E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #161
Jam3s Bond

My Ride: 02 Imola ///M
I'm having a weird issue, I looked all through this thread and many others.

Basically I cannot shift it manually, about 50% of the time it will flash in between shifts for about 10-15 seconds then go into gear, or neutral. Now the funny thing is, the car works perfect in Auto mode, its only when I manually shift that is gives me issues.

I checked the hood switch and it was actually loose, the bracket and switch were not snug, so I re clipped everything in hoping that would fix it but it did not it is now nice and snug, I checked all others doors, all things are closed. Can I zip tie the switch pressed down just to rule out that its indeed closed all the way? I imagine if the switch was bad the car would stay in ZERO while starting like most others do. At first I was thinking that when switching manually the cars weight transfer was making the hood flex a bit and disengaging the switch, in auto mode weight transfer is less which would explain why it works in that mode, I might just be over thinking it though

Im hearing MAYBE a gear identification switch could be the issue? I have a part number for it, does anyone know how hard it is to change?

Last edited by Jam3s Bond; 11-30-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Jam3s Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #162
washington suarez

My Ride: 2004 330ci conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
so today i was driving, my battery light came on. Flashed on and off for about 15 minutes. Then the abs/brake/airbag light came on. Followed by the "gear" light, followed by my radio not working and my windows rolled up very slowly. It started shifting weird, i shifted to 3rd from 2nd, and it went right to fourth instead, was sounding funny, not shifting smoothly. Then the engine began revving itself, not going into gear at all. Turned off, wouldnt turn back on. Had to get it towed, this happen about two hours ago. Really hope its not the pump, but it could be electrical. I had it towed to the dealer so we'll see.
what was the result? Was it electrical
washington suarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #163
BMtroubleYou

My Ride: E46 M3, 05 X5, S4 B6
Gentlemen, Found this issue with my SMG and I fixed it, the problem were while i was driving the gear indicator light would flash at ALL times, when I came to a stop and release the brake pedal the transmission would shift to N and still blink, then I would have to place it back into gear, BUT.....If i kept the brake pedal on and hard the gear indicator would still flash but not jump out of gear, then while driving the COG light would illuminate and I would reset it with my Autoenginuity tool, the other problem that was having was that my PDC wouldn't work, so the fix was both Hood sensors (51237893575), the 2 that are on the front of the car that locks the hood in place. Once I changed those 2 out 2 days ago, no more issues and runs perfect!! PDC no issues!

Previous to this problem, my gears would skip and jump out gear and the problem was the Gear identification switch (23412229792). With all this said I changed the Salmon Relay just in case.

Hope this works for some of you out there!

Currently
04 M3 E46 500+ WHP on Race Gas!
05 X5 E53 4.8is Wife's
04 AUDI S4 B6 Winter Vehicle DD

RIP
80 VW Rabbit
85 Toyota Corolla 1.8
85 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
87 Mazda Twin Turbo RX-7
97 BMW 328is E36 "fully modded" Super charged
99 Jetta
02 Jetta
03 BMW 325 IS
03 VW GTI 20th Anniversary
04 Toyota 4 Runner SR-5
04 Audi Quattro 1.8 Turbo
06 BMW 530i
BMtroubleYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #164
xsxpxhx

My Ride: 2002 M3
My sisters pump om her M3 jsut gave out at 127,345. It was experiencing the gear shifting into neutral and staying there. Cog SMG light would come on along with the SES light. She replaced the salmon relay but that only bought days as it ultimetaly failed. She took it in the shop and awaiting from the Indie to see how much of her life it will cost her...lol....this sucks man. How can german engeneering be so flawed with these problems.
xsxpxhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #165
xsxpxhx

just replaced the smg pump on sis m3....$2900..smh
Old 02-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #166
goosu94

My Ride: z3
idiot dealer in solon today said when the SMG pump goes, they have to replace the whole SMG system plus the whole transmission. They want $5500 in parts alone and $1200 in labor...
goosu94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #167
ranyjan

My Ride: 2003 325i
Once the Hydro pump fails, are there any other corresponding parts that should be checked?
ranyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #168
roadtrip1098

My Ride: 04 M3 SMG LSB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam3s Bond View Post
I'm having a weird issue, I looked all through this thread and many others.

Basically I cannot shift it manually, about 50% of the time it will flash in between shifts for about 10-15 seconds then go into gear, or neutral. Now the funny thing is, the car works perfect in Auto mode, its only when I manually shift that is gives me issues.

I checked the hood switch and it was actually loose, the bracket and switch were not snug, so I re clipped everything in hoping that would fix it but it did not it is now nice and snug, I checked all others doors, all things are closed. Can I zip tie the switch pressed down just to rule out that its indeed closed all the way? I imagine if the switch was bad the car would stay in ZERO while starting like most others do. At first I was thinking that when switching manually the cars weight transfer was making the hood flex a bit and disengaging the switch, in auto mode weight transfer is less which would explain why it works in that mode, I might just be over thinking it though

Im hearing MAYBE a gear identification switch could be the issue? I have a part number for it, does anyone know how hard it is to change?
I would almost think your issue may be with the sensors in the shifter or the paddles. If your Gear Position Sensor goes bad the tranny will start shifting into 2nd to take off and my not use 6th gear. If it drives normal in auto mode I would think it's something with the manual shifting input sensors.
roadtrip1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #169
xsxpxhx

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosu94 View Post
idiot dealer in solon today said when the SMG pump goes, they have to replace the whole SMG system plus the whole transmission. They want $5500 in parts alone and $1200 in labor...

that is the most horrfic BS ever! Thats another example and proves what the dealers are trying to do! go to an inde shop man! For those in the California south region, go to AMB Service Center in Durate CA and ask for Rick. I owe that guy for helping me a lot with the SMG problems I have been dealing with. Tell him that Steven w/the Black M3 sent you!
Old 02-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #170
rr212

My Ride: BMW E60 530i
What's up guys, I need some advice, I don't have an M3, I have a 2004 530i e60 with an SMG. 15 months ago my SMG pump failed at 48K, I spent 3K to fix it. Yesterday morning my SMG failed again, I was driving and it all of a sudden went into neutral, it didn't go back into gear, I towed the car to Bayside BMW (great neck , NY), same dealership that fixed my pump 15 months ago, my car currently has 72K, knowing that BMW cover all parts for 2 years... but my service adviser is telling me I might need a new transmission this time, this is without him even running a diagnose on my car. I'm excepting a call from him this afternoon, and I'm almost sure he will tell me I need a new transmission so they can avoid replacing the pump under warranty. Any advice on what I can when he calls? what questions can I ask... etc...
rr212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #171
Puthuff47

My Ride: 2002 m3 smg
Add me to the list

Hey guys! New to the forum. I have a 2002 m3 smg with 116xxx miles on it. With in the last 2 months I have had the smg light come on then go off after restarting the car. I had funny or miss shifts when the light came on. Now the car is stranded won't go into gear. If it does go into gear it pops out. I have replaced the relay and read countless posts and threads hooked up my scanner to receive a pump pressure code so I am almost 100% positive it's the pump. I called bmwna to make them aware of this thread and my problem. I hope others do the same. If anyone has suggestions on my next step please help. The pump alone is 2566 at the dealership in Ks. I am a pretty mechanically inclined guy. But the bleeding process and it being a BMW scares me.
Puthuff47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #172
Puthuff47

My Ride: 2002 m3 smg
Add me to the list

Hey guys! New to the forum. I have a 2002 m3 smg with 116xxx miles on it. With in the last 2 months I have had the smg light come on then go off after restarting the car. I had funny or miss shifts when the light came on. Now the car is stranded won't go into gear. If it does go into gear it pops out. I have replaced the relay and read countless posts and threads hooked up my scanner to receive a pump pressure code so I am almost 100% positive it's the pump. I called bmwna to make them aware of this thread and my problem. I hope others do the same. If anyone has suggestions on my next step please help. The pump alone is 2566 at the dealership in Ks. I am a pretty mechanically inclined guy. But the bleeding process and it being a BMW scares me.
Puthuff47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:44 AM   #173
meanieme

My Ride: 2003 M3
So I've read every single post in this thread but I've not come across the things we were hoping to accomplish:
1) What is causing these SMG pump failures? Seems a lot of people have gone off and diagnosed the broken pumps but I haven't seen any conclusions.
2) Has anyone gotten anywhere with BMW to acknowledge this problem? Do we need to get a petition going in the hopes that BMW will issue a recall?
meanieme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #174
roadtrip1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
So I've read every single post in this thread but I've not come across the things we were hoping to accomplish:
1) What is causing these SMG pump failures? Seems a lot of people have gone off and diagnosed the broken pumps but I haven't seen any conclusions.
2) Has anyone gotten anywhere with BMW to acknowledge this problem? Do we need to get a petition going in the hopes that BMW will issue a recall?
What I'm seeing is a lot of misdiagnosed problems that then require thousands to fix when most of the time it is an individual component, not the whole system. The issue is that there's not a singular part that causes them to fail, but the fail rate on indivudual parts when combined is high enough to cause a significant fail rate on the system as a whole.

To my knowledge BMW has not come up with any magical cure to solve this, partly because most of the misdiagnosed SMG issues are misdiagnosed in their shop.

The SMG transmission is a sum of a bunch of tiny parts. Obviously it is a normal getrag tranny, which has a clutch and flywheel that can have issues, also has the synchros which can fail, and then there's all the other magical parts that make a normal standard transmission fail. On top of that you have a hydraulic system which can leak, an electric pump that will at some point wear out, sensors that can go bad, actuators that can fail, and then there's all the little switches and gizmos like the brake pedal sensor, paddle shifters. Pile on top of that the stress we put on the system because of our individual driving styles - and please don't bullshit saying you baby your car, if that were the case you would have bought a prius.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #175
alf

My Ride: BMW M3 SMG
SMG pump failure April 24, 2012

I'm new to this blog/thread, but I'm very glad I checked it out. I recently took my '03 M3 SMG to Beverly Hills BMW service after the gearbox warning light came on and the car came out of gear into neutral while I was driving (pretty dangerous).

I was told that the SMG pump has issues and it could be "several thousand dollars" to fix it - they're "still investigating" - which to me means they're looking for ways to screw me out of as much as possible. I'm not sure when the last post was put on here, but I want to see what resolutions exist so I can weigh the options.

Ironically, the day after I took the car into BMW BH, I got an email from their Customer Care department offering a "Total Care" extended maintenance package for $5,200 - I'm wondering, per above, if this continues to be even more of an upsell as it seems my car never has problems until AFTER the car is out of warranty.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated as I'm going to make a decision this week on what to do.
alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #176
alf

My Ride: BMW M3 SMG
I agree with MeanieMe - there is no real response and it seems BMW is purposely keeping this issue under wraps to keep charging SMG owners thousands at a time to maintain their cars. I'm definitely up for pushing the manufacturer on this issue as it is expensive, and very dangerous given how randomly/quickly it occurs.
alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #177
ny-trini

My Ride: 04 m3 convertible
failed smg pump

hey , i have a 04 m3 convertible and my smg pump gave up at 41000 miles and now i dont even have the money to fix the damm thing so the car is just sitting, smh and this is the weather to enjoy the car....:evil ::evil ::evil :
i think i od on the devil,, im jus so mad
ny-trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:42 AM   #178
roadtrip1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny-trini View Post
hey , i have a 04 m3 convertible and my smg pump gave up at 41000 miles
Are you sure it's the pump and not something like the springs, gear position sensor or salmon relay? If you went to a dealer they probably told you its the pump before they even looked at the car.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #179
repryan

My Ride: N/A
This might help....

http://safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners/

Near the bottom of this web page above there is a link where you guys can file a claim with NHTSA. It looks like a few of you already did, but im sure the more the better chances you have of action. It also looks like you can start a petition and get a defective investigation opened up where NHTSA investigates the complaint directly with BMW.. From what i read there was a Problem with E46 taillights and someone started a petition filed it with the above site and BMW released a TSB on it a few months later..

if someone already mentioned this sorry i read about 6 of the 9 pages.
repryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #180
rainrcr32

My Ride: E46 M3
Hi Guys,
I have a 2005 M3 Convertible. I just put 122k miles on it. My SMG pump has never failed as of yet. However i am posting this because my Mbox indicator light just lit up and wont turn off. I hope it is not the pump but from reading all these posts here it sounds like it might be happening after all. Does anyone have hookups on a SMG pump (new or used) and what should i expect to pay?