E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
mertz

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Valve Cover Gasket Question & more...

First off, thanks for any info anyone offers up regarding any of my questions, it's greatly appreciated.

I have recently acquired an 02 330ix with 60k miles and I want to spent the next few weekends doing a DIY fluid change/tune-up.

First I am going to change the valve cover gasket due to a small oil leak. I found several good step-by-step guides online, but I'm wondering what else I should consider doing while I have the VC off. I was planning on doing the spark-plugs, but I had also read read something about also changing the VANOS seal? Any tips, suggestions or part numbers?

I am also going to be doing an oil change after I change the VCG. Besides the OEM filter kit and 7qts of proper oil, are there any suggestions of things I might want to check or replace?

Next I want to tackle changing the ATF, again I found a good online guide, so I should be ok, but suggestions are welcomed.

Being an XI, are there any special considerations and/or any other fluids I should consider changing, such as diff fluids etc.

Thanks again for any info!

-Luke
mertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #2
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Luke, welcome.

If you feel comfortable changing your Vanos seals, I suggest you go ahead and do it. You can find more info on the seals on beisansystems.com along with a complete DIY guide and actually purchase the seals while you're there (they only sell these seals, so it is impossible to buy something else. Just make sure you get the double VANOS seals).

It's early for spark plugs to go bad at 60k miles. But it's up to you. If you want to replace them, make sure you replace the spark plug gaskets as well.

For the ATF, make sure you crawl under the car and see what kind of fluid your tranny uses. Then get the EXACT same fluid if you want to change it. Do not flush, just drain and fill.

Any quality synthetic non-LS diff fluid should work on your diffs. Mobil 1 is good, people also use Redline products as well.

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
apollotrance1

My Ride: '02 330i, '05 GSXR1k
I was actually going to make this exact same post!!! Since I have a '02 330i with around 120k miles, I was going to do the valve cover gasket, spark plugs, and possibly the vanos seals. I am taking that changing the oil would be a good idea, since you are already there, even though I did it not to long ago. But I think that would be it right???? Should anything else be changed or possibly looked at or inspected while the cover is off??? Thanks in advance.....
apollotrance1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
mertz

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Thanks for the info Sean. Are the spark-plug gaskets the two additional parts that usually come with the VCG or are they different all-together? Are there any other Ignition components I may want to change?
mertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
You don't need to replace any other ignition components at 60k unless your car suffers from any symptoms. Though I suggest you replace your water pump, as it is usually the weakest point in the cooling system that might cause expensive repairs.

The spark plug gaskets are the plastic gaskets in the picture below that go on top of the spark plug wells. Yes, there are two of them (one each for 3 plugs), but I believe you need to order them separately, unless there is a valve cover gasket set that includes them.

And here is the VANOS seals along with a VANOS gasket:

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gasket, oil, spark, valve