E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
Rene325ci

My Ride: a car
DIY: A/C inline Filter Install

June 12, 2009
I wrote a DIY on A/C removal and replacement just a few days ago and I mentioned the Inline Filter I was going to install in the system to help protect it from any debris left in the system even after flushing. I am now going to give both a review and a DIY for this item.

First a little information on this kit, it is made by Auto Air Innovations of Tampa, Florida. This kit is just what it says it has a 20-micron filter, which stops contaminants from passing throughout your system after a Compressor failure. This kit does not replace the flushing of the system, but instead helps protect the new compressor. The kit comes complete with washers, gasket sealer (for the different common hose sizes). Here is a picture from their web site of the filter this is a cutaway so you can see the filter part.

One thing you should note is that it does have a direction flow to it and second it has to be installed on the liquid line and it is a compression fitting. I mentioned install so let us get to it.

I am installing this on my 2002 325ci and I will again mention you do this at your own risk I am not responsible for your breaking or doing something wrong. This is done as a guide to instruct and help understand the work it entails and is not a definitive install guide.

The first thing to do is identify the liquid line and a good install location. A/C works in a circle and has a liquid and gas side. The liquid side is where we want to install it. I choose the line from the condenser to the drier. It is a nice and easy location place, plus allows easy access to clean the filter if needed.

Note the flow direction and the allen head bolts (6mm). Before you start you need to remove all the Freon from the system with the proper equipment. Once the Freon is out of the system remove the line by undoing the two allen heads.

Take the line out of the car and get ready for the fun.
The instructions came with a ruler which shows how much of the line you need to remove in order to install the filter.

Mark the line with either a pencil or a Sharpie pen and mark the 2 inches that you will remove. I used a small pipe cutter that I have for metal lines (they are not expensive and worth it).

Note: Replace the o-rings on both ends of the line. Also note The pipe cutter and the pencil mark. Once I cut the pipe was cut I went over the cut area with a light sand paper to remove any burs or sharp metal. Remember a piece of plastic/rubber goes over the line and you don't need to damage it.

This picture shows the new filter installed on the line, the instructions that come with this tell you how to put the filter on the line so I did not show that part. I will explain the order of part install on the line. The nut goes first on the line followed by the copper washer, and finally the ferrule. Once they are all in place you screw in the filter to the nut, do the same on the other side. As a note I did not tighten the nut that I marked tightly so I could still move it left and right so I could align it perfect in the car. The other nut I tightened very tight with a pair of 7/8" open wrenches.
Here it is in the car.

Notice that the flow direction matches the flow direction I showed earlier, this is crucial for proper filtering. Do not forget to tighten the loose nut.
Once you have tightned the loose nut and made sure everything is secure and back in its original place do a quick check to make sure the filter is not hitting the frame or that you put anything wrong (such as flow). Now go ahead and get the system recharged.

Here is the filter up and running. I had sprayed some soapy water on all my connections to ensure that I did not have a leak in the system or in my work. No leaks good to go.

I am now going to give my review of this product. I have personally known Scott (the inventor) for about 10 plus years and have memories of his early version of this filter. The early ones went on the actual rubber hose, so you needed to cut a rubber hose to install it. Many Prototypes later and feedback form other shops we have this version that I have installed on my car. I told him I would install one the next time I have a compressor failure on one of my cars, well my compressor died, and now I have it installed. This filter after install made no change to the functioning of my A/C. It does not reduce efficiency or hamper the A/C system in any way, instead if the filter does clog up enough it will allow for by-pass of the filter. I am going to run this filter for a few days and then take it back apart to show the condition of the filter. I did this quickly after install and running and had little to no debris in the filter. I did a proper flush and part replacement so I was not expecting any debris, but even so I had a little bit (can not get it all) this little bit over time can shorten the life of a compressor. Overall it is a simple piece of mind install worth the money. I recommend this to anyone doing a compressor replacement.

Of course any questions or comments please feel free to add them or PM me.

Edit: I know this is a couple weeks after the install that i posted it, I have been really busy. The end result of this install is that the a/c still works great and has lost zero freon. I took the filter apart yesterday and cleaned it. I flushed my a/c really well and it still managed to have some garbage in it, not much but enough that over time would have killed the compressor. I am happy i put it in and recommend this thing to you guys.

Last edited by Rene325ci; 06-29-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Rene325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
ejamin73

My Ride: '04 325i Sport Pkg
Nice

I just can't imagine the world without the smell of burned gas coming out of a well tuned engine:drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp pilot View Post
nice try on the sig you tard. unfortunately, when you click the link you see the actual quote.

you are on a roll with the FAIL tonight. :lmao:
ejamin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
Rene325ci

My Ride: a car
Thanks and the thing still works perfect, nice cold a/c.
Rene325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:17 AM   #4
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
another great writeup
bookmarking

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
Hey,

Any updates on this? I just contacted the company who makes the filters (Auto Air Innovations, Inc.) and the filter is still in production, costs 29.99 + shipping. Just wanted to hear how does it hold after 2 years.

Last edited by Nervous; 11-17-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
76m2002

My Ride: 2001 325xiT
Any updates? Does it still work?
76m2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
I've installed the very same A/C filter as well (see the topic 'A/C diagnostics' in my sig for details), about 3 months ago - still works well, no leaks or clogs. Recommend.
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote