E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
Scott_Shelli

My Ride: 2003 330i
I bought the Fierce UHP's...

Since I drive so many miles, I figured I'd take a chance on the Fierce UHP's, to see if they are acceptable. If I ended up not liking them, it would only be a few months until I wore them out.

Much to my surprise, I really like them. They're quiet, grippy, and handle the corners exceptionally well. At $115 per tire (225 45 17), I don't mind running them AT ALL!

You young guys will want something your buddies think are cool (or kewl), so ignore my thread. But for the guys who buy tires for a good ride and great performance, these inexpensive tires do a great job.

Scott_Shelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
Dunbar

My Ride: '04 330i ZHP 6MT
Curious, why not the Sumitomo HTR ZIII at that price?
Dunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #3
bender
hammer talks like this

My Ride: 2006 Honda insight
Send a message via AIM to bender
How many miles have you rode on them so far?
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
Scott_Shelli

I like the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetrical and these tires are very close to the same tread pattern. I've only put a few hundred miles on them, so I'm not sure about longevity yet.

I have no desire to run the Sumitomo HTR ZIII. My goal wasn't necessarily to buy a cheaper tire, but I found a tread pattern I liked and it happened to come in an inexpensive alternative. The Fierce line of tires are pretty new (Goodyear owns Kelly, Kelly owns Fierce) and they seem to be trying to "buy" market share in the segment we fit. They don't make very many different tread patterns and aren't trying to please everyone. To me, that sounds like an outfit selling a quality product cheaper than would ordinarily be the case.

Last edited by Scott_Shelli; 07-02-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:32 AM   #5
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Why didn't you just get some General Exclaim UHPs 225/45/17 for $90 instead of $115?
Old 07-03-2009, 02:35 AM   #6
Scott_Shelli

Well, I didn't buy the General's, or any other tire, because I saw these and liked the tread pattern. I also like to support the local independent tire shop that gives me great service. My reason for posting this thread was not to defend or explain all the reasons why I didn't buy every other tire on the market... It was to say, "I personally like the Fierce UHP and many people probably haven't heard of them. So, if you would like an additional alternative to buying whatever The Tire Rack is pushing this month, check them out."

Old 07-03-2009, 02:38 AM   #7
Chris-TK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Shelli View Post
Well, I didn't buy the General's, or any other tire, because I saw these and liked the tread pattern. I also like to support the local independent tire shop that gives me great service. My reason for posting this thread was not to defend or explain all the reasons why I didn't buy every other tire on the market... It was to say, "I personally like the Fierce UHP and many people probably haven't heard of them. So, if you would like an additional alternative to buying whatever The Tire Rack is pushing this month, check them out."
I was merely posing a question, not trying to attack you.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:42 AM   #8
Scott_Shelli

Oh, I didn't think you were attacking me... Sorry, if I seemed defensive.

I am just really impressed with these tires, for such an affordable price. I usually run Yokohama's that cost me $167 each, and they aren't as nice of a ride as these.

Thanks for the comment... I'll try not to sound so harsh with my replies! MY bad!

Old 07-03-2009, 02:44 AM   #9
Chris-TK

It's cool, you need to learn that I'm not a d!ck all the time.

Where did you pick these up? Tire shop chain or a local place?
Old 07-03-2009, 02:59 AM   #10
Scott_Shelli

At a local independent tire shop - Far West Tire. I like giving the small shops as much business as I can. They don't have big advertising budgets and herds of employee's to post threads on every enthusiast forum online. They are just some hard working guys trying to give great customer service!

Old 07-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #11
Arsevader

My Ride: '90 325i, '02 325it
I believe that this is Kelly/GoodYear's budget tire line.

- James

'85 E30 325e
'90 E30 325i
'02 E46 325it
'03 E46 320i

'96 Volvo 850R

Arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #12
Scott_Shelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsevader View Post
I believe that this is Kelly/GoodYear's budget tire line.
Correct

Old 11-18-2010, 03:02 AM   #13
tempelife

My Ride: E46
I bought some Fierce UHP for my 2001 330i, and I really don't like them all that much. While they did last about 34,000 miles, probably close to 8,000 miles were wide open highway miles. Two weeks previous to tonight, my left front wheel well area was making a small but noticeable vibration. I thought I had a problem with my suspension and was going to get it looked at when I had a chance. Then, tonight on the freeway, I started hearing a noise from the same wheel well getting louder and louder. I got off on the next exit to check out the problem. My front left Fierce UHP tire (225/45/17), had a half circle of tread on the innner half of the tire rip clean off as it was dangling from the rest of the tire. The tread was obviously banging on the inside of my wheel well when I was driving. I had to stop at AM/PM late night and ask for a knife to cut off the strip near its failure point. I drove home gingerly on surface streets as the radial belts are exposed. I personally will never buy this tire again. It may do alright for a pretty casual driver, but I drive my car very hard. I had only purchased the Fierce UHP's due a limited selection in a semi-emergency as I had flat when I was out of town in Vegas. I have used many different brands including those on my old Camaro Z28. For the money, I just think nothing compares to the Kuhmo Ecsta line. They have never shredded on me and can take a nail like a champion. Furthermore, the Kumho traction, quietness, and treadwear are better than the competition of comparably price tire for about $100. I've even had the much more expensive high-end Goodyears (can't remember if Eagle or GS series anymore) shred on me. Like I said, I drive hard which really allows one to more easily discern tire quaility. Due to the danger involved at higher speed, shredding is about the most unacceptable problem a tire can cause. If your're a Sunday driver, tire selection probably doesn't matter as much as those tires will experience much less cumulative stress from driving. That's my experience. I love Kumhos.
tempelife is offline   Reply With Quote