E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 03:27 AM   #101
braymond141

My Ride: 96 M3, 98 M3, 01 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefirefire90 View Post
You may be right on a few facts snce I was basing it off of ollld memory; but I can guarantee you that the wing is different than that found on a CSL. Just ask Kim. She has an s50b32 powered M3 with the Gt wing. Ask me how I know? You may be right, but don't act like how you're acting
Kim bugs the hell out of me with her ratty M3.

There is no E36 CSL it was never given that name by BMW.

M3
M3 Evolution
M3 GTII
M3 LTW
M3 GT
M3-R
M3 GTR
and lastly the single production M3 Compact that was given to Das Auto Sport.

The wings are the same, less the third brake light. The best wing BMW ever produced (and this is pure opinion) is the GTII wing with it's flush mount base to trunk section and third light.

Central California BMW Parts Swap
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1526941747526167/
braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:33 AM   #102
firefirefire90
Banned

My Ride: suce ma bite
Send a message via AIM to firefirefire90
Quote:
Originally Posted by braymond141 View Post
Kim bugs the hell out of me with her ratty M3.

The wings are the same, less the third brake light. The best wing BMW ever produced (and this is pure opinion) is the GTII wing with it's flush mount base to trunk section and third light.

That's your opinin don't take your judgment on a car clearly built for purpose. The wings are different look up the part numbers you are wrong. A LTW e36 is a CSL just named differently. It is a coupe sport lightweight
firefirefire90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:14 AM   #103
MotorWerkz

My Ride: very cheap Yugo
Send a message via AIM to MotorWerkz
Quote:
it's an S50B30US... there's no such thing as an S52B30
  • 95's have weak valve retainers - Not All.
  • 95's have weak suspension points (96-99 had reinforcements) - It's true, but it's still strong, never had the problem for 160K miles.
  • 95's have a less desirable foam and leather sitching design on the seats - It's subjective
  • 95's are generally traded very low and cared for very poorly - It's true.
  • OBDI is currently more favorable for easy power, but the S52B32US is a better engine. - Correct.

Last edited by MotorWerkz; 07-02-2009 at 09:16 AM.
MotorWerkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #104
braymond141

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefirefire90 View Post
That's your opinin don't take your judgment on a car clearly built for purpose. The wings are different look up the part numbers you are wrong. A LTW e36 is a CSL just named differently. It is a coupe sport lightweight
It's a ratty car, and I hugely disapprove of her need to over glorify it and it's condition. If she was a more modest person, then I'd have more respect for her.

It's called a Lightweight M3, it was never given the CSL name by BMW, that was only given to it by people trying to make it something it was not. It was a US spec M3 for christ sake, an M3 GT is far superior, and the M3 GTII blows it out of the water.... lets not forget the M3-R as well.

The wings are the same except the LTW has a brake light, the GT does not. I'm getting tired of repeating myself. It doesn't matter if the part numbers are different, it's the SAME wing with one different feature.

The GTII wing is the only wing with significant changes, even then, the risers and deck ARE ALL THE SAME.

GT Wing w/o risers

LTW Wing w/o risers and with lower wicker bill installed

holy ****... they're the same except one has a brake light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorWerkz View Post
  • 95's have weak valve retainers - Not All. Up until the last months of the 95
  • 95's have weak suspension points (96-99 had reinforcements) - It's true, but it's still strong, never had the problem for 160K miles. Well even 99 owners have issues; it's more or less due to rust and abuse
  • 95's have a less desirable foam and leather sitching design on the seats - It's subjective Bottom line is it's true, there was a revision in the late model 95's to the current design, those are the only that might still look OK
  • 95's are generally traded very low and cared for very poorly - It's true.
  • OBDI is currently more favorable for easy power, but the S52B32US is a better engine. - Correct.
We already went over these points a little earlier

Last edited by braymond141; 07-02-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #105
bmw_e30

My Ride: 2 BMWS
Quote:
it's an S50B30US... there's no such thing as an S52B30

95's have weak valve retainers
95's have weak suspension points (96-99 had reinforcements)
95's have a less desirable foam and leather sitching design on the seats
95's are generally traded very low and cared for very poorly
OBDI is currently more favorable for easy power, but the S52B32US is a better engine.

Lol.

You have no clue what you're talking about.

06' Black Cayman S

07' Silver Range Rover HSE

Member of the Amber Corner Club
bmw_e30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #106
braymond141

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_e30 View Post
Lol.

Actually I do, but if you'd like to have an intelligent conversation about what you feel is incorrect, feel free. Saying I don't know what I'm talking about with no input isn't exactly earth shattering evidence.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #107
Back2Basics

My Ride: is an instigator
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_e30 View Post
Lol.

95' Avus Blue M3

00' Cosmos Black 740i Sport

Back2Basics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #108
braymond141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2Basics View Post
95' Avus Blue M3

00' Cosmos Black 740i Sport

Yep... it generally ruffles feathers in the 95 crowd when stuff like this comes up. But they're the ones who have cataloged the issues and talk about it when the failures arise.

95's can be great cars, just like 01 M3's, they had early faults that are correctable. Some are cosmetic, some are power train.

I never said 95's were complete crap, but sometimes they can be.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #109
beemerfreak

My Ride: 05' 545I, 03' 325I
I'm going to be getting a 95' M3 for $1,300 because the dealer will be buying my Evo for $20,500. I owe $15,500 on the Evo and the M3 is priced at $6,000...

Its got a clean carfax...
But its been repainted
112K miles...
Some rust on hood and the seats are in bad condition....

Here it is on the dealers sight...
http://www.goakauto.com/web/1599/veh...MW-3-Series-M3
Old 07-02-2009, 04:16 PM   #110
braymond141

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerfreak View Post
I'm going to be getting a 95' M3 for $1,300 because the dealer will be buying my Evo for $20,500. I owe $15,500 on the Evo and the M3 is priced at $6,000...

Its got a clean carfax...
But its been repainted
112K miles...
Some rust on hood and the seats are in bad condition....

Here it is on the dealers sight...
http://www.goakauto.com/web/1599/veh...MW-3-Series-M3
This exact car came up on M3Forum a few months back and we all concluded it was fairly junk (in it's current state).

If you notice the extreme rust on the muffler... that's going to be throughout the whole entire underbody, both subframes, and suspension. You'll find that this 6k car will turn into a 10 or 12k car very quick.

That's a 5/1995 build date, which is one of the later models. It SHOULD have the updated retainers (dont bet on it because no one has exact dates), and it does have the updated upholstery design.

The car isn't 1300 by any means. You are still paying 6k for it...

I would suggest holding out for something newer and more well cared for. Having helped hundreds of people with E36 issues, online and in person, I can honestly tell you you're going to regret that car.

For 7-9k you can get a 97+ that was cared for by an enthusiast, private party, and service history.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:21 PM   #111
AfghanScarface

My Ride: Debadged M3
Send a message via AIM to AfghanScarface
Quote:
If she was a more modest person, then I'd have more respect for her.
)
No offense, but the same could be said about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
Either pursue her and risk getting Mono, or don't pursue her,...stay home and use your Mano.

It's either Mono or Mano .... You decide
AfghanScarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #112
braymond141

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfghanScarface View Post
No offense, but the same could be said about you.
When it comes to my car, I'm extremely modest and I never "upsale" it. I'm accurate and to the point when I sell my BMW parts as well. This is something that eludes Kim, which is why I lost any respect for her and her car.

When it comes to certain knowledgeable aspects, what you said can apply. I'm not always right, I'm not always clear when I'm screwing around or being serious either. I've been put in my place many of times, and I have a great deal of knowledge about these cars because of it. There are certain things that do need to be corrected when miss-guided information is presented. Nothing I have said in here has been arrogant or out of place. I made a few jabs at the 95's, but for the most part it's all correct or in good fun.

You used to be cool too a few years back, now you don't even acknowledge me. keep that it mind too.

Last edited by braymond141; 07-02-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #113
DropTopKingM3
OG ///Member

My Ride: All German
Coming from an e46 owner.
Ive owned 2 e36 M3's in the past. Hands down they are one of the strongest M's made. I was a kid when I had both of them (16 and 20). I literally beat the piss out of both of them. For some reason they were a lot more durable than the e46 M3. Although the e46 M3 is definitely quicker, the e36 needed less trips to the dealer/mechanic. Even when I drive an e36 now, it seems more fun to drive as opposed to the e46. Some e36's you come across are old and crappy looking (fogged up/pitted headlights, faded window trim, bad paint, etc). If you find a clean one then you wont have to worry about the car looking too outdated. In my opinion BMW was always ahead of their time with their designs anyhow.

Its not impossible to find a clean unmolested e36 M3. I know a few people who are original owners and have stashed away their M3's for the past 14 years or so. You just gotta keep looking until you find the right one.

EDIT.
Heres a pic of my 2nd e36. This pic was taken around April 2000. I had the mouldings at the body shop getting sprayed.

Other pics I have saved. (Not mine)

^Don't say my car is topless, say the t!tties is out^

Last edited by DropTopKingM3; 07-02-2009 at 04:51 PM.
DropTopKingM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #114
AfghanScarface

My Ride: Debadged M3
Send a message via AIM to AfghanScarface
Quote:
When it comes to my car, I'm extremely modest and I never "upsale" it. I'm accurate and to the point when I sell my BMW parts as well. This is something that eludes Kim, which is why I lost any respect for her and her car.

When it comes to certain knowledgeable aspects, what you said can apply. I'm not always right, I'm not always clear when I'm screwing around or being serious either. I've been put in my place many of times, and I have a great deal of knowledge about these cars because of it. There are certain things that do need to be corrected when miss-guided information is presented. Nothing I have said in here has been arrogant or out of place. I made a few jabs at the 95's, but for the most part it's all correct or in good fun.

You used to be cool too a few years back, now you don't even acknowledge me. keep that it mind too.
Well let me clear up a few things then.

I'm not talking about your car or your sales, i'm referring to the way you talk to people and express your opinions.

Like the other guy said, you may be knowledgeable and right about a lot of things but the way you express your opinions and present said knowledge makes you look.. well... like a pompous jerk. If you need a point of reference look at kpeng. He actually contributes a lot of valuable information to the forum but he acts like a douche, puts people down and insists upon himself which is why nobody likes him. You also have an awful lot of negative things to say about other people's cars from what I have seen on various showroom threads, along with this one of course. I understand some of it is truth and that some peoples' cars are downright fugly/buckets but you seem to hold everybody to a very high standard.

I mean its cool you built your car from the ground up back to OEM specs, I had much respect for you after that, but that doesn't mean we're all as good or as knowledgeable as you and you COULD be a little more tactful when addressing others.

As for not acknowledging you goes, you got that backwards. I pm'd you a few months back asking your opinion on a replacement hood and never got a reply even though you were posting around here all the time. I figured you were too cool/busy to acknowledge me or that my lowly '95 wasn't genuine or OEM enough for you to consult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
Either pursue her and risk getting Mono, or don't pursue her,...stay home and use your Mano.

It's either Mono or Mano .... You decide
AfghanScarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:37 PM   #115
braymond141

Quote:
Well let me clear up a few things then.

I'm not talking about your car or your sales, i'm referring to the way you talk to people and express your opinions.

Like the other guy said, you may be knowledgeable and right about a lot of things but the way you express your opinions and present said knowledge makes you look.. well... like a pompous jerk. If you need a point of reference look at kpeng. He actually contributes a lot of valuable information to the forum but he acts like a douche, puts people down and insists upon himself which is why nobody likes him. You also have an awful lot of negative things to say about other people's cars from what I have seen on various showroom threads, along with this one of course. I understand some of it is truth and that some peoples' cars are downright fugly/buckets but you seem to hold everybody to a very high standard.

I mean its cool you built your car from the ground up back to OEM specs, I had much respect for you after that, but that doesn't mean we're all as good or as knowledgeable as you and you COULD be a little more tactful when addressing others.

As for not acknowledging you goes, you got that backwards. I pm'd you a few months back asking your opinion on a replacement hood and never got a reply even though you were posting around here all the time. I figured you were too cool/busy to acknowledge me or that my lowly '95 wasn't genuine or OEM enough for you to consult
Well see that's the problem right there. This entire time i've been posting in here I've been goofing around. I guess I need to use more smilies. Nothing I have said was ever implied to be stern... well maybe repeating myself for the third time on the GT wing and Kim's car.

I have opinions about stupid things, and give praise when I see great things. You never mentioned that.

I did not see your PM or forgot about it. I avoided all forums for awhile and turned off PM's as well. You'll also notice all my guides are gone... I really put too much time into helping other people and it was hurting me financially. I cut that all out and I'm way in the green now.

If you'd like to ask me any questions in the future, call or text me: 949-500-8493. As long as you're respectful of my time, I'll help out.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #116
beemerfreak

Quote:
This exact car came up on M3Forum a few months back and we all concluded it was fairly junk (in it's current state).

If you notice the extreme rust on the muffler... that's going to be throughout the whole entire underbody, both subframes, and suspension. You'll find that this 6k car will turn into a 10 or 12k car very quick.

That's a 5/1995 build date, which is one of the later models. It SHOULD have the updated retainers (dont bet on it because no one has exact dates), and it does have the updated upholstery design.

The car isn't 1300 by any means. You are still paying 6k for it...

I would suggest holding out for something newer and more well cared for. Having helped hundreds of people with E36 issues, online and in person, I can honestly tell you you're going to regret that car.

For 7-9k you can get a 97+ that was cared for by an enthusiast, private party, and service history.
I am getting the car for $5,500 I saw it in person today but didnt get to drive it because the dealer was replacing the ignition...

If I do purchase it the car will cost me $5,500... We are going to get the car on a lift tomorrow after I get to test drive it...

My father is a mechanic and his buddy owns a wholesale company that sales German car parts to mechanic shops... So I am taking that into consideration... Basically I can get parts for a fraction of the price of what mechanic shops get them for...
Old 07-02-2009, 06:00 PM   #117
beemerfreak

Quote:
Well see that's the problem right there. This entire time i've been posting in here I've been goofing around. I guess I need to use more smilies. Nothing I have said was ever implied to be stern... well maybe repeating myself for the third time on the GT wing and Kim's car.

I have opinions about stupid things, and give praise when I see great things. You never mentioned that.

I did not see your PM or forgot about it. I avoided all forums for awhile and turned off PM's as well. You'll also notice all my guides are gone... I really put too much time into helping other people and it was hurting me financially. I cut that all out and I'm way in the green now.

If you'd like to ask me any questions in the future, call or text me: 949-500-8493. As long as you're respectful of my time, I'll help out.
Also can you link me to the thread about this M3 from M3forum???
Old 07-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #118
braymond141

Quote:
I am getting the car for $5,500 I saw it in person today but didnt get to drive it because the dealer was replacing the ignition...

If I do purchase it the car will cost me $5,500... We are going to get the car on a lift tomorrow after I get to test drive it...

My father is a mechanic and his buddy owns a wholesale company that sales German car parts to mechanic shops... So I am taking that into consideration... Basically I can get parts for a fraction of the price of what mechanic shops get them for...
That's good you have those two resources.

Since I can't talk you out of it based on the pics, don't be afraid to walk away from the car pending the undercarriage. Really take into account how much money this is going to cost you in the long run vs how much extra it would cost to just find a better one to begin with.

Quote:
Also can you link me to the thread about this M3 from M3forum???
I really can't even begin to remember where it came up in discussion. I'm fairly certain it was in one of our E36 OT sections which get deleted every other month due to thread length.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #119
beemerfreak

Quote:
That's good you have those two resources.

Since I can't talk you out of it based on the pics, don't be afraid to walk away from the car pending the undercarriage. Really take into account how much money this is going to cost you in the long run vs how much extra it would cost to just find a better one to begin with.

I really can't even begin to remember where it came up in discussion. I'm fairly certain it was in one of our E36 OT sections which get deleted every other month due to thread length.
Thanks for the info bro....
Old 07-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #120
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Quote:
you look.. well... like a pompous jerk. If you need a point of reference look at kpeng. He actually contributes a lot of valuable information to the forum but he acts like a douche, puts people down and insists upon himself which is why nobody likes him.

Thanks for the shoutout

kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote