E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Trunk release button and Vorsteiner trunk content

Ok yes I know that the vorsteiner trunk does not use the "trunk release" button that you would find under your OEM trunk handle.... however, would you be able to retrofit a smaller "button" that would fit easily in the same place, re-wire it, and still have a "trunk release" button on a non-handle CSL trunk?

Just thinking about it, it doesn't seem like it should be THAT HARD of a project.... please correct me if I'm wrong...

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
JJR4884

sooooooooo

um. yeeeeeeeeaaaa
Old 05-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Don't see the difficulty to this. The OEM button is just an elastic piece of metal. You can easily replace it with a push on/release off switch
Old 05-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
JJR4884

good to know, hopefully someone on here has done this.....

thank you
Old 05-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
idontknow

My Ride: 2001 330ci Manual!
What's the point in this?
idontknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by idontknow View Post
What's the point in this?
whats the point of you posting something like this? if you don't understand what i am asking, then just leave
Old 05-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
SmoKeNfLY

My Ride: AW ///M3 & SLK350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
whats the point of you posting something like this? if you don't understand what i am asking, then just leave
I have the same question, why not just your keys? I think he just wants to know why you would ruin a perfectly good handless trunk. And no it isn't hard, my friend was thinking about the same project, sourced the materials but decided against it before the drill started spinning.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoKeNfLY View Post
I have the same question, why not just your keys? I think he just wants to know why you would ruin a perfectly good handless trunk. And no it isn't hard, my friend was thinking about the same project, sourced the materials but decided against it before the drill started spinning.
ruin?
in the past 2.5 years i don't think i have ever used my key to get in the trunk... i think if done properly, having a trunk release button would be friggin awesome

every time i wash my car, when i dry it i open the trunk with the handle, i don't use the key or the trunk release, and thats just thinking off the top of my head when i just the handle
Old 05-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #9
SmoKeNfLY

Quote:
ruin?
in the past 2.5 years i don't think i have ever used my key to get in the trunk... i think if done properly, having a trunk release button would be friggin awesome

every time i wash my car, when i dry it i open the trunk with the handle, i don't use the key or the trunk release, and thats just thinking off the top of my head when i just the handle
Sorry, was responding on my iPhone, damn auto correct feature. Anyways, I guess there are benefits to having a trunk release mounted on, depending on how well it installed. You might also get brownie points for the execution if done correctly. Good luck on your research
Old 05-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #10
bmwTuner1

My Ride: Bmw, 330ci
why dont you retrofit the button to be in the keyhole? It would give it a cleaner look too
Old 05-06-2009, 11:34 PM   #11
SmoKeNfLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwTuner1 View Post
why dont you retrofit the button to be in the keyhole? It would give it a cleaner look too
Personally I would shave in the keyhole.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:06 AM   #12
JJR4884

I want to keep the key hole just in case of an emergency.... that is the only non-electronic way to get in, so if i have problems with my battery, i don't want to be stranded

So I checked out my trunk release button yesterday......... when i take it into the shop, i am going to take the "button" off of my trunk handle and see how it is installed. As far as the "depth" of the OEM handle, it will fit no problem. I just need to take out the trunk release button to see what kind of hole i'll have to dremel when i install it on the vorsteiner. Also, it seams to fit very flush, so unless you are completely eye level with the license plate, i'm pretty sure you will not be able to see it at all

i'll keep you guys updated
Old 05-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #13
Safar

My Ride: comes with blow
I'm confused... do Vorsteiner trunk lids omit the trunk opening button?
OEM CSL trunks have the same button, just without a seperate handle.
1987 Suzuki VS1400
1996 Suzuki LS650 Sold
1984 Kawasaki 305CSR RIP

Went from 305cc > 650cc > 1400cc > 2800cc
No prizes for guessing what my next engine will be...

Safar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #14
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safar View Post
I'm confused... do Vorsteiner trunk lids omit the trunk opening button?
OEM CSL trunks have the same button, just without a seperate handle.
vorsteiner is completely flat, no button

so i will most likely be dremelling out the hole and putting the OEM trunk release button in there since it seems like it will fit no problem
Old 05-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #15
SmoKeNfLY

Quote:
I want to keep the key hole just in case of an emergency.... that is the only non-electronic way to get in, so if i have problems with my battery, i don't want to be stranded

So I checked out my trunk release button yesterday......... when i take it into the shop, i am going to take the "button" off of my trunk handle and see how it is installed. As far as the "depth" of the OEM handle, it will fit no problem. I just need to take out the trunk release button to see what kind of hole i'll have to dremel when i install it on the vorsteiner. Also, it seams to fit very flush, so unless you are completely eye level with the license plate, i'm pretty sure you will not be able to see it at all

i'll keep you guys updated
"...it seams to fit very flush..."
You mean it seems to sit flush. Haha j/k, just messing with you bro, getting you back for calling me out. Lets see how this turns out.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #16
Team_Persia

My Ride: '05 ZHP 'Vert - SOLD
I dont get how this is not possible? my friend has the handle-less trunk and it still has the trunk release button?
Old 05-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #17
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
i don't see why you'd need it. i just use the remote button on my key to unlock. or i use the inside release button. i rarely ever use the keyhole.
i imagine you could fit a button, it might be close to the rods/linkage that go to the trunk key lock.
the only time i've missed the handle release is when i have my keys in the car for the radio and use the unlock button. then go to the back and find it didn't fully release. that's very rare though.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #18
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoKeNfLY View Post
"...it seams to fit very flush..."
You mean it seems to sit flush. Haha j/k, just messing with you bro, getting you back for calling me out. Lets see how this turns out.
shut up a-hole
i had a long day at work

wine now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Persia View Post
I dont get how this is not possible? my friend has the handle-less trunk and it still has the trunk release button?
i never said it wasn't possible, but i didn't know if anyone did this or not. After inspecting the release button last night, i'm going to take that off my OEM trunk and try to retrofit it in my vorsteiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
i don't see why you'd need it. i just use the remote button on my key to unlock. or i use the inside release button. i rarely ever use the keyhole.
i imagine you could fit a button, it might be close to the rods/linkage that go to the trunk key lock.
the only time i've missed the handle release is when i have my keys in the car for the radio and use the unlock button. then go to the back and find it didn't fully release. that's very rare though.
i understand, but as i stated before, there are many times that i go in the trunk when i don't have the key on me.... for example, when i'm drying my car after washing it and i need to open it up to dry in there....

also, after hearing that the trunk pops up quickly (since it is lighter) i would rather use the handle that way i'm not 20 feet away when this thing swings up at 50mph

regardless of my reasoning, i just want it to function like an OEM trunk as much as possible
i'll keep you all posted when i start working on it
Old 05-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #19
D4rkkn1ght

My Ride: 323i
i think this would be a great idea...doesn't seem like it would be TOO hard. Having a button back there could save some energy on the battery of the key so you don't have to press it a bunch of times.
D4rkkn1ght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #20
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4rkkn1ght View Post
i think this would be a great idea...doesn't seem like it would be TOO hard. Having a button back there could save some energy on the battery of the key so you don't have to press it a bunch of times.
nah hopefully it won't be too bad