E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
mattrpav

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
'04 33ci performance improvement suggestions?

I have an '04 330ci and am looking at a Dinan D760-0402 intake. Dinan's site doesn't seem to have performance metrics for this product anymore, and the new style is a bet cheaper.

I'm considering software upgrade as well, but Turner's is only showing 6-9 HP for intake+software. $600-$700 seems high for that amount of hp increase.

Any ideas on true impact of adding just the intake?

Other suggestions?

Thanks.
mattrpav is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
secono330ci

My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
Intakes wont give much power, maybe 2-3 whp thats about it. Our stock airboxes are actually pretty efficient so it's up to you whether you want to spend the money or not. Use the search function, these topics have been beaten to death.
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
snowcatxx87

My Ride: 04 330CI
A CAI to me only makes the engine louder. You won't feel 2-3 HP, if it even gives that. My old 323 sounded much better with a CAI. I can't wait to get one for my new car.
snowcatxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
Rooz

My Ride: 2003 M5
The "cold air intake" is basicly just a sound thing, Dinan's is the best one "performance" wise, but an intake isn't the best "performance" mod you could do. Also, software won't increase your hp, it will only change when it's delivered. It's kind of like doing a short shifter, doesn't make the car faster, but it makes it more fun.

Underdrive Pulleys would be a good place to start along with exhaust and headers. Want to step it up more, get some ZHP (Performance pckg) cams and software. Also, not sure if you have an auto or manual but you could do a gear ratio swap.

Oh, and next time,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
VIEW MOD LIST & PICS
Rooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
xdmikey

My Ride: e46 cabrio
if you're a 6speed then get a 3.46 diff. your revs at 60 will be 2k;after the change out you will be 2k at 50. not too damaging to your mileage.
if you have a 5speed it will be much harsher on mileage.
most people get a drop in streamline or k&n. i have the old-style dinan snorkel and might get the new-style dinan if the cost isn't astronomical!
we'll see what we'll see after car control school next month.
ps
i also have the dinan s2 programming-much better throttle response.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
Naptown Bimmer

My Ride: 05' 330CI Coupe
IMO cams, headers, and the 3.46 diff will make the most difference you are looking for. Obviously you would want to tune for the cams and headers as well.
I will be going with the ZHP cams, EBay headers, and Active Autowerke tuning.

As far as an intake goes, from my research, there wont be much power difference between a K&N drop-in and a Dinan on a stock engine.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
its tough to to ANYTHING to N/A cars, do the DIFF if anything, but gas mileage will go down (higher rev per mph)
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:59 PM   #8
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptown Bimmer View Post
I will be going with the ZHP cams
If you're going through all the expense of swapping cams, why not do Schricks and get more out of it?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...46-M54-SCHRICK
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:02 PM   #9
Naptown Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
If you're going through all the expense of swapping cams, why not do Schricks and get more out of it?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...46-M54-SCHRICK
Because they are $1200

Not to mention I do all my own engine work so there isn't nearly as much expense as you think.

Last edited by Naptown Bimmer; 08-17-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Naptown Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #10
SexyDev

My Ride: 2002 330i
Send a message via MSN to SexyDev Send a message via Skype™ to SexyDev
Bang for your buck.

1) headers
2) Diff

but for true power look into FI(turbos and superchargers)
Old 08-17-2009, 08:41 PM   #11
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Because they are $1200

Not to mention I do all my own engine work so there isn't nearly as much expense as you think.
All the more reason to go with the more aggressive cams. The Schrick are 264 on the intake versus 248 for the ZHP (both are 248 exhaust). Big difference.

DIY cam swaps without the special tools and getting the timing right as well as not warping the cams can be tricky. Make sure you talk to members "330i ZHP" and "pei330ci" for some pointers before you dive in - it's likely to save you some hassle. It can be done but it's not your average cam swap.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:11 PM   #12
Naptown Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
All the more reason to go with the more aggressive cams. The Schrick are 264 on the intake versus 248 for the ZHP (both are 248 exhaust). Big difference.

DIY cam swaps without the special tools and getting the timing right as well as not warping the cams can be tricky. Make sure you talk to members "330i ZHP" and "pei330ci" for some pointers before you dive in - it's likely to save you some hassle. It can be done but it's not your average cam swap.
I appreciate your opinion about the cams, however I'm just not looking to spend that kinda money. Times are tough and I have a lot of other plans for my money. Plus, I'm trying to keep this car as OEM as possible.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the cam swap. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so with the advice of the members you mentioned, shouldn't be a problem.

OP, sorry that we thread-jacked
Old 08-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #13
mattrpav

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Thanks for the responses. I have read previous posts, but this Dinan CAI is the old "tube" style that supposedly brings more power. The dealer is saying 15 hp (which i know is an overstatement), but I'd take 10 HP for the money. I just haven't seen anything that backs up the claim-- mostly seen 2-3 HP range.
mattrpav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #14
AdamBath

My Ride: E30
Quote:
I appreciate your opinion about the cams, however I'm just not looking to spend that kinda money. Times are tough and I have a lot of other plans for my money. Plus, I'm trying to keep this car as OEM as possible.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the cam swap. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so with the advice of the members you mentioned, shouldn't be a problem.

OP, sorry that we thread-jacked
Whats the point of staying as oem as possible?
Old 08-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #15
SpeedDemon

My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBath View Post
Whats the point of staying as oem as possible?
I'd assume personal preference.
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:04 AM   #16
AdamBath

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
I'd assume personal preference.
Doesn't make a lot of sense, unless he's prepping a track car that has to stay close to stock... Plenty of high quality aftermarkets out there
Old 08-19-2009, 05:58 PM   #17
Naptown Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBath View Post
Doesn't make a lot of sense, unless he's prepping a track car that has to stay close to stock... Plenty of high quality aftermarkets out there

Well you know what they say... "opinions are like ***holes, everybody's got one!"

Seriously, it is personal preference, I didn't ask for opinions on what I'm doing to my engine.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:25 AM   #18
secono330ci

My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrpav View Post
Thanks for the responses. I have read previous posts, but this Dinan CAI is the old "tube" style that supposedly brings more power. The dealer is saying 15 hp (which i know is an overstatement), but I'd take 10 HP for the money. I just haven't seen anything that backs up the claim-- mostly seen 2-3 HP range.
I doubt there is anyway you're going to get 10 hp out of an intake. Companies that sell intakes will dyno the car in a perfect environment in order to acheive increased results. In everyday driving situations you will not be gaining 10 hp.

As for cams, will schrick cams cause any rattling or future problems down the road since they're even more aggressive than zhp cams?

zhp/bmw performance cams from tischer - $600
Schrick - $1200

Worth it?

Last edited by secono330ci; 08-20-2009 at 12:27 AM.
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:37 AM   #19
BMW_Stu

My Ride: HPF 330ci
I just have headers and exhaust and i recently outran a '10 328 sedan with the new direct injection 3.0 and im rollin on heavy 19's with a 2.95 diff and sub and box in the trunk. Pretty good considering how my setup is not ideal for performance at all.
BMW_Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:50 AM   #20
AdamBath

Quote:

Well you know what they say... "opinions are like ***holes, everybody's got one!"

Seriously, it is personal preference, I didn't ask for opinions on what I'm doing to my engine.
Have fun with mediocrity!

Last edited by AdamBath; 08-20-2009 at 09:02 AM.
AdamBath is offline   Reply With Quote