E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 10:01 PM   #21
Devas

My Ride: 2011 E90 M3
But it doesn't say E46, jsut says E46 CSL, so im assuming that it only fits what it states.
Devas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:28 AM   #22
gaery85

My Ride: 2002 BMW 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi its me alec View Post
Steel wool or mild sandpaper will do the trick. If it's hard to get in there with your fingers, wrap some sandpaper around the end of a pencil and tape it together, then you can be more precise with it. It just happens when corrosion builds up between the metals and disrupts the electrical current.
Agree with this 100%, but in my case, I just use flat screwdriver & just scratch the whole green areas, works well!
gaery85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:13 AM   #23
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devas View Post
Do you have the housing just regular 2005 E46 Sedans? Cause it says it only fits CSL
We can source them for the regular E46 no problem.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #24
Devas

My Ride: 2011 E90 M3
When you do can you please PM me? or let me know some how?
Devas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #25
keepinitsimple
Banned

My Ride: 325ci
Ya this reminds me that I have to buy a whole new assembly. haha, yet another project
keepinitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:34 PM   #26
aerodmb

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Where do I go to paint a part like the one below? I'm in Charlotte, NC.

Part # 51 13 8 244 714 Trunk Lid Grip with Key Button (for my 2001 330ci)
aerodmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #27
yonmoor

My Ride: Handbasket
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatvr6prik View Post
Had the exact same issue, ended up getting the new one from Tischer and got it painted from another 50$ (if you get it painted make sure you get it matched as color will be off after 5 years of beating the OE paint has taken). You need part # 13 (not #1 as you stated).

In my case while trying to clean the contacts, they were so brittle, that one bulb holder literally broke into pieces while i tried electrical contact cleaner with a small brush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piesfinder View Post
You have to replace the entire trunk handle part....and paint it. I think the part costs about $75ish. I got it painted for $20.
Just out of curiosity, why are you guys painting the new piece instead of just using the existing one over?
yonmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #28
aahmed2016

My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP/CP/PP
Happened to me. Just take the ghetto route. Remove the trunk lid handle, and try to sand them a bit, just to get the rust off. it'll work for the time being, but it is much easier to get new contacts/ handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Spends $2000 on car DVD + stereo -> Running 25000 mile oil changes and 87 gas with blown shocks
aahmed2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #29
Gepetto

My Ride: 2004 325i
Is this a difficult job to do yourself? Both my plate bulbs are out and the housing is rusted, and the key button doesn't work either.
Gepetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #30
Slick-Vic

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3 Tiag
Anyone have a solution for this? I dont want to buy the whole trunk lid just because from the wire to the metal prongs are rusted threw. Looks like I will have to cut off the curroded wire and test for power. Driver side bulb has 4 wires, passenger side has 3, it doesnt make sense to me how the wiring goes? Need some help. Hard to find the metal clips that are soldered onto the wire. the smallest ones I can find are still too big. Is there a led kit available for me to connect right from the wires and replace that whole rusted casing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rust.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	530612  

CF TMS cold air intake/UUC Rasp-x section I/StopTech stage II brake kit slotted rotors, SS brake lines/3 pc. AC Schnitzer rear spoiler/CF rear diffuser/Iforged Aeros 19x8.5x10/Smoked corners/Smoked EE LED tails/Matte Black kidney grills/Matte Black gills/Painted reflectors
Slick-Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:25 AM   #31
Slick-Vic

Help me fix this problem!!!! Last thing I need to do to pass inpsection. I had a headlight out, turns out to be a ignitor seeing i had my headlights in pieces I finally got around to installing some angel eyes : ) Any ideas on fixing my rear licence plate bulbs?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	angel eyes.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	530615  

CF TMS cold air intake/UUC Rasp-x section I/StopTech stage II brake kit slotted rotors, SS brake lines/3 pc. AC Schnitzer rear spoiler/CF rear diffuser/Iforged Aeros 19x8.5x10/Smoked corners/Smoked EE LED tails/Matte Black kidney grills/Matte Black gills/Painted reflectors
Old 10-13-2013, 12:28 AM   #32
Gepetto

My Ride: 2004 325i
Hey Sick-Vic, the only real solution is to get a new trunk lid lip (the piece that contains the plate lights and the button for opening the trunk when the doors are open). You can get it at a fair price at a bunch of online dealers (I used BMW South Atlanta). And, it's a fairly easy install (less than 1 hour) and you should be able to reuse the wires that are inside the trunk lid - those never rust out. Once you're done, it'll be as good as new. There's a post somewhere on the forum of someone doing it with pictures and other advice. But, it's fairly simple procedure.
Gepetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #33
Slick-Vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gepetto View Post
Hey Sick-Vic, the only real solution is to get a new trunk lid lip (the piece that contains the plate lights and the button for opening the trunk when the doors are open). You can get it at a fair price at a bunch of online dealers (I used BMW South Atlanta). And, it's a fairly easy install (less than 1 hour) and you should be able to reuse the wires that are inside the trunk lid - those never rust out. Once you're done, it'll be as good as new. There's a post somewhere on the forum of someone doing it with pictures and other advice. But, it's fairly simple procedure.
Hey Gepetto,

If you see in my first picture the metal prongs that come from the wires 2 out of the 4 are rusted threw. Plus the plate lights that you are referring too, one of them is rusted thrrew as well. Even if I replace the trunk lid I still have to fix the wiring to plug it into the piece that contains the plate lights.