E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
GodsSon

My Ride: 325i
Lock Beep DIY............GodsSon

This DIY is for people who want to hear a beep when they lock their E46 BMW's instead of just watching to see if a light flashes! This could be achieved by installing an alarm system....but I just didnt want too. So for those of you who don't want an alarm system but do want the beep and dont want to spend more than $50...THIS IS FOR YOU!

Special Thanks to Mark York, DANe46 and KPTechnologies.

PARTS:
  • KPTechnologies Electronic Lock Beep Module..... $40 +tax&shipping
  • Voltmeter
  • WireTaps

The KPTechnologies Module is a universal car Lock/Unlock electronic beep that sounds like the Lexus vehicles beep. The installation instructions can be found at their website http://kptechnologies.com/products.php#/9 or by clicking the following link; INSTALLATION MANUAL. If you want to hear how the beep sounds, heres a link to a YouTube Demo.

Here is what the actual module package looks like!

CONNECTIONS LIST:
  1. RED - 12VDC CONSTANT POWER
    1. Connect this wire to a source that reads 12 volts at all times.
  2. YELLOW - 12VDC IGNITION POWER
    1. Connect this wire to a source that reads 12 volts only when the ignition switch is in the 'ON' position.
  3. BLACK - GROUND
    1. Connect this wire to a constant ground.
  4. ORANGE - PARKING LIGHT OUTPUT
    1. This wire outputs a (-) 200mA signal that is capable of driving a relay that can be connected to the parking lights.
  5. GREEN - DOOR UNLOCK MOTOR INPUT
    1. Connect this wire to the wire that controls the door unlock motor. This wire will read 'open leg' (floating/No connection) until the door is unlocked. Upon receiving an unlock command this wire will read 12 volts for a brief period.
  6. BLUE - DOOR LOCK MOTOR INPUT
    1. Connect this wire to the wire that controls the door lock motor. This wire will read 'open leg' (floating/No connection) until the door is unlocked. Upon receiving an unlock command this wire will read 12 volts for a brief period.
  7. RED (TWISTED)- BEEPER POWER
    1. Connect this wire to the red twisted wire that goes to the beeper under the hood.
  8. BLACK (TWISTED) - BEEPER CONTROL
    1. Connect this wire to the black twisted wire that goes to the beeper under the hood.

STEP 1: RED & BLACK - 12VDC CONSTANT POWER / GROUND

Half of the connections that need to be made for this mod are located behind the glovebox, so the first step is to remove the glovebox. For those of you who don't already know how to do this the above pic points to the screws needed to be removed.

I started by removing the rubber grommet separating the interior from the engine bay and running the RED, BLACK and TWISTED RED/BLACK cables through. As seen in the above pic position B is the +'ve 12Volt connection that the RED wire connects to. Position C is the Ground that I connect the BLACK wire to. Position A is where the grommet was removed from.

BlackBerry Owner? David is a Wireless Usage Monitor that can track your wireless bill in real time from your blackberry! Available on Blackberry AppWorld... more info
____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________

STEP 2: YELLOW - 12VDC IGNITION POWER

The above pics show the installation of the Yellow Wire. This wire is suppose to connect to a source that's 12 volts high only when the ignition is on. with a tip from DANe46 I investigated the Cigarette Lighter Fuse. A map of the fuse box is shown below. For some reason I didnt see the behaviour i was looking for from the fuse in position 47 but the fuse in position 26 worked perfectly. I tested the behaviour by creating my own fuse tap (but you can purchase your own...if you like wasted cash) I connected the end of the fuse tap to the +'ve connection of a voltmeter and then connected the -'ve end to the ground of the glovebox light (has to be on to work). when connected the voltmeter reads 0 but when the ignition is turned on the meter jumps to 12 volts and remains there until the ignition is turned off. This connection is needed to prevent the beep from sounding when the car is running!

BlackBerry Owner? David is a Wireless Usage Monitor that can track your wireless bill in real time from your blackberry! Available on Blackberry AppWorld... more info
____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________

STEP 3: ORANGE - PARKING LIGHT OUTPUT
The BMW E46 already flashes its lights once for lock and twice for unlock. Therefore this cord is not needed! I simply folded this cord up and tucked it away.

STEP 4: GREEN & BLUE - DOOR UNLOCK / LOCK MOTOR INPUT

The green wire is to be connected to the door unlock motor wire while the blue wire is to be connected to the door lock motor wire. As you can see from the above pictures, the connections were made using wiretaps. The locations of the required wires are in the General Module 5 (GM5) located right under the fuse box also behind the glove box. A wire schematic of this module can be found here at BMW GM5 (bmwgm5.com). The two wires are located coming out of the X253 (54 PIN) connector and are labeled as below:
13 - Driver's Door Lock Motor, Lock - 0.75 WS
51 - Driver's Door Lock Motor Common, Unlock - 0.75 BL
Therefore the Door Lock motor is a WHITE cable and is to be tapped with the BLUE cable from the kit. However as always this is just in theory and you should test this out with a voltmeter as colors can change. As before, I attached the ground of my voltmeter to the ground of the glovebox light (when on!) and the +'ve connector to the proposed WHITE door lock wire. The voltage should read zero until you press the lock button. Then you should see a spike in the voltmeter to 12 volts momentarily and then drop back to 0. If you observe this behaviour you found the right wire! now tap it.

Again the Door UnLock motor is a BLUE cable and is to be tapped with the GREEN cable from the kit. Again this is just in theory and you should test this out with a voltmeter as colors can change. Again, I attached the ground of my voltmeter to the ground of the glovebox light (when on!) and the +'ve connector to the proposed BLUE door lock wire. The voltage should read zero until you press the unlock button. Then you should see a spike in the voltmeter to 12 volts momentarily and then drop back to 0. If you observe this behaviour you found the right wire! tap that wire too.

More Pics of the voltmeter setup are shown below!

After these wires are connected, test your setup by first locking the car using the remote. You should hear the single beep. Now unlock the car using the remote. You should hear two beeps. Now turn on the ignition. Repeat the preceeding test steps only this time you shouldn't hear any beeps. If you passed these test steps your done, otherwise you messed up somewhere! If you passed however clean up as shown below and close up shop.

STEP 5: RED & BLACK (TWISTED)- BEEPER POWER/CONTROL

The above picture shows the location where I attached the actual beeper. I thought this was a good location because it was away from heat and water sources plus the empty compartement provides a good "echo chamber" to magnify the sound of the beep. I sealed the areas around the screws with silicone sealant just to be safe.

Really you can place the beeper anywhere you want this is just where I chose to attach it. Similiarly many of the connections I made in this DIY could probably be made to other locations, however I found these locations to work fine for me so I ran with them, take what you want leave the rest on the floor! Happy DIY!

oh yea and ERTW!

Last edited by GodsSon; 07-01-2009 at 10:28 PM.
GodsSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
ejamin73

My Ride: '04 325i Sport Pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsSon View Post

STEP 3: ORANGE - PARKING LIGHT OUTPUT
The BMW E46 already flashes its lights once for lock and twice for unlock. Therefore this cord is not needed! I simply folded this cord up and tucked it away.

Nice
Mine doesn't flash the lights. Where do I connect this wire?

I just can't imagine the world without the smell of burned gas coming out of a well tuned engine:drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp pilot View Post
nice try on the sig you tard. unfortunately, when you click the link you see the actual quote.

you are on a roll with the FAIL tonight. :lmao:
ejamin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
GodsSon

Hi ejamin73, I never had to mess with that cable so I'm not entirley sure where it would connect to but the instructions say
Quote:
This wire outputs a (-) 200mA signal that is capable of driving a relay that can be connected to the parking lights.
so my first guess would be connect it to the relay that controls the corner lights. Im not sure where that is however! In my ten minutes of searching I found where they could be? Check above the GM5 also behind the glove box.

check out this thread as a good start http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...eadlight+relay
Old 07-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
ejamin73

My Ride: '04 325i Sport Pkg
Thanks!!

I just can't imagine the world without the smell of burned gas coming out of a well tuned engine:drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp pilot View Post
nice try on the sig you tard. unfortunately, when you click the link you see the actual quote.

you are on a roll with the FAIL tonight. :lmao:
ejamin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
JetBlackE46
Modded

My Ride: E36/E46 M3 E46 323
That's cool but is there a reason why you don't want to have the factory alarm?
Old 07-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #6
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
couldn't you just buy the OEM alarm horn only and then just plug it in? i think it might work. it just have the alarm part because there are no sensors.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #7
Chad e46

My Ride: 99 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlackE46 View Post
That's cool but is there a reason why you don't want to have the factory alarm?
money :duno:
Old 07-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
GodsSon

Well personally I'm not afraid of someone stealing my car so I find the factory alarm useless. and sometimes I forget whether i saw the light flash so I'm not sure whether my doors are actually locked. Besides people are so used to hearing car alarms that their insensitive to them now. Think about it, the last time you heard a car alarm did you do your civic duty / neighbourhood watch gig and find out what was happening. I didn't, I didn't even care, actually i think i was annoyed it was so loud!

I actually want to get a vision based alarm so I can catch the a**holes who scratch my ride. The vision based alarms are expensive though so until I'm ready for that installation I just want my car to beep when I lock it! and not that annoying horn beep either, I want that smooth electronic Lexus beep! Is that too much to ask!
Old 07-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #9
sillieidiot

lol i want a vision based alarm as well. so much money for that. the beep doesn't help that much more. cause sometimes i still forget so i have to look for the interior light coming on lol

Old 07-05-2009, 07:26 AM   #10
shorty101

i like this kit but it seems whoever put it together didnt do it well enough... the lights and beep dont sync up at the 2nd beep if there was a way to fix this i might get it
shorty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #11
KPierson

My Ride: Infiniti G35
Why would it matter if the lights and beep sync up? I would think if they did sync up either the audible beeps would sound funny (too much time between them) or the light flashes would be too short to see from a long distance.
KPierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:23 PM   #12
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
couldn't you just buy the OEM alarm horn only and then just plug it in? i think it might work. it just have the alarm part because there are no sensors.
Yes you can. I bought the OEM siren off Ebay and it was pretty cheap. Plug and play. I can now get the sensors when I see a good deal one at a time used. My clown nose was enabled so the lights flash, I plugged in the used OEM siren....beep works. Even panic button works if you hold it down...alarm goes off. Kudos to the OP, but looks like more work than buying a PNP used siren. Just my experience with this issue.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #13
shorty101

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPierson View Post
Why would it matter if the lights and beep sync up? I would think if they did sync up either the audible beeps would sound funny (too much time between them) or the light flashes would be too short to see from a long distance.
cause all of the other alarm systems do this... just personal preference
Old 07-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #14
shorty101

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcus View Post
Yes you can. I bought the OEM siren off Ebay and it was pretty cheap. Plug and play. I can now get the sensors when I see a good deal one at a time used. My clown nose was enabled so the lights flash, I plugged in the used OEM siren....beep works. Even panic button works if you hold it down...alarm goes off. Kudos to the OP, but looks like more work than buying a PNP used siren. Just my experience with this issue.
so just by adding the oem siren (and of course getting the clown nose and blink activated) will enable a unlock beep tone? ill have to look into that.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #15
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty101 View Post
so just by adding the oem siren (and of course getting the clown nose and blink activated) will enable a unlock beep tone? ill have to look into that.
Yes it will, I can vouch for that 100%......and you can add the other parts cheap. I used the alarm install DIY to add the siren. Pretty easy once you get the cabin microfilter out of the way. Just plugged it into the OEM wires. Have to get the clown nose enabled first so the lights work. Not to thread crap on the OP, what he did was pretty cool. I just wanted the OEM route so I can buy the other sensors when I found them cheap. Normally Ebay has BMW sirens from time to time.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #16
sillieidiot

that's good to know. to me that's a more sensible approach lol

Old 07-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #17
throttlehead

My Ride: 330i Imola ZHP 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty101 View Post
my 04 330i ZHP clown nose activates without sound when i lock the doors? in fact i have never even heard my alarm?

maybe i should try and break in some how to see if i have one
throttlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #18
ramjee

My Ride: Bmw 320i
hey guys
i got the oem alarm system , clown nose etc... but no beep when i lock the car... only the lights flash when i lock, no flash when unlock...
ramjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #19
JetBlackE46
Modded

My Ride: E36/E46 M3 E46 323
your dealer can have it programed to beep or not beep when you arm / disarm.

are you sure you have an alarm though?
Old 03-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #20
Scott87

My Ride: 325ci 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsSon View Post
My car flashes it's lights once for lock but when i unlock i don't get two flashes. Is this a fault or normal on UK cars? My little red light inside flashes when it's locked and the alarm system works OK.

Thanks.
Scott87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible signal, beep, lock, remote beep, siren, unlock