsuit is 100% warranted!!!!! Anyone interested in a pretty red paper weight? It holds paper down real nice! Other than that, it just wastes lots of money.....total POS, rather have a Yugo, at least it moves, sometimes!

Last edited by BradleyStuart; 07-19-2010 at 11:10 PM.
BradleyStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:46 AM   #72
NorthJersey 3er

My Ride: '03 M3 / '72 2002tii
Doesnt it depend on the speed in which you dump it into 2nd from 3rd? if Im going slow and I just drop it into 2nd wo feathering the throttle it will be a little jerky but if Im cruising faster it will be a smoother transition..

co-founder of
euro techniks

NorthJersey 3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #73
IFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey 3er View Post
Doesnt it depend on the speed in which you dump it into 2nd from 3rd? if Im going slow and I just drop it into 2nd wo feathering the throttle it will be a little jerky but if Im cruising faster it will be a smoother transition..

I personally never shift down into 2nd. It's too tricky, lol. You have to get it just right so it doesn't jerk.

I just let it do it by itself.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #74
NorthJersey 3er

My Ride: '03 M3 / '72 2002tii
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
I personally never shift down into 2nd. It's too tricky, lol. You have to get it just right so it doesn't jerk.

right, but if I feather the throttle down its fine I do it w no problem, my question is that jerking is normal right? not this said smg foresight for failure?

co-founder of
euro techniks

NorthJersey 3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #75
46smg

My Ride: 2003 M3
I spoke to a BMWNA representative last week in regards to the SMG Pump Failure. This person told me he had only been working with BMWNA for a couple of years (lot of good that does). Anyway, I kindly explained to him that this failure happens quite often to the M3 with SMG at any mileage. In fact I went as far as telling him that BMW should read these threads and at least gather some kind of information from us. When I told him how much I paid to replace my Pump he seemed to be overwhelmed (like not knowing how expensive these parts are). I told him about my window regulator, the rear view mirror and the window felt trim. He told me he would forward my concerns and expressed his concerns for my inconvenience. This thread was started back in June 09, but I totally agree we need to flood BMWNA with phone calls/emails and let them know about these types of problems that I feel should be covered by BMW. Oh also, when I took my car in earlier this month the dealership said they already had a Pump in stock...what does that tell you? Waiting for the next Pump Failure?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:43 PM   #76
ILLuSioNz X

My Ride: 03 TiAg E46 M3 Coupe
i bought the car after the pump was changed, and then i had to recently change the salmon relay.

is somebody compiling a list of names?

Check out my for sale threads: Misc. OEM E46 M3 Steering Wheel Parts | (2) H&R 2.5" 650lb/in coilover springs - $85
ILLuSioNz X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:53 PM   #77
scca_ziptie

My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG Comp pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post

I don't have "jerky" shifting or any issues like that when I shift from 3rd to 2nd if I have the car in the correct SMG setting. In town(of course on setting 1, 2 at the highest and sport mode off) it seems to be "happy" when downshifting from gear 3 around 2,500 rpm(making 2nd indicate approx 3,000 rpm after the clutch has completely dis-engaged. On the open road during a spirited drive or at a track day in setting 3 or higher I hardly have to blip the throttle at all. The engine provides a bit of decel braking and shifts are "less than butter smooth but certainly not jerky."

I also found that doing the "SMG reset" (car into N and hold both paddle shifters for approx. 3-4 seconds, then release and put the car back into "drive") at least daily seems to help keep the car shifting smoothly... Maybe it's just in my head.. Either way, happy MMMotoring all !!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #78
jefferino

My Ride: 04 triple black m3
This reminds me of the whole crankwalk thing with DSMs back in the day. You hear all the horror stories but never any of the good ones. I wonder if you did some research on the total number of people who had failure vs. not what it would look like? I sure hope my SMG vert stays working okay as it has 68k on it and I love the car and don't want something like that to make me start to not like it
jefferino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #79
IFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey 3er View Post
right, but if I feather the throttle down its fine I do it w no problem, my question is that jerking is normal right? not this said smg foresight for failure?

it's normal
Old 08-24-2010, 12:28 AM   #80
jonD
Banned User

My Ride: M3
Send a message via Yahoo to jonD
jus trying to kepp this thread alive
jonD is offline   Reply With Quote