E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 01:42 AM   #1
prashil
Banned

My Ride: 2000 328ci
End the Cold Air Intake Debate already!

After searching through this forum for info. on intakes, it seems there is mixed opinions. Some say that it actually decreases horsepower because the air that the engine is taking in is hotter, while some say that it increases horsepower because there is a greater volume of air being sucked in. My question is why can't we just do a dyno with a stock airbox vs. one of the many intakes available and see once in for all which is better?
prashil is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:15 AM   #2
SDKmann

My Ride: 01 Cherokee
K&N reports an increase of 10hp and includes a dyno sheet on their site. While Im not 100% sure about a 10hp increase Id be willing to bet that there is an actual increase. They do include a heat shield with the intake. Im sure a company selling millions of dollars worth of product put a tad bit of research into their products to make them work as well as possible and probably know a little bit more on the subject than a bunch of guys on the internet...

K&N provided dyno sheet- http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/57-1002_dyno.pdf

Last edited by SDKmann; 07-08-2009 at 02:19 AM.
SDKmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:37 AM   #3
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
It doesn't decrease horsepower...it just doesn't do much of anything other than make a louder noise.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:46 AM   #4
prashil
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKmann View Post
K&N reports an increase of 10hp and includes a dyno sheet on their site. While Im not 100% sure about a 10hp increase Id be willing to bet that there is an actual increase. They do include a heat shield with the intake. Im sure a company selling millions of dollars worth of product put a tad bit of research into their products to make them work as well as possible and probably know a little bit more on the subject than a bunch of guys on the internet...

K&N provided dyno sheet- http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/57-1002_dyno.pdf
The only problem I have with that is that it is a little bit unbiased. They are trying to sell a product, so of course they are going to say it increases hp.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:51 AM   #5
SDKmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashil View Post
The only problem I have with that is that it is a little bit unbiased. They are trying to sell a product, so of course they are going to say it increases hp.
They also cant lie... its illegal. My doubts about a 10hp increase come from the fact that a car on a dyno (and probably a brand new car on a dyno) is put into a environment to help make the most power possible. Doesn't simulate real world driving.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:52 AM   #6
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
There's no way you gain 10 hp from the intake. Our factory airboxes are already very very efficient. The only time you'd ever see anything at all out of a CAI, is if it's coupled with software, exhaust, etc.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:55 AM   #7
SDKmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
There's no way you gain 10 hp from the intake. Our factory airboxes are already very very efficient. The only time you'd ever see anything at all out of a CAI, is if it's coupled with software, exhaust, etc.
Right, like I said I doubt the 10 hp is found in real world driving scenarios since our cars are no longer fresh off the showroom floor and are not being driven in a garage with fans blowing air into them. I doubt they do nothing though but I will agree that the effects are minimal without software and exhaust.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:55 AM   #8
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
The only real difference I've ever seen in some CAI's is that they can take a larger load of dirt over a stock air filter. What I mean by a larger load of dirt, is that I've dynoed a stock air filter that was run for two races and there is a slight (and I mean slight) decrease in power at the top end.

Here's the reason why I run a CAI:
1. Easier to clean
2. Don't have to listen to drivers complain that I should have a CAI

I don't sell anything and only run things that make a difference or just keep drivers from complaining. I have a feeling that the CAI manufacturers will differ from what I've found out but I expect that. Bolt on performance items are just that, bolt on. If you are looking for real performance, you have to do good old fashioned hot rodding.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
Iceman00

My Ride: E90 6MT
Quote:
Not true. They work, but the real problem is the ECU canceling out most of the gains.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:52 PM   #10
bimmer07
Banned

My Ride: //////////M
Send a message via AIM to bimmer07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
Not true. They work, but the real problem is the ECU canceling out most of the gains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
The only real difference I've ever seen in some CAI's is that they can take a larger load of dirt over a stock air filter. What I mean by a larger load of dirt, is that I've dynoed a stock air filter that was run for two races and there is a slight (and I mean slight) decrease in power at the top end.

Here's the reason why I run a CAI:
1. Easier to clean
2. Don't have to listen to drivers complain that I should have a CAI

I don't sell anything and only run things that make a difference or just keep drivers from complaining. I have a feeling that the CAI manufacturers will differ from what I've found out but I expect that. Bolt on performance items are just that, bolt on. If you are looking for real performance, you have to do good old fashioned hot rodding.

good way to sum it up shelly

if you really must have that oh so cool intake sound just piece together a setup yourself. it will cost a fraction of something name brand and work just as well
bimmer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:54 PM   #11
Naptown Bimmer

My Ride: 05' 330CI Coupe
Quote:
kpeng is right. Think about the way our airbox's are plumbed. There is virtually no restriction but the filter, and it draws cold air from the grill. I took all that into consideration when picking my filter and thats why i went w/ K&N drop-in. It's not as sexy looking, but i like to keep my car sleeper.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
Iceman00

A cone, or circular filter has more surface area to draw air from. That alone is responsible for more airflow. Next is where the air is coming from.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:09 PM   #13
Iceman00

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer07 View Post

Please, you are an idiot if you think otherwise. Which is why Dinan offers a software package just for those who upgrade intakes. It's been like this on OBDII cars for a while.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #14
prashil
Banned

Quote:
Please, you are an idiot if you think otherwise. Which is why Dinan offers a software package just for those who upgrade intakes. It's been like this on OBDII cars for a while.
What kind of software upgrade are we talking about here? Help me save 15 minutes of my life by not having to search and research!
Old 07-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #15
Iceman00

Dinan's single tube style cold air intake claims 8whp, the same gain that European Car got when they tested a 328 with similar style Injen Cold Air intake.
But grabbing a reflash that allow the ECU to take in account the added airflow from an intake would be ideal.

I read a SSC where they showed a RAM style intake made more power because of the intake pulses it let off. Because of those pulses, the car read less air coming in, and added less fuel. In truth though, it's actually more air, and it leaned out the mixture a bit for more power.
The CAI did the opposite, because the ECU read more airflow, and added fuel to the mixture to richen it up. They commented how a custom tune would be needed to take in account the added flow of the CAI style intake vs a RAM style.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #16
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
So, I'm guessing Asbjorn/ESS are a bunch of idiots?

Quote:
Old 07-09-2009, 01:56 PM   #17
Forcefed M3

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
here is my "cold air intake" it adds 400 horse power.. sorry could not resist.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #18
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
stock ftw. Why do you think ESS uses it on their high end superchargers... because it works fine.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #19
Iceman00

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
stock ftw. Why do you think ESS uses it on their high end superchargers... because it works fine.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #20
Stanc3

My Ride: 99' JB 328i
Dyno Graphs show a 10ft/lbs and 7hp gain from my Benfer (BFP) carbon CAI...

I'll take it!..... + it sounds awesome and cleans up the engine bay.

- Albert Einstein
- Chad
Stanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote