E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
akita328

My Ride: 2000 328i sport/prem
How safe is the car after repaired subframe?

I've been reading up a lot on the E46 subframe cracking and repairing/reinforcing on the web, especially after I got a letter on the class action suit (that's how I found out.. argh. how ignorance is bliss..). And found many scary-looking videos, photos, and repair process on the web and learned a lot. I also looked for any discussion on how safe the car is *after* the repair has been made on a cracked subframe, but couldn't find any. All the topic is to replace or reinforce (as a preventative measure or to fix very bad failures), but none on the condition of the car after the repair has been made.

I'm no mechanic, but a materials engineer, and to me, a fatigued metal that has cracked once spells danger of future failures. One can always find micro-fractures that is not visible to the eye, that can develop or has developed after the repair and fail in the future. and usually after a crash, a "cracked frame" usually prompts people to sell their car after repair, due to safety implications... I understand subframe isn't exactly as vital as the frame itself, but how safe is the car with a faulty subframe that was fixed by welding cracks together or putting new plates on? I just don't know enough about cars and how they are put together to get a sense of what type of failure this is, and whether how detrimental it is to the change in the overall reliability of the car for long term (I intend to keep this car for a very long time)

So I was wondering, after repairing subframes (just cracks or ones that has totally separated), what are your thoughts on how safe the car is to drive long term after the repair has been made. Do we still have to keep looking at it so that new cracks don't appear? Or after once the repair is made, it's considered "good as new" and can go my merry way?

I was hoping to get the opinions of what people on this forum think of how stable the repaired subframe is for the car...

Linda
2000 E46 328i Sport/Premium, Rogue Engineering SSK
..and I think I have a cracked subframe.. will have to get it checked...
akita328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
ttt
phamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:34 PM   #3
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
It better be or else they're gonna have one hell of a lawsuit on their hands...again...

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
i hope it will be fine
ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:07 PM   #5
DiscoStu
Sienna Red Coupe

My Ride: 2013 VW GLI
Its just as safe after it's been fixed. Had mine fixed two years ago and it's still solid as a rock today.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:39 PM   #6
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

My Ride: B3 epsilon
I think as engineers, we tend to over-analyze. Sure what's a few more sleepless nights...but you have a brought up a good pt. If we repair/strength certain section of the frame, will there be other weaker links? The force has to travel to the weakest link and stress out that link. Unfortunately, until we have the actual CAD files and perform a full blown FEA subjected to theoretical road disturbances, we may never know. But one thing is for sure: look to what E46 racers have experienced on the track. Cos what they do on the track is essentially an "accelerated" wear and tear program for street/daily drivers. Case in pt: Turner Motorsports. If you see they have an reinforcement kit, then yes, they did that for their E46 race chassis.

The key here to this subframe issue, IMO, is how it is being repaired. Yes we have heard so much as "a repaired piece will never be like before". But I believe under a watchful and experienced welder, a damaged subframe can be repaired and reinforced to take on further road harshness. Which is why I am very hesitant to bring the car in and perhaps have one of their techs work on the subframe. Because

1. BMW techs aren't trained to be welders.
2. I doubt BMW NA will pay them to go through a welding course. Even if they do, they have no previous experiences.
3. I just don't trust dealers.
4. BMW NA is just doing to get us off their back.

If any, I have already secured an appt with a welder who has race experiences and has worked on race cars.

If I were you, I'd find a well known welder in your area. Get it done once and get it done right. That is of course if you do indeed to keep the E46 around for a long time.

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
Supercharged E46 M54B25.
2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!
Track blog.
Technik Engineering oil cap o-ring maintenance kit available.
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:54 AM   #7
Tim30250

My Ride: '02 330Ci, '09 G37
Send a message via AIM to Tim30250
I received my class action proposed settlement letter a couple days ago also. I didn't read it thoroughly because I was already aware of this issue and recently inspected my car for this damage and didn't find any. IIRC, however, the letter said that BMW would reimburse customers for any out of pocket expense already incurred due to subframe failure OR be able to bring it to a dealer for inspection/repair.

So read the proposal again, but I don't think you have to bring it to a dealer if you have another place that you think would do a better job.

2002 BMW 330Cic... ZSP, 5MT
Mods: VF Stg. 1 Supercharger, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, UUC Sway Bars

Original Owner... 50,038 miles as of 05/19/14
Tim30250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
bmwmike99

My Ride: 1999 323SE
If the crack is longer that 25mm (iirc) BMW replace the boot floor.. At least, thats what i was told and thats what they did with mine.... actually, forward front half of boot floor, and its a new panel, spot welded ( i assume) in place. I would not have been happy with just having the crack welded up tbh.
bmwmike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #9
JK1150

My Ride: 2004 325CI
don't you have to sign onto that class action lawsuit to get the repair covered?
JK1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:32 AM   #10
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
If you're a materials engineer then I wouldn't think you'd need our opinions

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #11
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
The cracking and failure happens to the driverside first. There are rare instances that it happens on both sides but even mine just the driverside(read about why) if you re-inforce the driverside only you will be fine. I put my plates in around 100k miles due to creaking noises. The passenger side was fine and there were no signs of creaking and andything negative for an extra 60k miles.

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to priase you like I should.."
MachRc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #12
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
Safer than before it's repaired

Last edited by franz; 07-01-2009 at 10:03 AM.
franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #13
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
I had both rear driver and front passenger mounts torn out , welded both in myself (drilling a couple of holes and just filling them up).

It's the WELDS that gives , not the material in itself , once the welds give the mount drop down on the chassis which then "tears".

Welding up the taers and securing the mount better than the first time is in my opinion stronger than the OEM construction.

I welded the mounts all the way around to really secure then , then i welded a steel plate about inch thick on top of the welds and drilled some holes down to the mount and then filled it again.

And to add further protection i installed the TMS reinforcement plates
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #14
akita328

My Ride: 2000 328i sport/prem
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
If you're a materials engineer then I wouldn't think you'd need our opinions
well, materials engineer part will say get the part replaced, not repaired.. but then there are always other mechanical engineering considerations that I have no clue (how integral this sub frame is to structural integrity, weakness is only at the mount point and nowhere else, etc) that having other minor stress cracks will have no consequence... and stuff like that, I'd figured the E46Fanatics folks would have a better sense.

if done correctly, the weld should be stronger than the original material... so then the question is, the weld might hold, but what about the surrounding area?

replacing the sub frame if the crack is greater than 25mm sounds like a good thing... although many of the photos I've seen looks as if the cracks/tears are far larger than 25mm!

as for paying third party repairs, I'm not sure if BMW will pay if we go and get it repaired after the settlement... (only if done prior to the settlement, and since the issue isn't "settled" yet, it's a risk to go elsewhere and assume BMW will pay). It's not clear on the law suit claim on that regard. Some of the quotes i've read on the web has been anywhere from $500 to $4500 (few people reporting the high-end quote has opted to get rid of the car...). Number of people have said that the BMW dealer has referred them to a body shop for repair. One would assume they would refer to a reputable body shop, but...
akita328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:37 AM   #15
EDawg

My Ride: :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paddle.Shift View Post
1. BMW techs aren't trained to be welders.
2. I doubt BMW NA will pay them to go through a welding course. Even if they do, they have no previous experiences.
3. I just don't trust dealers.
4. BMW NA is just doing to get us off their back.
BMW techs are not the ones who perform subframe repairs. BMW sources out the repair job to a BMW approved body shop with professional welders.
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #16
jbeastly

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
The cracking and failure happens to the driverside first. There are rare instances that it happens on both sides but even mine just the driverside(read about why) if you re-inforce the driverside only you will be fine. I put my plates in around 100k miles due to creaking noises. The passenger side was fine and there were no signs of creaking and andything negative for an extra 60k miles.
You said creaking noises...I am experiencing some as well maybe some people could shed some light on whether its the frame or not...

I live in a house and when I pull out of the driveway and go over the curb, i tend to start to turn the wheel to back out so one rear wheel will dip down from the elevated curb onto the street first and then the other side. so for that one second where the two wheel are at an angle and not horizontal, it creaks. Then when it levels out, no creaking noise.

Also the same thing happens when I am parked and put the gear into reverse or drive. When I hold my brake with a lot of force...no squeak. If I'm not pressing with all my might, it squeaks everytime I put it in gear or go over a bumop
jbeastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #17
MachRc
E46Fanatic

its quite easy to get over the anxious murderous do-I-have-a-subframe-damage thoughts for the average guy in the garage. Just jack up the car by the rear jackpoint on the driver side..slip in a old rim under the driverside for safety when using the factory jack..please..just in case, throws some tires or something.. really quickly make yourself under the car from the left side behind the rear driverside wheel of the exhuast and look for the circualr piece as shown in the picture you'll find it..

and use a flashlight to check the surrounding..very easy..

and no more fear of subframe, just crappy steptronics.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #18
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
It should be safer than leaving the rips.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #19
jbeastly

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeastly View Post
You said creaking noises...I am experiencing some as well maybe some people could shed some light on whether its the frame or not...

I live in a house and when I pull out of the driveway and go over the curb, i tend to start to turn the wheel to back out so one rear wheel will dip down from the elevated curb onto the street first and then the other side. so for that one second where the two wheel are at an angle and not horizontal, it creaks. Then when it levels out, no creaking noise.

Also the same thing happens when I am parked and put the gear into reverse or drive. When I hold my brake with a lot of force...no squeak. If I'm not pressing with all my might, it squeaks everytime I put it in gear or go over a bumop
anyone got any ideas about my squeaking noises? is this a subframe issue?
jbeastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #20
MachRc
E46Fanatic

Just go check!^ what is asking here going to do? take 10 minutes of your life..